As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AirBNB Experiences: You Got'em? We Want'em

BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party?Registered User regular
Hey everyone. I'm seeing this develop on the Prime forum, but I could see this being useful information for anyone attending a PAX. If you have useful / insightful experiences with the AirBNB service, I'm sure other forum goers would like to hear them.

I only have booking experience, as I'm using the service mostly blind. The site has been super easy to navigate and payment for an apartment in downtown Seattle was painless. Most owners I talked to were quite polite and responded to any of my requests in a timely fashion. I just hope check-in and check-out go smoothly!

Now u.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I've stayed in 4 different places in Seattle over the past 2 years for PAX (okay, 3 places, one was in Port Angeles) and have nothing but good things to say about the service. General rules apply - do your due diligence by reading up on the person's profile, see if they have/allow pets if you're allergic, look at their average response times and time to respond, etc.

Check-in for me at every place was usually a "whenever I finally made it there" sort of deal. 3 of the 4 places my wife and I arrived when the owners weren't around, but there was either a door code or hidden key that they placed out for me and texted the location to me. I'll be happy to answer any other questions that I can, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head while F5-ing the Prime registration page.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    I've stayed in 4 different places in Seattle over the past 2 years for PAX (okay, 3 places, one was in Port Angeles) and have nothing but good things to say about the service.

Did you ever try to repeat the same place (since you had a good experience with them previously)?

"Perception is reality." -unknown
    Headhunter wrote: »
    Did you ever try to repeat the same place (since you had a good experience with them previously)?
    I tried to for one of them, but the place was already rented out. The main reason I haven't though is because I like staying in different parts of Seattle. Being within walking distance of Bakery Nouveau one year, and Alki Beach the next is appealing to me. I also really liked the North Queen Anne neighborhood when I stayed there. If the North Queen Anne place I like is available this year, I will definitely stay there again.

Pins for trade!
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Headhunter wrote: »
    I tried to for one of them, but the place was already rented out. The main reason I haven't though is because I like staying in different parts of Seattle. Being within walking distance of Bakery Nouveau one year, and Alki Beach the next is appealing to me. I also really liked the North Queen Anne neighborhood when I stayed there. If the North Queen Anne place I like is available this year, I will definitely stay there again.

It may seem like an odd thing, but I really enjoy how good the bakeries/cafes are in Seattle. Mmm, croissant omelette sandwich...

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    As with Hingo, I have had nothing but good experiences with AirBnB. The only bad thing is that it is becoming more and more popular so it is harder to find a place to stay!

I have used AirBnB for both PAX and Emerald City Comic Con for the last 3 years and loved each place. Getting the same place is hard because of the popularity of it now too.

Wait now that I'm thinking about it ignore everything that Hingo and myself have said about AirBnB it's bad! You don't want to make reservations that way... >:)

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • VirlomiVirlomi Registered User new member
    I have had really great experiences with AirBnB. We rented an apartment in Seattle for two months and had no problems at all. The hosts were amazing and the place we stayed at was really nice and very clean.

• BankruptsteveBankruptsteve Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm a host on Airbnb who lives three blocks from the convention center so this is a bit self serving, but Airbnb is a pretty awesome site. Not all listings offer the same accessibility or amenities, but most people offer use of the kitchen, and other regular household stuff like their consoles or computer. I usually stock up on free drinks for people, and was thinking of buying a bike for people to use.

I've hosted about 400 people now and have made a lot of friends... seriously, It's worth checking out if you haven't used airbnb before. It helps out the local residents and is potentially cheaper than hotels and you can even get some rent credit if you get someone to refer you.

Bankruptsteve on
    edited May 2014
    Also, as far as bakery's go, Dahlia Bakery on 4th and Virginia has the best butter croissants in Seattle. It's owned by Tom Douglas who's Seattle's most famous chef. I don't know how the other stuff in there rates, but the croissants usually sell out by 10:30am. It's about 10 minutes walk from the convention center if you wanna check it out.

Bankruptsteve on
  • embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I just starting to use AirBNB recently (and I've been planning on using it again for PAX Prime), and from my experience it's a fantastic service. It really depends on who manages the specific living space that you're trying to stay at; but it's more or less a great alternative to staying at a hotel where you get an entire living space instead of just a single hotel room. The previous times I've used it, the hosts have been very accommodating and kind, and provide amazing benefits to their apartment/home that usually higher end hotels provide. Also, I love how you get can filter your search results by specific locations, money minimum/maximum, and specific details that you require.

embraceternity on
  • T3CHN0B4BBL3T3CHN0B4BBL3 Registered User regular
    I used AirBNB for the first time for PAX East this year and it was a wonderful experience. The host, room, and price was excellent. Only ten or so blocks away from the convention center, everything was within walking distance and the area felt very safe. I hope to stay at the same place next year.

I just realized I forgot one of the most important amenities for me that Airbnb provides in the places I stay - washer and dryer. Staying in Seattle for 7 days and don't have room in your suitcase for all the free t-shirts you acquired at PAX? Well, don't pack for a 7-day vacation when you have a washer and dryer to use! You could easily get away with a carry-on + backpack then.

Pins for trade!
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I just realized I forgot one of the most important amenities for me that Airbnb provides in the places I stay - washer and dryer. Staying in Seattle for 7 days and don't have room in your suitcase for all the free t-shirts you acquired at PAX? Well, don't pack for a 7-day vacation when you have a washer and dryer to use! You could easily get away with a carry-on + backpack then.

Woa, that's brilliant!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    I know it's not PAX related, but my wife and I used AirBnB for our honeymoon to the British Virgin Isles earlier this year. Site was great, found a nice place with a nice host. The site makes it easy to communicate with them before the trip as well.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Hey, just because it isn't PAX related doesn't mean there's no value in the experience! So far this has been really positive. I can't wait to add my own two cents in after PAX!

ONLY TWO(ish) WEEKS TO GO! :smile:

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    I got a place in south Seattle, about 20 minutes from Kings Cross Station. Never used AirBNB, this'll be interesting.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    Just updating on my own experience, it went very smoothly! Barring any concerns with the property itself, the AirBNB service was very smooth! Communication and payment was painless, and my particular host was quite easy to get in touch with for any questions. Overall, I'd use it again for sure, but I think I'd spend just a liiiiittle more to get a little higher quality place.

Also, as far as bakery's go, Dahlia Bakery on 4th and Virginia has the best butter croissants in Seattle. It's owned by Tom Douglas who's Seattle's most famous chef. I don't know how the other stuff in there rates, but the croissants usually sell out by 10:30am. It's about 10 minutes walk from the convention center if you wanna check it out.

I was looking back at my old posts and I take back the praise I said for this place. The food is still good, but I'm against the Chef's standpoint on wage equality issues. He makes a ton of money, but is against giving his employee's a fair wage. Boooo

• binarycupcakesbinarycupcakes Registered User regular
    I'm a host on Airbnb who lives three blocks from the convention center so this is a bit self serving, but Airbnb is a pretty awesome site. Not all listings offer the same accessibility or amenities, but most people offer use of the kitchen, and other regular household stuff like their consoles or computer. I usually stock up on free drinks for people, and was thinking of buying a bike for people to use.

I've hosted about 400 people now and have made a lot of friends... seriously, It's worth checking out if you haven't used airbnb before. It helps out the local residents and is potentially cheaper than hotels and you can even get some rent credit if you get someone to refer you.

Randomly reading through threads and stumbled here to see your post, stv.

Not promo-ing or anything, but my friend and I stayed with Bankruptsteve for another con in Seattle and literally had the most amazing time. Not going to lie, not what I expected, but 10/10 as far as experiences go. Plus, he's literally friends with every person in the downtown area, we got like 8 free tickets to a comedy show that was pretty darn amazing. I definitely prefer AirBnB to hotels.

Randomly reading through threads and stumbled here to see your post, stv.

Not promo-ing or anything, but my friend and I stayed with Bankruptsteve for another con in Seattle and literally had the most amazing time. Not going to lie, not what I expected, but 10/10 as far as experiences go. Plus, he's literally friends with every person in the downtown area, we got like 8 free tickets to a comedy show that was pretty darn amazing. I definitely prefer AirBnB to hotels.

Duuuuuuude! <3

• RalatRalat Registered User new member
    If I had to stay in a hotel, I'd probably enjoy my stay a little less. Airbnb is amazing, I've only had good experiences. I usually stay near the airport (like within walking distance) and take the light rail.

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    My PAX east trip was booked only a couple weeks before the show, so roughly "last minute" and hotels were super expensive. I found an airBNB place in downtown for about $100/night and it was great! It was just a small room with a bed and a few other things (tv, fridge, tiny desk, sink) so it was kind of like my dorm days, but for my needs it was perfect. The whole process start to finish was easy and my hostess was very accommodating with my arrival time and a couple of other requests. I was about 2 miles from the BCEC so I uber'd back and forth in the early mornings and late evenings. 10/10, would airBNB again in a pinch.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Son_of_MyrthSon_of_Myrth Los Angeles, CARegistered User new member
    In 2013 we took a group of 8 and split it between two airbnb locations with okay results. They were a 20 minute bus ride away, but we also had a minivan as some folks were doing sightseeing outside of PAX so that was our main mode of transportation. Finding the places was actually a pain in the ass because we waited until July to start looking and got strung along by a few folks.

This year we're taking 9 and I started looking for housing the day we got the tickets (May 7th). I was able to find two apartments much closer to downtown, minutes from the light rail, and I have very high hopes for the experience.

I've used airbnb on my own numerous times and would highly recommend them, though at this point I doubt you're going to find much for this year's PAX. :P

• The Real WillardThe Real Willard Registered User regular
    I have used AirBnB several times both in the US and in England and Scotland. All my experiences have been nothing short of amazing. I would highly recommend using Airbnb if you want a great place to stay at a reasonable price.