As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    crafting costs a brave point. it's not actually doubling damage when you consider that

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    In chapter 2, about the Ranger/BM choice:
    I think you have to be some kind of monster to choose Omnias' position. Sorry kids (and really us too) so that there's a chance for Bahamut to learn the secret spell! It would really make for a short game, if Yew and Co. died so that Bahamut could live. Though I did feel bad for Bahamut.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    crafting costs a brave point. it's not actually doubling damage when you consider that

More cost-effective, though, if the base spell costs more than 10 MP.

The real efficient one is Rain.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

No. It's basically casting the spell a second time for less MP.

Though in some cases it does multiply damage too. Like hammer can multihit and crit. Mist is functionally triple damage, so 50% net power boost.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Though in some cases it does multiply damage too. Like hammer can multihit and crit. Mist is functionally triple damage, so 50% net power boost.

The 2x damage on Hammer, before crits, is basically equivalent to casting the spell twice, for the same number of actions.

Of course, adding in crit chance is important.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

The 2x damage on Hammer, before crits, is basically equivalent to casting the spell twice, for the same number of actions.

Of course, adding in crit chance is important.

Doesn't hammer also give you a number of hits

Plus combined with good measure it turns a 4 brave move into a 3 brave move

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Yeah, Good Measure is nuts.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Of course, Hammer has significant drawbacks if you're up against anything with crazy PDef.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I have a question. If you have a costume and send an attack, does other players see that outfit or just the base one for the job?

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    If it's like Default and the demo then they will see the costume unless it's one that was cut completely from their version of the game.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Of course, Hammer has significant drawbacks if you're up against anything with crazy PDef.

I made the mistake of using it against the swordmaster...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I made the mistake of using it against the swordmaster...

Nothing gained?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Speaking of Magnolia's French
    The language of the moon is English in the Japanese release. Go figure.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

"Good Gravy!"
    Magnolia's contributions to Profiteur's bestiary entry are hilarious. Ragging on about his strange accent.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

"Good Gravy!"
    Magnolia's contributions to Profiteur's bestiary entry are hilarious. Ragging on about his strange accent.

Now I wonder if Profiteur is a Trump-like caricature in Japan.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well I beat it.

Definitely enjoyed the first game more.

• Options
    I'm mixed. I feel like there are some things it did better than the first game, and some things it did not as well as the first. I feel like second is a more consistently good title, though, as the stuff that Default did do poorly bogged it down considerably in the middle half.

• Options
    I would much prefer Defaults repetitive last half, that is mostly optional if you don't want to do all of the sidequest fights to the hot mess that is Seconds narrative.

The choose this job or that sidequests were mostly terribly written, and I ended up skipping the post quest dialogue entirely just so I could move on and keep from rolling my eyes constantly.

You end up getting too many jobs all at once at the end of the game which turns into a giant horrible grind fest.

They give you the bonus battle mechanic, but still cap jp at 999 which means when you really figure out a good way to use that mechanic, you're stopping your battles early because you hit the jp cap so what's the point in doing more?

It takes about 850,000 jp to master all jobs so a cap at 999 it just a dick move.

Story wise.
    The further you get into the game the more of a mess this gets. You have Denys and his Glanz Empire plot, the Altair and Vega plot, the Yoko and the plague plot, the interdimensional police Ringabel plot, and the Anne and Providence plot. Just. goddamn.

Denys goes from "FAIL ME AND YOU DIE" at the beginning of the game to "oh my comrades, please don't lay down your life for my cause" as soon as you find out he's Denys.

The Yoko and the plague backstory was interesting, but then its muddled by double Alternis and interdimensional policeman Ringabel shenanigans. You want to have Ringabel in the game, that's fine. But this whole traveling dimensions hunting Yokai thing just seems kind of poorly handled.

Anne and Providence was poorly handled because for anyone who has played the first game its obvious that Anne is super fucking evil and tricking Denys, and you just spend the whole game waiting for it to happen, then at the very very end Providence is just there out of the blue, and for some reason also tangled up with Altair and Vega and it's just a mess.

Endgame sidequest wise. WTF. I hope every one playing is following a guide because the post game dungeons are hilariously well hidden in the fact that there's no mention of them at all, and they are in places that you just flat out couldn't enter before.

Its also sorely missing the fun of the challenge battles against teams of Asterisk Holders.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I would much prefer Defaults repetitive last half, that is mostly optional if you don't want to do all of the sidequest fights to the hot mess that is Seconds narrative.

The choose this job or that sidequests were mostly terribly written, and I ended up skipping the post quest dialogue entirely just so I could move on and keep from rolling my eyes constantly.

You end up getting too many jobs all at once at the end of the game which turns into a giant horrible grind fest.

They give you the bonus battle mechanic, but still cap jp at 999 which means when you really figure out a good way to use that mechanic, you're stopping your battles early because you hit the jp cap so what's the point in doing more?

It takes about 850,000 jp to master all jobs so a cap at 999 it just a dick move.

Story wise.
    The further you get into the game the more of a mess this gets. You have Denys and his Glanz Empire plot, the Altair and Vega plot, the Yoko and the plague plot, the interdimensional police Ringabel plot, and the Anne and Providence plot. Just. goddamn.

Denys goes from "FAIL ME AND YOU DIE" at the beginning of the game to "oh my comrades, please don't lay down your life for my cause" as soon as you find out he's Denys.

The Yoko and the plague backstory was interesting, but then its muddled by double Alternis and interdimensional policeman Ringabel shenanigans. You want to have Ringabel in the game, that's fine. But this whole traveling dimensions hunting Yokai thing just seems kind of poorly handled.

Anne and Providence was poorly handled because for anyone who has played the first game its obvious that Anne is super fucking evil and tricking Denys, and you just spend the whole game waiting for it to happen, then at the very very end Providence is just there out of the blue, and for some reason also tangled up with Altair and Vega and it's just a mess.

Endgame sidequest wise. WTF. I hope every one playing is following a guide because the post game dungeons are hilariously well hidden in the fact that there's no mention of them at all, and they are in places that you just flat out couldn't enter before.

Its also sorely missing the fun of the challenge battles against teams of Asterisk Holders.

Gonna just have to disagree on the side quest writing , I guess.

For the main story
    Denys kind of doesn't change enormously with regards to his allies. When Bella failed him, Anne was the one who was all "DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!" and Denys was the one who offered her a second crack after Cuchullain interrupted. As for what made him make the jump from "Anne's right; sacrifices are necessary to meet our goal" to "wait no don't die needlessly"? Probably the chapter 5 event that gave everyone partial memories of the last loop. He knew that everyone died last time, and they failed, so that probably made him rethink things.

Yoko's bit was, at least, tied into the Glanz Empire bit, since most of the people in that group have some connection or grudge related to the plague or the Geneolgias. So at least the story she brings up is part of the main plot. Ringabel's inclusion was kind of left field, true. I guess it's meant as a sequel hook.

And honestly, I think I'd prefer the next game focus on inter dimensional policeman Ringabel hunting demons than another fairy/god plot. I mean, yeah, Anne makes a good villain, and the callback to her line at the start of Default was a cool moment. But everything about Anne and Providence was already done, and better, by Airy and Ouroboros. Heck, Ouroboros is, even in-story, a bigger threat, accomplishing Providence's end goal several times over during his boss fight. I guess we needed a god to properly tie in Anne, but it could've been handled better. Like, what if the Ba'als were forming from Vega's memories of their own accord, and Anne was serving Diamanté? That'd have been cool. It's still a good ending, in my opinion , but Default's was better. Which is why I'd like a change in story direction for the next one. Airy's betrayal is a plot point you can only pull off once, and now that Anne's gone, we don't have any more pre-existing fairies to wrap up.

I still prefer the bulk of the story, middling as it is at times, to Default's repetition and major plot hole, though.

Yeah, I miss the gauntlet as well. The chapter 5 fights are nice, but not quite up to the standard of the previous one.

• Options

Story wise.

For the main story
    Denys kind of doesn't change enormously with regards to his allies. When Bella failed him, Anne was the one who was all "DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!" and Denys was the one who offered her a second crack after Cuchullain interrupted. As for what made him make the jump from "Anne's right; sacrifices are necessary to meet our goal" to "wait no don't die needlessly"? Probably the chapter 5 event that gave everyone partial memories of the last loop. He knew that everyone died last time, and they failed, so that probably made him rethink things.

Yoko's bit was, at least, tied into the Glanz Empire bit, since most of the people in that group have some connection or grudge related to the plague or the Geneolgias. So at least the story she brings up is part of the main plot. Ringabel's inclusion was kind of left field, true. I guess it's meant as a sequel hook.

And honestly, I think I'd prefer the next game focus on inter dimensional policeman Ringabel hunting demons than another fairy/god plot. I mean, yeah, Anne makes a good villain, and the callback to her line at the start of Default was a cool moment. But everything about Anne and Providence was already done, and better, by Airy and Ouroboros. Heck, Ouroboros is, even in-story, a bigger threat, accomplishing Providence's end goal several times over during his boss fight. I guess we needed a god to properly tie in Anne, but it could've been handled better. Like, what if the Ba'als were forming from Vega's memories of their own accord, and Anne was serving Diamanté? That'd have been cool. It's still a good ending, in my opinion , but Default's was better. Which is why I'd like a change in story direction for the next one. Airy's betrayal is a plot point you can only pull off once, and now that Anne's gone, we don't have any more pre-existing fairies to wrap up.

I still prefer the bulk of the story, middling as it is at times, to Default's repetition and major plot hole, though.

Yeah, I miss the gauntlet as well. The chapter 5 fights are nice, but not quite up to the standard of the previous one.

One of the best/creepiest parts about Default was...
    The fact that you find out about Airy long before you actually confront her depending on what you're doing so you have to keep interacting with her and playing along while digesting that her whole persona is a farce

• Options

Story wise.

For the main story

The fact that you find out about Airy long before you actually confront her depending on what you're doing so you have to keep interacting with her and playing along while digesting that her whole persona is a farce

Indeed.
    "wait. Shit. that's why her dialogue has shifted entirely to 'go activate the damn crystals already!' instead of anything useful."

It's just a shame that it fumbles it at the end of chapter 8 by having the characters act as if they're just now realizing it. It would've been cool if they spent chapters 7 and 8 eaten by guilt and worrying about what they'll do when her master appears.

• Options

Story wise.

For the main story

Indeed.
    "wait. Shit. that's why her dialogue has shifted entirely to 'go activate the damn crystals already!' instead of anything useful."

It's just a shame that it fumbles it at the end of chapter 8 by having the characters act as if they're just now realizing it. It would've been cool if they spent chapters 7 and 8 eaten by guilt and worrying about what they'll do when her master appears.

Well don't forget that in this series
    We ourselves are actual characters in the game. I don't remember how the plot twist unfolds specifically, but it could very well be that information is presented that we the player character realize the nature of what's going on moreso than the actual characters in the game do.

• Options

Story wise.

For the main story

Indeed.

Well don't forget that in this series
    We ourselves are actual characters in the game. I don't remember how the plot twist unfolds specifically, but it could very well be that information is presented that we the player character realize the nature of what's going on moreso than the actual characters in the game do.

Still kind of disagrees with the cutscene in the chapter 6-7 transition, sadly.

• Options
    Bravely Second is a lot funnier than Bravely Default, which was already pretty funny. I blame the excellent localization

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Chapter 5
    I thought fight with a drunk Holly was awesome, but I do feel like a dick this time getting Asterisks.

• Options
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Chapter 5
    I thought fight with a drunk Holly was awesome, but I do feel like a dick this time getting Asterisks.
    some of them aren't so bad as they would've been the first time through.

Like, the Black Mage/Ranger one basically lets you choose without consequence, as Edea is cheating by bringing double food and organizing a search party in advance.

• Options
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Chapter 5

No kidding.
    I made decisions I wanted to make the first time, and now to farm asterisks I'm basically being forced to make the ones I didn't want to.

That said, some of them were really close and could have gone either way either time. I actually feel better about my second choice re: White Mage/Merchant because of how my choice wound up the first time.

• Options
    Meanwhile,
    i don't have Thief or Swordmaster. I don't think I ever will. Especially not Thief. I'll fight DeRosa again before I get Thief.

• Options

No kidding.
    I made decisions I wanted to make the first time, and now to farm asterisks I'm basically being forced to make the ones I didn't want to.

That said, some of them were really close and could have gone either way either time. I actually feel better about my second choice re: White Mage/Merchant because of how my choice wound up the first time.
    That's how I started, trying to be a hero. Now I lived long enough to see myself become the villain.
    Meanwhile,
    i don't have Thief or Swordmaster. I don't think I ever will. Especially not Thief. I'll fight DeRosa again before I get Thief.
    I got the Ranger, White Mage, and Thief this morning. The thief one just guilted the hell out of me, I'm not looking forward to Dark Knight/Time Mage

• Options
    That one ended better than I would have expected.

• Options

That and the Thief/Red Mage one are the ones I most wish I could re-institute my first choice. The rest were either coin flips (Summoner/Swordsman) or so moronic I didn't really care (Pirate/Performer).

On this subject, Ch6 question:
    Does anyone not get both relics?

• Options

That and the Thief/Red Mage one are the ones I most wish I could re-institute my first choice. The rest were either coin flips (Summoner/Swordsman) or so moronic I didn't really care (Pirate/Performer).

i got the shield first, then spoke with Goodman and Alfred. After talking to Alfred, I realized what the right answer was, and went to get the sword as well, but use neither.

• Options

i got the shield first, then spoke with Goodman and Alfred. After talking to Alfred, I realized what the right answer was, and went to get the sword as well, but use neither.
    I skipped talking to Alfred. I don't even remember anyone suggesting him. Was that something Agnes contributed? Because I basically ignore her.

• Options

I skipped talking to Alfred. I don't even remember anyone suggesting him. Was that something Agnes contributed? Because I basically ignore her.
    they say that Goodman is the obvious choice to talk about shields and defending. But they also want to find someone else. The most they can think of is to find someone who protects something less literal, like tradition. Alfred's all about those Geneolgia traditions.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    my overall opinion is one step forward two steps back. story is better, gameplay is so much worse in multiple areas.
    lack of challenge modes, poor job distribution rates, complete slog in chapter 5 worse than anything in the first game

I did really like the main story but one thing that was lacking were the backstories, since we already got them in BD so they couldn't just rehash them from chapter 7.

Jars on
  • Options
    what slog in chapter 5? I honestly don't recall anything in it being quite as hard to swallow as the repetition in Default's chapters 5-8. The only required thing that was kind of a chore was repeating the Harena Sea Caves. I suppose I might think differently if I had decided to get all the asterisks. Then again, that would amount to less than half the fights in chapters 5 or 6 of Default.

• Options
    doing all the jobs quests over again is tedious, and it's necessary unlike the previous game. you didn't have to do a damn thing in BD if you didn't want to.

• Options
    doing all the jobs quests over again is tedious, and it's necessary unlike the previous game. you didn't have to do a damn thing in BD if you didn't want to.
    its still fewer repeat fights than you'd do in one chapter of Default. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the combination of both runs through the job quests is fewer fights than one chapter of Default, due to several jobs not returning. And while I didn't do them all, even if we do take them as mandatory (since you do need to repeat the quests to acquire all jobs), I'm pretty sure it's even fewer mandatory repeat fights than Default had, since you need to fight Orthros, Rusalka, Chaugmar, and Gigas Lich 4 extra times each, plus one repeat fight with Alternis, to get from chapter 5 to the end of 8. At least the revisited job quests in Second generally have some differences in dialogue, due to Edea skipping ahead. If I ever hear the phrase "another creature back from destruction!" again, it'll be too soon.

I guess that's why I did the quests again in Default. So I could see some new stuff before going back to the Crystal bosses.

• Options
    the required ones in BD were at least spliced up. in BS it's do these all NOW or lose the jobs forever. in BD you had the conjurer quest, some storyline in 6, and then all the new fights in 7 and 8. and more importantly I did the sidequests in BD because I wanted to, I never once was compelled to do them past chapter 5.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I forgot to put Edea at the front of the party because she is clearly the one in charge, a warrior tomboy princess who don't need no man.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767