As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Star Wars Old Republic Experience Warning to Prospective Players

bayroogbayroog Registered User new member
edited February 2014 in Games and Technology
I've been on the phone with customer support off and on for the day, and I've written enough e-mails to be absolutely exhausted with explaining myself so I'll just copy/paste some of the highlights of today's festivities.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING PAYING FOR STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC BE WARNED:

"Dear Bioware;

I have now sent out three separate e-mails and contacted your customer service line, with absolutely no results.

I purchased your game last night because I support Star Wars. It took days to download your game, as 8.1 will not allow the quickplay feature to work. I tried the game out to level 10 and then decided that I liked the game enough to want to pay for it. Honestly, you guys should have been thrilled.

I was. I rerolled my character onto The Ebon Hawk (Jedi Knight was really a great game in its day) and made him a silly white person because Marilyn Manson definitely deserves his own alien species. I played your game… the exact same quests I had just spent two days completing…. for 5 hours straight. Then I went to sleep, woke up at 9am and took my girlfriend to her job. I raced home, did 70mph on Wertzville road - I don't get a lot of time to myself, you see - and powered up my laptop only to find that you had canceled my account altogether.

This is frankly unacceptable, as I have done absolutely nothing wrong and instead have chosen to disregard the obvious similarities to World of Warcraft and finance your little operation. As a way of showing thanks, you kindly took my money and kicked me out of your virtual theme park."

I have received no correspondence from Bioware's customer support and no real explanation as to what I did wrong to warrant an immediate ban aside from an e-mail that vaguely accuses me of intending to purchase or sell a character (I'm not doing either, my highest character in the game was L10). To me, this is blatant theft. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but it somehow feels like a complete scam to play a game that is by default free, and then have my characters held hostage as soon as I pump money into the company. So just be warned.

bayroog on