As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Pushing The Envelope

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Pushing The Envelope

Pushing The Envelope

Pushing The Envelope

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/04/23

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    A good one to skip. These plebes probably would have chosen Garfield over Heathcliff.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Everyone knows Heathcliff is the superior cat.

Garfield is a dick.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    No, wait: I change my vote.

To Puss-In-Boots

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I guess the Dungeon Mistress series is over?

It didn't really end.

• Options
    Sonic_mnaSonic_mna Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    I'll throw a vote for Tygra.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    dat angry lump

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The comic title reminds me of The Last of Us
    Ellie wrote:
    You can push the envelope, but it'll always be stationery.

• Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's weird to see the PAX comic so long after PAX ended...

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    It's weird to see the PAX comic so long after PAX ended...

0.o

It's the first non-dungeon mistress comic since PAX east.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This is remarkably well timed because recently I just launched my new webcomic, Garfield Can't Talk, which is just Garfield but with the cat's speech removed because cats can't talk.

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    It's a great feeling having been there and taken part in a very small part in creating this comic and actually getting the in-jokes :)

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I vaguely recall a site with a similar concept to yours, except instead of just removing Garfield's thought bubbles the contributors redrew drew the strips in their own style.

homogenized on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I vaguely recall a site with a similar concept to yours, except instead of just removing Garfield's thought bubbles the contributors redrew drew the strips in their own style.
    Garfield Minus Garfield

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Is Thomas Kemper orange?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    ...which is just Garfield but with the cat's speech removed because cats can't talk.
    I pray this is sarcasm since removing Garfield's speech bubbles predates Garfield Minus Garfield.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Is Thomas Kemper orange?

He's more yellowish.

And yes, both the "Garfield without Garfield" and "Garfield without any of Garfield's thoughts/dialogue" things have been done years ago.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I guess the Dungeon Mistress series is over?

It didn't really end.
    That series depended a lot on the associated newsposts. The comic was more like highlights from the campaign the newsposts detailed. So the comic showed the end of the campaign, but it might not have been immediately discernible as the end if you didn't read the newspost.

• Options
    StuntspikeStuntspike Don Juan De La Nooch In the midstRegistered User regular
    Kinda sad and stuff that Jerry's growth didn't have a hotlink in it. That might be to Strongbad-esque for you though.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    I don't get it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Context: This is the PAX East create-a-strip comic. Instead of the standard Q&A where the audience lines up and asks questions while Mike draws, the questions were submitted prior to PAX East and organized by Khoo. In theory, white envelopes were supposed to be the softer questions whereas red envelopes were more personal or controversial questions. In practice, it showed that Khoo and the guys had very differing opinions on what questions merited a white or red envelope.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Are we sure that Khoo wasn't just trolling them? It seems very in-character for him.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Kinda glad they've chosen this format. The Q&As have gotten entirely out of hand in recent years with every other "question" revealing itself to be a terrible sketch comedy audition. To be fair, some are actually pretty funny, but I remember missing my chance to ask a genuine question by 1 position in line because someone had to do a shtick.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Whoops double post. Sorry.

DCAarmus on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Garfield Minus Garfield
    This is hilarious. So many strips of schizophrenic Jon Arbuckle talking to himself.

• Options
    jeremy28648822jeremy28648822 Registered User new member
    Gotta be Crazy Claws. Any cartoon character that does a good Groucho Marx is aces in my book.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    ...which is just Garfield but with the cat's speech removed because cats can't talk.
    I pray this is sarcasm since removing Garfield's speech bubbles predates Garfield Minus Garfield.
    Yes, and actually back in 2006/7 is when I first started the whole "remove Garfield's thought bubbles" (which is about when others started doing it too). I just never posted those online (although I still have a bunch on my hard drive if you'd like them). It took me until 2014 to get around to actually making a website for it.

• Options
    HearthsingerHearthsinger Actor/Writer NYCRegistered User regular
    It was interesting watching the Q&A and thinking about what Khoo considers a "personal" or difficult question. It was sort of an unexpected character analysis. Personal questions (which don't seem to phase Mike or Jerry usually and seemed easy for them) were in red envelopes, whereas the white envelopes contained questions like "What's the worst thing you've ever said to each other?" Khoo is pretty blunt and to the point, so that kind of stuff might not incite as much anxiety for him.

Anywho. I thought the Q&A was great over all :) And I had completely forgotten about our craven lump shaming until I saw the comic today and died laughing. Oooh man. ...He really should have that checked out! HA!

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hobbes, no contest.

Why'd everyone assume it was just Garfield (ugh) versus Heathcliff (double ugh)?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I challenge the notion that Heathcliff is double ugh if Garfield is just ugh.

Unless the single ugh means that Garfield can't even drum up enough interest to hate him enough for a second ugh.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Enlong wrote: »

Unless the single ugh means that Garfield can't even drum up enough interest to hate him enough for a second ugh.

Heathcliff was basically a dog trapped in a cat's body. Garfield was just a typical lazy-ass cat. Heathcliff might be more interesting, but based on his character traits, he was a dog that the cartoonist mistakenly drew as a cat, and is disqualified from the proceedings.

Garfield just sucks. But he's at least a cat. And his owner was more interesting than the mummified corpses who owned Heathcliff, if only because of Garfield Minus Garfield. Would you read Heathcliff Minus Heathcliff? I thought not.

Hobbes walks away with this category, is the point.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    NukeninNukenin Registered User new member
    No love for Bill the Cat? Thbbft!

Hobbes was a tiger. I'm not sure he'd count.

• Options
    I am pretty sure that tigers are cats!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Depends if by "cat" you mean the species Felis silvestris catus, the genus Felis, or the family Felidae; only the third definition would include tigers.

*Pushes glasses up nose, closes Wikipedia tabs*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Hobbes is a stuffed animal. He'd ace the "cartoon imaginary cat" category though.

• Options
    sinkingmistsinkingmist Registered User new member
    I'm most certainly not a doctor, but might Jerry's lump be some type of cyst?
    Say, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Hobbes is a stuffed animal.

Depends on who you ask. In-comic and out.
    Enlong wrote: »

Heathcliff was basically a dog trapped in a cat's body. Garfield was just a typical lazy-ass cat. Heathcliff might be more interesting, but based on his character traits, he was a dog that the cartoonist mistakenly drew as a cat, and is disqualified from the proceedings.

Garfield just sucks. But he's at least a cat. And his owner was more interesting than the mummified corpses who owned Heathcliff, if only because of Garfield Minus Garfield. Would you read Heathcliff Minus Heathcliff? I thought not.

Hobbes walks away with this category, is the point.

Not sure if I'd read Heathcliff Minus Heathcliff. Mostly because I'm not sure if that could make Heathcliff more surreal than it already tends to be.

• Options
    Jerry's bump could also be a ganglion cyst. I know someone who has two of them in his forearm. He's consulted doctors several times about removing them, but as long as they're not growing or causing pain, they've advised him to leave them be. There's also a very strong chance that they'll grow back after removed. Thus, Jerry is right to "love his lump".

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Depends if by "cat" you mean the species Felis silvestris catus, the genus Felis, or the family Felidae; only the third definition would include tigers.

*Pushes glasses up nose, closes Wikipedia tabs*

*Closes Youtube tab, drops the mic*

Zoku Gojira on