As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Checking Account with free/low fees (because wtf Wells Fargo)

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
i know there was a thread about this a while ago, but i can't seem to find it. i'm looking for recommendations on a good bank to get a checking account, preferably with physical branches we can go to.

long story short, during a recent move, we had to open a checking/savings account combo with Wells Fargo, because no bank was willing to draft us a cashier's check (for a lease deposit) without opening an account at said bank. Wells Fargo happened to be the "lucky winner".

a few months later, we're maintaining the min balance to keep the accounts fee free, but not happy.

we'd be fine joining a credit union, but we're having difficulty figuring out which credit unions are solid and trustworthy. i know there were a couple of websites out there with good reviews, but my googling is not turning up anything i think i can use.

we're in the East Bay/Oakland, CA area, but any bank in the San Francisco area should work as well. any suggestions?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Honestly, any bank or credit union that has stayed open through the 2008-9 crisis is going to be "solid and trustworthy" in the sense of "probably not going to disappear with your money".

For a CU, just make sure they are a NCUA member (this is like FDIC for credit unions) and then narrow it down by looking at branch locations, savings account rates, etc. I don't know the situation in that area well enough to make a specific recommendation, though.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Chase has no account maintenance fee if you have direct deposit, and no ATM fees for their own ATMs (which are plentiful)

I've had them for about four years with zero complaints.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    If you can keep a balance over 10k, using the E*Trade bank can give you amazing interest rates and fee-free usage of ANY ATM.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Bank of America I believe offers free checking with direct deposit. Don't think I've paid a single fee since setting that up with my work.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    SF Fire Credit Union is stellar in that area, but they have very few locations.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I found my credit union (Wescom) through the NCUA site. Searching in "Oakland, CA" found 22 credit unions that have member services and/or ATMs.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Often times Credit Unions will have share branching services where you can use other Credit Unions ATM's at no charge.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    I've been using schwab's investor checking since I moved to somewhere that chase didn't have atms.

No complaints, and I can use any ATM for free (they reimburse the fee).

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, I have Wells Fargo checking with no fees and no complaints. For the big banks it has more to due with your circumstances when you started your account and how proactive you were when negotiating to open the account. Most banks will have fee-free banking options but you have to argue your way there (especially if you arent coming in with a large balance).

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    what's complicating things is that i've got accounts and direct deposit set up with USAA, and i want to keep those as is.

the new local account is really for when we need to go in to a physical branch for things, and perhaps for having a good bank relationship down the road if/when we look into buying a house.

i guess i can suck it up and set up my direct deposit with the new bank...

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    what's complicating things is that i've got accounts and direct deposit set up with USAA, and i want to keep those as is.

the new local account is really for when we need to go in to a physical branch for things, and perhaps for having a good bank relationship down the road if/when we look into buying a house.

i guess i can suck it up and set up my direct deposit with the new bank...

Uh, if you have USAA you're probably not going to be happy with any real bank. I've been USAA-only for several years now and have never needed a physical location for anything. If you need a cashier's check, they'll send you one FedEx overnight for $13 ($5 check fee + $8 overnight fee). I don't know what else you'd need a physical bank for besides depositing cash in your account.

And having a "relationship" with a bank doesn't mean anything come mortgage time. USAA has better rates than all the big banks, but you can beat them if you shop for a rate through a broker.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    hrmm, maybe i'll just open another account at USAA!

depositing checks with USAA is only a minor pain as the UPS Easy Deposit is pretty convenient. wish we could use the mobile phone deposit, but that's limited only to military vets or their own families. i was lucky enough to open up some accounts before they limited access...

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    If you absolutely want a physical location, go with a local credit union.

The one I have has multiple branches throughout the city, and if I'm ever not near one, they will refund any ATM fees charged by other banks (Up to $30 a month), have an app just like any other large bank for mobile bank, and, well...just about everything else.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I still say check out SF Fire Credit Union. They have the mobile deposit and no ATM fees for any ATM. Also, great candy at their central location.