As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Factorio - Strike the earth! (with automated mining drills)

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDZM0diiYc

Here's the demo download page:

http://www.factorio.com/demo/stable

Factorio is a management-transportation-crafting-survival-strategy-sci-fi game. It's in what seems to be very late alpha. I have only played the demo to completion (about 2 hours of gameplay, which is like an extended tutorial) and totally love it.

If you've played Transport Tycoon, Dwarf Fortress, Starbound, Minecraft, or any of the Anno games, this title has things similar to all of those.

You are a spaceman whose ship has crashed on an alien planet. You're there to build some kind of planetary defenses for colonists that are en route, and even though your ship crashed that job still needs to be done. You start out, like you do, by gathering iron, coal, and wood by hand, but within a few minutes you are building coal-fired automatic mining drills, conveyor belts, and robotic arms to move materials around. Soon you'll set up boilers to run steam engines which provide electricity for your growing automated facilities. Include research, vehicles, and combat with alien life the bigger your operation gets. The indigenous life doesn't like your pollution and will try to bust up your machines to stop it! At first you're defending yourself with a pistol, but soon you can set up automated gun turrets.

I haven't dug in to the main game yet, I wanted to post this post first. Everyone download the demo!

B6yM5w2.gif

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    I am having a lot of fun with this. It's already eaten up one day so far.

In the full game you can run the campaign which continues where the demo left off. I went to sandbox mode, but something tells me that playing the campaign would have explained some mechanics better. It took me a good while of experimenting to figure out how oil processing works (it is actually pretty easy).

In sandbox mode the game is about as hard or easy as you want to make it. I toned down the biters for my first run so I could figure out how stuff works. But you can also turn them up.

I need to get a lot better at feeding resources to my machinery using automation.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I find that making green science flasks is troublesome. It takes normal conveyors and inserters, which should be simple, but getting the iron and copper plates to roughly the same places is kind of a pain. There usually ends up being a really long belt, or some kind of fucked up half-loop I need to make, or underground belts, or something else tricky.

I am having a ton of fun with it though. On the second campaign mission you have to get the trains running, and that was fun to do, and then fun to ride them. A train car can carry 960 units of ore, so pretty soon I had a stash of like 12k ore at the mine station and nearly that much at the factory end. Blue inserters can only work so fast to unload that shit into chests.

When building train tracks, the train stop goes on the right-hand side of the track. If you don't put it there, the train goes 'no path' forever and won't move.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    I'm trying to skip past trains on my sandbox game.... this means so much running around that I probably made a mistake.

The bottleneck for greens doesn't even seem to be the components themselves, the factory that makes them is god awful slow as well. Probably gonna stick a couple speed modules in along with a productivity module till I unlock automation 3 (hopefully that can get the time down some).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Dammit, I should not have played this demo.

So here's the biggest selling point to me about this game: a crafting game that doesn't give two shits about trying to waste your time on the boring stone/iron/silver/etc pickaxe system or manually mining individual bits of stuff. Yeah, you have to do some manual mining to get the basics materials, but once you've got a self-sustaining setup, it's actually self-sustaining. The fun is in maximizing productivity and getting great automated setups, not micromanaging or wacking away at rocks with your latest-and-greatest pickaxe.

By the third stage of the demo, I had a little base running off of steam power where the coal mining automatically refuelled boilers, all my resources were being collected and refined into plates automatically, and even auto-loaded gun turrets; basically, my whole factory was on autopilot while my four radar dishes scanned for wreckage. And this was a teensy factory, with only a couple steam plants and handful of ore collectors.

Basically, I'm hooked. Paid for and downloaded.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Is this a mix of Dwarf Fortress, Colonization and SpaceChem?

If it is, then fuck you guys for finding this and ruining my life.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Yeeeeeeep it is. Add some Anno and you're done.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    That is one of the best trailers I have ever seen. Between that and a few minutes of watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8w6iVfBQBc

I just took the plunge and picked it up.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah. Having played the demo this game is bad, bad news.

[edit]

Maybe, maybe I can hold out until this hits Steam.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I cannot wait until they add multiplayer so that I can stop slowly going insane alone. This game scratches an itch I had no idea I had.
    ShL7yIh.jpg

See, when I built that and got it running efficiently so the labs were stocked 100% of the time, I was proud of myself. Now I'm looking at it and going "I COULD TEAR IT DOWN AND REBUILD IT AND GAIN 43% MORE EFFICIENCY."

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I freaking hate this game for making me feel smart for figuring out how to build self-reloading turret clusters that I never have to watch because everything runs up and dies against a never-ending hail of bullets fed by a vast, heartless factory.

Also for making me want to take the place I've spent the last three hours putting together, pull it apart, and redirect all the manufacturing products to centralized collection areas.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    that trailer made me laugh out loud

cold, emotionless, completely automated robots made me laugh

skynet has won, folks

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Also it's worth noting the devs are currently working on multiplayer so you can recruit your friends to help you build absurd assembly lines.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Hm, played the demo and really enjoyed it. Was going to buy the game but don't really understand the difference between the first two tiers. Without the scenario pack is the first tier just all sandbox all the time? That's still probably enough for me to buy it as it's a really neat game, but still.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    oh shit

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Hm, played the demo and really enjoyed it. Was going to buy the game but don't really understand the difference between the first two tiers. Without the scenario pack is the first tier just all sandbox all the time? That's still probably enough for me to buy it as it's a really neat game, but still.
    If you find out you want the scenario maps you can upgrade your purchase later.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    NOPE, NOT LOOKING.

not gonna get me.

nope nope nope

Oh its not on steam? Good I'm safe.

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I cannot wait until they add multiplayer so that I can stop slowly going insane alone. This game scratches an itch I had no idea I had.
    ShL7yIh.jpg

See, when I built that and got it running efficiently so the labs were stocked 100% of the time, I was proud of myself. Now I'm looking at it and going "I COULD TEAR IT DOWN AND REBUILD IT AND GAIN 43% MORE EFFICIENCY."

I wonder if it would make sense to have SpaceChem style leaderboards. You know, maps with a certain goal and then stats on how much time and components you used compared to others.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Just tried the demo.

...holy shit. I am already scribbling designs on some paper for the next level.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I watched two minutes of one of those trailers and was like "yes I think I'll play the fuck out of this.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Also it's worth noting the devs are currently working on multiplayer so you can recruit your friends to help you build absurd assembly lines.

God damn it.

I'm a sucker for games like this where you can just sperg over efficiency and what not, and end up obsessing over them (because I'm not as smart as a lot of people playing stuff such as SpaceChem and Kerbal Space Program with their crazy solutions and rocket designs respectively).

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be over here wondering why it's suddenly 12 hours later while I watch my automated production line.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Kinda surprised this isn't on greenlight, seems like plenty of game to get early access.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Purchase page says you'll get a Steam key if they manage to get onto Steam, so it might be an eventual goal.

• Options
    The only thing that has kept my resolve from completely eroding away is what happened the last time I bought a game like this, which kind of just.. died.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    The only thing that has kept my resolve from completely eroding away is what happened the last time I bought a game like this, which kind of just.. died.

Towns?

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    DAMN IT the last hour of my life just kinda disappeared into the void. <_<

• Options
    Mackenzier wrote: »

Towns?

Yes :(

• Options
    I didn't realize until I was nearly done with the demo portion that you can just right click on buildings to remove them. I was shooting them with my gun to destroy. <_<

Also I was pretty proud of myself when I built up an efficient mineral burning system.

• Options
    So how to you pick up items on the ground, say, after mining away a misplaced Transport belt?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man, the tutorial bites.

a) Stop with the hostiles and the day/night cycle. The tutorial is meant to teach the mechanics, and it's fucking annoying having to deal with that shit while I'm trying to figure out what the hell the tutorial is trying to tell me (badly).
    b) Stop with the prebuilt tutorial stages. If I'm meant to learnt, it doesn't help if you've gotten half the shit placed already. I just started map 3 and I'm faced with a lot of stuff I don't recognize. Why wasn't I allowed to place those? why wasn't I told what they are/do?
    c) For the love of god, on/off switches for everything.

I can tell I'm going to like the building side of things, but not the tower defense bits.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Man, the tutorial bites.

a) Stop with the hostiles and the day/night cycle. The tutorial is meant to teach the mechanics, and it's fucking annoying having to deal with that shit while I'm trying to figure out what the hell the tutorial is trying to tell me (badly).
    b) Stop with the prebuilt tutorial stages. If I'm meant to learnt, it doesn't help if you've gotten half the shit placed already. I just started map 3 and I'm faced with a lot of stuff I don't recognize. Why wasn't I allowed to place those? why wasn't I told what they are/do?

I can tell I'm going to like the building side of things, but not the tower defense bits.

I said screw the tutorial and just dived into the game proper after finishing the very first tutorial area.

While it still has the day night cycle, you'll be glad to hear the enemies aren't a problem unless you settle right next to a hive or if you have a lot of pollution. Like, there was a hive about 2.5 screens away from the edge of my base, and they left me 100% alone until I had my boilers running, and then it was only like 1 little scout every 2-3 game days.

And then you can just throw up a few automated turrets.

• Options
    So how to you pick up items on the ground, say, after mining away a misplaced Transport belt?

Apparently the 'F' button is your friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hold the F key when near loose items, you'll hoover them up.
    Eh, after playing for a bit, I really feel like this would just add an excessive and pointless level of micromanaging. Resources are massive, so there isn't actually much point to having to switch a bunch of sequences on and off manually; using conveyor belts to buffer resources lets you build long production sequences that automatically stop drawing resources when the conveyor backs up, which is WAY more useful than a switch to stop a sequence.

For instance, at this point I have something like a dozen constructors and furnaces with a zillion arms running in a production chain which takes in coal, iron ore, and copper ore to produce copper sheets, iron plates, gears, wire, circuits, conveyor pieces, inserters, red science stuff in triplicate, and green science stuff in duplicate, with the red and green science automatically dumped into four labs for hassle-free research. The whole sequence is self-fueling, including the half-dozen steam engines powering my base, and I have a couple of dump points for excess iron plate and copper sheets so I can grab them for crafting elsewhere.

Trying to manage that all with manual switches would be a total nightmare, as opposed to the conveyor buffer setup restricting its own use to strictly what is needed. Just let stuff run, because draining resources at any significant rate is actually really tough unless you decide to just build massive extraction points.

Oh, and two pieces of advice for everybody in general. The first is that inserters won't actually endlessly dump items into every structure. For instance, furnaces will keep taking in ore until you have a full stack of refined product inside the furnace, but they will only take a handful of coal and refill it as it runs out. Inserters will also only automatically put a certain amount of ammo in turrets, and will also only put a couple of each science type in a lab at a time. What this means is that you don't have to worry about an automated sequence turning all of your resources into bullets or red science or something like that, since the stuff you'll be dumping refined products into are generally limited specifically to prevent that from happening.

The second thing is that building multiple labs is totally worth it. 4 labs means research is done in a quarter of the time, and once you have an automated sequence figured out for getting science goo made and transferred to the labs, research basically takes care of itself except for choosing the actual research items.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular

Towns?

So much regret. :|

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options

Towns?

So much regret. :|

So much :neutral_face:

• Options
    Hold the F key when near loose items, you'll hoover them up.
    Eh, after playing for a bit, I really feel like this would just add an excessive and pointless level of micromanaging. Resources are massive, so there isn't actually much point to having to switch a bunch of sequences on and off manually; using conveyor belts to buffer resources lets you build long production sequences that automatically stop drawing resources when the conveyor backs up, which is WAY more useful than a switch to stop a sequence.

For instance, at this point I have something like a dozen constructors and furnaces with a zillion arms running in a production chain which takes in coal, iron ore, and copper ore to produce copper sheets, iron plates, gears, wire, circuits, conveyor pieces, inserters, red science stuff in triplicate, and green science stuff in duplicate, with the red and green science automatically dumped into four labs for hassle-free research. The whole sequence is self-fueling, including the half-dozen steam engines powering my base, and I have a couple of dump points for excess iron plate and copper sheets so I can grab them for crafting elsewhere.

Trying to manage that all with manual switches would be a total nightmare, as opposed to the conveyor buffer setup restricting its own use to strictly what is needed. Just let stuff run, because draining resources at any significant rate is actually really tough unless you decide to just build massive extraction points.

Oh, and two pieces of advice for everybody in general. The first is that inserters won't actually endlessly dump items into every structure. For instance, furnaces will keep taking in ore until you have a full stack of refined product inside the furnace, but they will only take a handful of coal and refill it as it runs out. Inserters will also only automatically put a certain amount of ammo in turrets, and will also only put a couple of each science type in a lab at a time. What this means is that you don't have to worry about an automated sequence turning all of your resources into bullets or red science or something like that, since the stuff you'll be dumping refined products into are generally limited specifically to prevent that from happening.

The second thing is that building multiple labs is totally worth it. 4 labs means research is done in a quarter of the time, and once you have an automated sequence figured out for getting science goo made and transferred to the labs, research basically takes care of itself except for choosing the actual research items.

I agree about wanting off switches. I don't ever need hundreds, or even a full stack, of engines or defense drones. It would be simpler for me to let those assemblers run and then switch them off when I don't need it anymore. You could rotate an inserter to get a similar effect but that doesn't stop power draw or pollution.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    I don't understand this concept you are trying to speak of.

What do you mean..too much?

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    And instead of switches you can eventually work up to and use smart boxes/inserters which will let you use basic logic. "only put those things in here if there are less than 10 of them in here already" type logic. So you won't have to fill up the entire box before it stops making engines or whatever.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    For engines i just make it so the inserter is only allowed to touch the first box, can't end up with too many that way, and can make a full train at once if you need to.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Stolen from the official forums: "Red Science Linear Assembly Line"

9MM2XvZ.jpg

This is the point where I realize I still have a kindergarten-level understanding of the game.

• Options
    Stolen from the official forums: "Red Science Linear Assembly Line"

9MM2XvZ.jpg

This is the point where I realize I still have a kindergarten-level understanding of the game.

...ok then. If anyone wants me, I'll be in the corner playing with some sticks and mud.

Capture.jpg~original