Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Establish residency in Colorado- healthcare

OrganichuOrganichu jacobkoshRegistered User regular
So it looks like I'm heading to Colorado. I have a major concern.

How do I establish residence such that I'm eligible for state medical programs? I'd be staying with a friend and- in the beginning at least- have no income. Since Colorado expanded medicaid, this would qualify me, right?

One of the programs mentioned here talks about 'Colorado residents'- but when I Google around, all I see about residency is stuff for in-state tuition rates and also stuff about the DMV and transferring my driver's license.

Moving OoS is a qualifying life event so I don't have to wait for the next open enrollment. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do- and how long I have to wait- to apply for subsidized state programs like Medicaid.

Thanks so much.


  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what the process is like but I think it's true in every state that if you qualified in another state for assistance that they are pretty quick about doing the paperwork for you. And in the meantime you would still be covered on your previous state's system right? I mean, you could just say you were on vacation for a month or two and wouldn't have to worry about breaking an arm and your out of state Medicaid not covering you.

    Or I might be completely wrong. Hopefully there is someone more knowledgeable of the local issues available to see this.

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    i'm actually not covered by medicaid at all here in pennsylvania; we haven't expanded the program and as a childless adult i don't qualify.

  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ah, I see. I think if you have a signed lease agreement for a rental and/or a utility bill in your name then that shows your residency as pretty immediate.

    Still not sure on any state rules of qualifying though.

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Blech. Medicaid's site says to contact the state you're moving too and then goes into their automated process which is going to require numbers you won't have until you move (housing costs and such.)

    Maybe try and find organizations out there that help people apply for benefits? They might be the most receptive to wanting to help you. Other than that contacting the Colorado office directly which doesn't sound like lots of fun.

    Did find an application form online.

    Hmm.....found this which says:
    State and County Residency
    In order to be eligible for benefits, an applicant must be a resident of the State of Colorado. State residency is established by physically residing in
    Colorado and declaring intent to remain. This can be self-declared.

    County residency is not required; nor is a home address required. Persons who are homeless are eligible to apply and should indicate on the
    application where they will receive eligibility notices and benefit cards.

    So sounds like no waiting period but that you have to be moved before you can do it. I would still try and reach out to someone in the state to verify this rather than trusting a random guy on the internet pointing to a random webpage of unknown age.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    most residency takes 1yr. you just need to setup a bank account and change you address/get a new license etc

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    thanks for the feedback y'all

    the move is happening in a couple months and i wanted to update with some good news- eligibility is immediate! i of course still need to begin establishing residency for educational pricing but i am eligible to apply for medicaid from day one

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Good luck chu, hope it works out for you.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
Sign In or Register to comment.