As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcam Interview? What. The. Hell?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
I have an interview in a few weeks via webcam for a job I really, really want. How does one do this?

Off of the top of my head, I will be planning to dress as I would for a real life interview, I'll use a buddy on Skype to check my lighting and presentation in advance, but uh, what the hell?

I am in the business of saving lives.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Pretty common these days. Treat it like an in-person interview.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    In the background of where I would have the camera you're going to be able to make out a subway sized movie poster of Pulp Fiction, take it down?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    In the background of where I would have the camera you're going to be able to make out a subway sized movie poster of Pulp Fiction, take it down?

Yes. Or cover with a single-color sheet/blanket.
    Note that you still do not have to wear pants.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Covering it with a sheet would look odd. Just take it down.

• Options
    Okay, will take down that poster. The rest is j ust a blank white wall.

I've read probably a dozen "HOW TO MASTER WEBCAM INTERVIEWS" articles. Any other suggestions. I will wear pants.l

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Some parole like having another person stand behind the camera, so they're talking to a person instead of a camera.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I did one of these recently for the job I have now. I think it's just a way for them to do a face to face interview without the expense of flying you out or something. Treat it like any other interview. Keep the background nice and neat.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    If you think about getting lazy closer to interview and think about not doing pants/shoes/socks/whatever, don't. People have been requested to stand up, or back up from the camera.
    Find a very neutral area, with decent natural lighting. Patrol background noise. Have roommates? Kick them the fuck out. Dogs? Try and find a dog sitter or something. Silence the cell phone, don't dick around on the internet while sitting there.
    Don't look away from the computer. Use the peoples names as you can.
    I can't currently think of other things.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Smile, sit up stragiht, avoid bad body language (rolling of eyes, slouching, picking at nails, etc.).

It's a face to face, just not in person. Technology has just made it REALLY easy to avoid that cost of a plane ticket (or even hotel) for a day or two.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Don't make eye contact with the person on the screen. If you do, it'll seem like you're looking down.

Instead, pretend the person's eyes are located in the actual webcam itself. Look into the camera. You'll appear more engaged and personable.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you normally wear glasses, don't wear glasses. Wear contacts or nothing. The monitor will reflect on your glasses and make it hard for people to see your eyes if you wear glasses.

• Options
    I wore glasses during mine and it was fine. Maybe depends on your webcam/monitor?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    How do you know it was fine? Did they specifically say "we can see your unobstructed pupils?" But yes, it of course depends on circumstances. Better safe than sorry, though.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I had a successful skype interview late last year for a competitive post-grad position, and I had taken the interview super seriously. I can't stress enough how correct everyone has been about dressing and behaving appropriately in a webcam interview.

I dressed in the nicest (professional) outfit I had, including trousers and nice shoes, even though I was doubtful they would see what kind of pants or shoes was wearing, i didn't want to risk anything. The whole interview ended up taking place with me just sitting, but you don't know what they're going to ask you to do going in. Treat it exactly like you would if you had to go into their office for an interview. People who laugh and say they don't even wear pants are taking a big risk. Now that I think about it, dressing up actually let me become more comfortable because I FELT like I was attending an interview, and it helped me get into the zone. Does that make sense? I feel like if I didn't wear professional pants I might not have taken the whole thing as seriously and professionally as I did.

Maintain good posture, try to look at the actual camera when you can. It's awkward because you want to look at the screen so you can see them but keep in mind if you do that it may appear that you are avoiding eye-contact. It's common sense to realise that maintaining eye contact on a web-cam is difficult, but by the time they do, they've already made a snap judgement about it.

Angle the camera so it has a good view of you in a seated position - the view that they would normally have of you if you were on the opposite side of a desk to them. However, also make sure that nothing personal/incriminating is behind you. I did my interview in my bedroom as it was the best place in the house to do it. Believe me, I took my ipad from room to room and set it up with various angles and lighting to try to capture the best view without personal shit being in the way.

My bed is directly behind my desk so I needed to arrange the camera so anything like that wasn't in view. It actually took a lot of preparation to find the right spot so DON'T SKIP THAT PART. I absolutely do not recommend that you just wing it and do your interview at any ol' position in the house. Make sure it's as perfect as you can - they will notice. Even though it's an interview, you are giving them a look into your personal home. They can and will make judgements on what they can see.

Speak clearly. It might actually be appropriate to ask how well they can hear you, and if they would like you to do anything to make it easier for them to be able to understand you such as speaking louder.

When I did my interview, I brought notes with me in case they asked me something that I had prepared for. It's a tad risky, and if you need to review your notes, you need to keep them off camera, and do it in a way that isn't noticeable. With that said, I didn't really need my notes. So I'm thankful that I didn't attempt to use them - it might have not gone well. So keep something like that in mind, you may be better off being mentally prepared rather than relying on notes like you can in a phone interview.

I don't know what other people's thoughts are about this. But I recommend that you try to use speakers if you can. Wearing a headset might look a bit goofy and might take away the feeling of a face to face interview. With that said though, if you need to use a headset, just let them know at the start that you don't have speakers, or they're broken/not loud, or that you don't have a working internal mic, so you need to use a headset so you can hear each other better. They should be fine with that.

Hopefully my input doesn't garner too much disagreement and is helpful.

Good luck!

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Morblitz wins comment of the thread award. Good advice from experience there.

Back when I was doing hiring interviews, I always really wanted a candidate to ask for a video chat interview as we gave the option but everyone always did face to face while I was there.

Think about what is valued in the job you are interviewing for and set up your background appropriately for this. Since you get to control so little in an interview, take advantage of being able to control the setting here. Keep in mind depending on the skills required to be shown on the interview that you might have to move the camera to show something else than the static background.

Just some thoughts. Keep us posted! These are my favorite Help/Advice threads. Good luck!

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Have a back up plan in case your connection goes down. If you don't have Skype on your smartphone, this is a good time to set it up.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    If you use a trackpad, set it to "tap to click" so if you need to click through your notes quickly you can do so without making any noise.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh, do not wave hello and goodbye. Too much cheese.

• Options
    How do you know it was fine? Did they specifically say "we can see your unobstructed pupils?" But yes, it of course depends on circumstances. Better safe than sorry, though.

I know it was fine because Skype shows a picture of yourself in one of the corners so I could see exactly what they saw looking at me and I noticed that there was no glare when I did a test call with a friend. So yeah, I KNOW IT WAS FINE.

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular

I know it was fine because Skype shows a picture of yourself in one of the corners so I could see exactly what they saw looking at me and I noticed that there was no glare when I did a test call with a friend. So yeah, I KNOW IT WAS FINE.

Beware... what Skype shows in the corner of your screen is not what the party on the other end sees.

• Options
    Serpent wrote: »

Beware... what Skype shows in the corner of your screen is not what the party on the other end sees.

Well, TIL, but I did test with my friend so I know it was fine. In the end, I got the job... so all is well that ends well

• Options
    I think I've got the big ideas down. Treat it as a real interview, dress appropriately (including pants), make sure anything distracting or colorful is put away, and check my camera settings with a buddy prior. Look at the camera, not the screen.

This can probably be locked unless anyone else has anything to add?

• Options
    Well I want to know how it goes later. Please don't lock!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    As a follow-up to Morblitz's advice, if you're using a laptop, place the laptop on a stack of books or the like so that the camera is level with your eyes. If you just place a laptop on a table/desk in front of you normally, the camera can quite easily be pointing right up your nostrils.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    As a follow-up to Morblitz's advice, if you're using a laptop, place the laptop on a stack of books or the like so that the camera is level with your eyes. If you just place a laptop on a table/desk in front of you normally, the camera can quite easily be pointing right up your nostrils.

Oh, wow, yes this is extremely applicable.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    Don't make eye contact with the person on the screen. If you do, it'll seem like you're looking down.

Instead, pretend the person's eyes are located in the actual webcam itself. Look into the camera. You'll appear more engaged and personable.

This is crucial.

• Options
    I set up my laptop with the webcam in my dining room today, plain beige wall behind me. I got books stacked up so the image is just my face and my upper chest and I got a buddy to practice with to look into the camera lens like it's the person I'm speaking to.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    What's the job? I've done a ton of webcam interviews and frequently do customer/internal meetings via webcam. I don't begrudge anyone for what they have up on their walls - it's their house after all. In fact, sometimes it gives you an idea as to their personality/interests.

I'd encourage you not to over think it too much. Be yourself.

• Options
    It's for a Certified Register Nurse Anesthetist for a bigger academic facility I've been looking at. I worked their prior as a bedside nurse in the MICU, so I'm not terribly nervous (I'm sure they've already spoken to my previous nursing manager) and I have a buddy who's a CRNA there already who's put in a good word for me. I'm usually really good at interviews, at least I think I am - I've never been rejected after a face to face interview, but the whole webcam setup is throwing me a little bit.

All great tips though, just picked up my suit from the dry cleaner as well.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I had to setup Skype on our HR person's machine for a one off interview, she loathed it and said it was a terrible way to interview. I don't think we'll be using it again anytime soon. So yeah, what you're going through? Employers deal with it too.

I think she actually had to re-jigger her office because of the sunshine coming into her office at that time of day.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    If you're using skype, I find it helpful to put the little preview picture of my face right up under the camera. I have a tendency to look at my own face for some reason, and that helps me keep focused like I'm talking to a human instead of a robot.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    What's the job? I've done a ton of webcam interviews and frequently do customer/internal meetings via webcam. I don't begrudge anyone for what they have up on their walls - it's their house after all. In fact, sometimes it gives you an idea as to their personality/interests.

I'd encourage you not to over think it too much. Be yourself.

Seriously this. If they're not going to hire you because your home webcam set up is not optimal, you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

• Options
    Update! I got the job! Thank you to everyone for the advice! Especially dressing nicely and looking at the camera lens!