Options

Sfagetti tree [chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    My high school assigned reading was

Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Hamlet (from freshman to senior year)
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    A Separate Peace (of shit)
    Brave New World
    The Great Gatsby
    Huckleberry Finn
    The Grapes of Wrath
    The Scarlet Letter
    Heart of Darkness

But along with assigned fiction was some stuff where you got to choose books from a menu, and the person who picked the menu did a terrific job. From that I read

Cat's Cradle
    Gorky Park
    Catch-22
    The Name of the Rose
    Farewell, My Lovely

and a bunch of others that I don't remember.

And then for my senior thesis I read a bunch of Sinclair Lewis novels: Babbit, Arrowsmith, Dodsworth, It Can't Happen Here, and Main Street. I wrote my thesis on him and TS Eliot.

Sinclair Lewis is kind of underrated, by the way. Babbitt is still a pretty vicious critique of suburban myopia.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This video is super obnoxious but the whole solar panel roadways concept is really cool. How feasible is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qlTA3rnpgzU

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Man, Gorky Park was a boss book too. I should reread that series.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I'm reminded simultaneously of Georgia O'Keefe and H.R. Giger

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    V2tXwP4.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    If I had read Umberto Eco as a high schooler I feel like my life would be vastly different than it is now

I read him in sophomore year of college; the window of intellectual malleability was forever closed by that point

Eddy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    This video is super obnoxious but the whole solar panel roadways concept is really cool. How feasible is this?

i am extremely skeptical of solar roads

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I read Gorky Park as a child but didn't recall much. I did however visit Gorky Park for that reason.

I really liked his novel of alternative history where the Indians didn't lose as badly

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

That's literally the exact same thing as saying "I'm reminded of human genitals".

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jake, why did you hate a seperate peace?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    420 bros

420 brooooos

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

But you're all groovy with stairways to heaven and highways to hell. Your inconsistency is appalling, Feral.

• Options
    edited May 2014

That's literally the exact same thing as saying "I'm reminded of human genitals".

It's not quite the same because it's real artistic you see

it's the difference between balls in your face and a huge Chuck Close blow-up picture of balls (one will always be a mere representation, no matter how realistic)

that is to say, "I am reminded of reminders of human genitals"

Eddy on
  • Options
    Wildstar is appearing increasingly like a game I might want to play.

Hopefully this desire will pass.

• Options
    balls in my face are always beautiful

• Options
    I'm ashamed of my balls

like my earlobes, they do not seem particularly detached

• Options
    Reading about Paranoia brought me to this wiki article

Sounds like an SCP

• Options

It's not quite the same because it's real artistic you see

it's the difference between balls in your face and a huge Chuck Close blow-up picture of balls (one will always be a mere representation, no matter how realistic)

that is to say, "I am reminded of reminders of human genitals"

Hey, when I put my balls in your face it is equally artistic.

• Options
    My mother was a high school English teacher as well, so I ended up reading all of her assigned texts and somehow, Hardy Potter.I had to wait for her in her car at her school and one day was bored enough to read the first book wbicuh was sitting in her work box.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    jake, why did you hate a seperate peace?

I dunno, and I have not revisited it in the decades since to see it with adult eyes

but I found all the characters just loathsome, and that is something I am sometimes okay with, but they were also boring to me at the time.

i really could not imagine being the kind of person who would fixate on the sorts of things the book's narrator did and it struck me as alternately creepy and comic. i also remember it having a distinctly floaty, disconnected pace, possibly because what I know of the school year at a private boys' academy could fit comfortably into a thimble.

moby dick was meat and drink to me by comparison

I hear there is maybe a homoerotic subtext to the book and maybe if I read it now with awareness of that, and just generally not being a sixteen-year-old, I might like it a lot better, but honestly even reading a plot summary leaves me wondering why the book exists. it's about being mannered and stifled and stilted, like evelyn waugh for tots, and while there might be places in the US where kids still feel that keenly prairie village kansas was certainly not one of them

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    i despised that book, btw

that said, i despised most of the books i read in high school

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    God damnit Vor drop the fucking pistol receiver raargghhh! I've been through this shit ten times already. Fucking christ.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU

While the video makes it look cool, there needs to be a serious Shark Tank moment to break this thing down.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

In what regard? I like the concept. My only criticism is that it'd take forever to implement.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    WAFORBV.png

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I hated it and The Scarlet Letter (though interestingly I have read some of Hawthorne's other stuff, like his short fiction, and like it very much. He had Poe-like, gothic tendencies in some of his short stories)

I thought Gatsby was dumb at the time but now it makes me ache with the precise and surgical evocation of things that I have authentically felt, somehow working this feat across a space of ninety years.

I thought Grapes of Wrath was kind of MEGA EARNEST and maybe a bit overblown, like those big budget movies where they try to cram too many stars in, but overall liked it and that is still more or less how I feel about it. I have a big soft spot for those 30s American social realist writers like him and John Dos Passos who wanted to wake the masses up.

Heart of Darkness is one of the best things ever written in the English language and is in less than two hundred pages a master class in setting, plot, and atmosphere for anyone who wants to learn how to write.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So read a spoiler of one of the new dinos in Jurassic World

I have NO fucking clue what they are doing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That video was the most obnoxious thing. It was cut together like one of those 1am bullshit "ORDER NOW" things.

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I have nine barrels now.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    OMG HUEG BUTTERFLY

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Is it worse than the half dino/half person hybrids from the old scripts that were rejected?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    go away butterfly

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I'm in such a weird mood

like I'm about to go into something really stressful but not bad

like a full contact sparring round or a CX debate or public speaking

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Gim wrote: »

Is it worse than the half dino/half person hybrids from the old scripts that were rejected?

Real spoiler
    They are cross breeding dinos with each other and other animals
    One particularly successful T-Rex / raptor / snake / cuttlefish hybrid gets loose and begins terrorizing the park.
    The big bad dinosaur has instant camouflage abilities, like the cuttlefish, so he blends into the background, is smart like the velociraptor, uses his jaw like a snake, and can terrorize like the T-Rex.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I hated it and The Scarlet Letter (though interestingly I have read some of Hawthorne's other stuff, like his short fiction, and like it very much. He had Poe-like, gothic tendencies in some of his short stories)

I thought Gatsby was dumb at the time but now it makes me ache with the precise and surgical evocation of things that I have authentically felt, somehow working this feat across a space of ninety years.

I thought Grapes of Wrath was kind of MEGA EARNEST and maybe a bit overblown, like those big budget movies where they try to cram too many stars in, but overall liked it and that is still more or less how I feel about it. I have a big soft spot for those 30s American social realist writers like him and John Dos Passos who wanted to wake the masses up.

Heart of Darkness is one of the best things ever written in the English language and is in less than two hundred pages a master class in setting, plot, and atmosphere for anyone who wants to learn how to write.

You hated the Scarlet Letter? I only read it last year and whilst the book itself wasn't amazing, the introduction was one of the best I have read for a novel.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Real spoiler
    One particularly successful T-Rex / raptor / snake / cuttlefish hybrid gets loose and begins terrorizing the park.
    The big bad dinosaur has instant camouflage abilities, like the cuttlefish, so he blends into the background, is smart like the velociraptor, uses his jaw like a snake, and can terrorize like the T-Rex.
    I think they saw Pacific Rim and Godzilla and just want to ape them.

• Options

Real spoiler

Is that confirmed?

Because that's really stupid.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    0HMDJQt.jpg?1

i am sure this is probably an embarrassingly low score, but it is still pleasing to me, in transistor

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Real spoiler

Is that confirmed?

Because that's really stupid.

Slashfilm is reporting it as uncomfirmed but they seem to trust it enough to post it without calling it specifically a rumor.

bloodyroarxx on
This discussion has been closed.