As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So, one of my friends is trying to be "healthier" but I think she's endangering herself...any thoughts? Spoilered for kinda-long:
    So, one of my friends who's been overweight for a number of years, and made lots of half-hearted attempts to be healthier...told me a few months ago that she went vegan to try and eliminate foods that her body was struggling to digest (she's lactose intolerant and for some reason a bunch of other foods were bothering her too), and recently told me that she's lost 26 lbs! Her attitude towards life seems much healthier, and she's thinking of joining a local gym. All great, right?

...but on Facebook she keeps on "liking" posts from this girl's page....somebody called "Freelee - the Banana Girl"? Feel free to look her up. Basically a girl that struggled with eating disorders in the past (and is now apparently "completely healthy" and extremely thin looking) is touting her vegan, high fruit diet...that sometimes consists of eating ONLY dozens of bananas a day, or only two pineapples, or only 2 liters of orange juice, etc. This person posted a Youtube video that showed a recent blood test where all her results were apparently in the healthy range. The "Banana Girl" says that all the doctors and nutritionists that tell her she's malnourished are liars and it's all a big nutritional conspiracy. She has a huge number of followers.

My friend also shared an "infographic" a few weeks ago that suggested that some other mono-food health nut got "all her necessary protein from eating cherry tomatoes" because "cherry tomatoes are 20% protein". I linked my friend to something that showed that this person did not do their math properly, because there are 0.18 GRAMS of protein in a single cherry tomato...which does not mean that the cherry tomato is 20% protein. My friend never replied, but may have deleted her post.

So...am I crazy to think that the "Banana Girl" and these other people my friend is following are wildly, wildly unhealthy? I'm afraid that my friend is losing weight because she's following the advice from people that have no idea what they're doing...:( My friend doesn't use computers very often or the internet, so I'm not sure if she's aware how prevalent this stuff can be. Any of you guys dealt with this before? Is it actually possible these people are healthy and I am just completely wrong?

Freelee and her idiot boyfriend are surprising popular, which I find a little disturbing. They're skinny because they don't eat right and they do a shitload of cardio. If you watch any of their videos about strength, they're both weak as hell.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Companies are starting to make noise with their health insurance plans, making it mandatory to go get routine checks and visit with nutritionists. It's not hard to imagine a world where they start to tie BMI to premiums or some nonsense.

Yep. Last two companies I've worked for have had "Wellness Programs" that involved bloodwork, biometric screenings, meeting with health counselors. If you did as they say/passed their checks by a certain point in the year you got a substantial break on your monthly premium for the next year. It wouldn't surprise me to see that "discount" become high enough that it would more or less force participation (or become a penalty against your paycheck), especially for lower-income employees. Putting a weight/BMI goal, a blood pressure level, whatever isn't too far of a stretch.

Unrelated, I'm looking for tips to help with weight/strength progression on overhead presses. My progress has all but halted in terms of weight/development. Any of you guys who know more than me have a good idea of the number of reps/set to help push through where I'm stuck. Like the minimum reps in a set to still be effective, but help creep things along? I'm frustrated, so any thoughts would be welcome.

Read the Bill Starr article on starting strength about a stronger press. And press more.

It's a lift you gotta hammer

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    It's ninety out and I'm tiiiired

How many calories does laying in bed taking selfies burn

(I'm hoping it cools down so I can run later without killing my dog)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    lots

selfies are hard

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tell me about it

plus like, decisions about snapchat filters etc etc

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i just did a billy blanks aerobic thingy and it was super fun! but i had to forego the jumping because, yknow, top floor condo. at least for now.

are there any good sets of aerobics i can do that'll give me something to do when it's pouring? I'd normally go run anyway, but it is really pouring instead of just sprinkling.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    get a kettlebell and do swings until your heart wants to explode

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I keep forgetting I gotta look foxy for Euro vacay in a month

Alright world you win

No more selfies and Anthony Bourdain, out I go to exercise

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    One thing I like about Koko is they track the total weight you lift in a session (and lifetime, I think). Today I broke the 10,000 lb mark. B)

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I think I'm finally starting to feel something from working out. My general movement feels lighter - I especially notice this when getting out of chairs. Makes me happy.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Read the Bill Starr article on starting strength about a stronger press. And press more.

Thanks for that - article gave me some places to start and a workout to aim for. Never considered adding dips either, so going to throw those into the rotation too.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Thanks for that - article gave me some places to start and a workout to aim for. Never considered adding dips either, so going to throw those into the rotation too.

This is a good video on press technique. Lots of useful tips.

http://youtu.be/q5zkeyOcng4

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm making the press a priority going forward. It's my only remaining beginner level lift, and I've always sucked at it. I'm doing a 5 x 5 progression for my next cycle, hope to add 10kg over the next eight weeks.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    have you considered jelqing instead of lifting?

Let me show you how to do weighted dips.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Where do you find the binder clips strong enough to hang weights off of?

Just asking for a friend.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    A binder clip is just going to slip right off, you're better off banging a nail through.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    i have been thinking about getting kettle weights, @Beef Avenger‌ -- @Tube‌ taught me some routines a while back but they were with the regular dumbbell thingies. I wonder if it would transfer over.

I think I'm in a mental place now where I could get back to doing that. And, I'd like to. @Tube‌ has valuable advice.

which then begs the question ... kettle weights, or dumbbells.. and.. at Sears I can get a 5, 10, 15, and 20 for $99. I'd have to buy two of those, of course. Is that a good price? I don't even know.

http://www.sears.ca/product/impex8482-kettle-weight-set/606-000079228-VKBS50?recs=igodigital

ALSO -- QUESTION

Is there anything I can get to jump on that will soften the blow / noise to the apartment below me? I want to get a yoga mat (because I am messing up the carpet with my pivoting) but.. dont think that'll do anything for the jumps.

mully on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have heard people rave about kettlebells, though I'm not personally experienced with them

• Options
    Most kettlebell workouts will make the people in the apartment below hate you, but if you have a place you can use them kettlebells might be a good investment. You can get a great workout with dumbbells but you'll need a bench, plenty of weight and a lot of commitment.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This is the cardio interval program I'm doing right now for running according to MilitaryFitness: after a 2 minute jog warm up, alternating between 90 seconds at 7 mph and 30 seconds at 9 mph for 2 miles twice a week. Two longer 5-6 mile runs, with a rest day inbetween.

As a weekly check, I did two miles in 16 minutes during pouring rain and on uneven terrain, which for me is pretty dang good. My goal is to try to get to 15 or 14 over the next few months.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Kettlebells are fantastic if you're looking for a full body workout, as most of the stuff you do with them is basically just compound lifts mixed with cardio. If you want to do it though, you need to start with a light kettlebell and either get a trainer who knows what they're doing or watch videos or whatever to make sure your form is good. I mean, that goes with any weightlifting, but you could really hurt yourself swinging kettlebells that are too heavy for you or with bad form.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    i have been thinking about getting kettle weights, @Beef Avenger‌ -- @Tube‌ taught me some routines a while back but they were with the regular dumbbell thingies. I wonder if it would transfer over.

I think I'm in a mental place now where I could get back to doing that. And, I'd like to. @Tube‌ has valuable advice.

which then begs the question ... kettle weights, or dumbbells.. and.. at Sears I can get a 5, 10, 15, and 20 for $99. I'd have to buy two of those, of course. Is that a good price? I don't even know.

http://www.sears.ca/product/impex8482-kettle-weight-set/606-000079228-VKBS50?recs=igodigital

ALSO -- QUESTION

Is there anything I can get to jump on that will soften the blow / noise to the apartment below me? I want to get a yoga mat (because I am messing up the carpet with my pivoting) but.. dont think that'll do anything for the jumps.

Trampoline

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I have a question about running. Its probably dumb.

Since I stopped last year doing ballet and therefore exercising once a week (ballet is hard work!) I started to realise its probably not healthy for me, I'm skinny but thats not healthy and I kind of want to get good habits for when my metabolism slows with age. I'd start a class again but I'm low in funds, lots of people including my sister go running. Last time (admittedly a few years ago) I tried the whole running thing but didn't enjoy it and stopped. I don't know if its because I felt stupid about how out of breath I got so quickly. Does it get enjoyable and more fun with time? Does everyone start out not enjoying it much? Is it because I'm skinny I feel so tired so quickly or is that normal?

• Options
    It's normal to get tired so quickly at first. Supposedly once you can run further it becomes more fun and endorphins kick in. It's ok not to like running though. There's other stuff you can do. Hell, get a skipping rope, it's some of the best cardio out there.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I figured cause I like being outside and I live near a massive park running may be good, I don't really have space for a skipping rope to be swung around in the house. I tried yoga once and there wasn't enough room. I didn't know if I was just being pathetic.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I have a question about running. Its probably dumb.

Since I stopped last year doing ballet and therefore exercising once a week (ballet is hard work!) I started to realise its probably not healthy for me, I'm skinny but thats not healthy and I kind of want to get good habits for when my metabolism slows with age. I'd start a class again but I'm low in funds, lots of people including my sister go running. Last time (admittedly a few years ago) I tried the whole running thing but didn't enjoy it and stopped. I don't know if its because I felt stupid about how out of breath I got so quickly. Does it get enjoyable and more fun with time? Does everyone start out not enjoying it much? Is it because I'm skinny I feel so tired so quickly or is that normal?

I'm not fit. Not at all.

A few times I've tried running, but I always give up after a few months, because the pain never goes away for me. People tell me it's fun, but the pain in my legs and my lungs and my throat never stops. I get fit enough to run at a decent pace (none of that shuffly jogging bullshit) for 4 kilometres without stopping, up and down hills and shit, and it never stops hurting.

Now, cycling? I can ride my bike for hours, until I get so exhausted I have to stop and lie down to prevent myself passing out. That IS fun, and never hurts.

Running just isn't FOR everybody.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    mully wrote: »
    i have been thinking about getting kettle weights, "Beef Avenger"‌ -- Tube‌ taught me some routines a while back but they were with the regular dumbbell thingies. I wonder if it would transfer over.

I think I'm in a mental place now where I could get back to doing that. And, I'd like to. Tube‌ has valuable advice.

ALSO -- QUESTION

You'd be better off getting gear from somewhere like www.fitnesstown.ca than from Sears (there's a few of them in Van). I've got one of their brand of cast iron 24kg kettlebells and its good quality for the money. I wouldn't go with a set, you'd really only need one for quite a while if you get the proper weight for you (maybe somewhere in the 10kg-16kg range?), something like a 5lb kettlebell would be useless.

Kettlebell stuff is pretty different than dumbell stuff, so definitely check out some youtubes to see if you'd actually be into it. I prefer a proper gym and barbells, but I have my kettlebell to act as my portable gym as I only need the one piece of equipment. I mostly do swings, clean & press, and snatches with it.

If you were practiced you could manage it in an apartment, but as you were first learning a new thing I wouldn't risk it as you may have to let the kettlebell drop (and if it's got momentum you just got to let it do its thing). Basic stuff like swings shouldn't make much noise as you're only setting it down when you're done.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    trim your @ mentions y'all

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    I figured cause I like being outside and I live near a massive park running may be good, I don't really have space for a skipping rope to be swung around in the house. I tried yoga once and there wasn't enough room. I didn't know if I was just being pathetic.

You can skip in the massive park. Or do yoga in the massive park. No one will think it's weird. It's possible that if you persevere, you'll like running. I just don't think it's worth it, since it's not a particularly outstanding form of exercise.

• Options

I'm not fit. Not at all.

A few times I've tried running, but I always give up after a few months, because the pain never goes away for me. People tell me it's fun, but the pain in my legs and my lungs and my throat never stops. I get fit enough to run at a decent pace (none of that shuffly jogging bullshit) for 4 kilometres without stopping, up and down hills and shit, and it never stops hurting.

Now, cycling? I can ride my bike for hours, until I get so exhausted I have to stop and lie down to prevent myself passing out. That IS fun, and never hurts.

Running just isn't FOR everybody.

I would really love to get a bike one day, I never learned as a kid so I'm terrible and think I would enjoy it when I'm more confident. That makes me feel better its not just me!

I might skip then, I friggin loved it as a kid. I'll probably feel daft at first in the park but oh well.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I used to go to a park and put on silly clothes and stab people with metal swords with red tips taped over the ends.

So, no matter how daft you feel, Liiya, take solace in the fact that there is someone out there looking far more daft than you. ;)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    hm jump rope you say? that sounds like a good idea

• Options
    Haha that is a good point! There was a guy practicing his diabolo the other day so maybe its not that odd.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    England is just one big Renaissance Faire, isn't it?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Why skip when you can prance?

http://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I also joust in my spare time.

Prancing lady seems happy at least!

• Options
    Why skip when you can prance?

http://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew

Grannytoe warning.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Just another typical Friday night in Merry Old England:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

• Options
    Coming in on the other side of the conversation, Liiya, I love running so much that despite it being less than ideal as an exercise I will not give it up. When I first started I sucked and couldn't run a block without feeling like I was dying. But I built up and now I run, what, 3.21 km daily without so much as a twitch of discomfort. And I mean, no offense to the Big Gains crew, I lost like 25 pounds (I'm not converting that one), and while I may be unhappy with aspects of my body, I love how healthy my lungs/heart feel these days. And I pretty much put my super good doctor's checkups down to running, since I only do yoga three days a week most of the time.

Anyway it's certainly true that you shouldn't keep up an exercise that you dislike, but it's also true that you won't discover whether you actually like something if you don't give yourself a chance to actually be worth a damn at it. The feeling of going really fast - I'M TOTALLY GOING TO MAKE THIS TRAFFIC LIGHT - or those periods of just being able to go and go and go, like when you're on your third mile and you're like YEAH YEAH YEAH RUN FOREVER - are so awesome.

Sometimes I actually get a little crotchety at how anti-running people around here can be!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Holy shit I've never seen the Safety Dance video.

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.