As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who is Pax Dev for? (sorry if this has been asked)

LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
I know the FAQ say "to the developer community for the craft that is game making" but what does that mean? Does it mean hobbyist who have worked on a game for fun at their house and never plan on getting a job as a game developer and never published a thing, a guy who has made a few flash/unity/java/.ect games and maybe got them on some sites, a tabletop game developer, someone who works/runs a company with a/plans to pulish games or all of the above?

Once again sorry if it was answered already I couldn't figure out what to search to find it

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014
    I believe it is intended for folks who would consider themselves active game developers in the industry, or students in a game development program.

Taking a look at last year's schedule of sessions might help you out: http://m.guidebook.com/guide/12492/schedule/

It would be great if some folks who have attended could answer this though, because I haven't and am therefore not sure.

zerzhul on
  • LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Thanks zerzhul for last years schedule.I also was hoping someone that had attended would give more info but maybe they are scared of the perma ban from all PAXs if they broke the the first rule of pax dev(I read on some post that if you talk about pax dev you are perma baned from all PAXs.This it is ment for releasing info on games early but a ban from PAXs is scary)

LetMeIn on
  • MagicSwordKingMagicSwordKing | (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's definitely a joke. You have to do some rowdy shit to get banned from PAX, it doesn't happen often.

Aperture Safety Personal Observation Tester for Aperture Testing and Observation, Honorary Alphanaut, Grandmaster of the Tychonian Guard, Chronicler of the House of Brahe, Senior Editor for Mustache News, Agent of O.S.P.R.E.Y., PAX COPS Detective Inspector, and PAX Tours Saboteur.

"I think he starts in reality and ends in fantasy."
    "No he starts in fantasy and ends in chaos."
    -Anonymous
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    It seems like a looser and cheaper version of GDC. So, there is really no barrier. I am starting to dig into indie dev an I am thinking of doing it.

Krathoon on
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like a looser and cheaper version of GDC. So, there is really no barrier. I am starting to dig into indie dev an I am thinking of doing it.

I haven't attended personally, but the testimonials I've read online have been universally positive about the Dev experience. In large part, it appears to be as a result of being less formal and more affordable as you mentioned.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    I just saw this and yeah I wanted to say that there won't be a lot of information about PaxDev, the black box that exists around it is something we all agree to when we attend. It's to promote a safe space to talk and converse among devs where we aren't being recorded by every media person for soundbytes and whatnot.

What I will say is that it's awesome, I learned a lot as a game designer/narrative writer/producer, and fully intend to go again next year. It's a little costly but certainly not insane, and well worth the money. Beyond that, again sorry, black box over communication.

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    As a heads up, yes, we take the black box nature of the event seriously and do enforce it. (so it's not a joke) Thanks.

Some guy.