As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broadband Conundrum (East Bay/Oakland)

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
Sonic.net DSL
AT&T U-Verse
Comcast

i have to choose one of these for broadband internet. we've already tried Sonic.net's DSL service, but it turns out we're too far from the TELCO Central Office to get anything above 5Mbps. too bad too, since Sonic has really really good customer service.

i need to do some telecommuting work via a VPN and enjoy online gaming. my fiancee and i like to stream videos via Netflix, Hulu, and other sources, too. i'm looking hard at U-Verse now because they apparently offer 18Mbps/1.5 up in our area. i'm worried about how bad the latency can get however.

i do NOT want to go with Comcast if i can help it. i do NOT want to help pay for them to establish a supermonopoly just on principle alone.

anyone have experience with U-Verse recently? how's online gaming for you? and the quality of the internet connection overall?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    We use U-Verse in the East Bay and the internet connection quality has been fine. I've had some terrible customer service times with them, but at the same time I don't doubt it'd be a pretty similar experience through Comcast.
    Haven't had internet issues so far but are on like our third DVR (which they do just send you a new one but you have to suffer through the long phone wait and long scripted talk). Also getting the initial setup taken care of can take some time to get an appointment. So in general probably about the same general product you're gonna get from Comcast and same suck in other areas.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If you can get U-Verse or FIOS get it at least until google broadband becomes the norm. Comcast is good, but I've found the other 2 to be better.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Was the 5Mb service not sufficient? I have at least superficially a similar usage pattern (some work at home through VPN, streaming video, online gaming) on "8Mb" that is usually really only 3-5Mb and don't have many issues.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    a single HD stream is appx 6Mbps. and it definitely eats up the whole pipe. anything in addition to that slows to a crawl :neutral_face:

often enough my fiancee will be watching something while I am working or gaming...

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I have Comcast in Oakland. They've been good to me, so far. I pay $50/mo for 20Mb.

I, too, was disappointed that Sonic was not available in my area.

zepherin: FIOS is not available in this area.
    i do NOT want to help pay for them to establish a supermonopoly just on principle alone.

Our choices are AT&T or Comcast, either way we're giving our money to a massive anticompetitive corporate oligarchy.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    a single HD stream is appx 6Mbps. and it definitely eats up the whole pipe. anything in addition to that slows to a crawl :neutral_face:

often enough my fiancee will be watching something while I am working or gaming...

Get a router that supports QoS, and prioritize your work/gaming computer

I'm not using the junk that Comcast wanted to lease me. I bought my own cable modem (Cisco DPC3008) and router (Linksys WRT54GL w/ DD-WRT) and this is what I do.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    so many oaklanders. we need another meetup when you show up, filipino. @Melkster‌, @Inquisitor77‌

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    I've got U-Verse and it's been pretty good, however their wireless hardware can be pretty shitty sometimes. They recently switched ours out with a new gateway and it's been better, but it took a lot of convincing and finally a trip to one of the AT&T stores.

Huh...
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »
    so many oaklanders. we need another meetup when you show up, filipino. @Melkster‌, @Inquisitor77‌

let me know when. i am def in.

gonna try U-verse, but i am being told by them that having current DSL service is a bit of a hiccup! figures.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Are you living in a modern building? Check if they have Webpass. $50 and my speeds when I had it were ~100mbps up and down, spiking to 150+.

http://www.webpass.net/

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Are you living in a modern building? Check if they have Webpass. $50 and my speeds when I had it were ~100mbps up and down, spiking to 150+.

some of my coworkers have told me about Webpass. unfortunately, we're in a duplex far, far away from downtown SF, so there's little chance of them even coming out here.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014

some of my coworkers have told me about Webpass. unfortunately, we're in a duplex far, far away from downtown SF, so there's little chance of them even coming out here.

Webpass is in Oakland, but AFAIK only in either very newly constructed condos, or in industrial live/work lofts.

That said, I used to support clients on Webpass in SF and... well, they do some really funky stuff with their network. Like multiple layers of NAT funky. It works great for web browsing and streaming video, but as soon as you do anything that is more complicated than that (VOIP, Skype, gaming, etc) it gets unreliable. We migrated a number of businesses way from Webpass over to Sonic DSL or Monkeybrains wireless because of issues getting (Vonage) VOIP to work.

Feral on

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Webpass is in Oakland, but AFAIK only in either very newly constructed condos, or in industrial live/work lofts.

That said, I used to support clients on Webpass in SF and... well, they do some really funky stuff with their network. Like multiple layers of NAT funky. It works great for web browsing and streaming video, but as soon as you do anything that is more complicated than that (VOIP, Skype, gaming, etc) it gets unreliable. We migrated a number of businesses way from Webpass over to Sonic DSL or Monkeybrains wireless because of issues getting (Vonage) VOIP to work.

I had the opposite experience while I had it. It was rock-solid for gaming, streaming and other stuff.