As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unreal Tournament: Free edition. PA 2k4 server on Main page.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Games and Technology
Epic unveiled that they are making a free game in collaboration with the community. The game will be built with the fans and a small development team on the new unreal tournament that is Free and not free to play.

Epic stated that it wants the development to be as transparent as can be, and is aiming for an in game store that mimics Team Fortress 2. Users will also (like TF2) be able to develop items that can be put up on the shop for every player to have in reach.

“Let’s do something radical and make this game together, in the open, and for all of us,” Epic says in a newly published blog post.

Diehard Unreal Tournament fans will be pleased to hear that the new game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS, and development will be focused on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Later on in development, the new game will (hopefully) have VR support Via the occulus.

More can be read on this Forbes article.

More about PA Unreal Tournament
If you're playing Unreal or UT99, here's a few things you might want to know:
  • GameSpy is shutting all their shit down on May 31. This includes their masterservers, which will affect ALL Unreal series games, though Epic are apparently working to fix this. In any case, you can find a bunch of masterservers to use for Unreal and UT99 here.
  • For Unreal, you may want to grab the latest community patch. It fixes stuff, adds updated video and audio backends, gets the game up and running on Linux, etc.
  • For UT99, make sure you're running patch 451b and have the latest UTGLR renderers (latest GL renderer is 3.7 - scroll down a bit - and the latest D3D9 driver is r13). Once these are installed, DELETE ALL VISUAL C++ RUNTIMES IN THE SYSTEM FOLDER, as they're outdated and can cause UnrealEd and/or UCC to break. You may also need to install the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit and create/install a database that forces the game to run on one core, as UE1 wasn't designed with multiple cores in mind.
  • You fight like Nali.

PA UT2k4 Team deathmatch server:
Host: Finlack.com
Password: what the forums usually use.

Voice: Penny Arcade Teamspeak

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I just saw this. That's pretty cool of Epic to do.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I use github for my classes, its pretty solid for anyone with an ounce of programming experience.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    urahonky wrote: »
    I just saw this. That's pretty epic of them to do.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Awesome.... but the development starts *today*, so I don't expect to be playing this for a long time.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I just hope players don't feel like they have cement shoes like in ut3. Also something that is better visually than the fugly gears of war style graphics

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    It's like reading a press release from the Epic I used to know and love. Did this ship hit 88mph on our way to Ketchikan or something?

Put me in the "extremely hype" category. The UT community has always been absurdly talented and dedicated and I can't wait to see what sort of awesome shit they cook up.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I want to accept this apology but I don't know if they mean it yet.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    My hype thrusters are at maximum.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »
    I want to accept this apology but I don't know if they mean it yet.
    Cast aside your doubt, let the hype flow through you.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    This is the best video game news in years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    More detailed info https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Unreal_Tournament

Looks like we might be able to play early versions sooner than I thought.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Kind of neat. I'd be more hyped if I liked Unreal more than Quake and if Quake hadn't already given out its source code, like, a decade ago or whatever. But still, this is cool.

• Options
    Kind of neat. I'd be more hyped if I liked Unreal more than Quake and if Quake hadn't already given out its source code, like, a decade ago or whatever. But still, this is cool.

What does liking a game that came out in 1996 more than a game that came out in 1998 have anything to do with being excited for a game that's coming out in the future?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    this sounds absolutely amazing

I don't want to jump on the hype train, unfortunately I'm already on it and 3 stops in

Amazing. Looking forward to this so much!

Ut was once one of my favourite PC games

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I still keep UT2k4 installed for whenever my man shooting skills get rusty. A few rounds of UT always does wonders to get me back into fighting shape.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

What does liking a game that came out in 1996 more than a game that came out in 1998 have anything to do with being excited for a game that's coming out in the future?
    Well, the movement feel in the respective engines (Unreal vs idTech) have been consistent more or less the entire time and I doubt UE4 is going to change any of that.

• Options
    There's always that one random Quake guy, jeez.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Makes a lot of sense. UT has lived and died by its community support, and the base games have basically been packages of code and assets for the mod community to bend to their whims. Might as well let that community in at the ground level. Really looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

It's okay, TychoCelchuuu seems to have come to terms with his disability. :bz
    I love you Tycho, please don't hit me

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular

At least it didn't have to be me this time.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I'm kind of wary with the "free" tag, but good or bad it's going to be many years till this is out.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular

I like both series actually. The UT99/Quake 3 era was great, though I'm not going to lie both franchises went to crap. UT2k3 wasn't nearly as good as UT99. UT2004's addition of Onslaught really split the community. They should have just kept Unreal Tournament a traditional DM arena shooter and gone off and done their Battlefield UT model in a completely different game. Hilariously they had that game, Unreal 2 and it's XMP mode was a vastly better "Unreal with large maps, vehicles, that is trying hard to be battlefield" than Onslaught ever was. Half the game modes they had sucked as well, invasion, Bombing Run, Double Domination, Vehicle CTF, to say nothing of the moronic mutators all over the servers for noobs (I'm looking at you instagib + low grav + 135% speed, aka Noob Tournament). And UT2007/UT3 was just a debacle from the word go and by the time it got back off it's feet... well it was too late. This isn't to say Quake didn't screw up as well, Quake 4 tripped over it's own dick on release and never really recovered from it, it was hilarious how unfinished that game was on release.

I just don't trust Epic not to screw this up, because the franchise can't be fixed. If they go with the UT99/UT3 movement style the 2k3/2k4 fans will hate it, if they go with the 2k3/2k4 style the UT/99/UT3 fans will hate it. Same for weapon switching speeds and all the other basics. If they leave in Onslaught and Vehicle CTF they will shatter the community into two factions again, if they take them out fans of those will scream like stuck pigs. There are too many places where pleasing one group of fans means making sure the other half will hate the product and start burning the franchise in effigy on Youtube all over again and deliberately working with clan ELF to create cheats and hacks for it.

Quake, though it screwed up as well, does not have that problem. It never splintered the community, never screwed with it's movement and weapon swaps to a massive extent, and never picked up the crack pipe of vehicles as a crutch to sell the same game twice to the same people. So I have some hope the series can be salvaged.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    First of all, as much as I loved UT99, I still really liked 2k3/4 (never really got around to UT3 for some reason). It isn't a one or the other situation. Also, I played a buttload of bombing run.

And second, instagib and low grav are both fantastic. Low grav, in particular, is almost always fun in any multiplayer game (see Chivalry).

Unrelated, but I really hope someone makes a new version of Deathball. That was such an amazing mod.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    First of all, as much as I loved UT99, I still really liked 2k3/4 (never really got around to UT3 for some reason). It isn't a one or the other situation. Also, I played a buttload of bombing run.

And second, instagib and low grav are both fantastic. Low grav, in particular, is almost always fun in any multiplayer game (see Chivalry).

Unrelated, but I really hope someone makes a new version of Deathball. That was such an amazing mod.

I'm not disputing that that low grav and insta gib aren't fantastic fun, just that it takes vastly less skill. I loved the crap out of UT2k3 bombing run in IG/LG/135%. I hated it in 2k4 because they removed the ability to translocate after the ball. Bouncing it off the walls and teleporting to midair to make rebounds was amazingly good fun. However the changes to movement did cause a lot of people to stick with UT99 and never move over. And normal weapons 1v1/4v4TDM/5v5CTF took vastly more skill, had vastly better players, and were the professional modes. IG/LG has always been the short bus of UT.

I also liked assault, but that was also goofy and prone to mass idiocy.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah, Bombing Run was fantastic.

GET DUNKED.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

I'm not disputing that that low grav and insta gib aren't fantastic fun, just that it takes vastly less skill. I loved the crap out of UT2k3 bombing run in IG/LG/135%. I hated it in 2k4 because they removed the ability to translocate after the ball. Bouncing it off the walls and teleporting to midair to make rebounds was amazingly good fun. However the changes to movement did cause a lot of people to stick with UT99 and never move over. And normal weapons 1v1/4v4TDM/5v5CTF took vastly more skill, had vastly better players, and were the professional modes. IG/LG has always been the short bus of UT.

I also liked assault, but that was also goofy and prone to mass idiocy.

As broken as it was, I fucking loved assault (in UT99, that is; the 2k4 version was poo). It was fun being part of that community as they discovered more and more ways to break the game (rocket and hammer launching).

• Options
    Someone should fire up a UT99 Assault server... I wonder if I have the old .nix binaries around here.

• Options
    edited May 2014

I like both series actually. The UT99/Quake 3 era was great, though I'm not going to lie both franchises went to crap. UT2k3 wasn't nearly as good as UT99. UT2004's addition of Onslaught really split the community. They should have just kept Unreal Tournament a traditional DM arena shooter and gone off and done their Battlefield UT model in a completely different game. Hilariously they had that game, Unreal 2 and it's XMP mode was a vastly better "Unreal with large maps, vehicles, that is trying hard to be battlefield" than Onslaught ever was. Half the game modes they had sucked as well, invasion, Bombing Run, Double Domination, Vehicle CTF, to say nothing of the moronic mutators all over the servers for noobs (I'm looking at you instagib + low grav + 135% speed, aka Noob Tournament). And UT2007/UT3 was just a debacle from the word go and by the time it got back off it's feet... well it was too late. This isn't to say Quake didn't screw up as well, Quake 4 tripped over it's own dick on release and never really recovered from it, it was hilarious how unfinished that game was on release.

I just don't trust Epic not to screw this up, because the franchise can't be fixed. If they go with the UT99/UT3 movement style the 2k3/2k4 fans will hate it, if they go with the 2k3/2k4 style the UT/99/UT3 fans will hate it. Same for weapon switching speeds and all the other basics. If they leave in Onslaught and Vehicle CTF they will shatter the community into two factions again, if they take them out fans of those will scream like stuck pigs. There are too many places where pleasing one group of fans means making sure the other half will hate the product and start burning the franchise in effigy on Youtube all over again and deliberately working with clan ELF to create cheats and hacks for it.

Quake, though it screwed up as well, does not have that problem. It never splintered the community, never screwed with it's movement and weapon swaps to a massive extent, and never picked up the crack pipe of vehicles as a crutch to sell the same game twice to the same people. So I have some hope the series can be salvaged.

I was just giving Tycho shit for laughs. >_>

I played quite a bit of Quake 3 (eventually with CPMA) as it's a much tighter feeling game. UT is just a bit closer to my heart due to having played it first and precisely because of the variety and I've played every version in the franchise and always had a ton of fun (save for UT3, but no one liked UT3).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

I was just giving Tycho shit for laughs. >_>

I played quite a bit of Quake 3 (eventually with CPMA) as it's a much tighter feeling game. UT is just a bit closer to my heart due to having played it first and precisely because of the variety and I've played every version in the franchise and always had a ton of fun (save for UT3, but no one liked UT3).

I always felt Quake was the better game where UT was the better modding platform. Though I'm not even sure that's entirely correct, as id open sourced their stuff far before Epic did. I don't know, I guess I felt the competition was better in Quake but the sheer volume of stuff that came out in UT due to the vast reach of the Unreal Engine was it's own thing.

I started with Wolf 3d and Doom over LAN though. Personally nothing tickles my pickle like Quake World DM with mid air rockets. But I have a huge soft spot for shock combos.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think the feel of Quake 3 was better than UT, but UT was a much MUCH more feature rich game.

Wolf 3D didn't have a multiplayer mode, IIRC.

• Options
    I think the feel of Quake 3 was better than UT, but UT was a much MUCH more feature rich game.

Wolf 3D didn't have a multiplayer mode, IIRC.

I meant Doom for LAN and Wolf for first FPS, I fucked up the phrasing.

I'd agree with UT being more feature rich, I just think it expanded beyond what it could handle towards the end. Though I still have Quake 1-4 and UT99 -UT3 installed.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I hear people talk about this game, and I think I'm the only person who loved the bio rifle.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I hear people talk about this game, and I think I'm the only person who loved the bio rifle.
    I liked it because it was silly as hell

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    bio rifle/goo gun are great for area denial.

• Options
    The bio rifle was fine, there were just plenty of better weapons.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular

I used to enjoy running around with a full charge just to nail people as they turned corners

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    The best weapon was the impact hammer. I'd often hop on a DM server, change my name to HAMMER_TIME and run around turning people to paste.

• Options

Nah, I love that thing. I always had an unusual knack for nailing hard shots with the full charge globs. That shit never fails to make people mad as all hell.

My favorite weapons for a long time were the dual enforcers, but I also am a huge fan of HKBOs so go figure.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    You guys are nuts. I used to put the bio rifle at the lowest priority, even over the melee.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    urahonky wrote: »
    You guys are nuts. I used to put the bio rifle at the lowest priority, even over the melee.

Sometimes min/maxing and playing as efficiently as possible has to take a back seat to melting someone with a big green glob of snot.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png