As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Not sure I'll try Internet dating again after the whole catfish scenario, but may give another shot just a little bit more wary. Don't know how shit like this always happens to me. Anyways, had a question about smoking. I am now a month Tobacco free. I do however use the E-Cigarette. How do you non smokers view this? I guess I put non smoker in those sections and mention that I vape? Or maybe there's an ecigarette option. My doctors office does.

Man I would probably still put smoker myself. You still got the habit and it just seems more honest to say smoker and mention how you're quitting it rather than saying you don't smoke.

• Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Et tu Kupo?

If it cheers you up, she's moving to San Fran at the end of the month. But being the determined lil bugger I am, I'm going to be doing the ol' fly up to SF every other weekend thing. Long distance has never been an obstacle for a moogle with frequent flyer miles.
    Reprising my role as Debbie Downer, I really hope you are being careful here, and that this woman is as obviously, vocally smitten with you as you are with her. By my guess you're about twoish weeks in(?) and you're already talking about her becoming pretty seriously tied down to you during a major transitional period in her life.

I really hope this works out for you, and hopefully I'm just being a pessimist, but I would take the necessary precautions to not put too much pressure on this relationship to succeed, because it it's very hard for relationships to thrive under that pressure.

Holler on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    msmya wrote: »
    Went on my date, at the end of it he said, "So, maybe we'll do this again sometime?" I sort of paused, and said, "... I don't know... we'll see."
    I'm so bad at this.

Please tell me you didn't want a second date lol. Sounds like he was fishing for answers and a little shy about it, but your response would make me think you weren't interested and kill any confidence I had.
    Eh, she did fine and he maybe shouldn't have asked. Unless it's blatantly obvious that there will be a 2nd date, I just indicate interest like "I'll give you a call" without putting the person on the spot for an answer. I've experienced being on the receiving end of a 2nd date question during the date when I wasn't interested and it's ... awkward.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »
    Went on my date, at the end of it he said, "So, maybe we'll do this again sometime?" I sort of paused, and said, "... I don't know... we'll see."
    I'm so bad at this.

Please tell me you didn't want a second date lol. Sounds like he was fishing for answers and a little shy about it, but your response would make me think you weren't interested and kill any confidence I had.
    Eh, she did fine and he maybe shouldn't have asked. Unless it's blatantly obvious that there will be a 2nd date, I just indicate interest like "I'll give you a call" without putting the person on the spot for an answer. I've experienced being on the receiving end of a 2nd date question during the date when I wasn't interested and it's ... awkward.

I certainly won't suggest a second date if I thought it went badly, but if I want there to be one I'm going to make that clear because neither of us are mind readers. She's a big girl, she can handle the stress of turning me down. I'm the one who's getting rejected, feeling bad for her having to do it sounds pretty wimpy to me.

In any case I don't try to set something up then and there, because I don't want to get stood up for a date made under duress. But it's worth putting it out there and offering to work out the specifics later IMO.

• Options
    All of that can be handled with a call/text when you're not right there looking at her expecting a response. The "she's a big girl" excuse is kinda goose-ish, especially if you're much more imposing physically than her.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    All of that can be handled with a call/text when you're not right there looking at her expecting a response. The "she's a big girl" excuse is kinda goose-ish, especially if you're much more imposing physically than her.
    I wouldn't say "goose-ish", but yeah some guys persist in trying to get a "yes" for a second date and it can be pretty intimidating even if they're not being overtly aggressive.

A positive-sounding non-committal response allows for a later "No" via call/text, without the prospect of 100 variations on "Come on, it'll be fun" with no way to physically end the conversation.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

If she's even sort of interested, then an overt suggestion for a second date is going to make her happier than something non-committal like "I'll call you, bye" which could itself be interpreted as disinterest. Following up later to confirm that you meant it doesn't make up for a lackluster first impression. There's nothing socially unacceptable about suggesting a date in person, people have been doing it for millenia.

I've been on the receiving end of it too, and I gave a vague positive response in person and then politely turned her down when she texted later. Yeah it was uncomfortable, but that's dating for you, I certainly didn't begrudge her for it.

Zek on
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    I had a good time. He was nice and wasn't rude or anything, we had a few awkward moments , but I was glad I went out today.

I guess I just don't see myself dating him because our personalities clashed. And I didn't really know what to say when he said , "we should do this again sometime".

Am I supposed to say yes? Or give an honest answer? I didn't know what to say so I said "I don't know"

• Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    He also kept putting himself down a lot of the time during our chit chat phase. :/

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I had a good time. He was nice and wasn't rude or anything, we had a few awkward moments , but I was glad I went out today.

I guess I just don't see myself dating him because our personalities clashed. And I didn't really know what to say when he said , "we should do this again sometime".

Am I supposed to say yes? Or give an honest answer? I didn't know what to say so I said "I don't know"

I think you did fine with the I don't know, sounds like you were unsure anyways. I thought you wanted a second date by the "I'm bad at this" comment which is why I gave my response.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Apparently Tinder is passé and everybody should now be using Happn.

It's exactly the same idea, but it only lets you see people in the immediate vicinity (~250m radius). The idea being that you can use it in situations like "is the Waitress flirting with me?".

Neat idea, but you need mass market saturation.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's exactly the same idea, but it only lets you see people in the immediate vicinity (~250m radius). The idea being that you can use it in situations like "is the Waitress flirting with me?".

If the waitress is using her phone instead of taking my order i think that'll be reflected in my tip.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

If the waitress is using her phone instead of taking my order i think that'll be reflected in my tip.

Just the tip?

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular

Going to be a millionair when I get "Onnit" off the ground. A dating app that only works within 50m.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Nought wrote: »

Going to be a millionair when I get "Onnit" off the ground. A dating app that only works within 50m.

I shall follow that up with Getnbusy, with a 0.5m radius.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Nought wrote: »

I shall follow that up with Getnbusy, with a 0.5m radius.

But then I'll steal the market with KnocknBoots, which integrates accelerometer data.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

This super, super creeps me out

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    He also kept putting himself down a lot of the time during our chit chat phase. :/

I used to do this a lot, and it took being on the receiving end of it during a date to realize just how unattractive it is from the outside. Needless to say, I'll avoid doing this in future.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I used to do this a lot, and it took being on the receiving end of it during a date to realize just how unattractive it is from the outside. Needless to say, I'll avoid doing this in future.

Something I still do. It's automatic at this point.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So i'm in the grocery store and as I round a corner make eye contact with an attractive lady. We both kinda grin and then she drops the can she is holding and gets super flustered. It was adorable and having a pretty girl react that way made me feel great, especially after a poop day.

Next time I may actually manage to say 'hi'!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    So i'm in the grocery store and as I round a corner make eye contact with an attractive lady. We both kinda grin and then she drops the can she is holding and gets super flustered. It was adorable and having a pretty girl react that way made me feel great, especially after a poop day.

should have picked up the can for her brah.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

I can see it being big for people who are into that kind of fabled weekender hookup scene thing, and who like to let their smartphone do all their work for them.

Outside that tiny demographic I don't see it taking off.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    At this point I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a brogrammer out there whose made a hookup app called DTF. Seems like the logical conclusion of this trend.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    At that point, why not go with the good ol' grab someone's thigh? :P

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

i knooow

This is the first thing I thought as soon as it was way too late.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    At this point I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a brogrammer out there whose made a hookup app called DTF. Seems like the logical conclusion of this trend.

Woah woah woah, bro. Bro. Dude. Bro. No App Necessary for that one, bro. Seriously, every brogrammer knows that everyone is Down To Framework. All Day. All Night.

(But seriously, an app that gives random strangers within 250m access to reasonably personal details is very very creepy).

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    My general tactic at dealing with this (mainly because I'm competitive) is to turn it into "Who is the best at being bad". It can even turn into celebration at even mediocre success.

As an example, we went 10-pin bowling and she was putting herself down in general, so I made a point of how much MORE terrible I am at bowling than her (which I legitimately am). I proceeded to suck mightily, and some of the other lanes gave a few weird looks when I cheered my own gutterballs. But there was even more rejoicing when I finally managed to achieve my first 100+ score ever!

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular

This is brilliant. I might use this idea to get me into mobile programming. DTF inspired by Hacksaw.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

i knooow

This is the first thing I thought as soon as it was way too late.

I do this shit all the time, and actually got kind of upset with myself tonight. At a concert at the local fair, and am thinking this girl is really cute a few rows in front of me. Make eye contact and both smile, think about doing something when I get a chance. Looks like she gets up to go to the bathroom and think about then, but decide to wait until she comes back, which she never does. But then I actually see her leaving the fair a little later while I'm doing something else, think about running after her and asking her out. (to be honest I thought she was going to a porta potty and decided to wait, but saw her walking by and leaving and that's when I thought about chasing after) Would either be awesome or awkward, all depends on her answer. But I decide to just stand still. Would that have been the right move? Who knows, but there's only one way to find out but I always decide to just always wonder.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular

too late

https://www.downapp.com/

• Options
    I'm really understanding the wisdom of just not replying to people you're not interested in getting to know on the internet. I've started the fools errand of looking for a guitarist for my band on Craigslist and wow some people have a chip on their shoulder. Doesn't matter how nicely you turn them down, some people just want to argue. Much respect to those (particularly ladies) putting themselves out there on dating sites. Nobody is obligated to meet someone & "give them a chance" just because they ask.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I think I'm missing something. I don't see how this is creepy.

I think it's silly, but also can see it's usefulness in certain traditionally confusing situations.

• Options
    I could see that being used as a "these people in a small radius near you are single", and judging by the common belief that Tinder and POF are just for hook-ups then that person must be "totally DTF." Some people might just decide not to swipe right to find out interest via the app and rather go up to the person who most closely matches that picture and proposition them. For some that might be just great, for others just opening themselves for some uncomfortable situations.

I thought the old version of "locals" on the OKC app that behaved kinda similarly was weird too.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

I think it's silly, but also can see it's usefulness in certain traditionally confusing situations.

I can't speak for Usagi, but for me the creepy part was the "hey does the waitress flirt with me" example. As if waitresses don't get harrassed enough.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

I can't speak for Usagi, but for me the creepy part was the "hey does the waitress flirt with me" example. As if waitresses don't get harrassed enough.

Right. But this would reduce that.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Right. But this would reduce that.

In a perfect world maybe

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Guy sees girl, whips out Happn, girl rejects, guy calmly takes rejection and moves on with his life.

Oh no wait that last thing doesn't occur every time and now the guy has access to information about the waitress he thought he was flirting with that he really shouldn't have.

You could Happn-reject someone whilst your at a bar and now for the rest of the night have the fun worry that that person is lurking somewhere nearby!

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

Guy sees girl, whips out Happn, girl rejects, guy calmly takes rejection and moves on with his life.

Oh no wait that last thing doesn't occur every time and now the guy has access to information about the waitress he thought he was flirting with that he really shouldn't have.

You could Happn-reject someone whilst your at a bar and now for the rest of the night have the fun worry that that person is lurking somewhere nearby!

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

• Options
    Also the inevitable parade of "but she was asking for it! she was using a hookup app!"

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

Okay that does make sense