As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I just hope his DLC lets us catch a Golgoth guard unaware somewhere that the plot isn't dictating that stealth is necessary and we can use Al's sword to slice him the fuck up.

Isn't that how Metal Gear Rising handled it? Raiden could sneak around, play with cardboard boxes but he could also start fights without consequence. The only times he couldn't was when he controlled a little round robot dude.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This game really should have included a sequence near the end where there's like five Golgoth Guards converging on you and you just tear them to pieces
    Possibly either just before or right after you've managed to kill Abbadon, chief of all demons

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    OK, I have no idea what to do at the moment. Maybe someone can nudge me in the right direction?
    Beat Zobek. Wandered around until Alucard told me to meet him at the cathedral, so I followed the map there and there's a bunch of rubble on fire blocking my way. I can't jump over it. I know Alucard is waiting behind there because I could see him. There are demons in the area, and when I wipe them all out another one spawns around the corner which leads me to believe I have to make use of that somehow, but it's not obvious to me.

Help?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Stay on the ground and from the rubble head right. You'll find an alleyway to the area where Withered Dracula got beat up.

Viskod on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Stay on the ground and from the rubble head right. You'll find an alleyway to the area where Withered Dracula got beat up.

I came here to ask that.

Fifteen minutes later the game ended. Wow. It really is that bad.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    And I just finished it too. Yep, that's an ending, and not the conclusive ending I had expected based on what the marketing had said.

Overall, I liked the combat and some of the environments. The castle areas have some excellent vistas. I especially like the outdoor areas in the modern setting peppered with various 21st century additions.

Even though the stealth areas are pretty easy, I did not enjoy them. I was one of the people who really got stuck on Agreus, but I was thankful that it was only one floor. It felt like they had set that area up to be more than what it was.

I do regret paying full price for the game. I'll probably be waiting a while before getting the DLC...or I might stay away completely. MercurySteam's track record with DLC is not exactly stellar.

• Options
    I wanted to come in and say I'd get the DLC and let everyone know how it is

But honestly I'm not sure I'm going to

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm getting it, so I can.

• Options
    Also I would not have been surprised to see Satan start singing "Her Black Wings" since he pretty much looks exactly like Glenn Danzig in this game.
    286photopg3.jpg

• Options
    Man, the original design for Satan was really nice

I don't know why they had to make him look like something off a bad death metal album cover

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Because the guy in charge of Mercury Steam became such an arrogant asshole after the success of the first game that he seriously drove the guy responsible for the art direction of the first game out if the company.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...I guess I'll wait till this game hits like 40 bucks to get it then.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The ending reeks of "Oh no! We want to leave open the possibility of sequels!" and had it's balls thusly chopped.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Konami made them change the ending yes, but their original idea is much worse. Just depressing and stupid.

• Options
    After reading about the original ending, I'm honestly not sure which I prefer. That original ending is some dark stuff. It seems more extreme than it needs to be. I would not have been happy with that one either.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    OK, I haven't been keeping up on the thread for fear of spoilers, so I figure it's been enough time that I should ask: what's the prevalent opinion from people who really loved LoS1? I know about the anonymous dev who ripped the game due to the alleged bullshit going on at the studio, but it makes sense to ask people who have played it.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    What was the original ending supposed to be?

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    OK, I haven't been keeping up on the thread for fear of spoilers, so I figure it's been enough time that I should ask: what's the prevalent opinion from people who really loved LoS1? I know about the anonymous dev who ripped the game due to the alleged bullshit going on at the studio, but it makes sense to ask people who have played it.

I think overall most of us like LoS2 - but the ending is a bit disappointing. Totally glad I bought/played it but there is some strangeness and inconsistencies in the game.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options

I think its a good game overall. It had potential to be great though. The combat is leagues better than what LoS1 offered, but that's really the only area that was much improved. The environments and the story fall into the range of 'just as good' to 'kind of worse' depending on which area of the game you are in.

There's still some great looking art design, just not every single area like the first game. The ending is just dumb. Like the last two to three hours of the game when you're approaching the finale you'll pretty much go from "that escalated quickly" to "what the fuck that's it?" in the blink of an eye.
    Dirty wrote: »

Here you go.
    Dracula doesn't fake out Satan when pretending to stab Alucards body with the Vampire Killer, he full on stabs right through him, killing Alucard and destroying Satan at the same time. Then he looks up and sees Alucards soul, Trevor ascend into heaven smiling at him. Dracula sees that he broke the Vampire Killer when he killed Alucard, so he cannot die now, as the only one that could repair it, Zobek, is also dead.

He just starts screaming in a rage, and the remainder of the Brotherhood of Light, now that Victor isn't around to tell them about how Dracula just saved the world from Satan, grab Dracula. They drag him off and since he is totally immortal, torture him, stabbing him and cutting off limbs, and generally torturing him for all of eternity. The final image was supposed to be of his bloodied limbless torso hanging up in a dungeon somewhere, still alive, suffering forever.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

I think its a good game overall. It had potential to be great though. The combat is leagues better than what LoS1 offered, but that's really the only area that was much improved. The environments and the story fall into the range of 'just as good' to 'kind of worse' depending on which area of the game you are in.

There's still some great looking art design, just not every single area like the first game. The ending is just dumb. Like the last two to three hours of the game when you're approaching the finale you'll pretty much go from "that escalated quickly" to "what the fuck that's it?" in the blink of an eye.

Here you go.
    Dracula doesn't fake out Satan when pretending to stab Alucards body with the Vampire Killer, he full on stabs right through him, killing Alucard and destroying Satan at the same time. Then he looks up and sees Alucards soul, Trevor ascend into heaven smiling at him. Dracula sees that he broke the Vampire Killer when he killed Alucard, so he cannot die now, as the only one that could repair it, Zobek, is also dead.

He just starts screaming in a rage, and the remainder of the Brotherhood of Light, now that Victor isn't around to tell them about how Dracula just saved the world from Satan, grab Dracula. They drag him off and since he is totally immortal, torture him, stabbing him and cutting off limbs, and generally torturing him for all of eternity. The final image was supposed to be of his bloodied limbless torso hanging up in a dungeon somewhere, still alive, suffering forever.

i think the idea they were going for with that original ending was
    yeah its gruesome and yeah dracula saved the world from satan, but it is still dracula, he is still did a 1000 years worth of horrible dracula shit so he had it coming, kind of thing.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Here you go.

yeah its gruesome and yeah dracula saved the world from satan, but it is still dracula, he is still did a 1000 years worth of horrible dracula shit so he had it coming, kind of thing.

Which is sad, because honestly it would have been better to
    carry through the idea at the end of the first game where "anyone can have redemption if they ask for it" was the line Gabriel says in defiance of Satan.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Here you go.

I don't think so.
    He was totally out of it for the 1000 years between the opening and the setting of the second game, and he didn't really start waging war against the brotherhood until they sent his own son to kill him. Until then he was pretty much just without hope, because he figured if it weren't for him, Zobek or Satan would take his place and do worse, and you can't really fault him for that line of logic. I don't think he deserved eternal torture like that by any means. That's just really too gruesome. I wouldn't even wish a fate like that on Kratos.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of the ending they used, but I like that one even less.

• Options

As a guy who is known to have liked Lords of Shadow more than the average person who liked it

The sequel is disappointing and on the whole I find myself unable to recommend it.

As to this whole ending discussion

You know what would have been the perfect endcap to Gabriel's character?
    Letting him fucking die

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm hoping the DLC will give us a proper ending but... I'm not holding my breath.

What I got out of the ending ...
    Aside from clearly being rushed, it appeared to me that Dracula regretted having not been there for his son, and now that his son is cursed with immortality, he will choose to be there for him now -- rather than being selfish and killing himself. Remember, Trevor asked him when the time came to choose his family, essentially this is what he did. He chose his family over himself, by remaining alive. Additionally, with the Vampire Killer in his possession, and his symbolic destruction of the Mirror of Fate, Dracula feels he is finally in command of his own fate. Perhaps before he crushed the mirror, it had shown him an image of his suicide, which he chose to reject.

I think had they made these ideas more evident, the ending would have been serviceable.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    fix your tags yo EDIT: @AbsoluteZero

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2014
    The DLC is going to show us what Alucard was doing before the game and ending with ...
    how he took the place of Zobeks actual bodyguard.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    So, question. I love everything Castlevania. Lords of Shadow 1 was an incredible and delightful surprise. I've been looking forward to Lords of Shadow 2 for awhile. I have held off on buying it because poor.

Is the apparently terrible ending and somewhat dodgy gameplay enough to mean I should not partake until I can get it really cheap? Keep in mind I've gotten everything Castlevania I could get my hands on previously. Goofy or silly endings are sort of par for the course with the series.

• Options
    One of the backbones of what makes the original Lords of Shadow great is its consistency in theme and tone

The sequel has neither of those things

And, worse, it cannot deliver on the strong ideas that it presents

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Sadness. I really had been looking forward to it- Mirror of Fate was solid enough to keep me interested. I also enjoyed Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow greatly so modern-day Dracula was fine to me.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Honestly the letdown for me was that Dave Cox came right out and said that we would be given a definitive ending, and we were not.

I also felt let down by the ending of God of War 3 for the same reason.
    You had Hope inside you the entire time, Kratos!

What it boils down to is these action games need to have some balls when it comes to crafting an ending, and if they're going to leave it open-ended, at least be clever.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    It's been said that endings are the hardest things to write. I tend to give folks more slack if the rest is great and the ending is just . . . OK.

• Options
    That is not what happened here.

The game was never great save in brief moments, and the ending was a shambles.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That is not what happened here.

The game was never great save in brief moments, and the ending was a shambles.

I haven't seen the ending, however from what I've read in this thread as an actual description of it? I could live with it.

I am intensely curious now though; I'd like to know what folks were looking for as an ending. What was the ideal that was not achieved? I'm sure everyone here has their own way they would have liked to see it go down, and we know both the grim-dark original and the somewhat pat "Hollywood" ending. But what was the ending you all wanted?

• Options
    You're not going to get a single answer, but the problem with the ending isn't just the last fifteen seconds. It's the last hour or two leading up to the climax, the climax itself, and the denouement.

I've already posted what I thought would happen, which was kind of my ideal ending in the context of the rest of the game's narrative

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    You're not going to get a single answer, but the problem with the ending isn't just the last fifteen seconds. It's the last hour or two leading up to the climax, the climax itself, and the denouement.

I've already posted what I thought would happen, which was kind of my ideal ending in the context of the rest of the game's narrative

I wouldn't want a single answer. I want to see the variance, mainly to see if there are certain themes everyone vaguely agrees on.

I've seen the ending now, and I have to say that the only part I don't like was that it didn't really . . . end. I mean, if this is the swan song, and the DLC is only going to be Alucard, and there is no second DLC to finish the story, then that was an awfully big question to end on.

Also, (serious spoiler here)
    did anyone feel like, when Alucard mentions the sun rising and Gabriel says it's time to go, that he was contemplating suicide, and then looked into the mirror to see his fate? Because it almost seemed like that mirror changed his mind.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    It's been said that endings are the hardest things to write. I tend to give folks more slack if the rest is great and the ending is just . . . OK.

not true, its just how people tend to write them these days, in tv and such by making the ending up in the last minute instead of setting out with an ending in mind and working towards that.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Because most things in media are written with the intention of milking it out until the end of time.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    When I said that it has been said that "endings are the hardest things to write", I was talking about writers saying that. Normally though, they also say that as hard as an ending is, every writer is going to have a different section of the plot that is going to hang them up, and while the ending can be challenging to write well (unless like Deaderinred mentioned you have the ending already in hand, though that can be more complicated if the story kills your ending) most of them also state that they would prefer it not be the middle of the story that they have problems with. ;)

Again, having not seen anything but the ending, I still would be ok with it at this point. My mind might change when I get to play the whole game.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just finished it - pretty much have the sentiments a lot of others have expressed in this thread:

-Combat is much more interesting thanks to new weapons, although I also found it to be even more frustrating than the original's - some people love combat that hardcore, so I don't really consider it a bad point.
    -Stealth puzzles and running around as rats was pretty fun and the jumping/climbing movement was much better.
    -Some awesome looking boss designs.
    -Everything else about the game is inferior to the original - noticeably much of the level settings and especially the story. Disjointed, murky bull-crap. I replayed the original LoS in anticipation of the sequel, so this was all really apparent.

Spoilery bits:
    I can't believe we never got to fight those Golgoth Guard bastards in combat - I was waiting the entire game to whip them to death. At the beginning, fine, you're too weak, but what the hell, Dracula at the peak of his power isn't strong enough?

Viktor Belmont is the worst Belmont ever. Gabriel becomes Dracula, nemesis of the Belmont family, and Viktor is still worse.

The reveal of Alucard's plan was actually pretty well done, I will say. Though I saw him being Zobek's lieutenant coming, him and Dracula colluding over the centuries and using Dracula's amnesia was very cool.

Inner Dracula and Zobek's boss forms were awesome looking. So were the Riders of the Storm and the forest god boss. Pretty fun fights all around too.

Bummed that there was nothing to equal the spectacle of the Dracolich Titan boss battle. What even was that ridiculous whale-cow thing Satan summoned at the end? Was it seriously going to blow up the Earth with a mouth-blast?

Can't believe how lame Satan was as a final boss - expected some final form battle after the Alucard bit, was profoundly disappointed.

Altogether, regret buying. I may play more to unlock the rest of the concept art - that remains awesome, thankfully.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
This discussion has been closed.