As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Are Humble Bundle emails taking a while to be sent? I got my Paypal receipt but no Humble Bundle email.

Edit: Got it after 7-8 minutes. Yay

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Nice that Humble didn't try to run up the average with an extra game that cost $10+ this time.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Thanks to @Incidium for Gaucamelee.

It looks luchadorable!

Also, still giving away Tomb Raider:

signature.png

Taramoor on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Behold: FREEDOM!
    FB61A57F69970CD25FE635076EDDE9B4A86F4977

AAA435A8B66785A004CE2BDC4C3281BD19B0EB19

137 hours and 56/64 achievements later, I put Kings Bounty Warriors of the North to rest. I loved it, but good lord could it use some trimming. It would be a better game if it was edited down to something more in the 30-70 hour range. (Important note: If you get the ability that lures troops away from the enemy, they will actually join you if you have less than the max stack allowed by your leadership. If I had figured this out ahead of the, say, 120 hour mark, it would have let me top off my dragon stacks and move things along much more quickly.)

Thanks again to the incomparable @Ashe for gifting me this game way back in July. I hope that the game being functionally my second full time job in 2014 is a testament to my appreciation. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    First come first serve Humble Bundle leftovers: (Let me know if you take it so I can edit it out)

Edit: Also:

signature.png

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I already have everything in that Humble Bundle except for one of the games, so I will pass on it for now. Really good bundle though!
    Talus9952 wrote: »

Super House of Dead Ninjas is so good! I played the hell out of it last year. And because of this, I just bought the DLC.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    @Iolo So what's next?

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Monaco, first come first serve:

Gosh, quite a Humble Bundle... wonder what the last unlock could be?

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    @Iolo So what's next?

Broken Age, @akajaybay, so I can go back to reading the thread again. Not much point reading it when every post is a cascading series of spoiler tags. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Are Humble Bundle emails taking a while to be sent? I got my Paypal receipt but no Humble Bundle email.

I am assuming things are going to be slow for this one. Its not even 3 hours in and they've sold 93k copies. Emails announcing it to the regulars just went out/were received.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

137 hours and 56/64 achievements later, I put Kings Bounty Warriors of the North to rest. I loved it, but good lord could it use some trimming. It would be a better game if it was edited down to something more in the 30-70 hour range. (Important note: If you get the ability that lures troops away from the enemy, they will actually join you if you have less than the max stack allowed by your leadership. If I had figured this out ahead of the, say, 120 hour mark, it would have let me top off my dragon stacks and move things along much more quickly.)

Thanks again to the incomparable @Ashe for gifting me this game way back in July. I hope that the game being functionally my second full time job in 2014 is a testament to my appreciation. :)

I am going to admit this here. I own all three of the Kings Bounty Games (The Legend, Armored Princess, Warriors of the North). I have not completed a single one. They're all so incredibly massive.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    I did not get any email with the links myself.
    So I used the Lost Key/Humble Bundle Key Resender link on their site and got an email which included the current bundle links almost instantly: https://www.humblebundle.com/?s=resender

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I have Dust, Antichamber and Monaco as Humble Bundle leftovers.

I guess PM me if you'd like one?

Peewi on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Humble Temptation. Must stay vigilant.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Humble Temptation. Must stay vigilant.

Which ones do you want? I have dust up for grabs. I am sure someone else has the others

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Must you really? It's a really good bundle.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I am going to admit this here. I own all three of the Kings Bounty Games (The Legend, Armored Princess, Warriors of the North). I have not completed a single one. They're all so incredibly massive.

This makes me curious: what duration is massive? Because for me, something like FFXII, where I spent 280 hours and still have yet to beat/get everything, or Skyrim which took me 420 hours are massive games. Normal length games for me is more towards Darksiders, which took me 40-some, or others which can take as little as 20 hours. Anything below 20 hours I consider a short game.

So, what are the normal people's benchmarks?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

This makes me curious: what duration is massive? Because for me, something like FFXII, where I spent 280 hours and still have yet to beat/get everything, or Skyrim which took me 420 hours are massive games. Normal length games for me is more towards Darksiders, which took me 40-some, or others which can take as little as 20 hours. Anything below 20 hours I consider a short game.

6 hours is massive for me these days.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I only differentiate between short and long, and I think my cutoff for short game is 10 hours.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    These days, I consider a game that is 20 hours or more to be very long. Years ago, I would have considered that to be the average length of a good game.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have everything but Guacamelee left over! If you'd like anything send me a PM.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Thanks again to the incomparable Ashe for gifting me this game way back in July. I hope that the game being functionally my second full time job in 2014 is a testament to my appreciation. :)

I was the same way with the first two, @Goumindong. I played Kings Bounty and Armored Princess for about 50 hours each, and then got distracted by something shiny and never returned. It helped that I was able to be smarter early on with WotN. It's sooooo important to win as many battles as possible early without losing any troops. Leveling up that badge early helps enormously, limits the amount of runs back to various unit stores you have to make and keeps you from running out of your best unit. There are lots of badges that give incremental advantages that add up over time, like the one that counts the number of battles you cast Stoneskin. That's not a spell I would otherwise cast, but making sure to cast it every battle gave me first 3% and then 5% universal damage reduction. That really helps.

Getting the bear-mounted warrior maidens fairly early this time gave me a resurrection ability that let me finish more battles with no losses which let me inch forward in power level to not being constantly overwhelmed by average mobs. After that I always had at least one troop with a resurrection ability: Warrior Maidens, Inquisitors, Paladins, Demonologists, etc. Having units that could summon other units or spells/rage abilities that let me make troops also helped reduce the number of hits my main armies were taking. For much of the game my opening turn was almost always making a phantom stack of my red dragons and rage-summoning a lava golem to tank things up and deactivate missile units while my ranged units and AoE attacks hit from afar.

All of the games in the series are grindy as hell. But it's just soooo satisfying when you get that new unit that just wrecks house. The first time I got Giants in WotN and their absurdly OP groundstomp ability? Oooohhhh.... ;)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    akajaybay wrote: »
    @Iolo So what's next?

Broken Age, @akajaybay, so I can go back to reading the thread again. Not much point reading it when every post is a cascading series of spoiler tags. :)
    It's great. It should take you much less time.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I say "time spent to complete the game for a single run without 100%ing it not including cutscenes". From there 20 hours is a pretty big game. So something like say Xenosaga is a fairly short game, clocking in at about 10 hours to complete start to finish without cut scenes. Skyrim which has a lot of content will probably take you 20-30 hours to complete the majority of the quests if you dick around a lot even though you can enjoy it for far longer

I have 40-60 or so hours on my first real attempt at Kings Bounty Armored Princess and I am probably 60% through the main quest. But I am playing with an absolute 100% buzzsaw composition which never loses monsters (in AP Paladins can regain 100% of one lost troop, so you go in with a single stack of like paladins and just cast armageddon over and over and over again. Then your paladins/dragons/whatever fucking wreck house and because you lose nothing you can go right into the next battle with full rage and mana and slaughter the next set

Warriors in the North appears to be longer.

edit: And there are basically no cutscenes.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anybody play Banished? It looks like a really great city builder but I'm picking up a 3DS soon so I'm trying to only pick up a couple PC games for awhile. Strider and South Park are also on my list but I think I'm going to wait for those to be a bit cheaper.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Guacamelee is one of the best modern metroidvanias because you get to be a Luchador AND a chicken.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular

I say "time spent to complete the game for a single run without 100%ing it not including cutscenes". From there 20 hours is a pretty big game. So something like say Xenosaga is a fairly short game, clocking in at about 10 hours to complete start to finish without cut scenes. Skyrim which has a lot of content will probably take you 20-30 hours to complete the majority of the quests if you dick around a lot even though you can enjoy it for far longer

I have 40-60 or so hours on my first real attempt at Kings Bounty Armored Princess and I am probably 60% through the main quest. But I am playing with an absolute 100% buzzsaw composition which never loses monsters (in AP Paladins can regain 100% of one lost troop, so you go in with a single stack of like paladins and just cast armageddon over and over and over again. Then your paladins/dragons/whatever fucking wreck house and because you lose nothing you can go right into the next battle with full rage and mana and slaughter the next set

Warriors in the North appears to be longer.

My marks are Very Short for < 4 hours, Short for 5-10 hours, Average for 10-20, Long for 20-50, and and Very Long "I'm going to be at this for the next six months, please let it have Cloud saves so I can get in some game time on the train" for 51 - Whatever.

That's normally for completing the main story, plus a fair bit of side stuff, but not necessarily a 100% run.

• Options
    Wow. o.O

I do have to remember that video games are basically my only mode of entertainment (like, a good 85-90% of it, with the rest being occasional TV or movies if my leisure time doesn't allow a controller in my hand), so it makes sense my desire for a longer game would skew my thoughts on "normal" vs "short" games.

I also like playing games for months on end (provided the game is really enjoyable); it gives me a sense that I got a bargain. Also, I am almost always a 100%er.

I don't just beat the main story; I strangle every last bit of entertainment I can out of games.

• Options
    Eh: Games are my primary form of entertainment too but that doesn't mean that I can call the new X-Com a long game just because I've put 150 hours into it. Its not a 150 hour game, its like a 20 hour game, its decently lengthy

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Eh: Games are my primary form of entertainment too but that doesn't mean that I can call the new X-Com a long game just because I've put 150 hours into it. Its not a 150 hour game, its like a 20 hour game, its decently lengthy

I think this form of gorging myself on games comes from my lack of funds to consistently buy games ever since . . . well, forever. $40, 50, 60 bucks for a new game is totally untenable, and has been for me even when I had a full time job. So I had to learn to wait for games, buy them on the really cheap, and then play the fuck out of them. So like, if Oblivion took me 8 months (it did) and 400 hours to explore every dungeon, finish every quest, find every area on the map, etc. then that was a good 30 bucks spent. This stretches back to when 50 hours on FFVI was a short playthrough.

I kinda figured I deviated from the norm. I just wasn't so fully aware as to how far I was off. ;)

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    GTmFjpR.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm going to be at work for the next week, so if anyone picks up Banished I'd really appreciate any feedback you have about it as I've been following the development for some time. I really hope it's something interesting as it's clear this one guy has busted his ass to make it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    My scale is simple:
    < 4 hours = "I might actually finish this"
    4-10 hours = "It's possible I might finish this unless - oh look shiny!"
    10-40 hours = "Not looking good at all"
    40-100 hours = "The odds of completion are not at all in my favor"
    100+ hours = "Oh who am I kidding. I'm just playing this for the dress-up."

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The 100 hours is for the dress up part, not the actual gameplay, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy XIV for $15? Includes a month of sub?

Tempting just so I can see what all the fuss is about...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    really glad I picked up the Humble Bundle, it's been worth it just for Guacamelee so far! It's such a fun game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Gonna guess that one of the games to get unlocked is Giana Sisters: Rise of the Owlverlord, too.

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    This HB is amazing. If I wasn't in "backlog mode" I'd consider a buck for giana sisters because I heard great things about it. Dust is easily an amazing 7+ hour funfest and guacamelee from what little I've played so far (backlog mode) looks like it will give dust a run for its money.

Still haven't even touched the newest content for Valdis Story because Castlevania is taking 20+ damn hours to complete the main story.

Why do metroidvania's have to be so great?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I think this form of gorging myself on games comes from my lack of funds to consistently buy games ever since . . . well, forever. $40, 50, 60 bucks for a new game is totally untenable, and has been for me even when I had a full time job. So I had to learn to wait for games, buy them on the really cheap, and then play the fuck out of them. So like, if Oblivion took me 8 months (it did) and 400 hours to explore every dungeon, finish every quest, find every area on the map, etc. then that was a good 30 bucks spent. This stretches back to when 50 hours on FFVI was a short playthrough.

I kinda figured I deviated from the norm. I just wasn't so fully aware as to how far I was off. ;)

Maybe you're confusing things. Oblivion isn't a 400 hour game even if you put 400 hours into it. I've put at least 900 hours into League of Legends, but its not a "900 hour game"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy XIV for $15? Includes a month of sub?

Tempting just so I can see what all the fuss is about...

Well, I mean, I don't want to be an enabler, but some fuss might involve catgirls with pink hair/tails... or other such girls with pink hair. And for the Lightning Returns release event going on for about another week, you can get Lightning's hairstyle added to your available hairstyles to change to.

This discussion has been closed.