As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] Comic #4 Out Now!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    OIgZnW1.png

I finally opened an unusual. I can stop buying keys. The curse has been lifted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltI8ydSIojE

488W936.png
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    I think it looks fine once you see it in game and are moving around.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    It's definitely different than what it's been. Took me awhile to get used to it, but it has grown on me a lot. The map felt very sterile before.

Also basically everything except for the final building interior has preliminary "final" lighting done to it. Tried to incorporate your feedback from before, xzzy. Lit up a bunch of doorways.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ran around on the new version, I still really like the new lighting. The hanging plants are nice, and the shed's that replaced the tunnels going form second to mid are real good too. I think the big concrete walls near mid could still use something to break them up a bit.

That weird seem is back in spawn again.

2014-07-27_00002_zps558e1758.jpg

I didn't look in blu, but I assume it's the same.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have no idea what could be causing that seam, it's perfectly tight together in Hammer. I'll have to try remaking that section.

Thanks for running around it!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Same problem same spot on blue side too.

Source engine is fucking dumb when it comes to trying to make curves, it's probably trying to "fix" faces or vertices that are slightly non-coplanar.

If you save the vmf, exit hammer, and reload the vmf and stuff has moved around that's generally what's going on.

• Options
    Nope, not that at all. It was working fine a few versions ago and then it started popping up without anything changing there. It's all perfectly on grid and valid solids.

But yeah, fuck round things in source.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I like the lighting.. it's a sunny day, it should have a good warmth to it.
    Tried finding stuff that I could stand on (that I shouldn't), turns out some/most of the spots have been fixed.
    The second point spawn route (lower, with the truck), I think it should have more color differences to separate the two sides (team colored lower bricks?)

found these (I'm thinking it's actually working as intended on the pipes and flood light, but just in case)
    6AFC4E7AAC6A20382DB148827166B93B3FABFCB6
    CBD679A527DA87DA055D06C0C66B91D50653840D

and this one (not a clipping issue, just a pipe sticking out through the roof)
    1DF7C2A5C167A74D6FEFFAF9C75A40EEB564BFF7

There's a weird one, where the tunnel joins the fence (red, 2nd to mid) that you can stick yourself to when you keep pressure on it (rocket jump onto it, hold forward to stay in the "air"). it's not a lot of height (or I didn't manage to get a lot of height)

• Options
    The spotlight was intentional, but the pipes weren't!

I'll take a look at the team coloring for the spot you mentioned.

Not 100% on where you're talking about with the last part, though.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

It looks like he got into one of the flavour areas beyond the fence by a tunnel.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Anyone want any of these crates? Mostly likely they'll end up on the market place. Gonna keep #72 since it's gonna be a item regardless.
    4wzh81o78b47.png
    17sw6vzxfe08.png

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

It looks like he got into one of the flavour areas beyond the fence by a tunnel.

I'm actually trying to find a way into those flavor areas.. turns out Crash put up all these invisible walls to keep people inside his map (I'm going to keep trying though)

This is the spot i'm talking about... I'm the worst with the mapping names of stuff, but it's like the nodraw of the fence extends too far out and you can catch against it
    D177142A5DCBCA4F5B9310A00058B441733C760A

• Options
    Ahhh, okay. Yeah, source engine. I'll try to fix it.

Also, pro tip that is going in part two of my clipping tutorial; cl_drawclipbrushes 2 (or it might be showclipbrushes) in the console will make all my clipping visible. This is super useful for spotting exploits.

• Options
    heh, didn't even think that would be available in game (I mean, even with sv_cheats enabled), thought it was a hammer thing

This is going to make things a lot more fun

• Options
    edited July 2014
    And if you want to see a mad man's obsessive clipping insanity, try it out on Stoneyridge sometime.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    some peeps are testing to see if they can get a 126 player tf2 server to work

IP is 192.99.32.150:27015 if you're interested in helping with the test

• Options
    nevermind it got to 37 players and crashed

more tests in the future, though

• Options
    Yeah, good luck with that entity count trying to get that many people on.

Each person x (4 cosmetic items + any physics projectiles they might create, including up to 8 stickies EACH) + map entities which can commonly be in the 1000 to 1200 range.

If that number goes over 2048 the server will crash. This is built into the TF2 engine.

Gl;hf.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    everyone firing needle guns into the air seems like it would put more load on the entity count than stickies

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Needles have about a 7 second timer before the game destroys them, and the needlegun shoots them at 10 rounds/sec. So with a max of 70 needles in the air, it'd take 30 medics shooting at once to crash the server.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Challenge accepted.

• Options
    Actually it might be doable with 25-30 medics, depending on how complicated the map is. I bet trainsawlaser could crash the server with 20 medics.

Or five.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    how many entities does the flamethrower create? I vaguely remember that the flame puffs are entity-based too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Trainsawlaser_b3 had 927 entities.

Trainsawlaser_b4 had 1975 entities. (This added all the minions and milestone events. Also a hidden room with a ton of physics beach balls as an easteregg. This one crashed servers, I have noo ideea whyy.)

Trainsawlaser_b4fixed had 1769 entities. (this was my first time trying to optimize the entities)

Trainsawlaser_b6 had 1784 entities. (Added spellbooks)

Trainsawlaser_rc1 has 1374 entities. (this was from the big overhaul of the audio system)

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I accidentally opened the unreal editor through chivalry and a brief glance already made it look much, much better than hammer.

Edit: That said, chivalry, it turns out, is still an awful game. Incredibly poorly optimized, I've never seen such jutter in a game, even on the menu. And it default boots to 1051x520 or some weird resolution like that...?

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah Hammer is so far behind the times.

Unrelated, but I just made a big 'ol push to get Glassworks out there a bit more with this release! Ahh!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Glassworks has just been added to the Highlander map list on TF2Pickup.net!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    I know angrysockpuppet's thing is having the preview image and title have nothing to do with a video's content sometimes

but I really would have liked to see scout's and spy's adventures through time

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »
    Actually it might be doable with 25-30 medics, depending on how complicated the map is. I bet trainsawlaser could crash the server with 20 medics.

Or five.

Five medics, you say....

• Options
    So like, did they buff how much the amputator taunt heals at some point?

Cause it's topping off everyone I use it on other than heavies and soldiers that were really low on health. It's actually pretty damn great for getting 3+ people back in action.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    So like, did they buff how much the amputator taunt heals at some point?

Cause it's topping off everyone I use it on other than heavies and soldiers that were really low on health. It's actually pretty damn great for getting 3+ people back in action.

I like the amputator w/ the vaccinator. Since you can constantly bust out ubers, you're not really minding missing a couple of percentage points of charge, and between the vacc and the increased health regen when you switch to the amputator, you're damned hard to kill.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I won't be around for the usual Friday honc this week, you nerds want to do a Wednesday honc tomorrow in addition to Friday's. Gotta see some reactions to the new Glassworks!

• Options
    So I found one downside to using instances, displacements get all fucked up when using rotational symmetry.. it doesn't invert the x and y properly so if you make a "bulge" displacement it's a "pit" if you rotate the instance 180 degrees.

Not a huge problem in the long run as I was going to make the instances "real" at some point, but it does mean at least the next few betas will be a pain the ass to work on.

Upside is I've started work on the displacements, and when I compare what I've done to Upward's displacements, I am terrible at it.

• Options
    Gotta map like a sucker and use a big giant skip brush to rotate your shit now, bitch!
    This is what I've been doing for the entirety of Glassworks since I started working on it.

• Options
    Actually when I do a compile I'll just go to the Instances menu and select "collapse."

It's an annoying extra step but it'll work fine.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
  • Options
    We should play hydro.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like cactuscanyon just got a third stage.

Dammit Valve, stop making staged maps. No one likes them anymore.

• Options
    Honc?

Honc.

This discussion has been closed.