As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trans Five

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I dislike my X so goddamn much.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well I wasn't going to say anything Chico but your X kind of grosses me out.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It is really awful.

I just hope that someday someone will be willing to dig under it and find the beautiful, gleaming hoard that is my true self.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    they can feel patronizing or dishonest and sometimes it can come off as almost too complimentary, almost creepily so

I think it's one of those "If you're in doubt, then don't" sort of things.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Telling a group of people who call themselves Christians that they aren't really Christians just strikes me as silly and rude and no-true-scotsmany.

The more people you discount as not being real Christians, the fewer "actual" Christians there are, which means it's easier to act like you're a minority!

Yeah, how are you supposed to be both elitist and persecuted without some kind of paradoxical thinking?

Believing in contradicting things is not really unusual for a lot of religious people.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    It is really awful.

I just hope that someday someone will be willing to dig under it and find the beautiful, gleaming hoard that is my true self.

The problem is you tried to get it on your own. You want to wait for the delivery service.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Blake T wrote: »
    May I ask a question? Often when I see trans people complain about their looks and them not passing. Is it a bad thing for me as a cis person to comment if I think they do? Cause I've almost made those posts (and other times have) but worried that it looks kind of pandery? Are comments welcome or not?

Depends on the person.

I would say if you don't know them, then maybe say something generic like "you look great".
    Once (if) you get to know them, then you could tell what they like.

Some people I know aren't close enough for me to be comfortable with "passing" type comments.
    But if I'm wallowing over my 'passing' and my best friend says I shouldn't be, I trust her judgment on this subject because I know I have the occasional demon in my head telling me I suck.

tl;dr: depends on the person, depends on your relationship with that person

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    It is really awful.

Chico, to me you will always be a beautiful, gleaming-

Oh, you said "hoard".

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    passing as a quantifiable unit of personal measure for how society views your meeting the criteria of looking like a woman versus a self esteem thing are different entities. as uh, silly as it feels typing that out

im fine with how i look but uh i gotta go out of my goddamn way to be acknowledged as "she". obviously that sucks, but shit that is the situation

I know its a personal thing, I was just trying to say, theres a whole lot of world out there and a wonderful gaggle of different permutations of people in it, Sorry if I came across like an ass.

But if me coming across like an ass helped you be 1/10th of one percent less concerned, worried, or whatever, then I'll gladly be the biggest ass I can be :cold_sweat:

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Urgh, someone started an argument on the Twokinds forum over what gender pro-noun to use for describing Natani (who is a transmale and a fantastic character).

The excuses that came up basically came down to 'He's just oppressed by sexism', 'He occasionally does girly things and has a crush on a man' and 'he was born in a female body so must be female'.

Now I feel kinda depressed.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sometimes it's hard not to try and say something encouraging but I hold back because I don't want to be read the wrong way or hurt anyone unintentionally.

The thing is, trans people "passing" sometimes sounds like the women who are totally attractive/cute/beautiful but think they aren't "pretty" because it isn't the Photoshopped standard from magazines, television and movies.

It's not a perfect analogue I know. It's so much deeper than beauty and sometimes your health and safety can depend on it. I just wish people could cut themselves more slack about appearances.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I just wish people could cut themselves more slack about appearances.
    Not your fault, but this made me think of cutters.

Now I'm sad.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    I found out that the surgeon had also narrowed the nasal bone a bit during my jaw surgery.

I am happy with this.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    "Passing" as a compliment strikes me as weird because it's basically saying "Way to go on living up to our culture's arbitrary standards!" when the person just wants to look and feel the way they want. It also implies that the goal is to pass, which seems like a bad thing?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Nija wrote: »

Now I'm sad.

Now I'm sad. :'(

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Nija wrote: »

Now I'm sad.

Now I'm sad. :'(

P1010227-M1.jpg

Nobody can be sad with pictures of Corgi Huskies!

• Options
    Cuskies?

Hurgis?

Corkies?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How about beautiful landscape? moonboulders.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what the fuck are you guys doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQHQL--_oCE

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That's totally a fake.

you can see fence posts in distance! MAN NEVER WENT TO THE MOON #Teachthecontroversy

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That's totally a fake.

you can see fence posts in distance! MAN NEVER WENT TO THE MOON #Teachthecontroversy

for a brief few moments, I thought those were grave crosses.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

That's totally a fake.

Ha ha, no, we stopped doing that eons ago

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

That's totally a fake.

Some say that it was..a grave mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

• Options
    edited March 2014

That's totally a fake.

Some say that it was..a grave mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

You think you're watching a meteor shower?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Oh, concerning transgender athletes

they even got some quotes from my surgeon, Dr. Marci Bowers

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I'm back in Portland after a long train ride. I bawled like a baby half the way back.

Anyway, I can't make phone calls or send text messages because I have no phone service. And I can't pm people here because lolmobilesite? So if anyone needs to reach me just like... send a raven.

Or a Facebook message.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    sure, as a statement about one thing, that's kinda fine. At least for me personally. But if it's a general statement about passing/etc, then it's kind of eeehhhh
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I found out that the surgeon had also narrowed the nasal bone a bit during my jaw surgery.

I am happy with this.

This is awesome but

How did he sneakily get to your nose while mucking about with your jaw??? Surely thats a noticable difference/distance away isnt it?? Did he not make an incision??

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you never heard that song?

The nose bone's connected to the... jaw bone

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »
    sure, as a statement about one thing, that's kinda fine. At least for me personally. But if it's a general statement about passing/etc, then it's kind of eeehhhh
    Psykoma wrote: »

I am happy with this.

This is awesome but

How did he sneakily get to your nose while mucking about with your jaw??? Surely thats a noticable difference/distance away isnt it?? Did he not make an incision??

I don't honestly know.

Maybe there's a small incision deep in my nose, or maybe he could snake his way from my jaw?
    Didn't think to ask :/

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Thats totally metallllllllllll

If you get a chance, ask him for me. Tell him kochi is curious

• Options
    edited March 2014
    When my dad had a brain tumour removed the surgeon cut along above his hairline and folded his face down out of the way. Apparently the muscles of your face aren't affixed to your skull so it just kind of flops out of the way!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Well so much for dinner

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    When my dad had a brain tumour removed the surgeon cut along above his hairline and folded his face down out of the way. Apparently the muscles of your face aren't affixed to your skull so it just kind of flops out of the way!

Theres a few segments where muscle attaches to bone.

Mainly in your temples and your lower jaw, so's you can munch foods.

• Options
    Eugh. It looks like I'm sleeping outside this weekend.

• Options
    Sorry. I didn't mean to kill the thread.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Eugh. It looks like I'm sleeping outside this weekend.

:(

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    My shelter won't let me in until Monday since I left, and the other women's shelter is full.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    That's terrible.

• Options
    It's my own fault. I knew I would lose my bed if I left.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    if you still want to exhaust any of the resources i mentioned hit me up. also, fault? shit, they uniformly were fuckheads

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
This discussion has been closed.