As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, May 9, 2014 - Real Science

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    Sonic_mnaSonic_mna Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    It looks like a titillating mix of Pokemon and a coin pusher arcade game ... intriguing

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    The middle panel made me laugh and it'll probably pop into my head a few more times throughout the day and it'll make me start snickering for no apparent reason.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    The middle panel made me laugh and it'll probably pop into my head a few more times throughout the day and it'll make me start snickering for no apparent reason.

i was doing exactly this all night around my friends, that fuckin middle panel!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    1lKmQ8M.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Joshofalltrades wins by default.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The middle panel is pretty much a softball lob to all the comic editors on the boards.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    This and the My Diiiiiiiiiiiick panel best be seen together.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I think puppies are needed somewhere in that diagram.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Sega has tons of games like these in arcades in Japan, coin pushing games with elaborate digital game aspects to them. There is a Monster Hunter one that seems very popular.

I never expected them to make a digital phone version of them though.

I am sure it will print money.

• Options
    xellas84xellas84 Registered User new member
    This game is about 95% identical to another phone app game called Puzzles and Dragons. The only, and I mean ONLY difference is that PAD uses an orb matching system similar (but infinitely superior) to Bejeweled instead of a randomized coin pusher. Other than that, the friend system, the monster system, fusion/evolution system, stamina system... all of that is essentially identical. Oh, and it's FAR more stable too (I gave up on Dragon Coins after the 5th time the game crashed after clearing a level, giving me no rewards and still taking the stamina).

If you enjoyed this game even remotely, you are doing yourself a disservice to not look into Puzzles and Dragons.

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Except if, like me, you get fed up with the orb matching system and it just starts feeling like work. No more P&D for me (for now at least), but Dragon Coins seems to be scratching an itch...

• Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    I feel like Xellas84 is a crack dealer standing outside a rehab clinic, but he's right. Puzzle and Dragons has had this locked down for over a year with all sorts of metagame strategies that go way beyond just orb pattern recognition. www.puzzledragonx.com But as Jerry said, DON'T DO IT.
    Now excuse me, I'm going to sit here and wait in this corner until D3 publishes a non-F2P PuzzleQuest.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I have zero games installed on my phone, but this one has me seriously interested in looking into changing that situation, solely because those coin pusher games in arcades were my favorite redemption games of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Isn't P&D just Puzzle Quest with an endless Pokemon metagame grind over it?

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    I spent about £9 in ten ps on one of those coin pushers to win a £10 note once. Totally worth it! They are my favourite arcade game. The 2p ones are probably best, as you can play for longer with the same amount of money. I used to just hover around them, waiting for a lucky fall or a machine to appear to be in a good state before pouncing on it...

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    I spent about £9 in ten ps on one of those coin pushers to win a £10 note once. Totally worth it! They are my favourite arcade game. The 2p ones are probably best, as you can play for longer with the same amount of money. I used to just hover around them, waiting for a lucky fall or a machine to appear to be in a good state before pouncing on it...

I wonder if those machines are rigged like claw machines are. Like they push a variable distance, and push a bit less far with each coin you drop. If there wasn't some trick, wouldn't it become a zero sum at some point?

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Showsni wrote: »

I wonder if those machines are rigged like claw machines are. Like they push a variable distance, and push a bit less far with each coin you drop. If there wasn't some trick, wouldn't it become a zero sum at some point?

They have open sides, so a not insignificant amount fall off into the ether, thus giving the house its cut.

My wife loves those machines and I enjoy them a fair amount also. I'm trying out Dragon Coins now and having fun with it. It's a nice change of pace after having been burnt out on PAD before.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Sad news, anyone who might still be playing this game: it's shutting down.

Poor Tycho's prostate.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I... I have no memory whatsoever of this comic.