Options

Audiophiles - recommend me a turntable?

ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
So the turntable I've had since I was in college was a casualty of my most recent move. Sad times.

I have more money to throw around than I did in college, so I figure I can afford to get a replacement that's higher quality than the cheap thing I got back in the day (may it rest in peace). I'll admit that I'm not a big enough audiophile to appreciate the smallest nuances in sound output, but I'd like the new kit to be play well with my stereo system. I don't need one of those turntables that can burn digital files from records -- I'd probably never use the feature, and most new LPs come with free MP3 downloads anyway. Something thin enough to fit snugly in my entertainment center would be nice, though not a requirement by any means.

Can anyone recommend me some nice turntables at different price ranges? I'm not yet sure how much I'm willing to spend yet and my parents have indicated that they're willing to chip in for my birthday, so it wouldn't hurt to have a few options to consider.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Disclaimer : I do not describe myself as an audiophile.

I always find the Wirecutter informative. You can straight-up follow their advice or use their reviews as a good starting point for your research. I'd at least look the "Step Down" and "The Competition" sections.

Also, I'm right with you regarding USB output. I've always had a "gimmick" feeling for that.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A lot of really great new music also gets released on vinyl, especially dance music and hip-hop.

If you're already getting a nice stereo setup with an amp and a set of decent speakers, the amp should have a phono in port, or at worst, a 3.5mm microphone in port.

Turntables range from cheap and yet still pumps out pretty good sound: http://uturnaudio.com/store/orbit-plus-turntable-blue $279
    to mid-range: http://audio-technica.com.au/turntables/at-lp1240-usb/ $800
    to holy fuck that's a lot of money: http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/index.php/tt15s1.html $2700
    to well it's either this, or a classic sportscar: http://onedof.com/ ~$100,000

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Good turntables live forever with the exception of a few parts that can be easily exchanged, so look what is around second hand. For instance I have one that is from the early eighties which I bought for cheap when vinyl was very out. Today I could likely sell it for what chrishallett83 defines as in the "holy fuck"-range, but more importantly it works as well as when it was new.

Research what you find and then budget with a little on the side for a new pick-up (the needle that touches the records as it wears out and a worn one will cause extra wear on the records). Also many turn tables may have a rubber band that needs replacing and there are on-line shops which sell those for even the most exotic unit.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'll admit that I'm not a big enough audiophile to appreciate the smallest nuances in sound output, but I'd like the new kit to be play well with my stereo system.

Most decent midgrade-and-up turntables will not include a phono pre-amp, you'll need to supply that yourself. Meaning it likely will not play with newer stereo equipment. That said, phono pre-amps don't run that much, unless you plan to play the audiophile game...there are cheap ones for $15 or less, or decent ones in the $50-$100 range. Even stuff like lower-end Cambridge Audio can be had for $100 or so.

As for recommendations, I don't have any offhand...I'm still using my step-dad's old Technics turntable, it's decent and works. But to make recommendations, I'd say we'd probably need to know your budget. If you're talking the $100-$200 range, I've heard good things about the Audio Technicas (the LP60 and LP120, I believe). If you're looking to move up towards the $300-$500 range, there are a number of "classier" midgrade pseudo-audiophile options from the likes of Rega, Pro-Ject, etc. The ATs at the low end, and most lower-end turntables, will tend to integrate a pre-amp (though expect it to be of the $15 variety, obviously). Moving up from there, make sure you budget for one.

There are other things to consider, too. Some lower-end turntables will have nice auto-start and auto-stop mechanisms, as well as some lift and scan options. My old one does, and I think those AT models do. Once you get to the more expensive stuff, expect to have to drop your needle manually; audiophiles tend to avoid those bells and whistles. Personally I like them.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    There are other things to consider, too. Some lower-end turntables will have nice auto-start and auto-stop mechanisms, as well as some lift and scan options. My old one does, and I think those AT models do. Once you get to the more expensive stuff, expect to have to drop your needle manually; audiophiles tend to avoid those bells and whistles. Personally I like them.

Auto start matters little I think, but auto-stop can be a good think although the main thing is there auto lift. I once went on an extended weekend without realizing my gf had been using my turn table and forgetting to stop it. Thus the pick up spends something like 70 hours "playing" or rather wearing into the inner grove of the record that was played - not a good thing.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Auto start matters little I think, but auto-stop can be a good think although the main thing is there auto lift. I once went on an extended weekend without realizing my gf had been using my turn table and forgetting to stop it. Thus the pick up spends something like 70 hours "playing" or rather wearing into the inner grove of the record that was played - not a good thing.

Depends who you ask...a lot of people like auto-start, rather than manually dropping the needle. Of course, I wouldn't forego a nice turntable over that, so I guess you might be right.

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Based on recommendations from this thread and reading reviews, I ended up getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Seemed like the best entry-level turntable I could get, and reading up on records made me appreciate that I need to learn more about the technology before I invest in nicer equipment. Thanks for the help so far.

Speaking of, are there any mods and other secondary equipment I should consider investing in? Sounds like I may need to invest in a phono pre-amp.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Based on recommendations from this thread and reading reviews, I ended up getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Seemed like the best entry-level turntable I could get, and reading up on records made me appreciate that I need to learn more about the technology before I invest in nicer equipment. Thanks for the help so far.

Speaking of, are there any mods and other secondary equipment I should consider investing in? Sounds like I may need to invest in a phono pre-amp.

I've looked at that turntable a couple times, looks pretty damn nice. If I ever decide to pony up the cash for a real, modern turntable it's on the list for me.

And yeah, if your stereo amplifier doesn't have one integrated, you will definitely need a phono pre-amp. I have a ridiculously cheap one, but it works. Not sure how that will work with a MM cartridge (which you've got) versus a MC cartridge (like mine). There's also Pro-Ject's MM Phono Box, or this one from Cambridge Audio. Plenty of others out there as well, up and down the price range.

EDIT: So I may have been mixing up MM/MC as to which is more common. Maybe mine is MM. Been a while. Thanks for the clarification, BZD.

mcdermott on
  • Options

Congratulations on making the move. I'd be surprised if you regret doing so.

Apart from needing either an amplifier that has a phono input or a seperate phono amplifier (also know as a "Step-up") you'll need some gear for removing dust from the records and also from the very delicate needle. Info on such items and also tips on to store and handle the records can be found all over - I did a quick search and this seems like a good place to get the big picture discomusic.com/101-more/6193_0_7_0_C/

Back to the amplifier bit. There is one extra detail I can think of. As you know there is two types of phono amplifiers and the most used is the MM and the MC the often more expensive and more rare. Some amplifiers can do both and have a switch that selects one or the other and said switch is sometimes hidden on the back of the unit. In most cases if an amplifier doesn't specify if it is MM or MC, but simply says "Phono" or something like that, then it means it is a MM type.