As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's [Science!]

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh man. So I got chills seeing that new pillars of creation image.

Some things are too vast and too amazing to really process properly.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Heeey... Fermi Bubbles are new science discovered by Fermi né GLAST telescope, not something predicted by its physicist-awesomekin namesake.

Badass-sauce

The telescope was named after the physicist, so in a way the bubbles are named after the physicist.

But yeah, it's not the same as the naming of the Fermi Paradox or it's like.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Heeey... Fermi Bubbles are new science discovered by Fermi né GLAST telescope, not something predicted by its physicist-awesomekin namesake.

Badass-sauce

The telescope was named after the physicist, so in a way the bubbles are named after the physicist.

But yeah, it's not the same as the naming of the Fermi Paradox or it's like.

Right, mostly excited about finding something unexpected so close to home, and I was big into astronomy when NASA did the public naming thing. And Fermi was a god damned badass.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Launch aborted this morning, the live stream sounded like they couldn't verify the range was clear. Next launch attempt is on the 9th.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    taking the best picture of the Andromeda Galaxy yet, and much more.

My bad, this was just a preview to the image being released in full today

http://i.imgur.com/wlBnbON.jpg

4000 x 1279 view of Andromeda Galaxy.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Since it's been a space day, albeit, an abortive one...
    20150104.png

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ... Earth is eventually fucked // it's time to stop pressing our luck.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    This is pretty cool.
    If you sweep a laser pointer across the Moon fast enough, you can create spots that actually move faster than light. Anyone can do it...

Flashes, dubbed "photonic booms" because they are directly analogous to sonic booms, may be detectable on the Moon, on passing asteroids, on fast moving shadows cast on reflecting dust clouds near variable stars, and on objects illuminated by the rapidly rotating beam of a pulsar, said Nemiroff, author of a study accepted for publication by the Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, with a preliminary version available online at http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.7581 . "And if detected, we could learn more about all of these objects," said Nemiroff...

To reveal the size and surface features of asteroids passing near the Earth, a laser beam might be swept across the rock's surface thousands of times a second, with each sweep forcing a harmless but telling photonic boom. The flashes could be recorded with high-speed cameras attached to large telescopes, potentially mapping out major features on the asteroid.

http://phys.org/news/2015-01-faster-than-light-illuminate-astronomical-secrets.html

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    This is pretty cool.
    If you sweep a laser pointer across the Moon fast enough, you can create spots that actually move faster than light. Anyone can do it...

Flashes, dubbed "photonic booms" because they are directly analogous to sonic booms, may be detectable on the Moon, on passing asteroids, on fast moving shadows cast on reflecting dust clouds near variable stars, and on objects illuminated by the rapidly rotating beam of a pulsar, said Nemiroff, author of a study accepted for publication by the Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, with a preliminary version available online at http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.7581 . "And if detected, we could learn more about all of these objects," said Nemiroff...

To reveal the size and surface features of asteroids passing near the Earth, a laser beam might be swept across the rock's surface thousands of times a second, with each sweep forcing a harmless but telling photonic boom. The flashes could be recorded with high-speed cameras attached to large telescopes, potentially mapping out major features on the asteroid.

http://phys.org/news/2015-01-faster-than-light-illuminate-astronomical-secrets.html

I... what...

I think I get it? That's... huh.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That is kind of a bizarre one, it's tricky to wrap your head around the concept of something without mass producing a shockwave. I'll have to think on this one a while I feel, but if it can be used like they say that is pretty awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That's in no way analogous to a sonic boom, at least from the blurb. A sonic boom is due to something passing through a medium faster than... well, sound/vibrations/general movement.

It's as analogous to a sonic boom as the sound of my typing, which hits the walls in front of and behind me at the same time despite the speed of sound being much slower than that.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    That's in no way analogous to a sonic boom, at least from the blurb. A sonic boom is due to something passing through a medium faster than... well, sound/vibrations/general movement.

It's as analogous to a sonic boom as the sound of my typing, which hits the walls in front of and behind me at the same time despite the speed of sound being much slower than that.

Makes sense to me.

The sweeping laser's splash moves faster than the speed of light across the surface of the moon or asteroid. So it's faster than the speed of light (similar to sound) when it moves through space (similar to air) and creates a visible byproduct (similar to an audible sonic boom).

Relevant, from the article:
    The physics that creates the photonic boom is tied to the faster-than-light sweep speeds of the illuminating spots and cast shadows. Specifically, a flash is seen by an observer when the speed of the scattered spot toward the observer drops from above the speed of light to below the speed of light. The phenomenon is possible only because the spots contain no mass and so cannot only move faster than light, but decelerate past the speed of light without violating Einstein's theory of special relativity.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Weird

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    This is pretty cool.

I... what...

It's simple. You sweep a laser beam across some object and watch the reflected light. If the spot of light traverses the object in such a way that it is moving toward you, it gets a little brighter (not in frequency, but in intensity--the spot is closer to you than it was a second ago, so the returned light from now is overlapping with the returned light from 1 second ago, which was delayed by traveling farther). If the topography of the object, and the speed at which you sweep the laser, is sufficient, the spot might move radially toward you at the speed of light. If this happens, all the returns from however long this lasts stack up and arrive instantly--the spot appears to suddenly become much brighter. If you sweep the beam across the object in the reverse direction, it will suddenly become much dimmer at that spot, so you can guess that it's probably not a surface albedo feature that increased the return.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

chrisnl wrote: »
    That is kind of a bizarre one, it's tricky to wrap your head around the concept of something without mass producing a shockwave. I'll have to think on this one a while I feel, but if it can be used like they say that is pretty awesome.
    There's no shockwave; the analogy to a sonic boom is in the sudden increase in intensity due to the source of the waves (the laser spot) moving towards you at the same speed as the waves move (in this case, the speed of light).

The laser spot isn't a "thing" anywhere except in our minds, and nothing's going faster than light. You are just shining a light on two different locations at two different times, and if the radial distance between those locations matches the distance light travels in your time interval the reflected light will return to you at the same time.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    This is pretty cool.

I... what...

It's simple. You sweep a laser beam across some object and watch the reflected light. If the spot of light traverses the object in such a way that it is moving toward you, it gets a little brighter (not in frequency, but in intensity--the spot is closer to you than it was a second ago, so the returned light from now is overlapping with the returned light from 1 second ago, which was delayed by traveling farther). If the topography of the object, and the speed at which you sweep the laser, is sufficient, the spot might move radially toward you at the speed of light. If this happens, all the returns from however long this lasts stack up and arrive instantly--the spot appears to suddenly become much brighter. If you sweep the beam across the object in the reverse direction, it will suddenly become much dimmer at that spot, so you can guess that it's probably not a surface albedo feature that increased the return.

No, that's not quite what's going on. At least, I don't think it is, but I'm pretty positive your closer and/or further comments has nothing to do with it.

This goes over it a bit, specifically from 1:00 to 1:30 (rest of video is awesome, too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvcpdfGUtQ

The speed of light says that a beam of light takes .0116 seconds to travel the moons diameter. Now imagine the shadow in that video is actually you pointing a laser pointer at the moon and swipe it side to side and I can guarantee you can do it in under .01 seconds. The moon's less than 2 inches wide from earth, and I can easily do that to a 20 foot wall just a few feet away. This means the point of the laser travels faster than light across the surface of the Moon, and I believe (layman here, so I very probably am wrong) the flashes are a build up of photon's that are released all at once instead of as the point travels across the surface, similar to how a sonic boom is a build up of the sound's pressure wave. If you were to watch the dot travel across it would appear to skip and each time it does skip it produces the tiny flash.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's the picard maneuver.

• Options
    Unnggghhh.... I do not like some of these usages of words like 'moves' and 'is' and 'sonic' and 'no mass'

But, they are getting coherent light to refelect off different bits if a body in such a way that diffrent bits of light (temporally and specially adjacent)interfere with each other and then can use this interference to determine details of depth?

Like, if you sweep across a parabolic surface with a radius the same as it's distance, and it is angled such that the period of the sweep is the same as the time it would take light to travel the the difference in radius between the nearest and most distant point from the projector, you'd get, like, total positive inference. All the returned light would get back at the same time.

And there are a bunch of other outcomes that could happen as well, and you can get the change in distant with respect to the change in angle out of them.

Neat.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsG8td7C5k

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Unnggghhh.... I do not like some of these usages of words like 'moves' and 'is' and 'sonic' and 'no mass'

But, they are getting coherent light to refelect off different bits if a body in such a way that diffrent bits of light (temporally and specially adjacent)interfere with each other and then can use this interference to determine details of depth?

Like, if you sweep across a parabolic surface with a radius the same as it's distance, and it is angled such that the period of the sweep is the same as the time it would take light to travel the the difference in radius between the nearest and most distant point from the projector, you'd get, like, total positive inference. All the returned light would get back at the same time.

And there are a bunch of other outcomes that could happen as well, and you can get the change in distant with respect to the change in angle out of them.

Neat.

This.

That article (and/or the people who gave that presentation) kind of ticks me off for how it pretends to be something it isn't.

EDIT: I wish they had talked about stuff correctly! And there is neat stuff there. Like, if you had observers standing at both ends of your beam sweep, they couldn't agree on which way the beam was going!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    DanHibiki wrote: »

In a way, that's what it seems to be. They even figured out how to have the thyroid regenerate after the fact. Based on that, this could be big for part of a functional HIV treatment by treating the harvested stem cells to have the double CCR5 deletion that removes the surface receptor that HIV needs to replicate; you would still be carrying the disease in reservoirs, but you might be able to go without any drugs.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    that's an interesting synergy from cancer treatment, since it's basically the same thing happening just as a side effect of chemo therapy.

This seems to be a nuke it all and re-populate approach, I wonder if in the future they'll just be able to target the Memory T cells alone.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    It's that time again: SpaceX's third try for the launch of CRS-5 to the International Space Station
    c9440565-6ef7-4bbe-914e-cedb20c57860_640x548.jpg
    The launch - if it's not delayed again - will occur at 4:47 AM EST, and will of course involve the first attempted recovery of the first stage of a rocket. In fact, there has just recently been an announcement that if the landing succeeds its footage will be replayed on the webcast shortly after Dragon makes orbit. The start of the landing procedure begins immediately after stage separation, and thus there will be no lengthy delay for said replay footage.

EDIT: And of course, the event itself: http://new.livestream.com/spacex/events/3665355

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Follow up post: The first stage made it to the barge, but came down too hard and broke. The ship is fine, but some equipment on the deck needs replacing. No video is available.

Overall, a teaching moment, I would say. I look forward to seeing the next try.

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    Follow up post: The first stage made it to the barge, but came down too hard and broke. The ship is fine, but some equipment on the deck needs replacing. No video is available.

For the first launch I've watched live (well, a few minutes behind), it was pretty awesome. The images towards the end from the outside of the ship showing the Sun coming over the horizon were amazing.

Shame the landing didn't work out.

This stuff makes me want to work on a PHD so I can go work with them...

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options

So... they were able to make the first stage land on the exact spot they wanted it to though? If all they need to do is soften the impact, that doesn't seem as hard as getting the accuracy.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    No, I am pretty confidant they will get it on the second try.

It is always a possibility that the barge smacked it from below.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    According to Elon Musk's twitter, the grid fins ran out of hydraulic fluid just before landing, so it may simply be that they lost the ability to precisely control the angle of approach for a level touchdown on the barge.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Why are they losing hydraulic fluid?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I would guess the same reasons aircraft run lose hydraulic fluid, pressure change and g-force.

As the pressure changes from one atmosphere to less the differential from inside to outside ends up putting more stress on all of the connections in the hydraulic system. Any nuts used to connect tubes start to develop slow leaks, the swaged tubes start to leak, pinhole leaks cans develops, and you lose more and more each time. That's not counting the amount lost due to leaks that develop due to stresses caused by g-force.

At several thousand PSI on the ground even titanium hydraulic tubing can take a beating.

• Options
    Among many other things, the SR-71 Blackbird was famous for being a leaky seive for fuel when on the ground.

• Options
    Among many other things, the SR-71 Blackbird was famous for being a leaky seive for fuel when on the ground.

That was more a heat expansion thinger

• Options
    edited January 2015

B-1B bombers are just as bad
    (The black rectangles and shadows on there are where the concrete is stained with hydraulic fluid)

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    As the pressure changes from one atmosphere to less the differential from inside to outside ends up putting more stress on all of the connections in the hydraulic system.

Stress, vibration, thermal cycling I'd give you, but if changing the total pressure differential by an insignificant 14 psi causes hydraulic leaks you've got bigger problems.

• Options
    edited January 2015

They're losing hydraulic fluid because they're running an open-loop system: they have pressurized tanks spewing the fluid through the mechanisms and out apertures on the exterior of the vehicle. Why have an open loop system vs closed loop? Because having a closed-loop system requires a very large power supply which is very, very heavy and adds a lot of complexity to a vehicle that's only going to be flying for 10-minute stretches at a time anyways.

Edit: also, it makes the plumbing very similar to the fuel tanks (which are pressurized exactly the same way, by ramming them full of pressurized inert gasses like Nitrogen or Helium) which could add yet more cost savings in terms of development time and shared components with the rest of the craft's subsystems.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBXOUCP518g

Fast forward to 7:20 and prepare to facepalm harder than you have ever facepalmed in the history of existence.

• Options

Fast forward to 7:20 and prepare to facepalm harder than you have ever facepalmed in the history of existence.

fuck.... I thought I was ready to see anything... I was not

This discussion has been closed.