Options

Graphics Cards/PCI-E Versions

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
It's been a while since I last upgraded my graphics card, so I feel a bit out of the loop.
Will this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-Graphics-Dual-link-Express-Technology/dp/B009M4MAIK/ (PCI-E 3.0)

Work with this:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2AVM_HDMI/ (I think it's PCI-E 1.1 16x?) :?

Zilla360 on

Posts

  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    It will work, technically, but it won't work at it's full potential. If your Mobo is that old, your CPU is probably also really old. Your PC is only as fast as it's fastest part, so while you may be able to "run" more games or whatever, the may all still run at a low frame rate and be throttled by your cpu, which would make upgrading your video card a pointless purchase.

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    If your Mobo is that old, your CPU is probably also really old. Your PC is only as fast as it's fastest part, so while you may be able to "run" more games or whatever, the may all still run at a low frame rate and be throttled by your cpu, which would make upgrading your video card a pointless purchase.
    Yeah, I know. All I want really is a few more FPS out of Skyrim really (1440x900 res), then I'll probably use it as a part in a whole new build I'm planning a few months down the line.
    (New MB, CPU, and RAM).

  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    If your Mobo is that old, your CPU is probably also really old. Your PC is only as fast as it's fastest part, so while you may be able to "run" more games or whatever, the may all still run at a low frame rate and be throttled by your cpu, which would make upgrading your video card a pointless purchase.
    Yeah, I know. All I want really is a few more FPS out of Skyrim really (1440x900 res), then I'll probably use it as a part in a whole new build I'm planning a few months down the line.
    (New MB, CPU, and RAM).

    Radeon HD 7790 is a bit better card and cheaper.

    Or get this, better version of the card you picked
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GTX650Ti-PCI-E-Graphics/dp/B009KFT1ZG/

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    If your Mobo is that old, your CPU is probably also really old. Your PC is only as fast as it's fastest part, so while you may be able to "run" more games or whatever, the may all still run at a low frame rate and be throttled by your cpu, which would make upgrading your video card a pointless purchase.
    Yeah, I know. All I want really is a few more FPS out of Skyrim really (1440x900 res), then I'll probably use it as a part in a whole new build I'm planning a few months down the line.
    (New MB, CPU, and RAM).

    Radeon HD 7790 is a bit better card and cheaper.

    Or get this, better version of the card you picked
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GTX650Ti-PCI-E-Graphics/dp/B009KFT1ZG/

    A better card might not even give him any better framerate though, without seeing what kind of CPU he has it's impossible to give a good recommendation. Spending more money on a better card may not garner any performance gains at all. I've had a PC hit the CPU wall before and was forced to upgrade everything, where I went and upgraded my video card and saw no performance gains. If he's plugged into DDR2 RAM and a mobo as old as the one he posted with PCI-E 1.0 I would hazard to guess his CPU is 5-6 years old which makes buying even a mid-range video card a waste of money unless he plans to upgrade his mobo/cpu some time soon. In fact i'd say he's better off upgrading his mobo/cpu than he is his video card, and doing the vid card upgrade in a few months. Skyrim is very cpu/ram heavy so upgrading from that ancient ddr2 ram will boost performance as is. Even buying a simple, low cost motherboard and CPU/ram combo will garner a huge CPU performance boost from a CPU as old as that based on architecture alone.

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @Elimination It's she, BTW. This is the rough spec I'm thinking of for april/may:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£80.00 @ Ebuyer)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.26 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£51.76 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.43 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card (£122.50 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £321.95
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-02 17:22 GMT+0000)

    £330 is my absolute limit, no going above that.

  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If you're not going to OC the CPU, I'd skip the after market cooler and get 8gb of ram. With the new wave of consoles out we're going to start seeing games using more than 4gb.

  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    @Elimination It's she, BTW. This is the rough spec I'm thinking of for april/may:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£80.00 @ Ebuyer)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.26 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£51.76 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.43 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card (£122.50 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £321.95
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-02 17:22 GMT+0000)

    £330 is my absolute limit, no going above that.

    A-10 Processor is no good to pair with a GPU like the 650 (And sorry about the he/she.) it's an APU and they are only really good in laptops or in a PC that isn't using a full graphics card like you are. There are better performing CPU's in that same price range that will do you better.

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I don't think she's including the A10 for its integrated GPU.

  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I think there is a question as to whether it might be better to get an AMD graphics card so you can crossfire with the APU.

    EDIT: Though now that I say that I'm not sure you can crossfire that with a GOOD graphics card.

    tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The whole "crossfire your IGPU with a matching discrete card!" is a pile of shit for gamers anyway, because you can't hook ANY of them up to a current-gen enthusiast grade discrete card.

    The best card I'm seeing listed here is a 7670, which by current standards is definitely a low-level discrete card.

    EDIT: And to try and squeeze the best performance you can out of the IGPU, you need to buy expensive overclocked RAM...

    Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Is the Athlon X4 750K the same as the A10-5800K just without the GPU?

    Maybe this is a better choice?
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad760kwohlbox - I know it says "Athlon II" but they aren't the old athlons...

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Is the Athlon X4 750K the same as the A10-5800K just without the GPU?

    Maybe this is a better choice?
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad760kwohlbox - I know it says "Athlon II" but they aren't the old athlons...

    The issue is the CPU side of the APU's do not have as good performance compared to having an AMD cpu without the onboard graphics. The architecture is different so getting an APU with a proper video card like the 650 is actually a bad choice for that price, you're paying for an APU but you aren't using it for what it's meant for so it's a waste.

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Sign In or Register to comment.