As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Just says
    "WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR

Students (US and international) 18+ who are passionate about illustration, digital media, animation, and comics."
    Doesn't even say it needs to be art school students actually, but I'm assuming that's a given?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Kallisti wrote: »
    Old but good, watching the step by step process of Kaoru Mori drawing Oyotomegatari:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfENoePp36o&list=PLFC82A043D7D0B2F7
    It's a fantastic manga too, I actually just started it not too long ago on a friend's recommendation, been reading it before bed and I'm constantly blown away by the panel pacing, the detail, the character development, it's very humbling. Her speed in this video too, my god.

I use those white gloves for my cintiq in the exact same way with the fingers cut off.

Dang, that's mighty impressive!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    GUYS I can't link it here due to the forum ban of Kickstarters, BUT

Schoolism has an i]almost-fully-funded, with 55 days left[/i Kickstarter to try to see if there is enough interest in a subscription-based monthly system ($20USD or less) for their self-taught classes!!

The rewards give you an even lower rate for a limited time, depending on your reward level.

It's super relevant to you guys (and suddenly super affordable) so I thought I'd mention it here - look it up! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't realise they were pricing it that low

that does make things more tempting.

I'm trying to decide if I pay a monthly subscription fee for engineering CAD software. It's something that's really handy for me to have at home, but the only software variety they have available at the moment is absolute turds.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    That schoolism things is pretty nifty.

And thanks folks for the congrats!

• Options
    Ok, so I've started poking around with 3d in photoshop. I'm thinking I might be able to make better maps using it to represent very large structures or maps where structures aren't entered (such as a cliff-climbing map, etc.) Anyone have experience with it? Are there huge cons here?

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Niiice, just finished a 30 page comic script.
    This was me last night:
    wumpsl0hemov.gif

• Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    having used schoolism before, one thing that always proved an obstacle was the pricing. I just don't have the cash to throw around for that. I'd love for them to come up with some kind of subscription based model.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to collaboratively draw with someone through a Browser or something?

• Options
    I think there's a few things around. Fug and Iruka might know more. Does OpenCanvas still exist?

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    I don't know what current versions of OC offer, but you can still get 1.1 through this site.

NOTE: I have no idea how trustworthy this site is so, download at your own peril and all that.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dont know that open canvas still works. Im actually not sure that I know of a modern equivalent. We use hangouts with screen shard to draw together, but I haven't seen new collab software in a while.

• Options
    I had this vague feeling that I'd seen someone around here using a collab thing, but maybe it was just the aftermath of a hangout.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    so some punk ass little shits from New York were prank calling
    my dad answers, tells them they have the wrong number, but they keep calling
    he tells them, in an increasingly aggravated tone, to stop, but they persist
    my dad has a Nepalese accent
    when I pick up the phone, say hello, the little shit asks who are you, and I bark out "Me? Who the hell are you?" and he stutters "O-oh, we thought you were...uh I'll stop, I'll stop."
    "You're goddamned right you're gonna stop." because the guy with the vaguely southern but very American accent told you to

My father and I do not get along much
    but I'll be fucked to Mars before I let some shit stain disrespect him because he's an immigrant
    punks

Tam on
  • Options
    Sorry you even had to deal with that tam. People are shitty and racism sucks.

• Options
    Mothers don't let your babies grow up to exist.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    in news not about shitty kids

these arrived yesterday
    I won't be able to start the lessons until I'm on vacation in a week, but I am, as a certain long time AC denizen might say
    excite
    14j0vpg.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    @Tam, my family moved to North America from Yugoslavia when I was a kid and I have some stories like yours that fill me with rage that I have to force myself to focus on something else when the thought arises. Fuck those guys. Fuck that attitude.

Moving on:

Does anyone have any good resources for studying the appearances of people of different ethnicities or from different regions of the world? French vs South Slav, Tibetan vs Korean, etc, rather than just "white," "Asian," etc. I can sometimes look at someone and correctly guess at their lineage, but even if I know what I'm looking at, to successfully draw those little markers isn't something I can do. So I'm wondering, has anyone seen any good sources that break down physical characteristics of humans like that? The only ones I've seen dedicated to the subject are the Guide to Human Types artist tutorials, which are pretty extensive (I've been considering buying the full book for a while now) BUT I would like some more with it, preferably with photos. The only other site I've found that does the same thing is a website that I strongly suspect is run by white supremacists and would like to stay away from.

i realize just digging away at GIS for each group I'd like to study is the quickest answer, buuuut if any of you folks happen to know of something better, I'd appreciate it. :)

Ironically what prompted this is a character I've been meaning to draw out and design for...a few years now, who would be a south Slav. I and my entire family are south Slavs but while I can sometimes recognize one by their face, I can't actually pinpoint why or how.

Ollie on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    F87 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Noah Bradley hiking art thing?

Damn! Pretty stinkin' cool sounding. http://california.legendeer.org/

yo if signups are still open for this and it's within your means to go i cannot recommend this enough

while i haven't done any of the main legendeer programs i've had sterling hundley for classes and workshops in school and outside of school and he's one of the best teachers i've ever had

noah is okay too i guess

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    That thing sounds kinda fun but it plus airfare would be too expensive for me.

@Ollie I haven't seen a guide floating around other than that one. Really, you dont want to draw "Generic features for x ethnicity" anyway, I would just start doing studies that push for likeness. You'll start to get a feel for measuring faces and how to place features and details. I dont have a knack for it, and so I have to teach myself how to generally make sound observations and not draw a "general" face when I look at a picture of someone.

Self portraits are a good way to get into this, but I have even more trouble with that. I wonder where @pineappleherb is these days, I think hes done some of the most energetic caricature I've seen. Caricature tutorials would also probably give you good tips on finding the particular featured of one face over another, but I haven't seen a specific one I could recommend

• Options
    I honestly am not too sure how well I'd do with that!

When I'm art-ing, I kinda need to know that I have a long stretch of time where I won't be interrupted or have many distractions. I think it's one of the reasons why I prefer drawing in the evening/late night - it's quiet, nothing's happening, things are calm.

When I'm hiking, I want to look around and explore and be more physically/mentally active, and more "open to fun experiences and stuff". With art, I want to be more focused and hone in on doing my one thing.

That's not to say it wouldn't be awesome for other people, but for me I absolutely have to keep those two things separate. :P

• Options
    Yeah, I usually shut down a day to just focus on one thing in a very controlled environment. I can't ever focus outside of my desk space.

• Options
    I'd have to treat the whole trip like a sketchnight/drink and draw where I mostly do shitty drawings, but being around the other artists is a good vibe, that inspires me otherwise. That's a bit expensive of an venture for that experience but if it were in austin I would consider it for sure.

When ever I go to sketch night I just commit to ruining a few pages of my sketchbook. I don't do precious moleskin type sketchbooks, which helps.

• Options
    I can only concentrate outside my desk space, which is a different problem. My issue with outdoor work is the logistics (too much wind, uncomfortable seating arrangements, unexpected animals interrupting you).

• Options
    I hear being chased by wildlife is an incredibly motivating life experience.

• Options
    sure, but it wreaks havoc on your linework.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wait WHAT

what is this Patreon shit? Why are people making thousands of dollars a month? I don't get it! If I could make like, $50 bucks a month I'd be stoked hahaha

Making money with art is a crap shoot!

F87 on
  • Options
    What's not to get?

If you're a good artist, and/or you have a following of people interested in your work, and/or if you have something the art market desires, you can have some success with Patreon.

Making money with art is a crap shoot if you don't put the work in and keep trying to get completely ahead of yourself and make bank at any venture that will have you, rather than spend your time doing studies, maybe :rotate:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Well it helps if you have a comic or some long-running project that's difficult to monetize on its own.

If you're talking about being a freelance illustrator or concept artist or whatever, I don't know of a single one that has a successful Patreon since the nature of their work is inherently monetized.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    :rotate:
    ...Ouch!

Yeah you guys are right, I was just surprised to see how well its working for some people.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    If money is an issue, for real, try to get a part time job or at least volunteer somewhere locally. I can understand the pressure of trying to make money on your art if you feel like its the only thing you have going for you, and your desperate to make some cash. That was my life when my loans were dropping. I eventually got over it and starting looking at and acquiring skills in other sectors. I volunteered at my local spca for 6 months, I started life drawing again, I had a part time, shitty retail job.

It always seems like you have a lot of goals and not a ton of context. We are here to help, but we cant change your attitude. Every time you are frustrated its because you are looking at other artists and judging your life based on your perception their success, but it doesn't seem like you even know what you want. Its shitty to say that those artist making money on patron are getting it because its a crap shoot and they are lucky, you should know its shitty because you've been having a rough time staying grounded and doing the hard work you know you have to do. They are on the grind making deadlines and busting ass for that money, insinuating otherwise is being pretty shitty to your peers.

To be honest, it seems like you care more about people knowing you are an artist and paying you for it than actually making good art. Adjust yourself. Maybe go out and enrich some lives, and come back to art with a fresh perspective on the world. So much of life is sweat and blood and you always put more in than you get out. You have to learn to enjoy the giving part, the working part, and the bleeding part, otherwise you will just be waiting around to receive your prize for existing, and its not going to happen.

Iruka on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    So much of life is sweat and blood and you always put more in than you get out. You have to learn to enjoy the giving part, the working part, and the bleeding part, otherwise you will just be waiting around to receive your prize for existing, and its not going to happen.

Hovered between 'agree' and 'awesome', such a good way of putting it <3

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, that is shitty of me to say. I guess what I really mean, it's always been a crap shoot for me. I honestly know, like you said, what they must have gone through to get to that point. At least the basic idea and I know they deserve it. So, my bad!

I hate to come off as only wanting people to know I'm an artist. Maybe part of that is that I don't know another artist outside of the internet... Also I really don't mean to just complain about bullshit all the time here, I don't wanna be the AC emo asshole :rotate:

You guys have said it a lot, I just gotta shut up and get shit done.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I just realized it's crap chute.

Damn you, English!

[edit] wait what, no it's actually crapshoot, one word. From the game of craps.

seriously wtf, English

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    English just can't win with you, can it.

edit: wait we should probably avoid this illogical temptress of a tongue.

Englisch kann mit dir einfach nicht gewinnen, ne?

tynic on
  • Options
    F87 wrote: »
    Yeah, that is shitty of me to say. I guess what I really mean, it's always been a crap shoot for me. I honestly know, like you said, what they must have gone through to get to that point. At least the basic idea and I know they deserve it. So, my bad!

I hate to come off as only wanting people to know I'm an artist. Maybe part of that is that I don't know another artist outside of the internet... Also I really don't mean to just complain about bullshit all the time here, I don't wanna be the AC emo asshole :rotate:

You guys have said it a lot, I just gotta shut up and get shit done.

Seriously though. Go out and do something else, just for a few days a week. Talking to new people and doing some hard work elsewhere gives you excellent perspective. Sometimes changing out of pure will power is impossible if your environment just enables you to be complacent. There are farm shares, soup kitchens, animal shelters and all sorts of shit out there.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Well it helps if you have a comic or some long-running project that's difficult to monetize on its own.

If you're talking about being a freelance illustrator or concept artist or whatever, I don't know of a single one that has a successful Patreon since the nature of their work is inherently monetized.

There are a couple I can think of who seem to be primarily freelancers without any long project. They usually include tutorials, prints, sketches and whatnot at higher tiers. Running their Patreons seems like it's running a small business in addition to running their normal freelancer small business.

https://patreon.com/sakimichan (may be NSFW)

https://patreon.com/KR0NPR1NZ

There are probably all sorts more that cater to specific subsections of the erotic.

• Options
    "Specific subsections of the erotic" is my new blog title.

It will mostly be Lovecraft fanart.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I am interested in that blog.

I will be even more interested if you produce work that addresses the wants and desires a very specific but under served section of the Lovecraftian erotic community.

Pictures involving the residents of Innsmouth making out with the Blind Idiot God Azathoth.

Or as we like to call it: Az to Mouth.

ChicoBlue on
This discussion has been closed.