As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    So as a reward for me saying "OK, you can get out of the friendzone, let's try dating some more," in response to her impassioned e-mail plea to get out of the friendzone, I'm getting a play-by-play via text of a date she's on tonight. She really likes him and it's going well.

Women be cray.

People are so much better at dating when they're already in a relationship.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Pfffffffffft false.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Women be cray.

It's true, here is a selfie to prove it:
    Signal+Crayfish.jpg

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    But seriously it's your own fault for mistrusting your instincts. That never leads to good things.

I go to the box two minutes ... I feel shame.

• Options
    But seriously it's your own fault for mistrusting your instincts. That never leads to good things.

I go to the box two minutes ... I feel shame.

It's not the emotion you need, but it is the emotion you deserve.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Welp... just messaged a girl for the first time since september.
    She likes Whedon and Who and country music.

Well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hey...Johnny Cash is okay.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Johnny Cash is amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Well obviously. Johnny Cash is so much better than Joss Whedon. :P

Also, this creepy woman is still texting me... If I end up as a bone wind chime please direct CSI: Atlanta to my OKCupid profile.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »

Sadly I think when people say "country music" they're thinking something more like Garth Brooks and less like Johnny Cash.

• Options
    Most of the time, anyways.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Sadly I think when people say "country music" they're thinking something more like Garth Brooks and less like Johnny Cash.

Boo hisss

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I think they mean less like Garth Brooks and more like Taylor Swift and The Band Perry these days.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    What the fuck is a band-perry?

"One beer" doesn't even specify an amount of liquid, much less a dose of active ingredient. Is it supposed to be like one of those old laws about not allowing a moose on the sidewalk or whatever?
    That said, I stare judgementally when somebody tries to drive, claiming to be "only buzzed". Sure you are, toughguy.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Many people conflate "Country and Western" music, but they are actually two distinct styles:

"Country Music" is sung solo, and is about someone else's partner.
    "Western Music" is sung in harmony, and is about someone else's horse.

• Options
    eelektrik wrote: »

I think they mean less like Garth Brooks and more like Taylor Swift and The Band Perry these days.

I am choking on my hatred

• Options
    Archangle wrote: »
    Many people conflate "Country and Western" music, but they are actually two distinct styles:

Coulda just said... Nah, not gonna go for the cheap joke. Gonna take the high road on this one.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »

Coulda just said... Nah, not gonna go for the cheap joke. Gonna take the high road on this one.
    I thought mine WAS the cheap joke...

• Options
    Well, it was gonna be how "partner" and "horse" were the same thing, so you could have just said that the difference was number of singers.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    ron wrote: »
    I sometimes get blocked for absolutely no reason on POF. I send a single, non-insulting message and then I'm blocked. Does anyone else experience this? It seems bizarre to me. I assume that they're blocking everyone they're not interested in but it still feels insulting.

Post an example message. You may be being creepy or somesuch without realising.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I sometimes get blocked for absolutely no reason on POF. I send a single, non-insulting message and then I'm blocked. Does anyone else experience this? It seems bizarre to me. I assume that they're blocking everyone they're not interested in but it still feels insulting.
    I've experienced that with one girl. Well, maybe more than one, but only one that I noticed. Meh, like you said, they're blocking everyone they're not interested in, so moving on.

It was only noteworthy for me because the girl also selected me in the "want to meet" feature. After blocking me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    It was only noteworthy for me because the girl also selected me in the "want to meet" feature. After blocking me.

There was a girl that I completely screwed it with. She was incredibly nice though, and replied to more of my messages than what the average person would.

Confused the crap outta me because she did the "want to meet" thing after I had screwed up and she wasn't replying. Probably just an accidental thing or didn't realize it was me from the picture.

After a great deal of creepiness on my behalf (it was one of those things I didn't fully realize at the time, but now I'm ashamed of), she still replied to a question I asked pertaining to a subject she had more knowledge of than me, which I managed to turn into a half-assed conversation. And that was that.

Trouble is I may very well run into her come November...

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    BEAR CLAWS

Cheating. Your avatar is never not appropriate for your posts.

Bobble on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Bloop bloop. Bloop bloop, bloop. Bloop bloop-bloop bloop bloop.

Bloop. Bloop BLOOP bloop.

Blooping bloop.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Pointing out things like that can be more of a revelation about how much information people actually are giving on the internet without meaning to. Most people do not react well to that. I wouldn't recommend using it as a strategy to get to know someone.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I would find that creepy if I received it. Don't elaborate on your stalker skills. A message should only reference things either directly stated in the profile or things directly stated in photo captions. The end.

• Options
    Welp, as a girl, I'm telling you that I would find that creepy. You earlier were wondering why you get blocked for seemingly no reason. I'm saying your message comes across as creepy and slightly stalkery. That's why you're getting blocked. You may have some success with it, but I would say with fair certainty that when you are getting blocked, it's because you seem like a stalker who's trying to deduce where girls live from random photo details. Just saying.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Wait, because she mentions something about a city in Norway and has a picture of herself in Norway, it's creepy to ask if she's from Norway? Or was it something else that came off as creepy?

Because if a girl has pictures of herself at the Golden Gate Bridge, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask if she ever lived in San Fran or was it a vacation.

• Options
    Having information they didn't think they gave you and throwing it back at them? Creepy.

Doesn't matter if it's obvious, as I mentioned people don't realize how much information they leak and it freaks many out.

You asked why they block you for such messages, well.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

"Hi. Nice profile. Are you from Norway? How awesome is it that I guessed correctly? The clues were subtle: you mention Lilyhammer and you're in front of fjords in one of your photos. Columbo himself couldn't do better."

Maybe a Murder She Wrote fans but you just don't have to reply if you're not interested.

I'm going to give you the best piece of advice you can ever get.

No matter how much you know about another person, don't ever disclose that information (to a woman).

Let her come to you and disclose that information herself.

I had to learn this the hard way, but all I ever wanted to show was that I had taken an interest in the other person. But if she hasn't allowed you to be part of that information, it will come off as creepy or invasive to her privacy (even if it is something totally open on her facebook or similar).

Start out small and prod/lead the conversation towards X if you want to find out more. Don't open with "I saw you do X - tell me about it". She might not be ready for that.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    It's not so much that he asks if she's from Norway (although that's kind of over-the-top since she apparently doesn't say "Oh hey, I live in Lilyhammer/Norway, and it's super great.") as that he then goes on to explain how he scrounged and Columboed his way to a conclusion about her that she apparently did not specify.

Difference: "I saw you mentioned doing X in Lilyhammer. I've never been/been there such and such a time. Were you visiting?" or "I really liked that 3rd picture. Are those fjords behind you? I enjoyed visiting X one time and seeing the fjords/I've always wanted to take a cruise on the fjords myself."

This type of message references something in their profile or picture while using a question to start a conversation. It doesn't show awkwardly specific interest in where a girl lives. Again, unless a girl says, "I adore living in X!" it's a little weird to explain how you gathered she likely lives in X because she mentions a city and has a picture of a thing.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    _Bird__Bird_ Registered User regular
    I send a variation of that message to just about everyone and have had success with it. Most people have blank profiles on POF so it's a struggle to come up with more than "sup dawg". This is a harmless and witty response to this situation.

Generally it's up to the other person in the conversation to decide if you're witty. Just because you think it's harmless and witty, doesn't mean it's being received that way. And given that women are blocking you when you message them it sounds like they don't consider it witty or harmless.

• Options
    Don't ask why people are blocking you if you don't want the answer?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

"Hi. Nice profile. Are you from Norway? How awesome is it that I guessed correctly? The clues were subtle: you mention Lilyhammer and you're in front of fjords in one of your photos. Columbo himself couldn't do better."

Maybe a Murder She Wrote fans but you just don't have to reply if you're not interested.

I'm going to give you the best piece of advice you can ever get.

No matter how much you know about another person, don't ever disclose that information (to a woman).

Let her come to you and disclose that information herself.

I had to learn this the hard way, but all I ever wanted to show was that I had taken an interest in the other person. But if she hasn't allowed you to be part of that information, it will come off as creepy or invasive to her privacy (even if it is something totally open on her facebook or similar).

Start out small and prod/lead the conversation towards X if you want to find out more. Don't open with "I saw you do X - tell me about it". She might not be ready for that.

3lz19pprn7jf.jpg

02a.jpg 64.8K
  • Options
    If somebody has a great message for a woman with a blank profile (the majority of pof) don't keep it to yourself.

What's your favorite type of dead person zombie or ghost?

• Options
    What is your favorite type of inanimate object to be turned into at the end of a first date, wind chimes or woman suit?

No biggie, Ron. Do what works for you. Or keep doing what's not working for you.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    "It puts the lotion on its skin?"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    "Women aren't impressed that you can deduce details of their life they didn't give you, they are uneasy" is a lesson I learned in college. Glad I got that one out of the way early.

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    _Bird_ wrote: »
    What is your favorite type of inanimate object to be turned into at the end of a first date, wind chimes or woman suit?

You can't let them know WHEN you're going to have at them. You need to keep them guessing.

That's psychopath 101!

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    In other news, I had the following exchange with a Tinder match last night:

Him (first message ever): Hey do you want to come over tonight and hang out in my hot tub? Bring a six pack.
    Me: No, thanks.
    Him: Great I'll see you at 8?
    Me: . . .
    Him: Don't forget your bikini.