As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car wiring question.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

So the last time i got an oil change, the mechanic pointed out one of my break lights had an out bulb. There were 2 bulbs in the light so it wasnt an immediate traffic problem, but i had him replace it anyway. After the replacement, that bulb was still out so it sounds like a wiring issue with the break light.

Now i gotta bring my car to get an E-Check this year. I'm not sure if the e-check will fail you for this as long as one of the bulbs was working, so the answer to that question would be helpful. Also, Im interested in finding out what this could cost to fix.

Thanks for the info.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    What model car?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brake, not break.

If there is a wiring issue with your lights, it's almost always a bad earth. Which is about 5 minutes to fix. Should be cheap.

• Options
    2002 camrey.

Sorry, brain kinda fried from work this month. Brake. Brake....brake.brake........

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So the brake light globe has been replaced with new, and the light still does not work when it should? Almost always a bad earth, usually due to water ingress.

• Options
    Does that mean i have to replace the taillight assembly?

• Options
    Is the globe socket corroded or broken? You may have to trace the earth lead back and re-terminate it where it screws to the body.

• Options
    I have to take a look at it. It's been about 5 degrees here, I'm not feeling very eager to touch it right now even in a garage.

• Options
    So, oddly i was checking into the problem this weekend and i see no light out now. If this was a grounding problem would it be intermittant?

• Options
    Yes! Dodgy grounds are often intermittent, which is why they're so annoying.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    So, when i go for my echeck should I try and pick a weekend that has been pretty dry to reduce the chance its going to go out on me for the test? Is it moisture related?

azith28 on
  • Options
    It's generally more that the eye crimped onto the end of the earth wire that is used to affix the earth lead to the stud welded to the chassis of the car with a nut has corroded, and this has caused not just very high electrical resistance across the connection, but also for the wire to be loose in the crimp, and the eye to be lose on the stud. It's a simple fix, you snip off the end of the earth lead, crimp on a new eye, and bolt it up properly to the stud, then give the connection a quick spray with battery terminal protector to prevent it corroding again.