As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dual monitor/Console setup

TubeTube Registered User admin
Hello chaps

I'm currently looking at improving my work setup by getting a second monitor. That's easy, obviously. What I'd really like though is the following:

A. A second monitor...
B. That I can also plug my 360 into...
C. And switch between the two with a minimum of fuss

Is this a thing I can do? I'm not particularly tech savvy, but this dream doesn't seem unachievable. I'm guessing that sound will be an issue.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014
    Something like this should do the trick, though others may have better options.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VN247H-23-6-inch-Widescreen-Multimedia-1920x1080/dp/B00A4415KG/

It has shitty speakers included in the monitor, which would work if you don't care much about the quality of the sound on your 360. If you want to run sound from your 360 to some better speaker system through your computer, we'll need to know more about your speakers and your computer's sound setup I think.

edit: oh, I guess I also assumed that you have a 360 that has HDMI... although I think there's a VGA cord for the older 360s that would work if you don't.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    The speakers I have for my computer are just shitty £13 ones that work fine, but I wouldn't object to getting a second set for use on that monitor if the sound is untenable. Thanks a lot man, that looks like exactly what I'm after!

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    edit: oh, I guess I also assumed that you have a 360 that has HDMI... although I think there's a VGA cord for the older 360s that would work if you don't.

For older 360's without HDMI it's better to go for monitors with Component input as VGA is limited resolution wise with the 360. Although don't ask about the details as it has been a while I just know it works. Note Component is not to be mixed up with Composite as it is two different things.

There is also a possible issue if one goes with a 16:10 format monitor as it is important to get one that will not stretch 16:9 images, otherwise one gets a distorted image when using the 360.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    My 360 is HDMI, I only bought it a year or so ago so I should be good

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There's a dongle (came with the old Elites, not sure if it's packed in anymore) that gives you RCA stereo and TOSLink audio output when using HDMI.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum