Options

fak u [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Lets see if I remember my console wars canon.

The Genesis had separate FM synthesis and sound effects chip. The sfx chip was the same as the Master System and was kind of shitty.

Meanwhile, the SNES had a single 16-bit digital signal processor for all audio.

The sound effects tended to be worse than SNES in general. Compare the Street Fighter editions on both consoles for a good example.

However, dedicated titles that properly used the FM synth chip could have fantastic music. Example: all first party titles with music by Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage series, Shinobi series).

TLDR: Sega Genesis had good music hardware but shitty SFX hardware, and not all developers utilized the music hardware properly.

The Genesis music hardware was a pretty legendary Yamaha synth with a really distinctive, crisp sound, but not a hell of a lot of flexibility. The SNES sound processor was made by Sony and at the time was considered pretty revolutionary. It couldn't produce the the fidelity the genesis could, so no crisp drums, no gritty fat basslines, but what it could do was sample circles around anything else from that era. The SNES's SPC chip always sounded a little soft, but it had the range to pull out convincing vocals, higher quality strings than you'd ever heard before from a game console, and pump tons of channels at once. So the Genesis sounded like a really sweet Yamaha synth which was cool and all, but it meant every title was samey and the SFX were lame. The SNES was pumping out orchestral jams with reverb and chorus effects, switching to rock and roll, steel drums, banjo, ragtime piano, ambient noise tracks, everything.

Thanks, DK! That basically corroborated everything I thought about it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wasteland, bro.

That and Mars Saga. (But mostly Wasteland).

Persistent, open-world RPGs on floppy disk.

Wasteland on C64 was the first game I had that "oh shit it's been six hours? where did the time go?" response.

When other kids were playing Legend of Zelda and stabbing Octorocks, I was shooting desert dwellers with assault rifles and turning them into fine red mist.

bottom paged

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I try to represent for the great PC games because nobody ever fucking talks about them and it drives me nuts

"gamer culture" is all about the zeldas and the metroids and I wasn't playing that stuff and goddamn it there are so many good games that do not deserve to be forgotten

fuckin' everything Origin Systems ever put out

fuckin' Star Control

fuckin' Mechwarrior

and of course this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCGZFQZkdc

Wasteland, bro.

That and Mars Saga. (But mostly Wasteland).

Persistent, open-world RPGs on floppy disk.

Wasteland on C64 was the first game I had that "oh shit it's been six hours? where did the time go?" response.

When other kids were playing Legend of Zelda and stabbing Octorocks, I was shooting desert dwellers with assault rifles and turning them into fine red mist.

for many years my internet avatar was the "New Waver" gang member in the mesh shirt

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    the NES port of Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar (which they called Ultima 2 on the NES) had some really good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zIvKv70SM

I never played IV on SNES (I had it on Apple II) but I remember the Ultima: Exodus NES music being really good in a Final Fantasy kind of way.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I know that with a Roland sound board they sound better, but I will always like the SoundBlaster version of the Wing Commander music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1rJEnjH-Q&list=PLdpDkMLveg911RJGyd7mvQW0FWMUluA69

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Classic NES symbology works for me as general signifiers of the 80s video game generation, even though I did not personally own an NES.

That and Pac-Man.

I had Pac-Man. I enjoyed Pac-Man. But I wasn't a fanatic about it.

But I don't care. Pac-Man is a general-purpose signifier for early-1980s video gaming.

What I'm saying is

prettyprettyprincess.jpg

• Options
    I know that with a Roland sound board they sound better, but I will always like the SoundBlaster version of the Wing Commander music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1rJEnjH-Q&list=PLdpDkMLveg911RJGyd7mvQW0FWMUluA69

where did you find that? I couldn't find anything but the WC movie soundtrack for love or money.

Wing Commander 1 is still my gold standard for video game soundtracks and dynamic music handling in general. Getting shot up till your ship was in the red, charing a Fralthi and launching all your missiles at its engine ports, splashing it, and then heading home - the soundtrack accompanied all that perfectly.

• Options

where did you find that? I couldn't find anything but the WC movie soundtrack for love or money.

Wing Commander 1 is still my gold standard for video game soundtracks and dynamic music handling in general. Getting shot up till your ship was in the red, charing a Fralthi and launching all your missiles at its engine ports, splashing it, and then heading home - the soundtrack accompanied all that perfectly.

searched youtube for "wing commander 2 soundblaster"

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Winky: this was my fave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVAzxhh_cB8

edit: no wait, wrong one. I liked that level, but this was my favorite music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVY7nvcel0

Feral on

• Options
    I like to imagine where games would be today if more children of the 90s had spent their time turning desert mutants into red mist

I am not trying to hate on classic console stuff because I do love a lot of those games very much but one of my least favorite parts of gamer culture is enforced tweeness

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I don't really care for the Genesis' brand of beep-boops so some Sonic tracks fall flat for me but there's a lot of good stuff and at least one track that is good despite the beep-boops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaBxXCH9b8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuJfhEeCe8

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Aw shit I ain't never played Ristar, those are some ballin' tunes!

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    I have never heard of Ristar but that is some sugar-rush zany platformer music right there

I dig

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

fuck

yes

I still can't believe I was able, as a ten year old boy, to buy and play a game about being a sniper who goes around murdering people and banging chix to regain health

• Options
    edited April 2014
    it's rather more recent, but in the excellent side scrolling shootemup (like Gradius or R-Type) "Jets n' Guns" (which was recently added to steam) there is a level where you have to blow the shit out of a concert being given by the band who did the soundtrack for the game while they are playing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26-TIlJ1bB8

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hilariously enough visits to a kid with a PC's house were always a coveted prize to be had in school for me

When I was 5 or 6 playing Putt-Putt seemed a lot more fun and engaging than running around and stomping Goombas

And that one sweet taste of Doom on a friend's older brother's computer when I was 7, those were good times

When I was 12 another friend's dad was the one to show me Duke Nukem 3-D and that was something else

PC games were a precious thing to be had only occasionally when I was growing up

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

fuck

yes

I still can't believe I was able, as a ten year old boy, to buy and play a game about being a sniper who goes around murdering people and banging chix to regain health

Yeah. I mean it's one of the more "WTF" licensing decisions for the NES. It was great. It was like I was playing a Bond film. Sniping like Dalton. Shooting dudes like Connery, macking on the ladies like Moore.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I try to represent for the great PC games because nobody ever fucking talks about them and it drives me nuts

"gamer culture" is all about the zeldas and the metroids and I wasn't playing that stuff and goddamn it there are so many good games that do not deserve to be forgotten

fuckin' everything Origin Systems ever put out

fuckin' Star Control

fuckin' Mechwarrior

and of course this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCGZFQZkdc

dis game

so good

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I have never heard of Ristar but that is some sugar-rush zany platformer music right there

I dig

The game encapsulates basically everything good about the Genesis, and it is my ideal classic game.

Amazing soundtrack, beautiful spritework, imaginative environments, and a really clever and unique platforming mechanic.

EDIT: Replaced with a better video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpVS2EFX-hA

Winky on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Jacob, have you had a chance to see Red Cliff?

No, it came out when I wasn't watching many movies. I am going to try to catch it soon because it sounds great.

Yeah. It's basically Dynasty Warriors the movie. They gave John Woo a ton of money and just let him go. It will teach you important lessons like Chinese Generals generally didn't bring weapons to a battle because the enemy would bring plenty and you can just take them.

that part is actually in the books. The Wu were running low on arrows so Liu Bei got tasked with getting more. He put a bunch of straw bales onto boats and went within range of the Wei armada who opened fire. Then he brought the ships back and pulled the arrows out of the straw.

That scene was beautiful

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    no love for guile theme ;_;

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options

I dig

It was actually just a really good game too, one of the best platformers ever.

• Options

fuck

yes

Yeah. I mean it's one of the more "WTF" licensing decisions for the NES. It was great. It was like I was playing a Bond film. Sniping like Dalton. Shooting dudes like Connery, macking on the ladies like Moore.

Getting lost in a maze like elderly Connery.

• Options
    Hilariously enough visits to a kid with a PC's house were always a coveted prize to be had in school for me

When I was 5 or 6 playing Putt-Putt seemed a lot more fun and engaging than running around and stomping Goombas

And that one sweet taste of Doom on a friend's older brother's computer when I was 7, those were good times

When I was 12 another friend's dad was the one to show me Duke Nukem 3-D and that was something else

PC games were a precious thing to be had only occasionally when I was growing up

We would sit huddled around a PC taking turns playing Scorched Earth. Over time house rules regarding the use of Death's Heads developed. Later on MIRVs once I started getting good enough to get the occasional "I go first, you all die" rounds.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool is making me watch a western

*weeps quietly, afraid of what this might awaken*

• Options
    If anyone played Ys 3 (or digs video game chipset music) check this out. It's one track from the game, but every iteration of it across every platform it was released on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLofIoqHRck

• Options
    Plok had some good tunes especially for some developer that never really put out anything especially remarkable before or since, not counting ports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzKqZg0Z7w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57NWE-2uXY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqDdgRaG8pg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMEgAk2WPo

• Options

I dig

Ristar was a very good sleeper on Genesis. It deserved a lot more attention than it got.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Feelin' a bit depressed atm, but this vintage video game music is cheering me up somewhat. Good job chat.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Here's one of the best boss themes in a game ever. Made better by the epic nature of the fight itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSmSHeFh50

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

Some masculinity?

• Options
    I like to imagine where games would be today if more children of the 90s had spent their time turning desert mutants into red mist

I am not trying to hate on classic console stuff because I do love a lot of those games very much but one of my least favorite parts of gamer culture is enforced tweeness

on the other hand, we have a lot of aggressive grittiness, and much of that came from the Quake-Daikatana era

• Options

@spool32‌ you are doing God's work. show chu no mercy.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Did somebody say western?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNbY5RQ9Wg

Edit - That was the Sega CD version, here's the Genesis version. Which is catchier in some ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2jkmFFcck

Henroid on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

does it involve clint eastwood and Sergio leone?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.