As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Hey, soul sister

KilroyKilroy timaeusTestifiedRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Social Entropy++
rjlfso.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpv8-5XWOI

Magic: the Gathering is a game about doing battle with colorful pieces of cardboard.

Kilroy on
turtleantShadowen

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Oh thank god someone else made the thread

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    You use that for the thread title and don't put the song in the OP?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    You use that for the thread title and don't put the song in the OP?

better?

turtleant
    REMINDER THAT PRO TOUR: JOURNEY INTO NYX IS THIS WEEKEND

The format is booster draft, and then Block Constructed for the top 8 (i think is how it works)

I'm deffo gonna watch this one, draft is neat as heck and I wanna see what Block Constructed looks like for this block.

I predict lots of that 5/5 for 3 duder.

On the one hand, an american control deck running Keranos doing well would make me really happy. On the other, that'll jump his price up like whoa.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I bet you there will absolutely be some kind of Keranos control deck (and that makes me very excited)

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    yeah I am super interested to check out block constructed

what are the available wraths? ol 7-mana retribution and semi-wrath anger?

It would be neat if an extinguish all hope deck showed up, but I'm, uh, *ahem*, not uh, hopeful

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    fated ret, extinguish all hope, i bet there will also be a lot of Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow

It's also going to be very Red/Green monsters heavy, I bet. Most of the good monsters are straight outta Theros

I think Extinguish will get more useful the farther into the next block we go. Right now pretty much everybody is running at least some enchantment creatures. 3 sets from now lots of decks will probably be using very few or no enchantment creatures. Then roll in with a deck full of enchantment creatures and turtle till you can do a one sided board wipe.

Doubt it will ever be truly good, but it might be goof around at FNM good.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I bet we'll see a Day of Judgement reprint in Huey or somethin'.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Keranos is just such a cool card to me

I like pretty much all the gods overall, but I think they really succeeded the most with Keranos and Erebos in capturing the "god" feel

they convey a certain disinterest in the player that I like

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    KalTorak
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    I bet you there will absolutely be some kind of Keranos control deck (and that makes me very excited)

Reminding me to pick up my pair of Kerry NOW.

Probably my RU Temples too.

Also , I know they are announcing Huey officially on Sunday. What kind of information do we usually get at this kind of thing? Just the name of the set/ plans? Do we learn any themes/mechanics/cards?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    REMINDER THAT PRO TOUR: JOURNEY INTO NYX IS THIS WEEKEND

The format is booster draft, and then Block Constructed for the top 8 (i think is how it works)

I'm deffo gonna watch this one, draft is neat as heck and I wanna see what Block Constructed looks like for this block.

Pro Tours are usually 5 rounds of Constructed (Block, in this case), then 3 rounds of draft (with 8 man pods). Then they cut to a certain number for day 2. Day 2 reverses the order of events (3 rounds of draft then 5 constructed), and finally cuts to top 8 on Sunday, which is Constructed.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Don't forget that Sunday during the Pro Tour they're revealing the first look at Huey.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

Reminding me to pick up my pair of Kerry NOW.

Probably my RU Temples too.

Also , I know they are announcing Huey officially on Sunday. What kind of information do we usually get at this kind of thing? Just the name of the set/ plans? Do we learn any themes/mechanics/cards?

Like, a name and an artwork.

I do follow the Magic storyline because I think it's neat in general. I don't really buy the books (yet), but read up on summaries and the MTGSalvation wiki.

So, storyline spoilers ahead for the second Theros book:
    Apparently they killed Elspeth. This... is surprising to me. I was under the impression she was a very popular Walker and is one of the few female ones. Seems like a surprising move.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I do follow the Magic storyline because I think it's neat in general. I don't really buy the books (yet), but read up on summaries and the MTGSalvation wiki.

Apparently they killed Elspeth. This... is surprising to me. I was under the impression she was a very popular Walker and is one of the few female ones. Seems like a surprising move.
    Eh? Then how was she around to kill Xenagos for Journey?

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Probably
    she'll return from the Underworld with very messy death rules depending which plane you die in?

i meant the last book (Godsend PT 2). She's killed after finishing off Xenagod... by Heliod of all things

i meant the last book (Godsend PT 2). She's killed after finishing off Xenagod... by Heliod of all things
    I've said it before, and I'd say it again (except she's dead):

Elspeth cannot catch a break.

The Betgirl
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    conspiracy spoilers from the vintage masters spoilers:

SelvalaExplorerReturned.jpg

hz79yq3dc1_ct.jpg

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    tyrant's choice is bananas and will own in pauper

DaebunzThe Betgirl
  • SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    Have we seen a common that good since Blightning?

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683

Yo what.
    That blows. i love Elspeth. I guess the 'monowhite walker' crowd was getting a little full with Gideon, Ajani, and her all around. But man... At least I still have Koth. (i hope)

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    can somebody explain why, in the theros story
    Heliod suddenly got pissed at elspeth?

Was she not brought into this shit by him specifically to kill xenagos? And then she does in fact kill him using a god killing spear I can only assume was partially created by the gods

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Was she not brought into this shit by him specifically to kill xenagos? And then she does in fact kill him using a god killing spear I can only assume was partially created by the gods
    heliod is a petulant child and when xenagos becomes a god he assumes that elspeth helped him and spends the rest of the story yelling and screaming and trying to kill all mortals and elspeth

heliod is a petulant child and when xenagos becomes a god he assumes that elspeth helped him and spends the rest of the story yelling and screaming and trying to kill all mortals and elspeth
    sounds like they stayed true to greek god flavor

SedraxisShadowenturtleantTheodore FlooseveltAnialos
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i haven't read it, but
    I could imagine the other gods not wanting a god-killer with a god-killing spear running around loose.

theros storyline
    "elspeth succeeds then chumps it to a jerk at the end" is so narratively unsatisfying in a world themed around a mythology filled with "so and so comes back from the dead" that i have utterly no faith that she's gone for good

i presume that if they ever do a Return To Theros the plotline will involve elspeth returning and presumably replacing heliod in the pantheon

oh cool that makes sense
    and then when she kills xenagos he's still mad because reasons, sounds good to me

I guess theros really captures that greek gods were really pretty shitty at any aspect of godhood that isn't "incredibly strong powers"

even partial omniscience or the ability to think critically is for chump gods

2x39jD4.jpg
    theros storyline
    "elspeth succeeds then chumps it to a jerk at the end" is so narratively unsatisfying in a world themed around a mythology filled with "so and so comes back from the dead" that i have utterly no faith that she's gone for good

i presume that if they ever do a Return To Theros the plotline will involve elspeth returning and presumably replacing heliod in the pantheon
    Doug Beyer has said on his blog multiple times that dead is dead in MTG

i haven't read the books so i dont know if there's some kind of dumb theros magic, but for now i'm saying that she's dunzo

I've heard the ending referred to as
    cliffhanger-y and ambiguous, but I'd still prefer it to be reversed as soon as possible

theros storyline

Doug Beyer has said on his blog multiple times that dead is dead in MTG

i haven't read the books so i dont know if there's some kind of dumb theros magic, but for now i'm saying that she's dunzo

Theros has
    an entire race that is beings who have basically come back from the dead

and several cards about coming back from the dead

if there would ever be an exception to that rule that allowed elspeth to come back as a fully functional version of herself it would be in theros

they could even metzen it a little and have her be corrupted or some shit

2x39jD4.jpg
    theros story
    she would come back as a returned, but with no memory of what happened and (probably) no spark, so I'm not really sure what the deal is there. It's really ambiguous but if they're going to do this, i would really prefer that they stick to their 'no resurrection' guns.

keep koth safe at all costs

tbh i think they left it open-ended because they haven't decided what they'll do with it though

they can let it be dead is dead or they can very very easily have a story involving the underworld, or theros' near-worship of her, or whatever

whichever they feel will best suit their narrative needs

the circumstances of her death are different than previous narrative deaths though, she doesn't die to accomplish or enable anything, like i said she just chumps it at the end to one of the antagonists. doesn't feel like a koth/venser situation

I dunno, like kwoaru said, it makes sense that the gods wouldn't want a planeswalker with the godsend running around Theros, especially if she found out how to ascend to godhood as Xenagos had. She died after she accomplished a task, but yeah, it feels a little weird. We'll see where they go with it! It's kind of exciting.

Uncharted Realms kinda pointed to this. Every Theros story ends in tragedy

I dunno, like kwoaru said, it makes sense that the gods wouldn't want a planeswalker with the godsend running around Theros, especially if she found out how to ascend to godhood as Xenagos had. She died after she accomplished a task, but yeah, it feels a little weird. We'll see where they go with it! It's kind of exciting.

Uncharted Realms kinda pointed to this. Every Theros story ends in tragedy
    The Greeks did invent tragedy, after all (note: being facetious).

• SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    Watch Rescue from the Underworld be the teaser for Return to Theros.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
    Anon the Felon
    edited May 2014
    i mean come on ajani you're supposed to give her 100 fucking life

get on your game

alt-post: so he's as good canonically as he is competitively

I needed anime to post. on
    SedraxisThe BetgirlTheodore FlooseveltShadowen
This discussion has been closed.