Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    This is the only comparison pic I know about. Heard about it third-hand, so those aren't the comments of anyone I know.

I'm not even sure I'd call it censorship to begin with. I'm not sure what to call it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Honestly the before is just going overboard on titillation anyways.

Edit: The word you're looking for is "localization".

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    great I can't wait for the dumbass legion to show up to whine about censhorship while posting on internet venues that censor things all the time

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I suppose that's right.

Maybe I'm just parroting the opinions of the first people who brought the change to my attention, or overreacting, but I still feel it was a poor decision that the replacement design is based on a profession that killed a lot people the first design was (loosely) based on. I mean, there are other costumes that could be used for a gunslinger type.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Well, yes... but cowboy does have thematic similarities to natives due to common mythos. Switching it out to pirate or something wouldn't be the same.

• Options
    cowboys were only around for about 20 years and worked in areas natives had already been forced off of. the era of cattle drives didn't last long. the US army was the main culprit in this instance.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That first design is

pretty fucking racist

Changing it was the right call

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    cowboys were only around for about 20 years and worked in areas natives had already been forced off of. the era of cattle drives didn't last long. the US army was the main culprit in this instance.

Ah. Well, that's good to know

I really need to bone up on my history. Makin' a fool out of myself.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That first design is

pretty fucking racist

And the second design? Her hat is rad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ignoring everything else that second design is far more cool than the first. You get a Cowboy hat and don't have some weird as fuck crossbow/axe monstrosity.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I feel that cowboys are an underrepresented "class"/job in videogames anyway. Also, this game has a class that's just a baker? That's fucking awesome.

• Options
    LanDLanD Registered User regular
    Ignoring everything else that second design is far more cool than the first. You get a Cowboy hat and don't have some weird as fuck crossbow/axe monstrosity.

Just to explain the class as it originally appeared, it was apparently a visual pun. The garb gives us 'Tomahawk' and the crossbow/sniping gives us 'Missiles'. To put it together for Tomahawk Missile. Apparently even the skills are based off of Missile Warfare.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/23/rumor-bravely-second-switches-tomahawk-cowboy-job-class-west/

bravelysecondcowboyclass.jpg

So yeah there's a bit of screenshot of both. No comment by SE on the situation, naturally. They both look pretty great as far as aesthetic goes, but the hilarious irony of supplanting a Native American inspired theme with a Cowboy may in fact offend more people than just leaving the Tomahawk in.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I hope I can have both.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the thing. If it were cowboy from the start, not an eye would be batted. It's the irony that makes some uncomfortable.

At least the replacement isn't a period US army outfit.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    2 million PG in Chapter 1 from auto Big Pharma on the golem in the Wind Temple. Why yes good sir I believe I shall purchase two of your finest Night Emperors, Magic Knives, Falcon Knives, and an Angel Bow. Bag it all up, I'll be back once Norende finishes the last couple of shops.

It's not a foolproof method since Tiz occasionally decides he wants to defy all odds and crit hard many times in a row to beat out Agnes and Edea's Big Pharma healing, but it works well enough so long as I check it occasionally.

• Options
    as said any irony isn't really based on historical fact

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That first design is

pretty fucking racist

Honest question: Why?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    European Boxart

vr638kwzudsa.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, apparently the EU version of Bravely Second has change the Tomahawk class's outfit from one based on native Americans to one based on cowboy gunslingers.

So that's a thing.

That's a dark joke.

• Options
    Still trying to figure out whats up with the subtitle.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's an anagram.

Le Reynad. Become legendary.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    if they do the one letter game again, only think I can think of is "send slayer" or "fend flayer" or "send layers" or "ends slayer". or they could be doing a totally different hidden message type this time or there's nothing and its a big fake out with us expecting a hidden message again.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

Second Player maybe?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maybe it'll invert the last game's "remove the letters" bit with some added letters.

I'd suggest a possible title, but I'm afraid of being accidentally right and having a spoilered response clue me into my being right.

• Options
    hmm do I want the CE of bravely second as well

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Real Player" Oh, nooo, it was the nineties all along!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah the layer seems to want to have a P in front of it but there's lots of possible variations. the first game was soo good but also had room for improvement that i can barely wait for this one.

• Options
    I'm probably gonna get the special edition too, but it's probably gonna be really fucking expensive.

Hopefully I can at least flip the figure for a decent price on eBay.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Send Player

According to other threads I've read up on, the Tomahawk class is a pun on the missile. So a person in native clothes firing missile weapons, Tomahawk Missile

it makes me wish somebody in the localization team thought 'you know it might be iffy to present this costume to a country where that culture was native, lets just change it to some other costume that would use guns from there' and completely did not see the potential problems with it

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    is it worse than a samurai outfit, or ninja outfit? or a knight in armor? context matters right?

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Send Player

According to other threads I've read up on, the Tomahawk class is a pun on the missile. So a person in native clothes firing missile weapons, Tomahawk Missile

it makes me wish somebody in the localization team thought 'you know it might be iffy to present this costume to a country where that culture was native, lets just change it to some other costume that would use guns from there' and completely did not see the potential problems with it

Because a localization team is normally arranged after the game is already complete, and games are generally designed for domestic consumption first and leave worrying about the delicate sensibilities of foreigners to the localization team that has to deal with it.

Why give a shit when making something you and the players you primarily relate to think is cool?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    is it worse than a samurai outfit, or ninja outfit? or a knight in armor? context matters right?

Sure, but those other groups were of the ruling classes and outmoded by technology rather than genocide.

Well, I suppose the Native American's were sorta outmoded by technology though I tend to blame the white geese holding the technology.

• Options

Sure, but those other groups were of the ruling classes and outmoded by technology rather than genocide.

Well, I suppose the Native American's were sorta outmoded by technology though I tend to blame the white geese holding the technology.

i'm not arguing that it might be distasteful, but i could probably find other examples that might be worse. in fact, maybe people could argue that natives haven't had a good representation that they need? it shouldn't be teh name that is the problem, it should be what they are doing with the character.

• Options
    edited December 2015

i'm not arguing that it might be distasteful, but i could probably find other examples that might be worse. in fact, maybe people could argue that natives haven't had a good representation that they need? it shouldn't be teh name that is the problem, it should be what they are doing with the character.

True enough. Clearly I jumped to conclusions about the doe skin bikini and it's role in Native American culture.
    That is I don't expect a Japanese game to really have the best portrayal in it. I'd expect about the level of your 1960's Western basically.

Edit: With more fan service naturally.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Dressing up someone in stereotypical Native American garb, which tends to be the outfit that has religious significance to them, is already problematic and wouldn't be good representation.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Dressing up someone in stereotypical Native American garb, which tends to be the outfit that has religious significance to them, is already problematic and wouldn't be good representation.

Yeah, though the specific replacement outfit is gonna raise some eyebrows.

At least it's not a USA army outfit, I guess.

• Options
    Eurobros! We're getting a Bravely Second demo on February 11th (a nice birthday present for me).

Just like with Bravely Default, transferring save data from the demo unlocks bonuses in the full game.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Just got a new 3DS, within the first week I noticed I got a Bravely Default streetpass

I boot up BD to remember I already built up the village entirely with one person

VRXwDW7.png