As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Facebook and tagging

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I'd like to avoid being tagged in, say, pictures on Facebook for a little while.

But is that actually possible?

There's a setting that allows me to approve tags before they appear on my timeline, but even if I don't approve a tag, won't everyone else still see in their feed? Like, isn't the timeline a separate thing from what people see on their 'front page', or whatever FB calls it?

Or will that option completely prevent that?

If not, is there another way to remove people's ability to tag me?

EDIT: I guess the review tag option isn't even a general one, but only for people who tag my own content? Come on, Facebook. Best way to simulate no tags is to only allow myself to see tagged postings, I guess?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• Options
    RoyalRoyal Registered User regular
    It seems like you're pretty much on the right path. The only real options are to stop what you can and remove others. There's an article that might offer some help but really it's more of the same.

At this point it's probably easier to dodge being in the photos than it is to dodge the tags.

steam_sig.png
    "What we play is life."
    - Louis Armstrong
    Those Gentlemen Gamers
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    You can remove the tag from a photo/post you've been tagged in after the fact, but I don't think there's any way to prevent yourself from being tagged in the first place.

https://www.facebook.com/help/www/140906109319589

And since that help doesn't actually match with what I see, when you're looking at a photo, you select the Options menu at the bottom and Report/Remove Tag, and then check "I want to untag myself" and then click Continue.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Why do you want to avoid it? You may just want to say to your friends "hey, don't tag me".

• Options
    Not really the issue.

Daenris, yeah, it's not really a problem to remove them, if you want. But thanks.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    yes there is a setting where any tag in a photo or post requires your approval first, I have it on my Facebook account

I cannot recall where you find this setting with the new layout, but it definitely works - I think it's called a Timeline Review or something

the photo will still appear, but your tag won't until you approve it, and anyone subsequently trying to tag you in that same photo will again require your approval before it appears

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Yeah, I think that's the "Review tags people add to your own posts before the tags appear on Facebook?" option, which I initially thought was awesome, but only applies to your own posts.

I've set this option to 'only me' for now:

"When you’re tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience if they aren’t already in it?"

Which seems to be the best/only real option.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Weird. For me it applies to everything my friends try to tag me in. So if they upload a photo and tag me in it, I have to approve that tag.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something and someone has already mentioned this, but I have a setting switched on which, although it doesn't quite remove tags, it limits them a fair bit.

Let's say my friend Jamie tags me in a bunch of pictures.

Only Jamie's friends will be able to see that I've been tagged. Anyone else who goes to look at pictures of me (as long as they're not friends with Jamie) will not see those pictures..

I have no idea what the setting is called as my facebook is not in English.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Royal wrote: »
    At this point it's probably easier to dodge being in the photos than it is to dodge the tags.

This. Even if you can untag every photo of yourself, it's only a matter of time until facial recognition is good enough for people to search you in photos even when they're untagged. If there are photos of you that you don't want people to find, ask your friends to just remove them completely.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Royal wrote: »

This. Even if you can untag every photo of yourself, it's only a matter of time until facial recognition is good enough for people to search you in photos even when they're untagged. If there are photos of you that you don't want people to find, ask your friends to just remove them completely.

I don't know about the OP, but personally I'm not worried so much about a company face-scanning me over the internet as I am about, say, my mom insisting on posting baby pictures of me and tagging them. And I've tried talking to my mom, it doesn't work. Some issues with other friend and family tagging shitty pictures of me, and in the end I just wind up having to go behind everybody and untag myself, basically policing my profile. It's annoying, and I'd really prefer to just disable tagging altogether. But from what I can tell, the only solution is just not being on Facebook. Which isn't really a solution at all (because if I didn't want to be on Facebook at all, I...wouldn't be, and there'd be no issue).

• Options
    That's not really my issue, but yeah, same problem essentially. The 'only I/others tagged can see tagged posts' option seems decent enough for now.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I don't know about the OP, but personally I'm not worried so much about a company face-scanning me over the internet as I am about, say, my mom insisting on posting baby pictures of me and tagging them. And I've tried talking to my mom, it doesn't work. Some issues with other friend and family tagging shitty pictures of me, and in the end I just wind up having to go behind everybody and untag myself, basically policing my profile. It's annoying, and I'd really prefer to just disable tagging altogether. But from what I can tell, the only solution is just not being on Facebook. Which isn't really a solution at all (because if I didn't want to be on Facebook at all, I...wouldn't be, and there'd be no issue).

Actually, not being on facebook isn't even a solution, because people can add tags with names of non-Facebook users. I'm not sure whether those are searchable at present by the end-users, but it's still data being stored if people really want to tag you.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    That's not really my issue, but yeah, same problem essentially. The 'only I/others tagged can see tagged posts' option seems decent enough for now.

What is your issue?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »

What is your issue?

I think that's the issue? If it weren't a problem, he wouldn't have to be so vague about it on a public, Google-searchable forum.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Yeah, it's nothing terribly exciting or scandalous in any way, just a matter of work place/job type, basically.