As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overworked and underpaid in the [Job Thread]

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Everyone needs a single sign-on solution. Insert card into slot, enter 4-8 digit pin, bam! Don't need to enter passwords for a million different accounts

Until they start giving you a different card for each system. And each one with different PIN requirements! Fun times.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    They're cutting off our power to do tie-ins for our new construction, so I get to take off a bit early today. Everything's coming up Zimbra!

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    The civil rights act was signed fifty years ago

On one hand yay

On the other ugh it's only been fifty years

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Everyone needs a single sign-on solution. Insert card into slot, enter 4-8 digit pin, bam! Don't need to enter passwords for a million different accounts

Until they start giving you a different card for each system. And each one with different PIN requirements! Fun times.

I type my password in to unlock my laptop's disk encryption.
    I then type my password in to log in.
    Then again to ssh to my desktop
    Then one last time plus sso card code to get access to stuff

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I so look forward to our lunchtime games. Today was 9 player resistance. I was the spy... and came very close to winning, except that my fellow player gave me & her away accidentally, and then she forgot who the third spy was.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm, just got offered a management position, which I'm taking. Here we go, living the middle manager in a fortune 100 dream.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I so look forward to our lunchtime games. Today was 9 player resistance. I was the spy... and came very close to winning, except that my fellow player gave me & her away accidentally, and then she forgot who the third spy was.
    What do I have to do to get a job with fellow gamers?

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    God save me from people who try to chastise a random accountant through the website.

Dear Sir,

You are a faceless entity that I will never meet and I could give two shits about being 'ashamed' that your flight got cancelled because of gale force winds.

Sit on it and rotate.

Yours Truly,

Deedubs

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Work in a high-stress IT job at a state institution where you get underpaid for the level of work you are provided? I dunno...

Today was 4 members of our Infrastructure Apps (servers) team, two Business Analysts/project managers, a manager of our endpoint support, and the manager of the overall Infrastructure, Operations and Networking unit. I'm personally on Enterprise Applications (Line of Business Apps), so all in all it was a good time. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Come work with me. I'm hiring for two positions right now and my team regularly games together.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    Ok, yesterday my tooth broke leaving the nerve exposed. Pain at a level I had not experienced before.

Not only did my boss let me leave early, he called around to find someone to pull it for me. He is also letting me leave early tomorrow to get it pulled when we already have one of our three office staff off.

Sometimes it is nice to work at a small business.

Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

Come work with me. I'm hiring for two positions right now and my team regularly games together.

What do you do?

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

What do you do?

I'm the director of education and technical marketing for a software company in NYC. I've been with the company since it was about 100 people and I do product management and evangelism/technical marketing, and I created our internal sales training organization.

I'm hiring someone to help manage our inside sales training team as well as a pre-sales support person whose role isn't fully defined yet but will need to be pretty well versed in information security and IT as well as enterprise software sales.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    Not only did my boss let me leave early, he called around to find someone to pull it for me.

Really thought you meant he shouted round the office for someone who happened to have a pair of pliers handy.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

What do you do?

I'm the director of education and technical marketing for a software company in NYC. I've been with the company since it was about 100 people and I do product management and evangelism/technical marketing, and I created our internal sales training organization.

I'm hiring someone to help manage our inside sales training team as well as a pre-sales support person whose role isn't fully defined yet but will need to be pretty well versed in information security and IT as well as enterprise software sales.
    I'll send my application over - I'm a former teacher currently doing tech support. More importantly, I generally win at Ticket to Ride, I can play a mean game of Fluxx and my Catan skills are improving by leaps and bounds.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Wheeeee day off! Manager training went well and I'm being scheduled three(!) days off next week.

Of course considering I've had to work a 14+ hour shift every week for the last three weeks... we'll see about that.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    I keep trying to scare people out of taking the job i'll be over-seeing in hopes that I'll weed everyone out so that only the most grizzled bad-ass remains.

• Options

What do you do?

I'll send my application over - I'm a former teacher currently doing tech support. More importantly, I generally win at Ticket to Ride, I can play a mean game of Fluxx and my Catan skills are improving by leaps and bounds.

I think our next big team game will be Galaxy Trucker. We had a great afternoon of Cosmic Encounter and Coup the other day.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Interview in 3 hours.
    After having this job for just over 6 months, this is the next sizable step up.
    I'm not so sure about going for the next step with only 6 months experience. But if the support is right, and the pay is right, and it gets me out of being on call 24/7, it could be worth it. Probably more stressful though.
    On the other hand, my recruiter is also trying to get me an interview that may be a step back, but would probably just be a lateral move to a company that isn't going to shut my office down in another 6 months. Could mean less stress and again, not being on 24/7.

Ugh. The things we have to do.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So I got a voice mail from the place I interviewed in a while back and I'm not sure if it's leading to a job offer. It was basically an apology for taking so long to get back to me about their decision and wanting to know if I'm still interested in moving forward.

I don't know if they're just trying to figure out if their initial candidate pool has dropped down or if they're going to make me an offer.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I don't think they'd be calling unless they were interested in hiring you

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    So I got a voice mail from the place I interviewed in a while back and I'm not sure if it's leading to a job offer. It was basically an apology for taking so long to get back to me about their decision and wanting to know if I'm still interested in moving forward.

I don't know if they're just trying to figure out if their initial candidate pool has dropped down or if they're going to make me an offer.

Don't worry about it for now.

Now is for: Are you interested in moving forward?

If the answer is yes, then tell them so and you'll find out where you land and what's going on.
    If the answer is no, then you don't need to worry about it.

Easy peasy for now.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Companies aren't in the habit of calling around people they don't want to hire.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    This is the job that I wasn't really interested in, but I guess it would be irresponsible to at least not see what they are willing to offer me financially.

At least then I can make an informed decision like an adult or something.

• Options
    Late night session to work out the last bugs in our automation process here. We're right at the edge, then we start loading data for test cases.

... And we get told our DBA is leaving for a week for vacation and we just found out about it today. Le sigh.

• Options
    By the way, y'all are awesome for being psyched for me. Just wanted to say that.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, just got offered a management position, which I'm taking. Here we go, living the middle manager in a fortune 100 dream.

@schuss‌

Yay! Congratulations! :D

r7w5.jpg

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    I did documentation today! whoo!

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Tomorrow, in I'm Glad My Position Is Interior-Facing, we have two cruise ships docking at the museum, one of which is the Queen Mary 2, which is rather larger than the museum itself.

It's gonna be hella touristy. I'm gonna be comfortably hiding in my cubicle..

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Time to buy a BMW 5 series so you can look the part.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    JoeUser wrote: »

@schuss‌

r7w5.jpg

FUCK YEAH.

RE: BMW
    I drive a Subaru. Basically everyone else I know drives a BMW. I have zero desire to pay for a BMW. (Other guy I know who was in this level had an M5).

schuss on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It's always weird when a media person calls and I recognize their name. I always want to say "I see you on teevee box!"

It's especially weird when it's national media.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

@schuss‌

r7w5.jpg

FUCK YEAH.

I drive a Subaru. Basically everyone else I know drives a BMW. I have zero desire to pay for a BMW. (Other guy I know who was in this level had an M5).

Clearly you should buy an Audi RS6 Avant anyway.

• Options

@schuss‌

r7w5.jpg

FUCK YEAH.

Clearly you should buy an Audi RS6 Avant anyway.

I hate how the current Audis drive. So vague. Couple that with the electronics gremlins, and no thanks. I would really love a real WRX or turbo legacy wagon with a 6 speed though. Finding good cars with sticks is damn hard these days.

• Options
    My BMW is 13 years old, fully paid off, and cheap to insure. Every time I think about getting a new one I force myself to spend a week thinking about having a car payment again and instead I buy new floor mats or something.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am going to be so happy in 2 months when I no longer have car payments.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hello, job thread. I am posting from Crazy Town.

The muzak in my building has been stuck on the same five songs for nearly two weeks.

I just want you to know that you make me feel so young, job thread. If I only had a brain, I could do something about this chartreus(sp?)!

Edit: you leave me breathless, too.

GoldenSeducer on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've paid everything off.

The only thing I have is monthly bills like rent, cell phone, car insurance, utilities.

It's pretty god damn nice.

Sometimes I think about getting a different car, but naaaah.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We had everything paid off. Then we went and had a kid.

Hahahaha. I'll be working till I die.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got my Sonic Screwdriver. It turns TVs on and off from a ridiculous distance.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.