As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the wrestling thread in: STEPHANIE MCMAHON'S DOLLHOUSE OF DOOM

crwthcrwth THAT'S ITRegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in Social Entropy++
fmxocPA.jpg

CM Punk, one of the WWE's biggest stars, appears to have retired from the company, reportedly telling bosses he is 'going home', being removed from future wrestling events and thanking fans for their 'support' on Twitter.

The wrestler has had numerous run-ins with the promotion's chairman Vince McMahon in the past and it seems an undisclosed straw broke the camel's back on Monday night, with F4WOnline.com reporting that Punk – real name Phillip Jack Brooks – announced that he was going home ahead of an edition of weekly show RAW.

Punk missed this scheduled appearance and also his next at a Smackdown event in Toledo, Ohio the following day, with his name having now been removed from all future events (bar Elimination Chamber) on the WWE website.

This comes just weeks before the promotion's biggest annual event, Wrestlemania, which will take place in New Orleans on April 6.

yujSiDy.gif

damn y'all im legit sad about this but i am ALSO excited about THE ELIMINATION CHAMBER

0MEZyfl.jpg

and if you read the smackdown spoilers or if you watched smackdown and then read this OP then you'll know why!

oh and talk about other wrestling promotions that i don't know about too!

EzUAYcn.png
crwth on

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Even with the Punk thing I'm still excited about the companies build toward EC and Mania.

Also everyone watch National Pro Wrestling Day on Saturday at 1 pm. It's for free on YouTube and there might be some major developments in the whole Chikara clusterfuck plus a bunch of great matches. Just go to http://nationalprowrestlingday.com and the stream will be there.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    I fucking love punk.
    He is the reason I watch on Monday nigmiss a now instead of like Wednesday when I get home from work.
    He took a product that was as a stale as can be and made it exciting And something that you have to tune in to live so you don't mind thing.

That being said I don't really understand what he is upset about?
    Because it can't be his booking...

This time 2 years ago he was champion for 2 or 3 months and the top guy in the company.

This time one year ago he had just dropped the title to the rock after b being champion for over a year and the longest reigning champion in 20 years

Then he gets a main event program with The Undertaker at mania and a main event program against Brock Lesnar at summer slam

So what is the problem exactly? He has been booked and treated better than everyone in the company the last 2 years
    So a few months of bad booking and he is "fed up?"

If the problem is he is tired and burned out than sure take the time you need but if he is unhappy with his booking I cannot support him on that venture

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Also, if you watch NPWD, please consider donating to Against Malaria. I don't want to be that guy, but it's a good cause, and it's what NPWD is all about.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Also, if you watch, please consider donating to Against Malaria. I don't want to be that guy, but it's a good cause, and it's what NPWD is all about.

Yeah I should have mentioned that as well. Every little bit helps.

• Options
    Wow they're a quarter of the way to their goal already. I don't doubt they'll make it at the event itself, and I'll be really happy when/if they do.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    There is a large part of me that hopes this is the WWE/Punk pulling one over on the IWC.

• Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    There is a large part of me that hopes this is the WWE/Punk pulling one over on the IWC.

We'll probably find out at the Chicago Raw right after EC.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    I fucking love punk.
    He is the reason I watch on Monday nigmiss a now instead of like Wednesday when I get home from work.
    He took a product that was as a stale as can be and made it exciting And something that you have to tune in to live so you don't mind thing.

That being said I don't really understand what he is upset about?
    Because it can't be his booking...

This time 2 years ago he was champion for 2 or 3 months and the top guy in the company.

This time one year ago he had just dropped the title to the rock after b being champion for over a year and the longest reigning champion in 20 years

Then he gets a main event program with The Undertaker at mania and a main event program against Brock Lesnar at summer slam

So what is the problem exactly? He has been booked and treated better than everyone in the company the last 2 years
    So a few months of bad booking and he is "fed up?"

If the problem is he is tired and burned out than sure take the time you need but if he is unhappy with his booking I cannot support him on that venture

It's probably a combination of things. He's tired, he's been hurt since Mania and got re-injured at least once in the last two months, had only one month of rest before this, is immediately coming off fan outrage at his friend being pushed aside for a full-timer (who's admittedly only there for 2 years) coming back for an immediate title shot/win, and was at the moment booked for a feud with the worst version of Kane in his career that would lead up to a (likely) loss to Hunter at Mania. Add in the fact that (as I mentioned in the previous thread) even in the Helwani interview last week, it was apparent that he was depressed at how pretty much all of his efforts in 2011 amounted to nothing at worst, a temporary change that shortly after regressed back to the sad norm at best. Plus the fact that his contract (which is still going despite him walking away) ends in July.

This is one of those situations where it was not one thing that resulted in his decision, it was numerous things that built up to the point where he just said "I need to go". And as bad as him going is, he's one of the few people in wrestling who is smart with his money. He's been in the business a while, and the WWE for a while. Financially, he no longer needs them. He could retire right now and be good (and he's even said numerous times he doesn't want to still be going in wrestling when he's 40, which isn't too far off).

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I've always believed the good wrestlers kayfabe til the day they die

they must take an oath or something

the crazy wrestlers get the benefit of the doubt because of this

but I think all the crazy run-ins balance that out kinda

Xehalus on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I won't be surprised if this is real, but at the same time, this is such a CM Punk thing to do in terms of storyline (and there's a legit kayfabe reason for him to be pissed at the authority) so who knows

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Punk's problem is also that he cares about how all of the young guys are booked not just himself. It's definitely the fact that part timers come in and they go over guys who are there all the time busting their ass everyday. It's not the first time he's complained about that either. If people are going to come back part time they all need to be treated like Jericho and RVD where they might win on RAW against lower card guys in competitive matches that make the full timer look good, then go to PPV and put over the new guy. They don't need wins, they are over no matter what.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I stopped reading that post when you said "worst version of kane"

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Assuran wrote: »

We'll probably find out at the Chicago Raw right after EC.

His contract's up in July. If he's not back at EC or that Raw, he's likely not at Mania, and if he's not at Mania, he's not coming back. Obviously mindsets could change between now and a few weeks (like that first time Austin walked out and came back a few weeks later), but right now it doesn't look too good.

It didn't help that WWE is being vague (whether intentional or not) about Mania and PPV pay, which could genuinely fuck over their workers depending on if they need bonuses. Right now if you're a WWE superstar, there pretty much is a lot to complain about between non-regular workers getting the attention, the same guys getting the belts and main events, the fans revolting in two shows in under a year now and booing you just because you aren't somebody else, and PPVs being treated like TV in terms of pay and bonuses possibly being eliminated altogether once the Network hits.
    Hullis wrote: »
    I stopped reading that post when you said "worst version of kane"

Physically he's not, and I may have neglected Katie Vick-story Kane in that post (which granted isn't his fault), but I don't know what to tell you if you honestly like Suited Kane more than Anger Management Kane.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Punk always seemed to be the kind of guy that would continue to wrestle until he didn't enjoy it.

Seems like he reached that point, and more power to him. More people need to know when to let go.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    maybe he got the role to be the next Wolverine

or he wants to be a part of the Blackhawk's current playoff run

either way when Sheamus ran out with Bryan and Cena it did make me ask what happened to Punk

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Also everybody watch Smackdown because most* of it's good this week
    *RIP PTP :[

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »

either way when Sheamus ran out with Bryan and Cena it did make me ask what happened to Punk

The thing is Punk being gone just means the opportunity for another guy to step up in his place.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular

The thing is Punk being gone just means the opportunity for them to bring in another part-time guy to prop up the ratings.

Fixed that for you.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    411Randle wrote: »

The thing is Punk being gone just means the opportunity for them to bring in another part-time guy to prop up the ratings.

Fixed that for you.

Well they do still have RVD.

• Options

I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS.

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS.

Fixed that for you.

I feel like if I started doing that, it would be the only thing I ever got to post in this thread.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options

Fixed that for you.

This does make re-watching Punk's pipe-bomb sad.

"I'm just another spoke in the wheel. The wheel's gonna keep on turning, and I understand that!"

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Is that such a terrible thing, though?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Just like Wade Barrett on TV!

• Options

Fixed that for you.

This does make re-watching Punk's pipe-bomb sad.

"I'm just another spoke in the wheel. The wheel's gonna keep on turning, and I understand that!"

That's not sad, it's the wrestling business as a whole.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    In other news.

2596105-6094290575-0129-.jpg
    2596106-3051271859-0129-.jpg
    Former WWE champion

Matt Hardy was arrested at a motel in Virginia earlier this month ... after allegedly getting into a fight with his wrestler wife ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Just look at the mug shots of Hardy and 27-year-old

-- both appear bloody and scratched up.

Hardy has multiple scratch marks all over his face and Sky -- real name Rebecca Hardy -- appears to be sporting a fat lip, black eye and several small cuts on her face.

Law enforcement tells TMZ Sports ... cops raced to the Hampton Inn in Emporia, VA on January 1st around 5:45 AM after someone at the hotel call 911.

During the 911 call, obtained by TMZ Sports, the hotel staffer told the operator ... "A guest just came down here and said somebody's beating the hell out of his wife a girl or something."

When cops arrived to the scene, both Matt and Sky were arrested for assault and battery. They were released on $3,500 bail

• Options
    Apparently Matt and Reby are back together.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    WWE has signed a new famous indy talent that has been getting raved reviews!

CP Munk!

Cpmunkside.jpg

WWE has been quoted as saying

"You'll go nuts over him".

Cade on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So...this happened in early January and we just found out about it today?

Assuran on
  • Options
    Man fuck CM Punk, CP Munk is funny

• Options
    Cade wrote: »
    WWE has signed a new famous indy talent that has been getting raved reviews!

CP Munk!

Cpmunkside.jpg

WWE has been quoted as saying

"You'll go nuts over him".

And his tag team partner...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6JMeKSjBYQY

• Options
    Too soon, wirehead.

Too soon.

#RIPDragonDragon

• Options
    With the second annual NPWD happening on Saturday here's a match from the first one from last year which also is a good representation of Chikara in general.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5bY868ZE0mg

• Options
    ... y'know, Los Ice Creams and the Colony don't have a match listed, and Icarus and 3.0 are obviously central to the Ashes narrative... Interesting. Probably nothing, but interesting.

• Options
    WWEs twitter unfollowed Punk

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    WWEs twitter unfollowed Punk

I'd say it's official at this point.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Well with the massive snow storm that hit my area yesterday the roads are still fucked so I can stay home and watch Main Event tonight.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The fucked up part about the dirt sheets saying that Daniel Bryan is going to take Punk's spot in the match at Mania is that it means they had no real plan for a feud for the most over guy in the company.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    The fucked up part about the dirt sheets saying that Daniel Bryan is going to take Punk's spot in the match at Mania is that it means they had no real plan for a feud for the most over guy in the company.

Not a day before though they reported Bryan might win the title at EC and be put in the main event with Randy and Dave so who knows what the fuck will happen now. Don't forget the rumors before of Bryan and Sheamus as well.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I understand why he's annoyed, agree with him on most of his points as a fan, and don't have a problem with a guy deciding it's not worth the money to keep going out there if he's not feeling it.

But if this isn't a work, then I can't really muster up a lot of sad that he's leaving either. He had a great run.

This discussion has been closed.