As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MacBook died on os install

BarcardiBarcardi All the WizardsUnder A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
So I don't know where else to go other than here as my laptop is dead and I trust the expertise on here.

A week ago I had noticed that my laptop was freezing up, where I had never had any freezing issues before. I had yet to update to mavericks so I decided to update, per the typical apple help suggestion.

The my laptop froze and crashed during the installation of the OS X. I tried to reboot it and get it to reinstall but to no avail.

So I took it into the apple store, they managed to, over the period of three hours, to reinstall the os that my laptop shipped with. But all data was lost. They explicitly told me to go home and then try to update again.

So I go home and update, and again mavericks freezes on installation and tells me there was an error during installation.

An hour later I go back to it and now all I have is a flashing folder icon with a ? On it. What does all of this mean and how do I get apple to actually fix it?

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So I don't know where else to go other than here as my laptop is dead and I trust the expertise on here.

A week ago I had noticed that my laptop was freezing up, where I had never had any freezing issues before. I had yet to update to mavericks so I decided to update, per the typical apple help suggestion.

The my laptop froze and crashed during the installation of the OS X. I tried to reboot it and get it to reinstall but to no avail.

So I took it into the apple store, they managed to, over the period of three hours, to reinstall the os that my laptop shipped with. But all data was lost. They explicitly told me to go home and then try to update again.

So I go home and update, and again mavericks freezes on installation and tells me there was an error during installation.

An hour later I go back to it and now all I have is a flashing folder icon with a ? On it. What does all of this mean and how do I get apple to actually fix it?

Flashing folder with ? Means that a bootable device was not found. Normally caused by a bad HDD, or in the common case of a macbook a bad hdd cable. What model macbook? and with it taking that long to reinstall the OS and your previous issue with slowness I'm throwing my hat in to the bad hdd pool.

Bendery It Like Beckham on