As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Console Tournaments for 2014!

BrainsBrains Console Tournament ManagerRegistered User regular
edited March 2014 in PAX East
Hey All,

This is the usual rules post for Console Tournaments.

First: Signups for a given tournament starts on the day of the tournament.

Second: Signups start at 10am each day.

Third: All tournaments are single-elimination.
- We know this is rough, but we only have so much time.

That said, we’ll get into the games (ordered by day):

Friday

11am - Geometry Wars 2
4-way Free for all
Mode: Deadline

12pm - Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Ultimate (360)
Bring Your Own Fight Stick (If you want one)
Unusual controllers subject to community review.

1pm - Super Puzzle Fighter
X’ Mode

2pm - Halo 4
4-way Free for all
Basic MLG rules
Single map

3pm - Towerfall Ascension
4-way Free for all

5pm - Burnout Crash!
Mode: Rush Hour
No Elite Vehicles

6pm - Double Dash
2v2, 100cc

7pm - Tetris Attack
Level 7 start

8pm - Smash Bros Brawl
3 stock, 8 mins
No Items
This tournament has two parts, the second part starts at 10pm. The winners of each part will play Grand Finals at the end of the second part.

9pm - Fifa 14
Short games (need to be sub 10 mins).
Help me out here guys, what are good Fifa rules?

10pm - Brawl part 2

Saturday

11am - Goldeneye (N64)
4-way Free for all

12pm - Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition (360)
Unusual controllers subject to community review.

1pm - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (PS)
Graffiti Mode, High score, Base stats.

2pm - Blur
Class B cars and below.

3pm - Halo CE: Anniversary
8-way Classic Slayer

5pm - Puzzle Bobble

6pm - Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Bring Your Own Stick

7pm - You Don’t Know Jack (360)
Random Episodes

8pm - Divekick
128 players

9pm - NBA Jam: On Fire

Sunday

11am - Saturn Bomberman
10-way Free for all (It’s crazy!)

12pm - Diddy Kong Racing (Community selected)
4-way Free for all
Racing
T.T. banned.

1pm - Soul Calibur V (360)

2pm - Killer Instinct (XBOne) (Community selected)

3pm - Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii)
1v1 first to finish

4pm - Call of Duty: Ghosts (360) (Community selected)
8-way Free for all
No loadout bans

Did I forget anything?

Questions and comments are welcome!

Brains on

• RenneesmeRenneesme Registered User regular
    What does 'Bring your own stick' mean?

3DS FC: 4382-3356-7103
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    think they are referring to fight sticks ...

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • BrainsBrains Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Yes, in general, fight sticks are the desired controller for fighting games...and we very rarely have any to provide for use.

If you want to use a fight stick in a tournament, your best bet is to bring your own.

• ZenoxioZenoxio Saratoga NYRegistered User new member
    Just curious why there's no Blazblue CP tournament? It released in the US last week, so I figured it would have been a tournament.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    were would the tournament sign-ups happen like does each tourny have a dif place you should go to sign up or are they all in one place.

Zenoxio wrote: »
    Just curious why there's no Blazblue CP tournament? It released in the US last week, so I figured it would have been a tournament.
    In general, it's very difficult to plan tournaments for games with release dates this close to the show.
    rascrush wrote: »
    were would the tournament sign-ups happen like does each tourny have a dif place you should go to sign up or are they all in one place.
    Tournament sign-ups for console tournaments listed above will be held in the Console Tournament registration room, 153B.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    cool thanks may have to sign up for the nba jam one if nothing else comes up

• KowtowRobinsonKowtowRobinson Registered User new member
    edited April 2014
    I was hoping the organizers would have sticks available for use, but oh well. I'll bring a bigger bag I guess.

Since I'm bringing the stick along, will there be any places for free play stations? I didn't see anything on the schedule last I checked. Definitely entering SC5, possibly Persona 4 if I find time to practice up a bit.

EDIT: Oh that was my other question, some of these tournaments are only 32 man tournies. Are you fitting all signups into 32 man brackets? Or is there really that small of a player cap? I can imagine some of them would draw more interest than that.

DOUBLE EDIT: And by some of them I do of course mean SATURN BOMBERMAN.

KowtowRobinson on
    I was hoping the organizers would have sticks available for use, but oh well. I'll bring a bigger bag I guess.

Since I'm bringing the stick along, will there be any places for free play stations? I didn't see anything on the schedule last I checked. Definitely entering SC5, possibly Persona 4 if I find time to practice up a bit.

EDIT: Oh that was my other question, some of these tournaments are only 32 man tournies. Are you fitting all signups into 32 man brackets? Or is there really that small of a player cap? I can imagine some of them would draw more interest than that.

DOUBLE EDIT: And by some of them I do of course mean SATURN BOMBERMAN.
    So, there are fighter stations (Xbox 360 only, I think) in Console Free Play, so you should investigate there.

We're also going to try to have a practice hour for all of the games for each day from 10am-11am.

Saturn Bomberman has a 40 player cap (mostly for time reasons). Also it's 10-way. If that's wrong somewhere on the site, it's likely my fault.

• revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I think the default settings for FIFA 14 would work fine (6 minute halves), but I think you can change that to 5 minute halves if you need to. If I could make a request for that event, it would be a 4-star max for teams, just so you don't see Barcelona v Barcelona all night long. I'm probably in the minority wanting something like that, but just wanted to throw it out there.

• AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I haven't played any fps on console in like 2 years... but I think I could prob still hold my own on halo. Who knows, I might sign up for it.

I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
    Brains wrote: »
    So, there are fighter stations (Xbox 360 only, I think) in Console Free Play, so you should investigate there.

We're also going to try to have a practice hour for all of the games for each day from 10am-11am.

Saturn Bomberman has a 40 player cap (mostly for time reasons). Also it's 10-way. If that's wrong somewhere on the site, it's likely my fault.

So do all of the tournies have similar caps? Or would they fill out a second 32 man bracket for a particular game if there was interest? Just would hate to come along to sign up and be the 33rd guy in line, lol.

So do all of the tournies have similar caps? Or would they fill out a second 32 man bracket for a particular game if there was interest? Just would hate to come along to sign up and be the 33rd guy in line, lol.
    The caps very quite a bit by game: some are capped at 64, and the two largest tourneys (smash and divekick) are capped at 128. The caps are a hard limit, any more people and the tourneys would take too long to finish.

We add a few spots to each tourney as a waiting list, because it's common for a few people to drop out (or forget to show up).

Prizes? I know my cousin won some pretty sweet stuff last year on some PC competitions. I'll still show if it's just for fun, but just curious.

• GausGaus Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Sonic All Star Racing is going to be on 3DS or Vita?

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • symbyosyssymbyosys Registered User regular
    I think the default settings for FIFA 14 would work fine (6 minute halves), but I think you can change that to 5 minute halves if you need to. If I could make a request for that event, it would be a 4-star max for teams, just so you don't see Barcelona v Barcelona all night long. I'm probably in the minority wanting something like that, but just wanted to throw it out there.

I agree with default 12-minute games and 4 star team limit. I don't think there needs to be any other rules.

Prizes? I know my cousin won some pretty sweet stuff last year on some PC competitions. I'll still show if it's just for fun, but just curious.

Prizes: Medals.
    Gaus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Sonic All Star Racing is going to be on 3DS or Vita?
    That's a question for Handheld, and I can't find the handheld thread :(
    symbyosys wrote: »

I agree with default 12-minute games and 4 star team limit. I don't think there needs to be any other rules.
    Thanks guys! I think we're going to drop it to 10-minute games, because we'll run out of time otherwise.

Also, I remember last year there was some commotion about defensive style (legacy vs. tactical). Any opinions there?

• revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! I think we're going to drop it to 10-minute games, because we'll run out of time otherwise.
    Also, I remember last year there was some commotion about defensive style (legacy vs. tactical). Any opinions there?
    I prefer legacy defending, but I think as long as it's clearly stated ahead of time which you'll be using it should be fine. As long as everyone's using the same thing it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

• symbyosyssymbyosys Registered User regular
    For FIFA, I prefer all manual controls and legacy defending, but that's my playstyle, I wouldn't mind if people choose different control styles. If my opponent chooses all assisted and tactical, that's fine. It really comes down to what people are used to. There's no handicap or advantage to the different control styles. Enforcing a minimal number of rules is always better right :smile: