As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Feeding Gamers - What do you eat while you play?

ex_academicex_academic Registered User new member
So, eating while gaming creates a tension between two otherwise wonderful things (delicious food and awesome games). But, when I host gaming parties (for veterans, newbies, and the random friends they bring along), I'm pretty sure I need both of them. Then on top of that, I have to think about what sort of dietary restrictions might be at the table. What do you guys think - are there many vegan gamers out there, and what would you like to be served at your gaming table?

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Back when I had regular games, we typically all brought stuff so someone could make dinner. Burgers, dogs, tacos, chili, etc. And then whatever snacks you wanted for yourself.

We played for 4-5 hours on a Thursday, we'd cook early and try to save time by having food there.

I have never run into a vegan gamer, though I've seen people who eat some weird crap (like pineapple on a pizza!). I'd think a vegan gamer would have the courtesy to bring something that could be prepared like boca burgers or whatnot, or at least give some warning to whoever was providing the grub.

• MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    Whenever I've done a long gaming session, we've always provided snacks, or did a "bring something to share" deal, including drinks. I've also hosted taco nights, or made dinner for the group.

Vegan gamers are easy. Stuff em full of Beer.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    I've either made something ahead of time that can just be kept warm (lasagna) or we've all just pitched in for a pizza or thai food or something. Keep the wine and beer flowing and people are usually pretty happy with whatever. We've got some vegetarians in our group, but no vegans - so I can't help you there.

One note: we've been edging away from finger food because it's a bit harder on the game components. Someone always gets careless and grabs at a card or something with a greasy hand.

• OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    For the 12-player rpg I'm in, everybody who doesn't contribute to the planned dinner brings drinks and snacks instead, usually fresh fruit, cheese, and sausage. We self-police by shaming slackers and/or making them do the dishes. Feeding that many people is a challenge, so modular dishes tend to be preferred. Tacos, baked potatoes, enchiladas in different varieties, stuff like that.

More normal-sized gaming tends to be a more ad-hoc version of the above, but ordering delivery is usually reserved as a last resort.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I'm making a Thai vegetable salad, and I'm roasting a chicken now for cold chicken wraps, with roasted peppers and cream cheese.

This is a rare instance of me hosting, though, and a session at lunchtime. Normally we play after dinner, so it's crisps and Swizzels Matlow selection bags, plus garlic bread if we're feeling fancy.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    We usually have folks over after dinner time, so we avoid full meals. Last time, we served a variety of hot hors d'oeuvres, itty-bitty pizzas, cookies, brownies and chips.

We try to front-load the food at the beginning of the night so people are less likely to get their grimy fingerprints all over my game components.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Yeah, we definitely delineate food time from game time if we're playing a game with parts. If we're rp'ing and I'm just mirroring Roll20 to the tv, there aren't nearly as many concerns on that front. We still start with meal time when possible, so people aren't forced to speak around a mouthful of food.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    A vegetable platter is usually a pretty easy way to provide finger food without having to worry about too much mess and muss. Well assuming they don't drip the dip all over the place.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Our group often does a couple of small games or one decent sized game before food gets brought up. Sometimes one of us will cook something easy enough to feed the 5-6 of us that are there(typically some variety of pasta or taco), but more often than not we will order something and everyone ponies up their share, since we have a pretty decent variety of foods near us.