As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tomodachi Life] Do very, very odd things with your Miis starting June 6

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    If anyone has a spare demo code I'd love to try this. Shoot me a PM. I've started to get bored of AC:NL, wondering if this might be a good substitute.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Slowly adding my friends as miis, and occasionally having some of the funniest moments I've ever experienced in a game.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I managed to get Link and Zelda married. I'll probably play some more until they have a kid, just to see what that is like. And then most likely trade it in. I am just not clicking with this. Watching my first rap battle between Mario and Ganondorf was funny as hell. That magic can never be reclaimed now that I know it's just 2 random Mii's spouting the same rap lines. Same with stuff like the barbecue, or the quest minigame. Cute to see the first time, now I see it the Mad Libs RNG mechanic driving the game underneath, and it's killed all the fun. It's just "Watch *Mii A* and *Mii B* do *event*. I got my fill of that in the first hour and... that's all there is to the game.

What really irks me though is all these treasures I'm collecting seem to be completely useless. Among other stuff, I got an NES and R.O.B. But all you can do is pawn them for money. You can't give them as gifts. You can't even decorate your room with them! If the japanese name for the game is Tomodachi Collection, it's a perfect fit.

I really wanted to like this game, but it's just not happening. If you do and it's your cup of tea, more power to ya. But I think I'd get exactly the same level of enjoyment out of the game by simply looking at screenshots of other people playing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Add me to your game. I promise you won't regret it. If you regret it, I rescind my promise.
    10174832_828205437191964_2251813515858015135_n.jpg

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I'll be getting this tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to playing it. The direct sold me on it almost immediately and I spent the next few hours afterwards looking up QR codes of a bunch of random characters to add. Can you mass immigrate the second you start, or does it have to happen periodically where a few Miis from your plaza will move to the island each day?

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    I'll be getting this tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to playing it. The direct sold me on it almost immediately and I spent the next few hours afterwards looking up QR codes of a bunch of random characters to add. Can you mass immigrate the second you start, or does it have to happen periodically where a few Miis from your plaza will move to the island each day?

It happens pretty quickly, you make your first Mii, then a second for your Mii to play with, then the Town Hall opens up around there. That is when you can import Miis from the QR reader. If you can, and while you can import from regular Mii QRs, it is so much better to find Tomodachi Life QRs instead, that way all of the information, voices, and personalities are already included.

• Options
    Ah, okay. I may do that, then. Having to plug in information for around 50 Miis would be a lot of work to do, especially if I wanted to make them as accurate to their likenesses as possible.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This app looks kinda interesting, but 35 bucks is way too much money for such small interaction. I'm gonna wait for a decent drop or sale.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I really want this....it has to wait though. For those who bought the full version...how is it?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I really love it since I enjoy these types of games, but the meat of the game is collecting all the items and watching miis do silly things. There's not much to actually "do". I've been mostly playing at work since it's a game I can play in between customers.

It's honestly not for everyone and the complaints above are valid so if you're not sure, what for a price drop.

• Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    Has anyone experienced a break-up in this game, yet? It's ... kind of heart breaking.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I managed to get Link and Zelda married. I'll probably play some more until they have a kid, just to see what that is like. And then most likely trade it in. I am just not clicking with this. Watching my first rap battle between Mario and Ganondorf was funny as hell. That magic can never be reclaimed now that I know it's just 2 random Mii's spouting the same rap lines. Same with stuff like the barbecue, or the quest minigame. Cute to see the first time, now I see it the Mad Libs RNG mechanic driving the game underneath, and it's killed all the fun. It's just "Watch *Mii A* and *Mii B* do *event*. I got my fill of that in the first hour and... that's all there is to the game.

What really irks me though is all these treasures I'm collecting seem to be completely useless. Among other stuff, I got an NES and R.O.B. But all you can do is pawn them for money. You can't give them as gifts. You can't even decorate your room with them! If the japanese name for the game is Tomodachi Collection, it's a perfect fit.

I really wanted to like this game, but it's just not happening. If you do and it's your cup of tea, more power to ya. But I think I'd get exactly the same level of enjoyment out of the game by simply looking at screenshots of other people playing.

As much as I love it (and I love it a lot), I don't find myself finding wanting to say "do this, and you'll enjoy it!" I don't really know if the joy I'm getting out of it is repeatable, even for me if I do a new game. With the way I set it up, and the friends I chose to include in it, and the personalities I gave them, and the celebrities I added as support, and how they chose to interact... that worked out for me. And I found it brilliant, but it's probably not repeatable.

Maybe I'll have a different game, and it could even be better, but there's no formula for a minimum guaranteed amount of humor.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I don't know if any of you added my Mii, but that voice I gave him cracks me up everytime he decides to say something.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Does anyone need a demo code? I have one left.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Oh right, that reminds me: I still have two demo codes, but apparently they only work on European and Australian systems.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Oh right, that reminds me: I still have two demo codes, but apparently they only work on European and Australian systems.

@Zilla360 is looking for one. I tried to offer him mine but it's for US systems.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I really hate Nintendo's regional bullshit.

I registered both my WiiU and 3DS as being in the US, because for some stupid reason, both in retail and digital stores, WiiU games are $80USD and 3DS games are $50USD. It doesn't make any fucking sense why they can't just give us U.S. prices. I'm in Mexico btw. EA actually acknowledges this and their games are about $20 USD cheaper here than in the U.S..

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

@Zilla360 is looking for one. I tried to offer him mine but it's for US systems.
    Yeah, @Maz- I'll take one. Kind of dumb that they're region locked, it's not like there's much difference between UK and US English.

• Options
    Okay, I got this today and I really enjoy it. I may have to pace myself a little bit better with it, though, because the activities they have you do started to repeat a lot over the few hours I played it, but that to me is better than not having anything to do at all.

What really made my day was the rap battle my Miis had earlier this afternoon. It was pretty funny to see Solid Snake and Mac from Foster's Home trying to out-rhyme each other; Mac won every time so it looks like Snake needs to undergo some lyrical training if he wants to recover from his crushing defeat.

As a whole, this game seems like you have to invest in it before you get to the "meat" of it; before you start seeing drama, your Miis have to actually start interacting and hanging out. You also need to have enough Miis in your apartment before more of the island is open to you; some shops didn't open until I had 20 or so Miis in it, but it could have been some other requirement that I just happened to fulfull at the same time. There's also a "level-up" system where you can give them new toys after raising their happiness to a certain point. You can also give them phrases or songs to use, and those look pretty cool. I believe that what you put in this game is what you'll get out of it; if you actively look for the little details in it, you're likely to find yourself enjoying the game more and more. On the other hand, if you weren't interested in it before then you probably won't fall in love with it after you jump into it.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    If anyone has another US Demo code I'd love it.

Maz was kind enough to give me his...but alas, I am on the wrong side of the pond.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Sent one to @mxmarks , I should have another US code if anyone would like to use it.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Sent one to @mxmarks , I should have another US code if anyone would like to use it.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to try it. Much appreciated.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Thanks @Maz- , that code worked. :)

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Voth wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced a break-up in this game, yet? It's ... kind of heart breaking.

Yeah, Professor Layton broke up with Amy Pond. There was a montage of all the good times they had together.She got over it though.

I have a baby on the island now. They really captured what it's like to soothe a crying infant.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This game is so stupid... but the super good kind of stupid. I've just been making horrible abominations of Miis, and giving them really dumb or immature names like "Licky Tip". I did move someone in yesterday that I probably shouldn't have. All the other residents are probably going to be killed or get hooked on meth...

The personality quiz is pretty accurate too:

cJNsp1X.jpg?1

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I reviewed this just before it came out. Nintendo didn't provide much for press assets, but since you can take your own screens (as you guys have obviously figured out), that's okay. I have a bunch of my own wacky high jinks there, and I honestly prefer being able to take my own. I wish it was a system-level feature instead. =S

Two questions, though:

1) Does the full game generate demo codes? If so, how? I'd love to spread the love.

2) Any idea of there are official QR codes for any Nintendo people, like Reggie, Iwata, Miyamoto, etc.? I do have Miis for them, but I don't remember where I got them, and would rather not import them into the game if the "real" versions are out there.

It's definitely not a game for everyone, but it works well for me and my schedule. It's less needy than Animal Crossing, which puts me more at ease.

Speaking of which, don't forget that you can download official celebrity Miis. Not a huge selection at the moment, but hopefully they'll find some good ones to add on to the current roster of Christina Aguilera, Shaq, Debbie Ryan, Shaun White, and... Zendaya? Who? Okay then.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I reviewed this just before it came out. Nintendo didn't provide much for press assets, but since you can take your own screens (as you guys have obviously figured out), that's okay. I have a bunch of my own wacky high jinks there, and I honestly prefer being able to take my own. I wish it was a system-level feature instead. =S

Two questions, though:

1) Does the full game generate review codes? If so, how? I'd love to spread the love.

2) Any idea of there are official QR codes for any Nintendo people, like Reggie, Iwata, Miyamoto, etc.? I do have Miis for them, but I don't remember where I got them, and would rather not import them into the game if the "real" versions are out there.

It's definitely not a game for everyone, but it works well for me and my schedule. It's less needy than Animal Crossing, which puts me more at ease.

Speaking of which, don't forget that you can download official celebrity Miis. Not a huge selection at the moment, but hopefully they'll find some good ones to add on to the current roster of Christina Aguilera, Shaq, Debbie Ryan, Shaun White, and... Zendaya? Who? Okay then.

I am hoping that by review codes you mean the demo codes? The game itself comes with two demo codes that are only used in your region, as far as the official QR codes for Nintendo people, I do not think there has been. I know Reggie and Miyamoto tweeted what their Miis looked like in the game, but never released the QRs for them. Tumblr has alot of QR codes if you want to hunt and peck around there, and I believe there is a thread on Reddit in the Tomodachi subreddit that is all QR codes.

omega71 on
  • Options
    Yes! Sorry, fixed that, thanks. ^^;;;

Where do you get the demo codes from, then? I don't recall coming across them while playing.

As for the Miis, I do have some, but like I said, I'd love the "real" deal if they're available; since it sounds like they aren't, I'll probably go with those.

Or pester @NintendoAmerica to release some official ones with the full TL trappings. ;P

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Demo codes are in the game case. Little perforated tickets with a scratch bar for the code. Printed on higher quality glossy paper than the actual manual, which made me giggle a little.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If you got the game digitally they're with your receipt from the e-shop.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    @Maz was that one Euro code still going? My wife would love to give the game a go if so.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    @Maz-‌ rather.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Kanden wrote: »

Ah, okay; I was just about to ask that. Can you pull up the receipt later? I didn't exactly check mine over when it initially came up...

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    Are there any NA demo code floating around still? the wife wants to try it be we are hesitant to drop that kind of money. It seems a bit difficult to grasp what this game is about or how much content there is and how interactive it will be.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Ah, okay; I was just about to ask that. Can you pull up the receipt later? I didn't exactly check mine over when it initially came up...

Yeah, it's somewhere in the e-shop settings. I can't remember exactly where.

EDIT: E-Shop, Go left to Setting/Other, Scroll down to Account Activity, Find Tomadachi Life, View receipt, and then go down to the bottom, there are two codes there.

Kanden on
  • Options
    Beefjerky wrote: »
    Are there any NA demo code floating around still? the wife wants to try it be we are hesitant to drop that kind of money. It seems a bit difficult to grasp what this game is about or how much content there is and how interactive it will be.

Sent!

• Options

Yeah, it's somewhere in the e-shop settings. I can't remember exactly where.

EDIT: E-Shop, Go left to Setting/Other, Scroll down to Account Activity, Find Tomadachi Life, View receipt, and then go down to the bottom, there are two codes there.

Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    Looks like Nintendo has made the demo available to everyone:

demo-qr.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Yeah, just saw that earlier. Figures. XP

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So my Mii has decided to ask out my wife's mii.

She said yes! How awesome is that?

Turns out at the same time, Mario was wanting to ask out my wife. I quickly shot him down and told him that she was taken. He got depressed, I fed him Spaghetti and he cheered up.

So a win for everyone?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!