Options

[Superhero Movies] Ooga chaka

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i am pretty in love with this MTMTE cover
    covers and solicits for the IDW Transformers books for May
    V30873Q.jpg
    STAND-OFF! While the crew of the Lost Light react to MEGATRON's arrival with characteristic maturity (calling him names behind his back and ignoring him when he speaks) one AUTOBOT is convinced that a more direct approach is needed. Guess what happens when a one-time tyrant is told he's not wanted? Yeah, exactly.
    hQNL0rz.jpg
    DETONATION BOULEVARD! Who is MARISSA FAIREBORN-and why does she want OPTIMUS PRIME dead?! And more importantly... how did she start working with on of the AUTOBOTS deadliest enemies...? Dangerous allegiences form, thanks to the terrifying shape the CYBERTRONIANS have twisted planet Earth into!
    Sarah Stone cover: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/0/1/2/3/STK637387_1392789949.jpg
    Milne variant: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/0/1/2/3/STK637389_1392789949.jpg
    CYBERTRON UNDER FIRE! Someone is out to kill WINDBLADE-but discovering who means turning to some less-than-savory 'Bots. Can WINDBLADE trust her informants enough to stake her life on them? And who will she turn to when the events of DARK CYBERTRON come back to haunt them all?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that looks pretty cool, though not a huge fan of the legs sticking up through the fuselage but what can you do

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Also I've got no problem with Marvel targeting the tumblr fangirl demographic because it's the tumblr fangirl demographic that turned a comic book starring a Muslim teenage girl into a runaway success, so clearly they've got good taste

• Options
    A lady Transformer with a sword, a sweet paint job, and the ability to transform into a jet?

...damn it, Hasbro, I'm out of space to display toys as it is!

there are at least three female transformers coming out in the generations line
    people were hoping for Nautica but it looks like there aren't any plans for this year
    Windblade, Arcee, and Chromia
    i am scooping up all three on principle

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I kinda wish they had found a better place for Windblade's legs, they stand out like a sore thumb in the alt mode.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yo, @Blankzilla thanks for the New Warriors code.

I just read the issue, and it's pretty neat!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Chincy

This is what I get for not knowing anything about guardians

I thought Gamora was from a klingonish war race

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    what's wrong with slash fiction

Depends on context, but mostly what's wrong with it is it usually forces sexuality on a character that is not that characters preference

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Chincy

Hilariously, she comes from a race that is known for being the exact opposite of warlike.

It's just that Thanos trained her from a young age to be a killing machine.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So Anti

Do you think that the
    Megatron change

Will stick for an appreciable amount of time?

Cause it does sound interesting

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    please god not this conversation again

If you want, I can dig up a link back to the start of the last slash fiction argument and anyone that really wants to rehash it can get their fix that way?

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Chincy

Hilariously, she comes from a race that is known for being the exact opposite of warlike.

It's just that Thanos trained her from a young age to be a killing machine.

Oh

That's way more interesting

I have had enough of savage war races

Except for Warbird, I like that lady

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Not seen the Guardians trailer until now

as someone who has read all of the guardians (including the 70's ones) and all the stuff related to them and is pretty demanding in terms of what I want from the movie I can safely say that YES YES YES YES SO MUCH YES

• Options
    So Anti

Do you think that the
    Megatron change

yes
    because this way megatron's a key part of the story while also keeping the status quo of "the war is over"

because let's face it

the great war is boring, especially because Mike Costa decided to establish it lasted millions of years

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    So Anti

Do you think that the
    Megatron change

yes
    because this way megatron's a key part of the story while also keeping the status quo of "the war is over"

because let's face it

the great war is boring, especially because Mike Costa decided to establish it lasted millions of years

Dangit

I have so much marvel unlimited to read

• Options
    Seriously as someone who is a huge fan of the existing material I think that Marvel have continued to do a great job of making a movie that is ostensibly for people that have no idea what is going on before they walk into the theatre, while also turning to me and saying "and so lets give them exactly what we loved so much about them when we first read the comics!"

The tone is exactly right. The little touches in costume and setting design and so on that really acknowledge in a loving manner the rich source material. I will be able to go and see this movie and know that it is as much made for me as it is a completely new viewer. And that's awesome. That's what it should always be.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    How many of you nerds bought Hooked on a Feeling off itunes today?

Because I just did.

I...uh...I found my dad's cassette.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what's wrong with slash fiction

Depends on context, but mostly what's wrong with it is it usually forces sexuality on a character that is not that characters preference

maybe there shouldn't be so many straight characters then

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    please no

we just did this last thread

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I'm cool if we just collectively take an "agree to disagree" stance on slash fiction.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    006h36yy
    006h4dz8
    006h5g1k
    006h62sk

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, Thanos is just a weird bundle of contradictions, ain't he.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Thats why he is interesting

Unlike darkseid, who can generally be summed up with "Wants to destory the galaxy because he is evil"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Unlike darkseid, who can generally be summed up with "Wants to destory the galaxy because he is evil"

While I largely prefer Thanos to Darkseid, having a totally monolithic and terrifying force of pure evil is also sometimes valuable for telling great stories as well.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    How many of you nerds bought Hooked on a Feeling off itunes today?

Because I just did.

I...uh...I found my dad's cassette.

Can I borrow a feelin'?
    Could you lend me a jar of love?
    Hurtin' hearts need some healin',
    Take my hand with your glove of love.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    I love the line "and there is nothing weak about mighty Thanos"

In a medium where you cannot get across tone through the way something is said, the injection of nuance and multiple meanings into a line is tricky

but then you read that line and given the context of the story, the context of what we have seen, it has huge amounts of nuance. That one line can generate genuine discussion about the character of the man it pertains to. Is it a line of pity? Scorn? Genuine truth?

Quality writing

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Yeah but marvel has plenty of those figures

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Hullis wrote: »

Villains with pathos and heroes with flaws are Marvel's hallmark, yes

Solar on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Darkseid doesn't want to destroy the galaxy. He wants to create a perfect orderly universe free of entropy and chaos.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Maybe I need to read the entirety of Thanos material but I see such a disconnect between those panels and basically every other time I've seen him that it doesn't make him feel like a complicated and nuanced character, it makes him feel like a kinda bullshit character that nobody can decide how they want to write

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Maybe I need to read the entirety of Thanos material but I see such a disconnect between those panels and basically every other time I've seen him that it doesn't make him feel like a complicated and nuanced character, it makes him feel like a kinda bullshit character that nobody can decide how they want to write

you need to read the entirety of Thanos material
    Starlin wrote a great Thanos

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Thanos when he is on his own or with his "family" is a very different beast than Thanos fighting the Guardians or Avengers. Dude's got layers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Darkseid wants to create a perfectly ordered society by stamping out any kind of free will and sentient thought to the point where it is fair to say that for everyone who lives in the Universe, the end result of Darkseid's plan is functionally identical to destruction of everything that isn't him. After all, in both cases, other than Darkseid nobody will be alive.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I meant big, unknowable, evil cosmic villains

Thanos is a good reprieve

• Options
    And that's just Darkseid sometimes

Other times he wants people to be sentient and have free will so he can repeatedly crush it into the dirt and feed off their suffering, fear and hatred.

Depends who is writing him

point is

he's evil as fuck

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It's funny because most of Thanos's shit was written by Jim Starlin, with a lot of the non-Starlin stuff prior to 2003 being retconned as advanced clones.

So it's like one guy making most these contradictions.

• Options

Marvel as a whole sees Thanos as being more valuable as a villain than as the anti-hero Starlin turned him into, and they may have a point there.

Basically I see Thanos as moody. Sometimes he really really hates life. And he's willing to take everyone else with him.

I hope that the movie universe makes him complicated as well as scary, but I don't know if they have the time for that with the number of other characters in these flicks.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

I meant big, unknowable, evil cosmic villains

Thanos is a good reprieve

Thing is they don't, not really

The closest Marvel has to a Darkseid style irredeemably evil villain is the Red Skull

even Galactus is often portrayed sympathetically

And Darkseid isn't really unknowable at all, he's actually not that big and cosmic. It's all false grandeur. Jack Kirby believed that evil wasn't big and cosmic and awesome, he thought it was petty and pathetic.

Darkseid's majesty is a false cover for the fact that he is an empty shell of a being, a characterless entity driven solely to rule with no redeeming features. Kirby's Darkseid is entirely knowable. For all his great speeches, he's just the embodiment of all the petty evils that are done every day. We all know him and once you get past the illusion, we all can see Darkseid for the pathetic inanity of his beliefs and aims.

• Options
    Like I do not mind Darkseid as a villain

But really

the best place for him in a story is getting his head kicked in by Orion

This discussion has been closed.