As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So apparently The Winter Soldier is a pretty COOL [Superhero Movie]

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I remember when Wonder Girl was a great character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Post TWS spoilers
    jWq06B9.png

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sorry bro, some guy said you can't put words on pictures.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kenneth Rocafort is a legit great artist though

I love his style

• Options
    I mean that Raven redesign looks pretty dope

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Raven looks good.

Wonder Girl looks like page one of a Hustler spread.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    Raven looks good.

Wonder Girl looks like page one of a Hustler spread.

Which is when you realize she's, like, 16. WTF comics?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    You know how Archie has that flash-forward series called Life With Archie where all the characters are grown-up and everything? I think they're doing a dual timeline thing where in one he's married to Betty and in the other he's married to Veronica, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, apparently it's ending this summer.
    With the Death of Archie (and no, he doesn't die of old age, he gets killed).

I'm not sure how this fits into that dual timeline thing or what.

Lars on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Heard the latest DC comic book grotesquerie, and it is dumb as fuck, make no mistake

But I've been catching up on comics, and it must be noted that the Fear Itself and Siege events were pretty gruesome too

Pointless carnage was sort of the point of one, and then Sentry ripped a guy in half lengthwise in the other one before getting deep fries

And I've seen a fair share of people losing limbs and such

Comic book events seem filled with dumb shocking stuff as a rule, with the recent exception of Infinity

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'd be happy with an event where a character lost a limb, even if they got it back the next issue, if it actually had some meaning behind it.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Heard the latest DC comic book grotesquerie, and it is dumb as fuck, make no mistake

But I've been catching up on comics, and it must be noted that the Fear Itself and Siege events were pretty gruesome too

Pointless carnage was sort of the point of one, and then Sentry ripped a guy in half lengthwise in the other one before getting deep fries

Comic book events seem filled with dumb shocking stuff as a rule, with the recent exception of Infinity

I don't disagree that those events had pretty brutal/gruesome moments, but this nonsense from DC is in their FCBD offering.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am about to watch this.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Weirdly specific powers are always the best kinds of powers

The worst thing in comics is when every hero has a way to fly and super endurance and strength

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    FCBD offerings from the big two are terrible. I can't remember any good ones. I tend to get one's I haven't heard of anyway on FCBD (I didn't do FCBD last year so maybe Marvel did something good?). I can see why DC and Marvel don't put any effort into their FCBD books though. They already have most of the market, they don't need to advertise.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Here it is in a nutshell: Did you see that stupifyingly atrocious piece-of-crap X-MEN sampler comic in TV GUIDE? My rage had no words. It was a textbook example of how NOT to write and draw something a prospective first-time reader could possibly understand or enjoy or want to see more of. Hell, I’ve been reading comics for 34 years and I had to read it three times to figure out what was going on.

That was Mark Waid on Bob Harras, 14 years ago. Bob Harras is the Editor-in-Chief at DC now. It is entirely unsurprising that the FCBD comic is terrible for introducing new readers to comics.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Wasn't Ultimate Spider-Man #1 a FCBD comic once

I distinctly remember my mom getting that for me at the store once on FCBD

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    That sounds pretty great actually. Actually, looking into theFCBD comics from DC and Marvel, I think terrible may be an exaggeration. Some are abysmal. Most are average, middling, pointless. There's some that look good.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    FCBD offerings from the big two are terrible. I can't remember any good ones. I tend to get one's I haven't heard of anyway on FCBD (I didn't do FCBD last year so maybe Marvel did something good?). I can see why DC and Marvel don't put any effort into their FCBD books though. They already have most of the market, they don't need to advertise.

rocket_raccoon.jpg

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

rocket_raccoon.jpg

FCBDALLAGE2014-int2-2-826e0.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Marvel's FCBD stuff has been perfectly fine for a while now

years ago they did an amazing X-Men/Runaways one-shot

Thor: The Mighty Avenger Meets Captain America

Last year was the Infinity Prelude

Thor/Iron Man by Fraction, Dark Avengers/New Avengers by Bendis and then this year we get Flash and Carol joining the Guardians and Rocket having a solo adventure

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    They have arrived, Drown me in your Envy!
    ( Totally wearing one to TWS tomorrow night too)

Not spoilers, just large pictures
    1966047_10152858068381091_6362310203996547996_o.jpg
    1980159_10152858068271091_2595101272595434747_o.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    oh my god that Rocket and Groot

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @WiseManTobes, I too just recently got a similar shirt!

Thorrios-shirt-600x709.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I'm still having 0 luck tracking down a Young shirt from comicon tho, they need to make more of those dammit, can't even find them on Ebay. May have to just go to a less than reputable local shirt maker or something.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    UK Reviews for ASM 2 are trickling in and the consensus so far seems to be it is kinda unfocused and has too many villains/too much foreshadowing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    UK Reviews for ASM 2 are trickling in and the consensus so far seems to be it is kinda unfocused and has too many villains/too much foreshadowing

I like how that is still a complaint even though (Cap 2 spoilers)
    we got FIVE villains in Cap2 and they all worked fine.

• Options

Everyone's favorite moment of Infinity is Thor throwing a hammer through a dude's chest

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Everyone's favorite moment of Infinity is Thor throwing a hammer through a dude's chest

"But... this means.... everything dies..."

"You first"

• Options
    Thor is the king of super badass one liners

"We would have words with thee"
    "I care not!"
    "Thunder"

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

In fairness there's a big tonal difference between that, which is a definite "YEEEEEEEEEEAH" moment, versus what happens in the DC stuff being talked about

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

In fairness there's a big tonal difference between that, which is a definite "YEEEEEEEEEEAH" moment, versus what happens in the DC stuff being talked about

I agree, I'm just saying Infinity did have that, the difference is all in the presentation and execution.

(and for the record I love Siege and Ares' death at Sentry's hands was a legitimate HOLY SHIT moment at the time.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Movie ruined.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    To be fair, I think tearing things in half is one of Sentry's powers at this point. He's just using what he's got on hand.

Things he's torn in half:

Some people (mostly bad)
    Maybe a Doombot or something?
    His own face
    His entire head

Dude just likes the hands-on approach.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    whoa whoa whoa

They actually got an Asian actress to play Karai?

• Options
    I'm always genuinely surprised whenever I realize Tony Shaloub is a real person, I always thought it was like a fake actor name they made up for movies, like 555-#### phone numbers.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    They have arrived, Drown me in your Envy!
    ( Totally wearing one to TWS tomorrow night too)

Not spoilers, just large pictures

I got my Groot Loops shirt yesterday, I wanna also wear it to TWS tommorrow but I think I need to see about exchanging it if possible. I made the mistake of getting my actual shirt size cause I've never had their shirts before.

• Options
    Ya I went XL cause usually those are baggy on me, and it's tighter than expected. ( I'm 6'2 tho, shirts are a pita most of the time is why I default to largest available usually)

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Wow, I have been being so little attention to ASM2 that I didn't even realise it's out here next week. Really can't be arsed, especially after only just watching Cap 2.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It looked fun. That'd be the only reason I'd see it.

This discussion has been closed.