As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh also the USA is French

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    HELL yes! That's the best EU4 change I've seen since the RNW revamp and the first thing to tempt me to get back into the game since I abandoned it around the Mare Nostrum days.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Yeah, that looks sexy. When does that release?

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I finally managed to finish my First Come First Serve Run (start as a custom Western nation in America, control both continents).

I had some problems with my first few runs as it turned out the game wasn't recognising me as valid for the achievement. No idea why, re-ordered my NIs, then was fine for the achievement.

My capital (OPM) was in Chortli, which is the province to the south of Kiche in Central America. Conquered my way through the central americans, though at times it could be a little touch and go until I took control of enough gold mines to afford a decent army. I tried to colonise the Caribbean as quickly as possible, but otherwise I let the colonial powers do most of the heavy lifting for me - the various colonial powers never defended any of their colonies.

I was playing as Norse so I hoped to get the For Odin achievement, but I was mostly too focused on conquering the new world. When I gave up (~1780s) I had all the British Isles, but unfortunately Denmark had had a good run and formed a super powerful Scandinavia. I still managed to get the From Rags to Riches and Multicultural achievements as well so I was pretty pleased.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    HELL yes! That's the best EU4 change I've seen since the RNW revamp and the first thing to tempt me to get back into the game since I abandoned it around the Mare Nostrum days.

Damn, between the Civ 6 expansion and this that is a few months of game time lost.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Hmm, reading the thread, it sounds like there's a "standard" set of mission trees that every single country would get. Region-based missions get added to all the countries within those regions, and then finally all the country-specific regions go on top of those.

That will probably get pretty repetitive after a game or two since I usually don't play as the big countries that have tons of unique missions. It'll be a good time for a first Purple Phoenix try, but otherwise I'm a bit less excited than after initial impressions.

I think this is going to take a lot more patches to really become something grand (religion-specific trees, government-specific trees, culture-specific trees, and more to add lots of variance through the world, especially if playing in the Random New World which is probably going to have next to nothing beyond the generics).

Still better than the old system, but less of a paradigm shifter for most countries than it looked at first.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Feels more like it's laying the groundwork for improvement.

I'm rather skeptical of that screenshot showing all the Balkans being Byzantine by 1449 by the way :P

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Feels more like it's laying the groundwork for improvement.

I agree. Plus the current non-country specific missions are very generic anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Made a couple of attempts with Ceylon for the Buddhists strike back achievement last night. Could generally gobble up the south Indian minors (though with some issues with rebellions that were bigger than my army cap).

Main problem was Vijayanagar as they kept utterly demolishing Bahmanis

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If it's uneven one country likely unlocked Mil Tech 4 before the other

Florryworry had an utterly soul-crushing experience with claiming the Mandate on his stream yesterday and he said he doesn't know if it's "even possible to WC with the stupid Mandate" (what he means is that it's too annoying for any sane person to go through)

I'm still a dreamer but it's nice to see other people share my frustrations

• Options
    Wowie, playing as someone in Northern Italy is a great way to force you to learn how to deal with Aggressive Expansion and to be patient. After my second coalition war I started again. The Ambrosian Republic is pretty cool though, having consistent rulers is nice.

I did just take the rest of mainland Venice off them and Switzerland and Ferrara have joined a coalition, so I think I'm going to punch them now before it gets any larger and finish conquering Northern Italy. Then I can ditch Castille and prepare to take Naples.

• Options
    In hindsight joining the Catholic League was a bad idea. Now I have to reconquer Savoy

Also dagnabbit stop randomly converting my northern provinces it's 1617.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Best way to play an Italian or German minor is probably to get out of Europe ASAP

Also I really need to investigate if they fiddled with the AE rules at some point, it seems much higher than before

I finished the "Sons of Carthage" around 1500 and AE was mostly the limiting factor. What was surprising was that I called in the Ottomans by promising them land from Naples aaaand they didn't want it in the peace deal. Funny that's still a thing. They broke the alliance afterwards, otherwise I would've used them to tank coalitions.

Platy on
  • Options
    By 1720 I have united Italy and gotten a couple of Balkan client states. Then I decide to trigger the revolution.

And then:

jyseksvg8kcf.jpg

Yes I think I'm going Revolutionary Byzantium next time.

Meanwhile Dev Diary: The Anglican Reformation and Industrialization

• Options
    I probably would have gotten more, but I decided to spend twenty years on the Carthago Delenda Est achievement and the one where you build 500 heavy ships

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

So it looks like the next plc will be about the British Isles.

Either that, or Jake has dedicated an entire DLC to troll about Vicky 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    83k is more money in the bank than I ever had!

I don't like Anglicanism, development modifiers get super-problematic if you stack them and +2% Missionary Strength against Heretics seems like a bad match considering how tenacious Catholicism was in the British Isles

• Options
    83k is more money in the bank than I ever had!

I don't like Anglicanism, development modifiers get super-problematic if you stack them and +2% Missionary Strength against Heretics seems like a bad match considering how tenacious Catholicism was in the British Isles

They mention later in the thread that Anglican is going to be tied to another yet-mentioned feature, so their might be a redeeming feature to it yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    So I thought I'd have a crack at Nahuatl Caddo. Took a long time to get the war with the Mesoamericans to go well, but eventually I get the province and convert. Now, where's the doom counter...

What's that? Doom is in a DLC I don't have? Oh...

If I bought the DLC would it be applied to a save retroactively, or do I have to start again?

(I wish youtube videos shilling this took the time to explain this)

EDIT: Turns out it does! Playing on not iron man has its uses!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Oh dear. Bankruptcy in 1520, just as I reformed Nahuatl. :(

Compounding problems: There are very few OPMs that are truly alone in North America. Most have at least one ally and are often in a federation of three or four. I was able to maybe attack three people when migrating to Mexico.

Therefore when I'm nabbing vassals for Nahuatl to reform, at best it's a siege race, while often they can bunch up on me (my vassals hate me obviously because I conquered them) and even if I win the resulting battle the manpower costs are high.

And manpower takes ages to recover, so if I want to keep going I have to take out some mercenaries. Which means loans, and after Aztec jumped on me that started a sort of death spiral. Even when I got the free colonist there was no way I could affort it.

It also doesn't help that every time I release the vassals during the reform my force limit drops to six which even without mercs is a hefty drain.

Building over force limit would be fine if I could be conquering non-stop, but I can't. because everyone's in an alliance/federation. Is Caddo actually viable or what mistake have I been making?

• Options
    It might be easier to first play a game as the Aztecs so you have the mechanics down, the Caddo strategy mostly revolves around cheesing those mechanics

If you force limit drops to six, you don't have enough provinces - you should keep enough of a powerbase to defeat multiple of your neighbors

If you wanna play as the Aztecs, you might want too look up their events which won't fire until you expand to a certain size

• Options
    It might be easier to first play a game as the Aztecs so you have the mechanics down, the Caddo strategy mostly revolves around cheesing those mechanics

If you force limit drops to six, you don't have enough provinces - you should keep enough of a powerbase to defeat multiple of your neighbors

If you wanna play as the Aztecs, you might want too look up their events which won't fire until you expand to a certain size

I was keeping my province size to a minimum because of Doom. And fortunately the highest I ever got there was 60. So you think I may have gone too far in reigning it in?

• Options

I was keeping my province size to a minimum because of Doom. And fortunately the highest I ever got there was 60. So you think I may have gone too far in reigning it in?

Probably. When I played Aztecs I usually added a province or two after every reform, since how much Doom per month you get per territory decreases each time. Plus shrinking my neighbors like that makes follow-up wars easier, especially when I take the ones with gold on them.

Also, since speeding through reforms to be ready for when Europe shows up is so important, you're going to burn off a lot of Doom from the constant Flower Wars as well (which is also why War Exhaustion and Army Discipline should be your first two reforms)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    My Aztec game remains the most fun I've had in EU4, honestly. Doom was only a problem for me once, and I took a fair bit of land from the other Aztec nations, but when it became a problem I just sacrificed the ruler of a vassal. It's not like they were going to like me after I did my reform anyway. Also I had no idea about events being tied to the size of your nation, I should see what that was all about just out of curiosity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I gave Austria a go, and holy crap I lucked out.

-Successfully did the "PU Bohemia by 1447" trick
    -Got the Hungarian PU for free
    -Consistently got my dynasty on the Polish (and later Commonwealth) throne
    -Reined in Northern Italy
    -Castile got a Hapsburg on the throne (after 60 years Jesus), successfully warred for the Throne
    -Revoked the Privilege, took great pleasure in swarming the Ottomans
    -Bohemia's now a vassal, not a PU, so I've a free slot. What's that Sweden, you want an alliance? Okay, throw in a Royal marriage for good measure and- holy crap I just PU'd them six months later without trying.
    -And just after a quick war with France, Hapsburg on the English throne. That's worth a Truce Break to acquire, methinks.

So I kinda run most of Europe now, save the rump of the shattered French and Portugal, and the recently hereditary'd Commonwealth, but that's a matter of time. Time to start Absolutism farming.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    *Reads up on Innovation in Rule Britannia*

The idea sounds interesting, but unless I'm misunderstanding something the execution seems counter intuitive and at the mercy of random fate. Build up innovation by being the first to a new tech level/idea. But for tech in particular it costs more monarch points to invest ahead of time, and some AI nations are happy to tech up five or six years ahead of time (glares at France). So you're spending more points now so that point costs will be cheaper in the future. Again, the base concept is interesting but by the time you max it out it feels like the benefits aren't worth it. Also you need to be able to afford large point investments to get it, so the nations who already have an advantage in point creation are most likely to get this benefit. How can smaller nations justify the investment when they might need it for development or stability?

Still, I'm hoping for some good NIs in Ireland before I try for Luck of the Irish.

EDIT: Also yeah, Coal/Industrialization is a pretty flavourful mechanic, but if money is the only thing it produces there's not much point, as it's super easy to be drowning in cash by the time it comes online.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    It's advertised as a mechanic for tall nations but tall nations don't need more MP

Desmond and that other minor already have fantastic ideas btw, some of the best in Europe

• Options
    It's advertised as a mechanic for tall nations but tall nations don't need more MP

Desmond and that other minor already have fantastic ideas btw, some of the best in Europe

True, but it would be nice if the Generic Irish ideas got a buff.

• Options
    The generic Irish Ideas aren't that bad either, -10% Shock Damage comes as your first unlocked idea at a time when battles are decided by shock damage

And -2 National Unrest is very good, diplo rep also got a huge buff with the new alliance mechanics

Trade steering/trade efficiency are commonly underestimated modifiers

In the RotW it would be an A-tier idea set, of course European idea sets are generally stronger and more focused

• Options
    edited February 2018
    The generic Irish Ideas aren't that bad either, -10% Shock Damage comes as your first unlocked idea at a time when battles are decided by shock damage

And -2 National Unrest is very good, diplo rep also got a huge buff with the new alliance mechanics

Trade steering/trade efficiency are commonly underestimated modifiers

In the RotW it would be an A-tier idea set, of course European idea sets are generally stronger and more focused

Yeah, but Papal Influence is situational and Support Rebels feels like a waste of space.

I did like the teasing that Cornwall and the Lord of the Isles have good ideas. Might have to check those out.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    I came across this list of rulers and their stats on the EU4 wiki.

Current distraction is looking at all the real wiki pages of the rulers of the famed 0-0-0 stat line. Generally heard about the great people of history, but very rarely about the absolute losers.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So I'm finally playing another EU game, finally got Mandate of Heaven and also picked up Cradle of Civilization. (I've played two games as Novgorod all the way through to 1821 and three as Muscovy so I ain't really super interested in playing through them again with a handful of new mechanics. So no Third Rome.)

Decided to play as the tiny buddhist (mahayana even!) nation at the top of the Phillipines, Pangasinan. Only notable thing is their very unique religion (only sharing it with Dai Viet) and that they are a tributary to the Ming. Goals are, in no particular order:
    1. Unite the Philippines.
    2. Form Malaya and conquer the whole of the East Indies.
    3. Push the Europeans completely out of Asia and Africa.
    4. Become Emperor of China.
    5. Get at least five colonial nations in the Americas.

So far going pretty well. Facing numerical superiority but using both terrain and naval tricks I've managed to take about half of the Phillipines and I've started colonizing. Allied with Brunei for the time being.

• Options
    Ming will cancel the tributary agreement at a certain point and then you might have to fight a coalition which includes Ming depending on how you spread your AE - that's probably the main thing to watch out for.

EoC is a bit of a pain, I would make a copy of the save before you take it.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    ironman brah. always ironman

• Options
    Playing as Oda to unite Japan was good fun. These NIs are sick.

Basically hoovering up Manchuria and hoping to colonise a choke point to keep Russia from the Pacific. Humiliated Ming a couple of times (honest to god mingplosion going on, and I didn't cause it!), also good. The take Mandate CB is great if you don't want to take the Mandate.

Humanist or Religious ideas? I figure being the only Shinto country buffs Deus Vult quite a bit. (I did a separate save to get Kirishtian Japan)

• Options
    edited February 2018
    If you have Take Mandate/Unify China, I would take Humanist because that's plenty of dev you'll get without paying dip

But Religious is always more fun because it lets you paint maps

Platy on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Saw Black Panther, kind of want to try an African start. Are they easier or harder than native Americans?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Saw Black Panther, kind of want to try an African start. Are they easier or harder than native Americans?

Ethiopia is comically powerful and can easily dominate the continent and do whatever the hell it wants. West Africa has some great land but there might be some touch and go wars with Castille/Spain at some point. The South(ish) African minors like Luba and what not are probably pretty hard but I have never tried them.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Africans can build boats from day 1 and don't have to wait for European AI