Options

The Fall of [Chat]

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    how on earth is a piece of software worth EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS?

To be fair, in Australia it's probably $8000

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Resumes scare the crap out of me. The expectations differ from place to place. Place A will throw your resume out because it didnt have a cover letter, place B thinks you are the old and out of date if you include one. In addition, every year in high school/college, 'purpose'/'objective' on the top of the resume differed based on the teacher we got. "purpose is ' to get the fucking job', dont put it on your resume' and next year: 'absolutely put a purpose on your resume you uncultured plebians!'.

Companies need to have a SOP ready for applicants. Then they can use that to weed people out who shotgun resumes to them, and get exactly what they are looking for.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Not bookmarked, but I have a file here of URLs and what they are.

pajamabuttsluts.com (young ladies in sleeping attire)

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    can I hate reaganite second wavers and misogynist blowhards equally?

Sure, you neither want to be forced out of the kitchen or into it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Resuwhatnow?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    my favorite part about doing this report is that it takes me like a week to collect all of the relevant data

nobody looks at it

then like

we need to issue a couple hundred thousand dollars in contracts

AND THEY'RE LIKE WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

it costs, roughly speaking, just as much to make any kind of software

take that cost and divide it by number of customers and you have the absolute minimum price

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Though funny enough, my last two hirings haven't really needed a resume at all. The resume was just a formality to the fact that I was being hired by one of my contacts from around town. Networking for the win.

My last promotion required my resume to go through major revisions and was custom tailored to the job. You see, HR policy is that all promotions have to go through in the summer, so in order to cheese this and promote me off cycle, I had to be treated like I was applying for the job.

My old boss and current boss told me to apply for this job. The job was mine if I wanted it. I still had to interview with HR. HR still needed to bring in a handful of external candidates who suited up and came down to interview for a job that no one had any intention of hiring them for.

EVERYTHING ABOUT HIRING IS TERRIBLE

Deebaser on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I need to finish editing and submit something for publishing but I have lost steam now. So probably won't happen.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Are you aiming for management, or a corporate gig?

At ten years of accomplishments you can do a CV, which is allowed to be more detailed.

But before that moment, every resume I ever had was under a page because FUCK multi-page resumes.

If you are giving a resume and not a CV, the job you are aiming for is not important enough to give them multiple sheets of paper.

More people need to craft a proto-resume.

Make one big document with a Short / long version of every job, your education, etc... the thing should end up being 3 pages at least.

Then copypasta the appropriate length segments for the job you are aiming for, crafting that perfect one page resume from the lego set you made for yourself earlier.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

we have software licenses that cost over ten thousand

for a license

that you have to renew

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Resumes scare the crap out of me. The expectations differ from place to place. Place A will throw your resume out because it didnt have a cover letter, place B thinks you are the old and out of date if you include one. In addition, every year in high school/college, 'purpose'/'objective' on the top of the resume differed based on the teacher we got. "purpose is ' to get the fucking job', dont put it on your resume' and next year: 'absolutely put a purpose on your resume you uncultured plebians!'.

Companies need to have a SOP ready for applicants. Then they can use that to weed people out who shotgun resumes to them, and get exactly what they are looking for.

you should never be sending out a resume without a cover letter

ever

and the reason why objective doesn't need to be there is because it should be evident from your cover letter

get a job, support the team, etc are all pleb goals

employers want to see (even if it's a lie) that you can put together a good line about why you care about what you do and how this job allows to accomplish that goal

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I swear to god my neighbours all wait to have a shit until I step into the shower

nah when you peel off your rank layers the stench floods the entire building and they all run to puke at once

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

it has a lot of math in it

like, really long division

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong division

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Guys this stuff is easy

You do a job for a few years

Then they're all

"Hey go do this other job for a few years"

Then you go live in Hawaii and do that job

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In my field, medical software starts at about $60,000

It's just insane really when you think about it. The software basically just talks to serial interfaces (the analyzers that actually do the work) and makes cool little graphs and prints reports. $60,000 for that. And that's just the "basic software with 1 interface for 1 physician" once you add more physicians and more pieces of equipment it goes higher.

I think ti's something like $120,000 for the full suite of software we have in our lab now. Of course it was a slow upgrade over time but all in all if we were to build a lab today and license it, that's what it'd be.

I should probably start working for these companies instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Syndalis dropping the pro-tier advice!

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Though funny enough, my last two hirings haven't really needed a resume at all. The resume was just a formality to the fact that I was being hired by one of my contacts from around town. Networking for the win.

My last promotion required my resume to go through major revisions and was custom tailored to the job. You see, HR policy is that all promotions have to go through in the summer, so in order to cheese this and promote me off cycle, I had to be treated like I was applying for the job.

My old boss and current boss told me to apply for this job. The job was mine if I wanted it. I still had to interview with HR. HR still needed to bring in a handful of external candidates who suited up and came down to interview for a job that no one had any intention of hiring them for.

Yeah, that was pretty common in the place I interned at as well, a big ole gov't contractor.

It was awful, I'd see these guys come in, interview for a position that I and everyone else knew they would never get.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the terrible hiring process is why i'm probably never going to get a real job

i can't do it

like, psychologically

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

it has a lot of math in it

like, really long division

As long as your dick?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

It's just insane really when you think about it. The software basically just talks to serial interfaces (the analyzers that actually do the work) and makes cool little graphs and prints reports. $60,000 for that. And that's just the "basic software with 1 interface for 1 physician" once you add more physicians and more pieces of equipment it goes higher.

I think ti's something like $120,000 for the full suite of software we have in our lab now. Of course it was a slow upgrade over time but all in all if we were to build a lab today and license it, that's what it'd be.

they have next to no customers compared to say, word

so

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Make a resume with work history, include a link to your CV, problem solved!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    but i wanna make stuff in three deeeeeeeeee

and apparently zbrush is really gooooooooood

wahhhhh

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    My experience, as a programmer, is that a resume basically exists to pass a few software checks and get you a phone interview. Once you get the phone interview, they'll talk more about your specific qualifications and experience.

• Options
    also i have no marketable skills or experience

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I'll be working for 20 years soon. #oldfart

This just made me realize: I have been working for 20 years. I got my first job at 14.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Resuwhatnow?
    Resumes.

Legumes that you vurp and continue to chew like cud. Mmmmmm peanutty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AutoCAD costs $4800 or something like that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I also love the fact that resume's have become such bullshit that even if you honest to god put your real skillsets on there. Everyone just assumes its some doctored up crap. Second job I got, my boss was gonna send me for Citrix training so I could support one of our systems. I told him I'd supported a Citrix based system for 2 years before. It said so right on my resume. He just laughed.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Pretty much any department of a business that doesn't directly generate income gets fucking shafted.
    HR/Recruiting? You can spend the money to hire people who know what they're doing and will find and hire quality people, and then keep them.
    Or you can pay bottom dollar for a couple of chucklefucks who toss the resumes in the air.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

its a bigger pain in the ass than you think.

You have these programs that NEED to be accurate, meet regulatory guidelines, communicate over old-assed teletype aged bullshit (ACK/NACK), and sells to a small, non-consumer market.

These things are expensive for a reason.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Presumably this is all safety-critical stuff though?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I love the resume that got me the temp job I am on and my actual job starting in two weeks was a 2 page resume.

Because one of the places is non-profit and thus wanted a shit ton of info and the other place is government/government contracting which requires your fucking life history to apply.

Actually my two page resume netted me more interviews and responses for jobs in two months than the 1 page.

General rule, know your sector. Some you do one page short resumes and expand on them in your one page cover letter. Others if it isn't a list of everything you have done as an adult don't apply.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Highly specialized software that doesn't see bulk sales cost a lot.

Some software costs hundreds of thousands. Because it's the kind of software you sell maybe a few hundred times, but it's incredibly good at what it does.

Enterprise level asset management software is like this (I used to be in that business).

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ok I'm going now

hopefully when I get back chat will have moved on to something less massively depressing, like the situation in the Crimea or that Malaysian Airlines flight

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Elendil wrote: »
    the terrible hiring process is why i'm probably never going to get a real job

i can't do it

like, psychologically

sure you can. It sucks, but the alternative is stewing in your fail juices until you die, which sucks more.
    Alternately, you can always join Team Quid in the military, pay your dues and make medium stacks with $$BENEFITS$$ and job security.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    QpqnhgU.jpg

MR GOAT NO

YOU HAVE A BRIGHT LIFE AHEAD OF YOU, DON'T TURN TO CRIME

• Options
    yeah i think i'm just gonna stew in my fail juices

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    My software had multimillion dollar contracts.

It was specifically government accounting software. We are not the only player in that game, so we don't get every agency. We need to redo the software every year to deal with new legislation. And it needs to be customized for every individual agency. Costs get ludicrously high really fast, we only have a few clients so it's not like we can afford selling it cheap, and it's not like they're going to get a much better deal elsewhere.

• Options
    Also: Service contracts. That software that costs a quarter million aslo has onsite support where an engineer from the developer will fly to you to support the software.

This discussion has been closed.