Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, May 15, 2014 - Passive, Then Aggressive

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Passive, Then Aggressive

Passive, Then Aggressive
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/passive-then-aggressive

It’s a Sabotage

Anonymous

One game inside my company was being made by a new and very promising studio it had acquired in the old Soviet Block countries.  The brass was really looking forward to them working out when they invested in the studio, and their big game project was ambitious and well designed.  The long and short is an Eastern European post nuclear disaster wasteland First-Person quest driven exploration and survival shooter.

Sounds like Fallout 3, right?  But this game was designed and even released long before FO3 ever hit the shelves.  It was something that could have swept the market and become a smash hit, especially since it would have been easy for the localization for Europe and Russia because of the studio’s location.  The guys that tested the game sang of it’s potential, but more often they lamented it’s situation.

You see, the management had a few people they wanted to “dispose of.”

The big brass in the company decided to place people they didn’t like in charge of the new, small, and suddenly under-funded studio and then blame them when the new builds still retained Alpha version bugs and flaws.  Every person placed in charge of handling the unfortunate game was held responsible for a lack of progress when they were being actively undermined by their own bosses.

About three guys got discredited this way, the game itself getting older and inching closer to completion during this entire process. With three months until the promised release date, they were suddenly given funding, a new manager that was not being targeted by the higher ups, and a team of forty full time testers, a size only found on flagship projects inside the company.  But it was too late.  All the bugs that had been in the game since it’s Alpha build were present, and there was only enough time for surface polish and handling the “Game Breaker” bugs, and then the game was forced out the door.

I just now went and checked the old game’s Meta-score, and each review says basically the same thing.

“Great atmosphere, great writing, and immersive.  But the bugs kill the fun, so go find something else to play if you can.”

Even so, the game got an 80% rating and additional DLC.  But I just can’t help but feel that if those guys in charge hadn’t have been petty assholes to each other then this game would have been the one to define a genre in place of Fallout 3.  Instead, they pissed their money away and hamstrung a promising studio for their own personal vendettas.

Bet they would’ve acted different had they known how much money Bethesda would make.

Geth on

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Uhhh what happened?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Cora went on a power trip and hurt herself.

I feel like we missed half a dozen strips.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69cIEiutWTY

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I can't tell if the comic is imploding into one incoherent mashup of subplots or just flailing about trying to find which one sticks. The artist shifts could indicate either, honestly.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    I really liked this comic, but it is starting to fall apart. I also want to know what game they were talking about today, because I want to play it and see how it compares to Fallout 3, but I know the mods don't want that being discussed.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Ginormous wrote: »
    I really liked this comic, but it is starting to fall apart. I also want to know what game they were talking about today, because I want to play it and see how it compares to Fallout 3, but I know the mods don't want that being discussed.

I was almost sure it was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. until DLC was mentioned...

• Options
    CartonBoxCartonBox Registered User new member
    The way I see it, Cora is playing the bad guy in order to help get rid of the extra hires. She's obviously having a hard time at it.

• Options
    nafunnafun Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    Dereted

nafun on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    God, petty management bullshit seriously. If you are "management, and you want to "get rid" of someone don't be a pussy. Just sack up and fire them. They don't seam to have a problem firing testers, and managers generally aren't as protected in most states. Petty office horseshit is just them being cowards.

• Options
    RaiibanRaiiban Registered User new member
    I can't really understand where the plot of this is going anymore. Don't mean to bash on Ty but I can't help but feel he's not up to handling writing on this. I will give him props for the art though if he's taken over for Monica like some people suggested, I think the past two strips have been a good improvement in that.

I'm a big fan of Monica's style too, but I never felt like it translated well to the trenches for some reason.

• Options
    CeutaCeuta Registered User new member
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Ginormous wrote: »

I was almost sure it was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. until DLC was mentioned...

It probably is, sounds like the teller went back recently to check and most people would assume the expansions are a form of DLC since there is not so much talk about "expansion packs" like in the older days of games. Everything in the story points to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., especially with regards to the mismanagement issues and general reviews. I think I remember reading about it on the developer studio's forums of someone posting about why the game had so many issues and seemed partially finished.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Please read the announcement at the top of the forums.

• Options
    RedactedProfileRedactedProfile Burnaby, BCRegistered User regular
    I'm so lost, I have NO idea what's going on any-more. I went back to try and re-read this season again, to no avail. I got that Isaac hired too many, but the whole plot of weeding out the new hires has been going left and right to where I just don't get any-one's motivations for doing anything any-more.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Wait, we have another new artist? Does that also mean we have another new writer as well?

It's little wonder this comic is becoming increasingly difficult to follow regularly: It gets passed to someone new every 10 minutes it seems.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    Quick question Tube, in a situation like this were to arise where the game is relatively obvious but somebody didn't know what it was and would like to know so that they can simply play it, can we say? (ie. @Ginormous is curious about playing it as the story made it sound interesting)

Regarding the comic: diggin Ty's art but just the plot has really come off the rails. I don't know what to think anymore, I'm kinda just checking out of habit now which is sort of a sad way to read a comic.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    RedactedProfileRedactedProfile Burnaby, BCRegistered User regular
    I think the comic would serve better maybe told not in strips but in pages, allowing more 'stuff' to happen per page, instead of interspersing the story into segmented pseudo punchlines to round it out

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Will someone please just take the comic behind the barn and shoot it? The Tales can still be posted, somewhere.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I totally get Isaac's plan to be a dick in order to get people to quit, and his desperation to keep hat girl because she's talented (very good character design BTW), but the Cora stuff...

• Options
    Centurion13Centurion13 Registered User regular
    Regarding that final comment: "Bet they would’ve acted different had they known how much money Bethesda would make."

No, they wouldn't, Mister Anonymous. Folks that see nothing wrong in turning a company upside down to feed their egos and who risk the company bottom line to indulge in passive-aggressive maneuvering don't care a thing about money. This sort of thing happens in a lot of industries. If the company is lucky, these egoists eventually get hauled off to prison for doing too many lines during the meetings. Or fired because their superiors realize what the asshat is costing the company. If the company is not lucky, it eventually fails.

Unfortunately, these egoist types are like fleas - they jump ship and find another host. They are very good at surviving, right up to the very end.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Per the latest Tycho newspost:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/05/19/the-state-of-play
    You might have noticed an art change over at The Trenches, and that is because Monica Ray (of Strip Search, and Other Fames) is now a storyboard artist on new cartoon show Bad Seeds(!!!). What this means is that Ty Halley, who was writing this season of Trenches, is now writing and drawing The Trenches. It could literally say “The Trenches, By Ty Halley” and it would be accurate. It’s fun to step outside something like this, and have a chance to be a fan of something you started. The comics are great, the Anonymous Stories of Development Woe (ASDW) are fascinating, and there’s years and years of both in the archive.

Again, I really, really, wish there was a "news" section somewhere on the Trenches site.

marsilies on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Quick question Tube, in a situation like this were to arise where the game is relatively obvious but somebody didn't know what it was and would like to know so that they can simply play it, can we say? (ie. @Ginormous is curious about playing it as the story made it sound interesting)

Regarding the comic: diggin Ty's art but just the plot has really come off the rails. I don't know what to think anymore, I'm kinda just checking out of habit now which is sort of a sad way to read a comic.
    The point of hiding the game is to protect the person telling the tale, not the game. If it starts to look like the tales are not a safe place to anonymously voice problems within the industry, then the tales will start to dry up.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I shall venture a common sense (not so common as you might think!) logic and assert that the query may be made publicly, yet the answer must be given in private (message).