As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blazers [chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    wandering wrote: »
    I find the phrase "massively multiplayer" intimidating

I think I'd prefer a mildly or perhaps moderately multiplayer rpg

diablo!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I don't disagree with any of that. I have harsher opinions about Homeworld 2, but that's mainly because that game annoys me for a couple reasons, and I love Homeworld 1 with a passion.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    what is this bs?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    real talk: I hope people don't start using the Hail Hydra to indicate disagreement

I have always been strongly anti- having a button to facilitate being a passive-aggressive little punk

There is absolutely no way this is going to happen, primarily because Bro? is what you get when you peel back the newborn epidermis of hydra, and secondarily because pure spite will make people not want to bump up a 'score' of someone they disagree with unless that signifier is unequivocally considered embarrassing or bad

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Loving this hail hydra but I miss that's so raven.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, that concludes my first time ever playing a table top RPG. It was good times!

Thanks for putting this all together, @Jacobkosh‌ !

Oh, man, excellent :^: This is what I like to hear!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ii'm actually confused because i thought homefront was that game about french resistance in ww2

• Options
    Also, you do see the race you are in Homeworld 1 cutscenes, but they look elongated and are never in full focus.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    real talk: I hope people don't start using the Hail Hydra to indicate disagreement

I have always been strongly anti- having a button to facilitate being a passive-aggressive little punk

I'm sure if that happens, it will quickly get swapped to Sleepy Kitties or something.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Oh yea I had my first ever wet dream as an adult and it included Claire Danes. So that's something you all know about me now.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can someone explain what this even means?

I've seen "NOT ALL MEN" used as some sort of three-word-meme before but no idea what it's about.

• Options
    The last couple levels of Homeworld 1 were a drag though. The introduction to cloaking mission just sucked, and the comet rocket level was also really tedious and annoying.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

you can't really use it to express anything

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So Team Automata met tonight. The highlights from tonight include:

Our roguish villains found themselves wearing outfits that were color coordinated and with matching accessories. Quickly they realized prison jumpsuit orange was not as flattering as one could hope and while cuffs are fun in a BDSM photoshoot they just aren't good day wear. Thankfully they soon encounter the heroic FBI agent who offered them a deal of a lifetime. Do one job for him and get two years off their sentences. Or get transferred to a Supermax Prison and spend 22 out of 24 hours a day in solitary. Our crew took a moment to ponder this offer and decided that this discussion would be much easier without the cameras watching. Sadly the hacker/thief found himself thwarted by the clever FBI agent not leaving any paper clips behind. So his attempts to pick their cuffs with a staple were less than successful.

On that note, our band of scoundrels decided that accepting the offer on the table would be a better use then attempting to break out of prison. Their hopes for an all expenses paid vacation on the tax payers dime was thwarted by the FBI reasonable frugality. They were fitted with ankle trackers and told when the next bus to L.A. was. From there they found new lodgings which shockingly they paid for. And a car, also surprisingly paid for. And they begin to figure out how to take down the Pharmaceutical CEO who seems to be causing people researching papers showing his drugs kill to disappear.

And we left off from there.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

if you successfully debate away one logical fallacy, two will take it's place.

hail hydra.

• Options
    The last mission is awesome though. Massive dogfights. tons of capital ships. And for the first half of the mission you are constantly on your toes.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Fanatical obedience?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Our roguish villains found themselves wearing outfits that were color coordinated and with matching accessories. Quickly they realized prison jumpsuit orange was not as flattering as one could hope and while cuffs are fun in a BDSM photoshoot they just aren't good day wear. Thankfully they soon encounter the heroic FBI agent who offered them a deal of a lifetime. Do one job for him and get two years off their sentences. Or get transferred to a Supermax Prison and spend 22 out of 24 hours a day in solitary. Our crew took a moment to ponder this offer and decided that this discussion would be much easier without the cameras watching. Sadly the hacker/thief found himself thwarted by the clever FBI agent not leaving any paper clips behind. So his attempts to pick their cuffs with a staple were less than successful.

On that note, our band of scoundrels decided that accepting the offer on the table would be a better use then attempting to break out of prison. Their hopes for an all expenses paid vacation on the tax payers dime was thwarted by the FBI reasonable frugality. They were fitted with ankle trackers and told when the next bus to L.A. was. From there they found new lodgings which shockingly they paid for. And a car, also surprisingly paid for. And they begin to figure out how to take down the Pharmaceutical CEO who seems to be causing people researching papers showing his drugs kill to disappear.

Ankle braclets? Hah!

/cuts off foot

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    You steppin to me TAG?

You steppin?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    From what I've actually noticed, the third button seems to be establishing itself as the 'feels' button. Someone says something that elicits sympathy or Internet hugs or whatnot, 'agree' and 'awesome' don't really feel like the right button to push, but there's this third miscellaneous button over there, so, yeah, let's use that.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I feel my post got lost in the last chat, so I will re-post here.

Brothers and sisters....comrades.

One of my fraternity brothers posted this, and while he has not stated outright who is in the picture...I can guess with 99% certainty that this is my organic chemistry professor at Lehigh University during one of his final review lectures. His epic-ness rivals that of Neil Degrasse Tyson.

http://i.imgur.com/eJfN4IG.jpg

Professor Schrey usually does his final review lecture in one of two forms. In December he dressed as a hobo decrying the end of the world via the organic chemistry final and would ramble on the many different ways we could avoid the apocalypse and disaster.

The spring would be a last farewell as yoda, stressing the ways in which inter-molecular forces would help/inhibit various mechanisms for reactions and to always keep in mind the electronic resonance, which was the explanation for just about everything.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    OMG Arrow tonight

OMG

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhjjjjjn

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

I can't see how it could be used for anything other than comradery and/or designs on world domination

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

wasn't someone just talking about how this was how they liked to use the raven button?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's five in the fucking AM and can I truly say I'm awake? No.

This is so not raven.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    You steppin to me TAG?

You steppin?

Aw yeah, I'm steppin' up to that agree, Son!

I also think you have fantastically constructed view points, nah mean?!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

One of my fraternity brothers posted this, and while he has not stated outright who is in the picture...I can guess with 99% certainty that this is my organic chemistry professor at Lehigh University during one of his final review lectures. His epic-ness rivals that of Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Professor Schrey usually does his final review lecture in one of two forms. In December he dressed as a hobo decrying the end of the world via the organic chemistry final and would ramble on the many different ways we could avoid the apocalypse and disaster.

The spring would be a last farewell as yoda, stressing the ways in which inter-molecular forces would help/inhibit various mechanisms for reactions and to always keep in mind the electronic resonance, which was the explanation for just about everything.

is the fraternity reddit

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Ankle braclets? Hah!

/cuts off foot

oh but we have plans

when criminals are paying for things legitimately, you should be very, very worried

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    OMG Arrow tonight

OMG

Shut up I haven't watched it yet!

• Options
    I cannot recall the end of Homeworld 1. All I remember is the huspah I had in thinking my massive laser frigate armada can take on the junkyard dog (did you even HAVE laser frigates by that mission).

I was a sweet summer child.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    you know i never played homeworld but i always want to whenever people talk about it

so i am looking forward to that

real talk: i hope you don't hate it

Feral "Evil Multifarious"‌

Jacob on Homeworld:

- wonderfully minimalist presentation. There is a difference between "spare" and "underdeveloped" and Homeworld falls squarely on the former; in a few very short and largely abstract cutscenes and bits of dialog, you get the impression of a vast galaxy with a rich history but without a one hundred thousand word injection of cruft. And as I recall, the race you play as is never shown - you hear their voices all the time, but they might be lizard people or plucky little Mogwai people or blob people for all you know. (Of course then in the sequel it turns out they are human and your mothership is a hot chick because of course she is.)

- The atmosphere is fantastic. The entire game feels vast and lonely and sad.

- The tech tree is kind of sparse considering you spend the entire campaign climbing it (I think this is an unintended consequence of having the same tech tree for the campaign and the multi).

- Though I think this is somewhat made up for by the formation options (having your ships fly in a wing, a sphere, a claw, etc); most RTS combat is drag, click, point at the enemy, and then, depending on the game, hope that you have a really good micro setup. I really like that you have tactical options that don't rely on having lightning-fast fingers.

- I think the persistent fleet gameplay creates a series of perverse incentives. The optimal strategy ends up being to capture everything you can, particularly those sweet-ass laser frigates that you never learn how to buy. If you are really painstaking and careful (eg, if you have absolutely no fun), you can get an overwhelming force very early on and steamroll the first half of the game. But what's worse is that the developers, knowing this, then overbalance the difficulty to compensate for it - so in some levels, if you haven't been husbanding every ship with maximum anal-retentiveness, you get stomped.

- Too many levels rely on a gimmick (an invincible enemy, solar radiation that keeps you from leaving a dust cloud) rather than the core gameplay. I don't always mind that, and some of the gimmicks are really cool, but it is kind of annoying, particularly when it highlights the deficiencies of the UI (trying to stay inside a really narrow dust tunnel so you don't die is an enormous pain in the ass in 3D).

- All that said, I feel bad about never quite finishing it. I think I got to the last or next-to-last level.

Yeah, I thought it was a great example of doing a lot with a little. The writing and voice acting were memorable and moving and simple.

I agree on the atmosphere. The game just has a nice feeling to it.

I never got too into multiplayer because back then I was still anxious about losing at videogames to strangers.

They kind of implied that your ship was a hot lady in Homeworld 1, but yeah, everything was out of focus and speculative.

The formations were a lot of fun. I always liked building a stupid amount of strike craft and then flanking the enemy with a few massive claws. It was also fun to put a bunch of those 6-turret corvettes that could shoot in pretty much any direction into a sphere - COME AT ME, DON'T CARE WHERE FROM.

The salvage mechanic really kind of broke the single player, as you say. It turned time and tedium into pure gain. Still enjoyed playing through the story, though.

I thought the gimmicky levels and strange situations you kept encountering were interesting and fun, generally.

I, too, had trouble on the last level and gave up.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

is the fraternity reddit

nope, but I wouldn't be surprised if his antics found their way there. I know there's a college humor and/or youtube of one of these lectures out there.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

wasn't someone just talking about how this was how they liked to use the raven button?

The key was to use it in the discussions where no one was serious and nothing mattered.

But So Raven also was like the default way to express sympathy or an other emotion to a persons posts without feeling the need to fully engage. It was useful for when you couldn't really enter an argument because you were just passing by.

Hail Hydra is only Hail Hydra. It can't really signify anything else without seeming absurd.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, that concludes my first time ever playing a table top RPG. It was good times!

Thanks for putting this all together, @Jacobkosh‌ !

you are doing very well

my only RP experience (besides one prior game of Leverage featuring our gracious and diabolical host) has been online. like five years worth, but I've been out of the game just about as long

as the Leverage rulebook says, the first rule of the game is to make everyone around you feel awesome

you have done so, and I will reciprocate the favor

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I stare at this beast and every time I strike a blow two more grow where one had been

I am afraid

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Hail Hydra has two meanings, obv. 'Mark for assassination' and 'agree, evil variant'.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I cannot recall the end of Homeworld 1. All I remember is the huspah I had in thinking my massive laser frigate armada can take on the junkyard dog (did you even HAVE laser frigates by that mission).

I was a sweet summer child.

Oh yeah...

The junkyard dog mission was freaking tedious as well.

That game retains the atmosphere all the way through, but after the mind control ship level, it just goes downhill mechanically.

And you do have laser frigates, both the ion and multi-beam ones at that point. That's really close to the end of the game.

• Options

This is so not raven.

I AM THE RAVEN QUEEN

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

This is so not raven.

I AM THE RAVEN QUEEN

You just might have a vested interest in fighting this regime change.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.