Options

[Trailers] Rust Cohle is Lost in Space

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Something like this?
    hg-20.jpeg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No god no, damn it that is a facial abomination.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's a style of a sort.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    In the grim darkness of the far future...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh23-rQUi5U

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Too ironic for me. Makes me think of I Declare War.

If it was played straight it would be fun, and maybe it actually is, but the end cuts with the unicorn bike and 80's effects and just bikes in general feels like someone saw one 80's movie, wikipedia'd some other films like Road Warrior, and is going to make a movie to laugh at it, not with it.

Stop picking on the 80's, current generation of people who just discovered the 80's existed via Youtube. It was a great time and you're corrupting their earnest nature. Online bullies, the lot of you.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Tha's 90s, not 80s.

Though regardless, it looks like the joke would run out in about 30 more seconds.

• Options
    It's 1997 in the film, but only because they reference a future from the standpoint of being in the 80's.

Like Timecop takes place in 2004 but is really in a 90's version of the future (and was only going ten years in the future from when it was filmed.....and we're already ten years past it.....man they missed the mark there)

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    based on this short:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBL0vPheNwM

so... I dunno... I just wish Jason Eisener would get off his ass an make another awesome grindhouse movie since he seems to be one of only a few directors to get it right.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think someone thought Far Cry Blood Dragon should be a movie, but didn't nearly have the budget or talent to pull it off.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Too ironic for me. Makes me think of I Declare War.

If it was played straight it would be fun, and maybe it actually is, but the end cuts with the unicorn bike and 80's effects and just bikes in general feels like someone saw one 80's movie, wikipedia'd some other films like Road Warrior, and is going to make a movie to laugh at it, not with it.

Stop picking on the 80's, current generation of people who just discovered the 80's existed via Youtube. It was a great time and you're corrupting their earnest nature. Online bullies, the lot of you.

I am sick to freaking death of the 80's. I really wish people would stop mining that decade for inspiration. The fashion sucked, the popular music sucked, and with a relatively small handful of exceptions, the movies sucked. It's like hollywood forgot cinematography after the 70's and didn't discover it again until the late 90's.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grim Fantastic Four, and I'm not talking about the Thing a hyuck hyuck.

I get they wanted an Interstellar vibe but come on bros, that ain't the FF. Exploring is fun!

• Options
    Superheroes aren't supposed to be fun, TexiKen

they're dark and brooding and and bleak and tragic and painful because that's what people wanna see

people wanna go to the movies and see people from the comic books they didn't read suffer for 2 and a half hours and at some point fight a guy with CGI

and there ain't no bright colours in 'em, no sir, just blues and greys and blacks

even Johnny Storm is black, but Sue Storm isn't because I dunno, I mean could they not find a black actress I don't feel like there's a shortage

maybe the director just wanted to work with Michael B Jordan again and also felt like maybe he could claim he was being ballsy and diverse but like couldn't he make Sue Storm black too, also super ballsy move making Ben Grimm, previously played by a rotund middle-aged bald man, a young hot guy before he transforms yeah buddy you are sure pushing boundaries

I for one am pumped for an inoffensively by-the-numbers movie about a studio clinging to IP

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    You notice how they cut away just before showing Reed's arm stretch? I wonder if that's just because the effect isn't done, or if they think that's such a silly and unrealistic power that if they show it to us upfront we won't buy into this superhero movie at all.

• Options
    Its hilarious that studios still, still don't understand what people like about the marvel movies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    -he's coming...
    -who?
    -Fletcher... and he's gonna slap the shit out of you!

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Also, did anybody else notice that in that final shot of the four of them The Thing isn't wearing any pants?

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    You notice how they cut away just before showing Reed's arm stretch? I wonder if that's just because the effect isn't done, or if they think that's such a silly and unrealistic power that if they show it to us upfront we won't buy into this superhero movie at all.

"Yeeeeaaaaah, these stretch powers don't really work for the kind of serious, mature, edgy take on the Fantastic Four I'm looking to make."

"But... but that's what he does. That's his super power."

"Yeeeeaaaaah, about that..."

Lumbergh.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    In all fairness, stretchy powers are super lame.

• Options
    Bullshit stretchy powers are the best. They also let you stay alive forever as long as you eat four livers and then hide out in your papermache hive.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Yeah.. that trailer just made me.. 'wha?' Apparently Fox and WB have a deal to set FF in the Man of Steel universe, cause that's sure as shit what it felt like.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    It's so the wrong tone
    Maybe the biggest influence for me in terms of an overall view and communicating tool to the various department was Scanners or The Fly. In terms of the feeling of what these powers are. Because the drama speaks for itself in terms of the script or the story but the look of the movie and the feel of the movie has to be more evocative.

I would say that the science fiction of it is a big thing that sets it apart from most of the other superhero genre films. I’m a huge David Cronenberg fan, and I always viewed Fantastic Four and the kind of weirdness that happens to these characters and how they’re transformed to really fall in line more with a Cronenberg-ian science fiction tale of something horrible happening to your body and [it] transforming out of control. And the potential for a hard sci-fi take on that material makes me really excited.
    From what I’ve seen and from talking to him – he and I have had dinner a couple of times and we talk quite regularly as well – he’s contemporarising it. I think he’s just making it work for the screen – he’s a great storyteller.

Chronicle, if you think about it, was similar to Fantastic Four in that it was a bunch of people who were transformed into something more than human – that turned out almost his calling card to come and do something like Fantastic Four.

What I wasn’t expecting actually was just how funny and likable he could make this as well as getting the more awesome moments on screen – I use awesome in the traditional British sense and not the California sense awesome, you know? The Ridley Scott moments, and the Fantastic Four really are jaw-dropping in the same way you feel when you saw Alien for the first time. There’s some moments in this – not to be specific – that are actually gonna be phenomenal on screen and stuff you haven’t seen in a superhero movie before.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »

It's times like this I wish all Marvel properties were handled directly by Marvel. I mean, I know this was made just so Fox could keep the rights, but fuck...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    that last shot is totally ripped from mass effect 3.

fuck a lot of these shots look ripped from a lot of obvious current things. car in corn field shot made me seriously say seriously out loud.

looks okay i guess, hot stretchy fun in the negative zone.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    As someone who hated the first Fantastic Four movie, this one looks a lot better so far. Miles Teller and Kate Mara? Yes please!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    As someone who hated the first Fantastic Four movie, this one looks a lot better so far. Miles Teller and Kate Mara? Yes please!

Miles Teller is okay, but he ain't no Mr Fantastic

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    And Kate Mara, while I love her, is my age....while the rest of the actors are in their early 20's. Edit: Ok mid to late 20's, but whatever. They look younger.

Marauder on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It looks like it could be okay.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I do have to say it looks like they're at least not using a primarily paper mache based special effects budget, so it might already be hitting closer to home than the last couple FF movies.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Wow Mark Millar is involved? Ok so how many rapes? 2 3?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Ooof, I forgot about Millar.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wow Mark Millar is involved? Ok so how many rapes? 2 3?

This was my first thought.

I wonder if people who are familiar with his name from movies but haven't read his work are like Kick Ass was a decent movie and Wanted was kinda fun, this guy is a name to look out for with comics

instead of like hey remember that one protagonist of his who was a rapist, or that other protagonist of his who was trying to con a girl into getting close to him by pretending to be gay, oh and also later on that girl was gang raped.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    I'm curious how involved he was. He's credited as a Creative Consultant.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    If Frank Miller could feel shame he'd probably be happy to not be the worst miller in comics (yes I know they spell it differently it phonetically looks the same!)

I'd almost want to see Kingsmen if again it wasn't a Mark Millar property, and in one of the previews there's already an icky sexual situation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, Millar had a good run on FF. I think it was before his super edgy phase.
    It really is a shame that Marvel didn't keep the ridiculously OP Doctor Doom that Millar made.
    Doom was sent back in time to the Jurassic where everyone thought he died. Instead, he survived and just lived through history, learning, and refining his magic. The FF eventually met the ~250 million year old Doom back in the present day and he wiped the floor with the dude who sent him back. Then basically told the FF that they weren't worth his time and he fucked off to Latveria.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    I'm curious how involved he was. He's credited as a Creative Consultant.

According to Wikipedia:
    According to 20th Century Fox's consultant for their Marvel Comics based films, Mark Millar,

So yeah, I'm thinking there's no reason to be worried on that front. His name isn't on anything really important. Doesn't even get a producer credit that I saw.

• Options
    Anyway, I don't get the negativity. Nothing looks obviously bad like the last 2 FF movies, it can't be worse then them, the director can do good superhero stuff (see - Chronicle), the actors are all good afaik and the trailer looks good from what very little it shows so, yeah, why so down?

• Options
    I'm down because it does borrow a lot from other stuff (ME3, Interstellar) and that they kept saying this was going to be a whole new way to do a superhero film, almost bordering on a bit of pretentious.

But with what they showed, it looks like a muted color movie with everything in the dark, and almost ashamed of showing powers (Johnny flaming on in the distance, not even showing Sue's powers, Thing never being completely shown, Reed's hand offscreen). It does look like a Man of Steel companion film and just another blockbuster movie.

I'm not a big fan of Miles Teller or Kate Mara either (she's the Liam Hemsworth in that family), but I was expecting something more upbeat. I know I'd never get a Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo FF movie, but a real happy movie is something no one has done yet in a live action format since maybe the first Superman movie.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm down because it does borrow a lot from other stuff (ME3, Interstellar) and that they kept saying this was going to be a whole new way to do a superhero film, almost bordering on a bit of pretentious.

But with what they showed, it looks like a muted color movie with everything in the dark, and almost ashamed of showing powers (Johnny flaming on in the distance, not even showing Sue's powers, Thing never being completely shown, Reed's hand offscreen). It does look like a Man of Steel companion film and just another blockbuster movie.

I'm not a big fan of Miles Teller or Kate Mara either (she's the Liam Hemsworth in that family), but I was expecting something more upbeat. I know I'd never get a Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo FF movie, but a real happy movie is something no one has done yet in a live action format since maybe the first Superman movie.

Uh, the original FF movies? That they are trying to distance themselves from to some extent?

Everything else you are complaining about is explained by two simple words "Early Trailer". The CGI work isn't done (hence no powers shown) and the mood of the trailer is not the mood of the movie. It's on marketing what it will end up like. Like, The Avengers 2 trailer has basically the same tone and colour palette going on too.

It just feel like people are searching for things to dislike here despite the fact that we don't actually know much from this.

shryke on
  • Options
    For me its just that fox has put up two incompetent ff movies, and only put this out much like spiderman with sony, so they can keep the rights to it. Marvels first family deserves to return to Marvel not be locked up in some development hell with fox.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.