As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car buying tips (first timer)

XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
I've been driving the same little tin can my parents bought me nearly 14 years ago now. It's time to put this thing to rest in a scrap yard and buy a new vehicle. On the plus side, I got a lot of use out of that car over the years. On the negative side, I'm 34-years-old, and have absolutely zero experience buying cars/negotiating car loans/any of that crap.

I'll have about $13,000 saved up by the end up next month when I intend to buy. I could conceivably keep saving up for 6-8 more months (about $11,000 more) and just buy the thing outright, but I'm not sure the current car will last that long, so I'd rather just get it now and pay a little bit of interest with the intention of still paying it off by the end of the year.

I'd appreciate any tips people can provide for someone going through this process for the first time. Barring/in addition to that, are there web sites that I can just sit down and study that will give me a load of good resources in the month or so before I'm ready to buy? I found a website www.carbuyingtips.com in my bookmarks that looks like I tucked away years ago, but I don't remember where or when I got it, so I have no idea how reliable it is.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    First, read this: http://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/dealerships-rip-you-off-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/ If they start that nonsense, walk out and go to a different dealership.

Have an idea of what you want before you go. Feel free to test drive different cars, but I feel it's best to just find what you want on their website and go look at it. I also personally prefer certified pre-owned cars over new just because of the huge depreciation of cars. This is purely a personal decision, though.

The best thing you can do is have financing already before you even go. Also, have an idea of what your credit score is. If you have financing, you can just focus on the price of the car, and if your credit is good the dealer will try to match or beat your financing to get you in theirs, sometimes getting you an even better deal. Don't even talk monthly payments with them. Focus on purchase price and interest rate, the rest will fall in line.

Since you most likely won't be getting a large loan, I would get it as short of a term as you can afford the monthly payments on. Alternatively, feel free to take a longer term and just pay more on it per month than required so you have some room if you have a bad month, but you'll still pay it off sooner.

You'll be able to talk them down from their list price somewhat, but they'll only go so far. Having prices of the same or similar cars from other nearby dealerships will help a lot with this. Most places will try to match. See if there's a town 50 miles or so away that has cars cheaper than you're seeing at your local dealership.

Don't hesitate to walk away if you feel you aren't being given a good deal or that they're trying to take advantage of you. Having financing and your credit score helps immensely with this since you aren't at their mercy. You'll probably not want to accept their first offer. Be hesitant and see what else they can do. I think I ended up taking the third offer on my most recent purchase once it was in line with what I wanted.

• Options
    I've actually got a pretty good idea on what I want to buy. I'm definitely going to be buying a Mazda CX-5. I'm still on the fence between used/new, though I'm leaning new just because used won't save me a huge amount with this particular car from what I've seen, plus the extra hassle involved in making sure you're not buying a lemon. But again, first time buyer, so maybe I'm over estimating how much of an issue it would really be.

Financing wise, the web site I put up earlier also mentioned having that squared away before. I've got a buddy that does loans for Chase that I'm going to grab a beer with next week and get some info from him. Regardless of what he says, it sounds like getting that remaining $11,000 from the dealer should be a last resort.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Even if you think you love the car I'd encourage you to test drive it. If things are cool it's just a fun little jaunt, if things are not cool you know before it's too late. When you test drive be absolutely decided you will not buy a damn thing that day. Depending on your tolerance for high pressure salesmen, how they treat you may decide where you buy the car from.

If you go new look up how much those cars are selling in your area for. I've used Edmund's True Price thingy but their are other services as well. Make yourself a disposable email address and solicit quotes from every dealer remotely near. You may (emphasize may) want to stay local but being able to say "I've got a quote x dollar lower for the same thing. What am I paying you more for?" is a big confidence boost. Be aware they will hound you once they've got an address. It'd be foolish to give them a real one.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Agree with everything said above - also, the prices I got via internet quotes a few years ago (Mazda 3) were actually pretty much as low as the 'best case' negotiation prices I was seeing online

The only real advantage to financing through the dealer would be if your credit is good enough that you qualify for a 0% financing-type promo deal (which you're obviously not going to get from a credit union)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    honestly, I got the best service and the best prices when I literally couldn't afford it.

I looked at a few cars at some place and couldn't afford them. I told the salesman as much and left. Every week for 2 months he'd call me with a lower price.

Eventually I bought a car from some other place that was desperate to get it off the lot.

FYI, prices for new cars go down when new models hit the lot (I think around october or november?).

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    FYI, prices for new cars go down when new models hit the lot (I think around october or november?).

Yeah, catching a good deal from a previous model year can, in some cases, put new almost on par with certified used. Particularly if you can get better financing on the new one, reducing how much you actually pay over the course of the loan.

You can get a bit of a bump, if you're patient, selling a single-owner car with full maintenance records as well.

Everything else said is gold. I wouldn't call dealer financing a "last resort," per se, but you definitely want to walk in with your own financing if possible to establish a negotiating position. If they beat it, great. If not, stick with yours.

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    Best advice I can give is to do all of this online. Email the dealer and keep pushing to make sure you nail then down in price, terms, etc before you go in at all.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If you're looking at new - truecar.com makes it super easy. Even if you don't buy from their dealers, make the dealer you're at match the price.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Something I did which may not apply but keep in mind that Enterprise and Hertz are nice methods for testing out your car of choice on the home front.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    my god i'm so glad the franchise i work for doesn't do any of that bullshit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Xobyte wrote: »
    I've actually got a pretty good idea on what I want to buy. I'm definitely going to be buying a Mazda CX-5. I'm still on the fence between used/new, though I'm leaning new just because used won't save me a huge amount with this particular car from what I've seen, plus the extra hassle involved in making sure you're not buying a lemon. But again, first time buyer, so maybe I'm over estimating how much of an issue it would really be.

Financing wise, the web site I put up earlier also mentioned having that squared away before. I've got a buddy that does loans for Chase that I'm going to grab a beer with next week and get some info from him. Regardless of what he says, it sounds like getting that remaining $11,000 from the dealer should be a last resort.

1) You probably will buy new since the CX-5 is a relatively new model of car and there will be few on the used market, and even if you do find one, the first year of a production run is generally not a great buy since it takes then 1-2 years to iron out the whoopsies

2) With that much money in your pocket you hold all cards. Not sure if Chase does auto loans or not though and they may be tentative on giving you a loan without the target car in mind since you have seem to have little or no credit to speak of. You should be able to make demands on price of the car since you have significant buying power with half the sticker price in cash

3) The trope of not working with the dealer finance guy, in my experience, is both tired and wrong. Here's what most dealer finance guys do: they put your application in a computer and let fifteen different banks bid on the interest rate, and then they pick the lowest rate. End of summary. What you don't want is to go with *factory financing* which is the financing of last resort for dealers.

but anyway, I would aim for a new CX-5 and you should be holding out for an APR in single digits (not sure on your credit history, but a new car buyer in this economy can and should expect between 3 and 7%, you might be penalized as a first timer though)

• Options
    Also - check out the entire class of competition for the CX-5, as there can be little things that sway you to another. Check out the CR-V, Forester, CX-5, Crosstrek, Rav4, kia offerings etc. Dot your i's and cross your t's to make sure you have the vehicle you want, as often the paper specs don't live up to the product.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    My buddy works at Chase, but I'm a member of Bank of America. I figured we'd head out for beers and just have a casual conversation about the topic before I head into a bank and start the formal process of actually applying for a loan. If Chase doesn't do auto loans, I'll still have a nice evening having a couple beers with a friend if nothing else.

I did just run my credit score, and I'm sitting at 710 which is honestly a lot better than I expected. I don't have a ton of credit card debt, but I do have just shy of $40,000 in student loans that I started paying on last year. I'm guessing those are common enough that they're weighted differently against me though. And what I'm reading is any score above 680 should qualify me for a good, low APR, so that's promising. Also, I remembered that when my wife bought her car a few years ago, I cosigned on the $4000 we needed to loan for that. My credit is better than hers though, so I may have been the primary loanee. I guess "first timer" isn't actually accurate, though we had to go out and buy in a hurry since her last car had utterly died and wasn't worth repairing any longer. Either way, this is the first time I've had plenty of time to shop around and prepare and make sure I get a good deal.

I'm planning on going and taking a test drive on my next day off on Wednesday. Since I won't be able to buy until next month, period, I figure this is a good way to flat out remove any temptation to buy that same day. As for similar vehicles in the class, I've looked at Honda's, Subaru's and Toyota's offerings. Most of them are either more expensive or get worse gas mileage. Or the features are nearly identical, in which case the design of the Mazda just appeals to me more. I'll keep looking, but I've been narrowing down to the Mazda for the last six months, so I'm pretty decided on that one.

Xobyte on
  • Options
    Yep, just keep doing your homework, you're doing the right thing. Make sure you test drive all of them too, as how they feel behind the wheel is vastly more important than how they look.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    If you're not comfortable haggling at an auto dealer, then something like truecar, or the various buying memberships (costco has one for example) could be useful to you. Basically, you settle the price online - walk into the dealer, and pay.

About financing - your credit score is pretty good - you'll probably qualify for the the best offers at a dealer when buying new. A quick look online shows that Mazda now gives you 0.9% financing - that's *almost* free money. Definitely get pre-approved for something at your bank (just in case the dealer can't get you a good rate), but the buying process should be nearly painless for you.

Now finally - you're set on the Mazda - but before you dismiss the others, TEST DRIVE THEM ALL. Seriously. The reason the newest Mazdas get such good gas mileage is that they have less powerful engines - and you might be more comfortable with a faster car. Or the Mazda may be just perfect. Also - good design usually results in reduced visibility (small windows look cool :) )... so drive something that you don't necessarily find very attractive just to compare the visibility.

• Options
    Alright guys, you've convinced me. Wednesday will be test drive day. I'll go and test drive a bunch of class-similar cars, and just make a day of it. If nothing else, apparently my wife wants me to get an AWD now, where as before I thought I was fine with a FWD. So I'll at least be trying out both of those to get a feel for the difference.

I got my credit score from a couple more places, and it's highest at Experian (724) and lowest at Equifax (664), though I notice they're all using my income from 2012, and haven't updated to my 2013 income which was double. Taxes were just filed last week, so hopefully by the time I actually apply for the loan, those numbers should improve.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I got my credit score from a couple more places, and it's highest at Experian (724) and lowest at Equifax (664), though I notice they're all using my income from 2012, and haven't updated to my 2013 income which was double. Taxes were just filed last week, so hopefully by the time I actually apply for the loan, those numbers should improve.

You'll definitely want to get that Equifax score settled because lenders tend to use the lowest one.

• Options
    It looks like it's an old credit card that's closed and settled from 10+ years ago. So I'm not sure what more I can really do to settle it, other than what I've been doing.

• Options
    HaukyHauky Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, the new model year CX-5s are coming in, like, right now. If you can live with a last year's "new" model and aren't too picky on options (since you won't be able to custom order anymore), now's the best time to get one.

We found this out when we were looking at a new one about a month ago from the chillest car salesman I've ever talked to. Naturally, the wife decided later that she wants new kitchen counters first, so we don't get to take advantage... so I pass this information onto you, that you may use it in our stead.

bobross.png
  • Options
    New as in 2015? Because I was expecting to get 2014 anyway.

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    With financing, you can be pre-approved at your bank/loan of your choice, but sometimes it might be better to go with the dealership if they're having 0.9% financing for new models. Mazda is running some good deals for 0.9% financing. It's not a bad thing to wait on better incentives/rebates.

Just test drive all the cars you can, regardless of model/brand/make. Even though you may be set on a Mazda, you might end up liking something else more, or you may not like the Mazda as much.

I also think it's wise to do some research on the "expected" costs for maintenance to see how much you'd be putting into the car and what tends to wear more on it. Of course, it's just expected costs, but it's something else to think about.

When you're at the dealership, it's the salesperson's job to get you to commit on the spot. You do not have to commit, as you're the customer, you call the shots on what you will purchase. If you're not comfortable, then do the research/questions online. Most large dealerships have online questionnaires/service if you rather go this route.

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    The dealer will go with 710 which is the middle score, which is a very good score for a new car purchase

you'll have a good deal

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The dealer will go with 710 which is the middle score, which is a very good score for a new car purchase

you'll have a good deal

My dealership said they use the lowest of the 3, so it apparently varies.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

you'll have a good deal

My dealership said they use the lowest of the 3, so it apparently varies.

This is a good example of where dealers have discretion and why you shop around a bit.

If you get excluded from the .9% financing at one dealer I'd go talk with another one. Generally they have more latitude than they really want to let on.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    When you're looking at buying a car, there are three points in a car's life when it takes a major drop in value that you can take advantage of.

a) Ex demo brand new. You save bunch on this. It's essentially a new car with a few hundred kilometres on it from being test driven as a demo.

b) Last year's model. You get another chunk off on this, because a lot of people always want the shiniest.

c) Three year's old preowned. A lot of car leases are typically three years long, particularly corporate leases. This means that the market is typically quite saturated with three year old cars for which the lease has expired and the original owner is going to buy another new car. The market value of the car lost per year has peaked during these three years, and is the best time to get a relatively new car.

• Options
    Going test driving tomorrow. Don't know if I'm going to be able to hit everything, but the list so far looks like this:
    Honda CR-V
    Mazda CX-5
    Nissan Rogue & Juke
    Toyota RAV4
    Subaru Forester & XV Crosstrek
    Jeep Cherokee
    Ford Escape
    Hyundai Tucson
    Kia Sportage
    Buick Encore

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You can cross the Buick, the Jeep, and the Kia off that list to start with... Also the Subaru XV is kind of the shittiest car they've made in a long while. You might love it the way some folks love their Pontiac Aztek, but they're not selling well for a reason.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    We bought a 2012 Tucson last November for the wife and she likes it. Cargo capacity is a little short due to the angled back, and got the usual Hyundai wind noise but good safety features and she likes the ride. I had terrible with the drive assist or whatever it's called: did not match with my spirited driving style which is why a test drive is always good. Have fun!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    don't buy a buick

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If the forester is the good engine version, I would predict it as the winner.

I am excited to hear the conclusion.

Good advice up in this thread for future readers.

• Options
    You can cross the Buick, the Jeep, and the Kia off that list to start with... Also the Subaru XV is kind of the shittiest car they've made in a long while. You might love it the way some folks love their Pontiac Aztek, but they're not selling well for a reason.

Ha, what? Crosstrek's are everywhere here in New England. Crosstrek is decent if you need an Impreza with more ground clearance, but that's basically all it is.
    http://www.subaru.com/company/news/

Sales are increasing on it.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Yeah, they basically took the Imprezza Outback Sport (discontinued a few years back) and brought it back as its own "model".

• Options
    9 hours of test driving, with a lunch thrown in, and I'm spent. I didn't get to everything on my list, but I was able to cross off the Rogue, Juke, Forester, Crosstrek, Cherokee, and Encore. I wasn't able to get to the Escape, Tucson, Sportage or Sorento. A lot of guys kept recommending the Escape, even those that had nothing to do with Ford, so I'll probably have to make a point of going out and test driving that one on another day.

What I've narrowed down to is:
    CX-5 - I actually bookended my test driving with this, since it was my first choice and I figured it would be easier to compare if I both started and ended with it. The first drive of the day, the seat back was kind of uncomfortable, but the cabin was spacious and it drove well with good handing. The second drive, the seat back didn't seem to have the same issue, so I'm not sure if it was just more broken in or what.

CR-V - Roomy interior and good handling. Big plus is it felt like there was a good spot for every limb to comfortably rest. Perhaps an unusual positive, but I'm a big, broad shouldered guy, and I've been driving a Chevy Metro for the last 14 years, so comfort is a major factor for me here. Negative is I do not like the body styling. I know that shouldn't be a huge factor, which is why this is still a contender. But I'm the kind of person that drives his car for a long-ass time, so it's important that I not compromise on what I want with this purchase, since I'll be driving it for the next decade most likely. The Honda is probably at the bottom of my list.

RAV4 - This is the surprise. The Toyota was honestly an afterthought leaving the house today. It was the final drive before the second CX-5 outing, and I almost didn't take it since I was getting pretty wiped by that point, but goddamn I'm glad I did. The interior is a little on the plain side, but I may actually prefer that. Handling and acceleration was nice and smooth, and it probably had the least cabin noise of the three. Comfortable to sit in and drive for me. And the body styling is just flashy enough to appeal to me. For starting the day as an afterthought, the RAV4 is now competing for top spot with the CX-5.

Next step is to get my financing in order in a week or two. After that, I'll probably do another afternoon of test driving the three finalists with my wife so she can contribute her thoughts, and get it down to a single vehicle. Then some online quotes for that choice, before going and making the purchase.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'd get some inside intel on dealer incentives and price structures now that you've narrowed down your model options. See http://www.fightingchance.com/. The website is very 2001, but I used his info to get a few hundred bucks below invoice without trying too terribly hard. Worth the price.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    your ability to go below invoice is based on the time of year

they're unlikely to sell 2014's below invoice in April if demand is average to high

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just curious @Xobyte‌, what crossed the Juke off the list? I've been thinking about buying a new car soonish, and that was one that I was looking at.

• Options
    For price - Truecar.com to get the best price, or at least have a favorable baseline for negotiations.
    CR-V - .9% financing right now
    CX-5 - .9% financing as well
    Rav4 - 1.9% financing - Toyota's been in a bit of a lull, so you can likely beat them up on price pretty hard.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just a heads up your rebate eligibility will most likely change after the 31st. So if you've had any price quotes they will most likely end up being a bit different.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Just curious @Xobyte‌, what crossed the Juke off the list? I've been thinking about buying a new car soonish, and that was one that I was looking at.

It was just a lot smaller than I was looking for. I actually didn't even end up driving it. The cabin looked like it would be fine, but it just didn't have the cargo space that I wanted, so I didn't bother. Similar with the Crosstrek, since that was just the Impreza with better clearance. The Rogue had the cargo space, but the cabin felt really crowded and cramped compared to everything else I was trying.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    9 hours of test driving, with a lunch thrown in, and I'm spent. I didn't get to everything on my list, but I was able to cross off the Rogue, Juke, Forester, Crosstrek, Cherokee, and Encore. I wasn't able to get to the Escape, Tucson, Sportage or Sorento. A lot of guys kept recommending the Escape, even those that had nothing to do with Ford, so I'll probably have to make a point of going out and test driving that one on another day.

What I've narrowed down to is:
    CX-5 - I actually bookended my test driving with this, since it was my first choice and I figured it would be easier to compare if I both started and ended with it. The first drive of the day, the seat back was kind of uncomfortable, but the cabin was spacious and it drove well with good handing. The second drive, the seat back didn't seem to have the same issue, so I'm not sure if it was just more broken in or what.

CR-V - Roomy interior and good handling. Big plus is it felt like there was a good spot for every limb to comfortably rest. Perhaps an unusual positive, but I'm a big, broad shouldered guy, and I've been driving a Chevy Metro for the last 14 years, so comfort is a major factor for me here. Negative is I do not like the body styling. I know that shouldn't be a huge factor, which is why this is still a contender. But I'm the kind of person that drives his car for a long-ass time, so it's important that I not compromise on what I want with this purchase, since I'll be driving it for the next decade most likely. The Honda is probably at the bottom of my list.

RAV4 - This is the surprise. The Toyota was honestly an afterthought leaving the house today. It was the final drive before the second CX-5 outing, and I almost didn't take it since I was getting pretty wiped by that point, but goddamn I'm glad I did. The interior is a little on the plain side, but I may actually prefer that. Handling and acceleration was nice and smooth, and it probably had the least cabin noise of the three. Comfortable to sit in and drive for me. And the body styling is just flashy enough to appeal to me. For starting the day as an afterthought, the RAV4 is now competing for top spot with the CX-5.

Next step is to get my financing in order in a week or two. After that, I'll probably do another afternoon of test driving the three finalists with my wife so she can contribute her thoughts, and get it down to a single vehicle. Then some online quotes for that choice, before going and making the purchase.

Just a comment in favor of the CRV, I'm currently driving a 2002 model with over 200,000 miles in it and have yet to have any major issues with it.