As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shadowgate] It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
z9h2Q.png

mainimage.jpg
After a couple years in development, the revival of an NES classic draws near.

d6b2d56955735c695f155840e3fab909_large.png?1350396454

What is Shadowgate?

“The last thing that you remember is standing before the wizard Lakmir as he gestured wildly and chanted in an archaic tongue. Now you find yourself staring at an entryway which lies at the edge of a forest.”

So begins the legend of Shadowgate – the granddaddy of all ‘point and click’ fantasy adventure games and NES FAVORITE! This unique adventure paved the way for a host of adventure games to follow, sold millions of copies and has been ported to nearly 10 different platforms!

Zojoi, the creators of Shadowgate, are proud to announce the RE-IMAGINING of Shadowgate! While we love all of the versions of the game (especially the NES version!), this new game is not a port. We are relaunching the franchise and have added tons of new puzzles and twists to Shadowgate! Stunning new rooms have also been added – as well as familiar locations, many that we are redesigning to provide a new play experience while retaining the essence and fun of the original. The game is being developed for PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices, in hopes of bringing back the first-person adventure game genre!

SHADOWGATE FEATURES:

First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, spell book, mapping system and on-screen commands to complete your quest
Rooms: Tons of Beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new play experience
Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game
Difficulty Levels: Three different difficulty levels that actually change the game play experience and puzzle structure
Commands: Intuitive command-based UI allows you to interact extensively with the environments (includes features like key binds, command locking/unlocking, retractable/maximizable HUD, etc.)
Storytelling: Features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from a Shadowgate adventure
Cinematic Score: A full, digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack by composer Rich Douglas
8-bit Score: A second retro soundtrack featuring Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES composition
Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design
Achievements: Dozens of in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock
Animations: Environmental and object-specific animations and particles bring each location to life

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k0Tpi7FU8pQ

Should be entering Beta soon. Hoping it'll release not long after...
Here are SOME of the things that we finished or are in the middle of working on this past month…

Achievement support is in (and ready to be hooked up to Steam) for all 24 possible achievements
A second pass has been done on all game text
Help screens are finalized
Tons of work on our 2D animations has been done (mostly monsters and such)
Hidden Death sequences have been redesigned for better functionality
Original NES music mode is now in the game (Yay!)
We revamped the tutorial framework completely and it is now in and the script is being tied to it
Additional torch, darkness and lighting level scripting has been added
The Hint framework is implemented and is being scripted
Secondary puzzles and quests are being polished
Additional room particles have been added
Burning effects (on any burnable object) is in
Spell effects are mostly complete
Lots and lots of bug fixes

5569591fd8574762d60f8d19f38c1da1_large.png

52f4767dab744f3a814edc0127e8e454_large.jpg?1395801018

Prepare to die... again.

shadowgate.jpg

wVEsyIc.png

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    :)

Pre-Order Trailer looks good.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I really wish I'd put in for that box.

c996304edfcfae2635c84f1294ab3c2d_large.jpg?1395801500

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Looks very impressive.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Can't wait. Loved playing this on the Macintosh back in the day.

Esh on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was a huge fan of it on the NES so I'm excited for this!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    MUST...Resist....

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever beaten the original

I mean in he entire human race

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Has anyone ever beaten the original

I mean in he entire human race

I think I did once, though that may have been a crazy fever dream.

Anyway, this one caught me by surprise, had no idea it was being remade. Bullshit deaths notwithstanding, I played the hell out of this game, along with the similar Deja Vu and Uninvited; Deja Vu in particular, since I love a good detective story and that had the added bonus of being set in 1940s Chicago. Probably won't jump on this right away, but definitely wishlisted.

If there isn't an option to use sword on self, I will be immensely disappointed.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    And yet backers haven't gotten their keys...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Never mind! It's being done through humblebundle. I'll try to get to it soon.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I beat the NES version back in the day, but I don't know if could do it again. Such good music, though.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    I beat the NES version back in the day, but I don't know if could do it again. Such good music, though.

They're offering free ring tones of the NES music on their webpage, if you're interested.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Reminds me of this bit in Uninvited where a record player briefly plays a noisy, off-tune variant of the starting track for Shadowgate. Played Shadowgate afterwards so I didn't recognize it at the time; broke the tension something fierce though.

But yeah, those games had great music. I can still remember how a few of the tracks go.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Didn't expect this much VA. Enjoyable so far. No deaths... yet.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    1024x576.resizedimage

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'll be picking this up tomorrow. I'm hoping they'll do a similar remake of Déjà Vu and Uninvited!

• Options
    Talk to dragons. It's fun!
    "Sit!"
    Yeah, that went well.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Surprisingly there have been several funny lines so far in this. I'm enjoying myself, it's been long enough since I played the original that while some things are kind of familiar I don't remember exactly what to do.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    How come nobody on the internet is talking about this game? Is it because they didn't advertise the release date at all? In any case I need spoilers (mid-game):
    How do I make the antidote to the curse? I'm almost out of time to beat my head against this and nobody on the internet knows. I'm in the castle library and it seems like the books are hinting at various ingredients but I still can't figure out what to do.

Also seems like the reviews are pretty mediocre and I can see why, but it's definitely worthwhile if you're a big Shadowgate fan. Most of its flaws are related to it trying too hard to recreate the original game's bullshit.

Zek on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Found it - turns out the Steam forums are pretty active. Steps:
    Use the spell from the library to quiet the storm.
    Look in the main banquet hall for the third skull.
    Place it in the main entrance to power the castle, then return to the laboratory next to the library.
    Use the ingredients listed in the book in the library desk: mushroom, white tear flower, seed flower. Finish with Myxx spell.

Zek on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I totally forgot this existed until I ran across it at PAX with a discount code. It's super nostalgic but actually punishes you for treating some of the puzzles like the original game. I'm glad I picked it up.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Thread Arise.

Just wanted to say a certain goblin can kiss my butt: You're not supposed to be able to die in these! Never played the original, obviously.
    Executing him after sucker punching him was oddly satisfying, though.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Thread Arise.

Just wanted to say a certain goblin can kiss my butt: You're not supposed to be able to die in these!

what?
    Never played the original, obviously.

Oooooooooh.....

Yeah, the only game I can think of where you're given less direction on what to do and how to do it is Infocom's Hacker.

But yeah, expect to die. A Lot.

First action for every room should be saving.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    First action BEFORE a new room should be saving.

I'm kind of dreading destroying something useful like it mentioned and getting stuck now, too. Can't see them allowing that, though!

Also:
    I can't help but think taking the thorn away from the distracted Wizard is bad for Mr. Wizard. Odd he doesn't notice.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    First action BEFORE a new room should be saving.

I'm kind of dreading destroying something useful like it mentioned and getting stuck now, too. Can't see them allowing that, though!

Also:
    I can't help but think taking the thorn away from the distracted Wizard is bad for Mr. Wizard. Odd he doesn't notice.

oh are you in for a treat...

(This is based off the assumption that this is purely a graphical update of the Amega/NES game with no change to the mechanics.)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Seems they tweaked it on the "normal" mode not to do that. I ended up with a ton of useless stuff it seems and nothing needed was MIA. Though, toward the end the game defeated me and I FAQed 75% it from the crystal puzzle on.

Game needed to A)fix the map not scrolling half the time bug b)let you port to rooms you've been to already.