As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    This week's eShop update

Switch Download

ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’98 – $7.99
    ACA NEOGEO METAL SLUG 3 – $7.99
    ACA NEOGEO NAM-1975 – $7.99
    ACA NEOGEO SHOCK TROOPERS – $7.99
    ACA NEOGEO WAKU WAKU 7 – $7.99
    ACA NEOGEO WORLD HEROES PERFECT – $7.99
    Blaster Master Zero – $9.99
    Voez – $24.99

Weren't the NEOGEO games bundled for cheaper on the Japanese store for the switch? Or did I read that wrong in a games to import/play article.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well if they get Gal fighters, Card Fighters, or one of the other games I played often I will get it
    But I am still amazed my Neo Geo still works even going with me where it did

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This week's eShop update

Switch Download

Voez – $24.99

Weren't the NEOGEO games bundled for cheaper on the Japanese store for the switch? Or did I read that wrong in a games to import/play article.

I think those are the same prices the company lists for their releases on the PS4/Xbox One.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Went ahead and picked up Shovel Knight and Blaster Master.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Blaster Master Zero is pretty fantastic from what I've played so far. It's a really fun retro-style platformer/shooter/isometric hybrid thing. It's a real steal for ten bucks, especially on the Switch with its currently-tiny library.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    This week's eShop update

Switch Download

Voez – $24.99

I think those are the same prices the company lists for their releases on the PS4/Xbox One.

Yeah I guess I misread the article where they mentioned the NEOGEO games, the way I read it seemed to imply they were one ACA NEOGEO collection, not individual titles.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I find it odd there are NEOGEO games on Switch but they are somehow not virtual console.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Oh shit Bomberman 64! That is one hundred percent a thing that is happening.

Bomberman is probably one of the top ten games in terms of time played I had for the N64.

That multiplayer was real real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_l-_sxzFPM

• Options
    I loved Bomberman 64 as a kid. The story mode was a lot of fun... Plus picking up a bomb and then making it big was great.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This week's eShop update

Switch Retail

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ – $39.99

Switch Download

ACA NeoGeo The King of Fighters ’94 – $7.99
    Human Resource Machine – $9.99
    Little Inferno – $9.99
    World of Goo – $9.99

Wii U Download

ACE – Alien Cleanup Elite – $5.00
    Double Breakout II – $7.00
    Sky Force Anniversary – $9.99
    Sudoku Party – $4.99
    VRog – $4.99

Wii U Virtual Console

Picross 3D – $9.99

3DS Download

Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey in suburbs #2 – $14.99
    Sudoku Party – $5.00

New 3DS Download

Double Breakout – $9.99

3DS Demo

Fairune2

eShop Sales

All Monster Hunter games on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are now up to 66 percent off until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 22. Join the hunt today! Check out the full list of deals on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I didn't realize Afterbirth was so expensive... Does it come with the original or something?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's basically the super deluxe version. If I remember correctly the original was in Flash so they remade it with a better engine and more content as Rebirth. They then added a bunch of items/rooms/enemies and called that Afterbirth. They then did more content and a playable character or two and added mod support to the Steam version as Afterbirth+. I think their intention was to highlight some user created stuff every month but I'm not certain if that will translate to the console versions.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I imagine it's more that the game has been out for significant while on PC so at this point and (in their projections) this has reduced the pool of potential low price impulse purchasers such that you'll make more selling at a higher price to those who are more actively seeking it out.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing the prices for MH4U lower yet on the Nintendo website, can anyone confirm if it's actually on sale? I have a friend group where $10 is basically impulse buy territory.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing the prices for MH4U lower yet on the Nintendo website, can anyone confirm if it's actually on sale? I have a friend group where $10 is basically impulse buy territory.

Yeah I haven't seen that either, nor have I seen anything from Capcom announcing it and they're usually pretty good about it.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    The Blaster Master Zero trailer does absolutely nothing for me, but literally every single person who's played it says it's a must-buy, so I feel like I should give it a shot when I get a Switch. It looks janky and stiff to me, but I imagine it's actually fluid and fun in the moment-to-moment?

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    The Blaster Master Zero trailer does absolutely nothing for me, but literally every single person who's played it says it's a must-buy, so I feel like I should give it a shot when I get a Switch. It looks janky and stiff to me, but I imagine it's actually fluid and fun in the moment-to-moment?
    Giant Bomb was very cold on it, it's very reminiscent of the original, with all the flaws included.

• Options
    I mean it's basically Blaster Master. If you liked the original you'll like this one. It kinda feels like Metroid for me so I'm digging it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Yeah I haven't seen that either, nor have I seen anything from Capcom announcing it and they're usually pretty good about it.

OK, Capcom tweeted about it just now and the sale is visible on the website so maybe it's just a time zone thing.

MHG: $20
    MH3U: $10 3DS/$14 Wii U
    MH4U: $20

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Oh man those are good prices...

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    getting the last 3 (and arguably) best mon huns for 50 bones is a good deal

thats about 1500 hours worth of content there

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    getting the last 3 (and arguably) best mon huns for 50 bones is a good deal

thats about 1500 hours worth of content there

Per game...

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Giant Bomb was very cold on it, it's very reminiscent of the original, with all the flaws included.

I wouldn't go that far; I never quite got into the original, but I love this one, so it must be doing something different.

The main thing is that in the original, I felt like the top-down portions were required speed bumps that got in the way of the "good" parts, but here, I like them just as much or more than the vehicle sections, and can't wait to get to the next one.
    urahonky wrote: »
    I mean it's basically Blaster Master. If you liked the original you'll like this one. It kinda feels like Metroid for me so I'm digging it.

Agreed, though as above, I think it's easier to get into even for those who found the original too inaccessible.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I consider myself to be a pretty big NES fan, and I'd never even heard of the original. How do so many people remember it?! I feel young and out of the loop.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I consider myself to be a pretty big NES fan, and I'd never even heard of the original. How do so many people remember it?! I feel young and out of the loop.

Wow really? It was pretty popular. It was by Sunsoft

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Not gonna lie, I'm from the original NES generation and even I had no idea about it. I kept confusing it with Math Blaster at first. I did think it was strange that an edutainment math game was coming to the Switch.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I was going to say Master Blaster was a best-seller, but apparently Nintendo Power called it one of the best games that got overlooked. Maybe it didn't sell well?

Which is kind of surprising given the trickle of sequels it got over the years.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I hope the new one allows saved games. The original was brutal and had to be played in one sitting. I think there was a grenade trick that made it easier, but I am kind of fuzzy on it.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options

Not gonna lie, I'm from the original NES generation and even I had no idea about it. I kept confusing it with Math Blaster at first. I did think it was strange that an edutainment math game was coming to the Switch.

I had exactly the same thought. I confess that I was a little disappointed when I found out that it wasn't Math Blaster. But it's for the best.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Is Isaac actually tomorrow?

Edit: yes as it turns out

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I hope the new one allows saved games. The original was brutal and had to be played in one sitting. I think there was a grenade trick that made it easier, but I am kind of fuzzy on it.

Yeah it has save games.. and lots of checkpoints

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Is Little Inferno better on the WiiU/does it take advantage of the 2 screens?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

I find the touch screen makes it a lot of fun.

Human Resource Machine is by the same people, I think. That game's pretty awesome, by my reckoning.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Wait is BoI not going to be available for digital download?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

As Costanza said above, there are a ton of save files and plentiful checkpoints versus the limited lives and continues of the original.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Wait is BoI not going to be available for digital download?

It is listed for today on the eShop, so I assume it'll activate in a few hours

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »

Does not use both screens separately. As Taramoor said, touch screen makes it fun.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

The trick was for certain (but not all) bosses, if you paused the game after hitting it with a grenade, the grenade would continue to do damage while the game was paused. Very entertaining! I'm super curious if that made it into this version although I really doubt it.

• Options

The trick was for certain (but not all) bosses, if you paused the game after hitting it with a grenade, the grenade would continue to do damage while the game was paused. Very entertaining! I'm super curious if that made it into this version although I really doubt it.

From what I've heard nope. Apparently the new game is much, much easier too.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

From what I've heard nope. Apparently the new game is much, much easier too.

I suppose that is for the best. I beat the original in my teens but I dont think my aging reflexes could handle that high a demand now. The music seems on point at least.

This discussion has been closed.