As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    This week's episode spoilers:
    Anyone else absolutely tickled that Oren knew IMMEDIATELY that Zangetsu wasn't Takatora?

Just the best.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Inx wrote: »
    This week's episode spoilers:
    Anyone else absolutely tickled that Oren knew IMMEDIATELY that Zangetsu wasn't Takatora?

Just the best.
    for a moment I was wondering if this whole time Micchy was just pretending to be evil, as it looked like he was refraining from finishing off Kouta.

But one maniacal laugh later....nope.

• Options
    for a moment I was wondering if this whole time Micchy was just pretending to be evil, as it looked like he was refraining from finishing off Kouta.

Nah, Micchy is a complete shit. I will say I prefer this to him being an angsty sidekick. Sure, he's still angsty, but better an angsty bad guy so I don't feel like I'm not supposed to hate him.

I hope he gets what Sid got, but like...double. Ooh, Micchy's comeuppance better be good.

• Options

Nah, Micchy is a complete shit. I will say I prefer this to him being an angsty sidekick. Sure, he's still angsty, but better an angsty bad guy so I don't feel like I'm not supposed to hate him.

I hope he gets what Sid got, but like...double. Ooh, Micchy's comeuppance better be good.

I would agree except that
    it's going to really destroy Kouta once he finds out. :(

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I appreciate that they're not really that great at fighting, but they seem to be pretty good at dodging and acrobatic moves due to their dancing ability.
    Oh my gosh, these reindeer suits are adorable.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Sounds like you're near the end of Gaim's first act judging by what you put in the spoiler.
    Soak in all that cuteness while you can because the plot shall fall hard soon like sledge-hammers raining from the heavens.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Noooooo, Pinecone, your driver got busted. I was really enjoying your comedy duo.
    Wait. No. It was worth it if Acorn is now Durian's pupil. I'll still be rooting for your comeback Pinecone.
    SODA?!?
    Oh goddammit Pinecone, that was the wrong path to go down on your character arc.

Radius on
  • Options
    Did episode 34 for Gaim not air this week?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Nope. I think it's due to some golf event. Gaim continues later this Saturday.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Damn. Waiting is the real suffering.

How many episodes are left?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Episode 28
    Micchy you son a bitch, I hope Kaito delivers on his promise soon.

Episode 29
    KIKAIDER?!?

Radius on
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Episode 29
    KIKAIDER?!?
    Yep, Gaim has not one but TWO crossover film-promoting stories.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    so I just finished Ryuki, ending spoilers!
    or should I say Kamen Rider Knight since he's basically the main character, especially with Shinji dying in the penultimate episode, which was interesting. I wonder why they did that, it could have easily been Ren that got stabbed trying to save the little girl (and would've been a callback way back to that early episode where Shinji runs into Ren standing over that little girl on the stairs and originally assumed he had attacked her but actually had protected her), but then Shinji would've had to wish for something and who knows what would've happened

I really enjoyed this series, it had some pretty great characters, though there's a few things I would've changed
    1. Asakura and Kitaoka should've actually had a final battle where Kitaoka wins, but just before destroying Asakura's deck, he dies from his illness. Asakura then dies just like in the show, Goro lives
    2. Tojo's deck should've been destroyed when Kitaoka Final Vented on Tojo and Asakura, instead of Tojo getting hit by a truck like an idiot because he was hallucinating
    3. Shouldn't have kept Megumi as a recurring character, she didn't really add anything

also the show seems to be missing 3 Riders which is kind of silly, I wonder how that happened
    apparently they are in the movies that I haven't watched yet, but those are alternate stories it seems, so it doesn't explain why they're missing from the show

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    or should I say Kamen Rider Knight since he's basically the main character, especially with Shinji dying in the penultimate episode, which was interesting. I wonder why they did that, it could have easily been Ren that got stabbed trying to save the little girl (and would've been a callback way back to that early episode where Shinji runs into Ren standing over that little girl on the stairs and originally assumed he had attacked her but actually had protected her), but then Shinji would've had to wish for something and who knows what would've happened

I really enjoyed this series, it had some pretty great characters, though there's a few things I would've changed
    1. Asakura and Kitaoka should've actually had a final battle where Kitaoka wins, but just before destroying Asakura's deck, he dies from his illness. Asakura then dies just like in the show, Goro lives
    2. Tojo's deck should've been destroyed when Kitaoka Final Vented on Tojo and Asakura, instead of Tojo getting hit by a truck like an idiot because he was hallucinating
    3. Shouldn't have kept Megumi as a recurring character, she didn't really add anything

also the show seems to be missing 3 Riders which is kind of silly, I wonder how that happened
    apparently they are in the movies that I haven't watched yet, but those are alternate stories it seems, so it doesn't explain why they're missing from the show

Well...
    The alternate stories supposedly did happen. From what I've heard, the movie and TV special are previous goes of the plot with a reset-button pushed after each one and the series being the final go of things.

• Options
    I'm all caught up on Gaim.
    Kouta's a good kid, but he's a dumbass. I really hope Kaito is the one who saves the day at the end even if Kouta is the one defeating the big bad. Though now I want to know why Jounouichi is on his side in that army fight from the very first episode.

Maybe Micchy can get crushed between some rock walls while we're at it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If you didn't watch Decade, you're missing the best Ryuki Rider of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZPMZKl2aHY

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Owenashi wrote: »

Well...
    The alternate stories supposedly did happen. From what I've heard, the movie and TV special are previous goes of the plot with a reset-button pushed after each one and the series being the final go of things.

ah cool, should I watch those two in a certain order?

@Reynolds, in a perfect world I will get through all the Rider shows, but I heard a lot of bad stuff about Decade, so it's not too high up on my list of shows to watch
    ... I do own Figuarts Abyss though because it IS a rad design, fuckin' sharks man!

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Decade isn't great as a show/story, but it's great for a romp that shows offs all the Riders up to that point. It's also only like 30 episodes, so it's easier to get through.

Plus, you get to see stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_CRESxNFE&feature=kp

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

No clue. This isn't the only time a non-canon movie/special has been used in such a way either.
    From what I've read, Kabuto's movie is basically a prelude for the series in that it shows what was MEANT to happen before time-travel shenanigans occur in the film to set things along the path of the series.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

No clue. This isn't the only time a non-canon movie/special has been used in such a way either.
    From what I've read, Kabuto's movie is basically a prelude for the series in that it shows what was MEANT to happen before time-travel shenanigans occur in the film to set things along the path of the series.

aw man you spoiled that for yourself? I watched the series and movie last year not knowing, and it was a pretty cool surprise at the end

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Decade isn't great as a show/story, but it's great for a romp that shows offs all the Riders up to that point. It's also only like 30 episodes, so it's easier to get through.

Plus, you get to see stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_CRESxNFE&feature=kp

Now that's what I call

B)

Massive Damage.

• Options
    and that's another thing, I still need to finish the pre-Decade shows before I even consider watching it

I still haven't watched Kuuga, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O or Kiva. I started Blade, but the dude resubbing it disappeared

I've completed Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Kabuto, W, OOO, and watching Gaim as it airs

(I haven't watched any Showa stuff yet sadly)

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I watched Decade first, and it helped me learn a bunch and decide what I wanted to watch. Some of those you have left are either pretty rough or something you'll probably have an extreme love or hate relationship with. Odd that you'd watch Agito before Kuuga when it's one of the ones with direct ties. Decade is also great for getting a bit of Showa in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwedpOV13Bw

What about Wizard?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kuuga's connection to Agito is negligible from what I read, and seems to just cause confusion

I forgot Wizard exists, not one I plan on watching anytime soon as I haven't really heard anything good about it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Wizard is a whole lot of trash, and its a shame they wasted two solid suit designs on it.

W will always be my favorite show (until something in the future usurps that position) for a lot of reasons. I always recommend it as a starting point.

OOO is fun as hell, but suffers in the final act due to poor pacing.

Fourze is the kind of show nobody expects to like but then everybody ends up loving unless you're some kind of jerk.

I personally loved Kuuga, but it had some MAJOR pacing issues. They were kind of stumbling around in the dark trying to reinvent the franchise, and while they had their pitfalls I think they did a damn good job. Kuuga had some really memorable moments.

Also liked Blade, Ryuki, and Kabuto a whole lot. Blade especially, though I hear that the fansubs might have gotten some of the plot wrong so I'm kinda concerned about that.

Gaim is supr good you guys.

• Options
    OOO is my favorite, I didn't really notice any significant pacing issues, and the ending was so good. I just love everything about that show

W or Ryuki is my second fav. W is the very first one I watched, so I feel like I should revisit it sometime now that I have a better understanding of KR, I'll probably get more out of it. A big draw of KR to me though is the suit designs, and unfortunately I don't like W's asymmetrical look. The design obviously makes sense, and I love its function of two elements that combine, but the half and half colors is just something I'll never like aesthetically. Also, Xtreme was pretty disappointing to me in design and function. Skull and Eternal are godlike designs though

Ryuki has really great suits except for unfortunately Ryuki himself, going with a dragon theme but keeping the bug-eyes was a terrible idea. The cast of Riders is pretty diverse and interesting, and their interactions were always entertaining. Ouja really stood out, his ruthlessness was portrayed so well, but Zolda is my overall fav

I forgot about Fourze too, that's one I'll watch sooner than later

Kabuto had some pretty rad suits too, but the story was meh, it started off solid but then turned into a jumbled mess
    Agito was just kinda ok, it felt really slow

I really want to watch Blade, but yeah I hear TVN's subs are even worse than normal, including getting important plot wrong like you mentioned. A solo dude started resubbing it but disappeared about 7 eps in

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Watch Blade. The first eight or so episodes are the ones that had the bad translations and were really slow. Just ask and I'm sure someone can point out anything you need to know or be prepared for, to have everything make sense. You don't want to miss stuff like this just because of TVNihon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3wSwXc_bI

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    So the picture below was posted on a Kamen Rider Facebook page. Looks legitimate enough as a preview pic for an upcoming Gaim episode.
    J1R9sKu.jpg

• Options
    Blade really has some of the best suit designs, and Blade King Form is just the raddest of the rad.

Also, in response to that Gaim spoiler
    It's probably just gonna be Melon Energy but honestly I think Grape Energy would be pretty damn hype.

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    I actually really enjoyed Wizard. It's probably one of my favorite ones. Pretty much all of the neo Heisei stuff I loved. And I am excited to start Gaim after I wrap up Blade.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    wow, I don't think I've ever seen anyone consider Wizard even close to being one of their favorites

the monster designs I've seen looked really cool though

what makes you like it so much?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    I did really like the monster designs. I just enjoyed the magic theme and the Rider designs. The story I thought was pretty interesting although a bit derivative of other stories. Also one thing I picked up on in Wizard more than others was that I enjoyed the musical score way more than in other series. By that I mean many of the tracks stood out to me more, not just the rider themes but the ambient music that recurs in most episodes.

I'd probably say my favorite series is Kiva, followed by Fourze and OOO with Wizard ranking somewhere below those. I dunno. I just had a lot of fun watching it.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    I tried to like Kiva. If they'd just gotten rid of the main character and had his counterpart from the past as the main focus, it would have been so much better.

Also, no handpuppet guy.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    While I disagree with your opinion I respect your right to have it :)

As far a musical score goes, I found the W score to be really top-notch.

• Options
    This week's episode of Gaim was certainly fun.
    I knew the town getting nuked wasn't actually gonna happen no matter what but it was still somewhat of a jaw-dropper to see the government(s) in a Rider show take the 'just shoot them' option and do so to the max. It was fun to see Gridon use the Suika Lockseed too though I wish we could have seen him in Armored Mode if just to know if he would have had a slice-hammer like Baron getting a slice-lance when he used the Lockseed.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    This week's Gaim
    I'm kinda sad that Gridon seems to constantly job so hard. It's not my favorite design by any means but it would be nice to see him step up and wreck someone.

I also had no idea Redue was a female. Never ever would have guessed.

Takatora needs needs needs to get his belt back, I need my three-man bro squad of Kouta, Kaito, and Takatora.

Every time I type Takatora I want to finish with Batta.

Inx on
  • Options
    This week's Gaim
    Takatora needs needs needs to get his belt back, I need my three-man bro squad of Kouta, Kaito, and Takatora.

Actually, rumors are flying that the July 6th episode will be titled...
    7月6日 第36話「兄弟の決着!斬月VS斬月・真!」"Brothers' End! Zangetsu VS Zangetsu-Shin!"

And after that, something like this will come into play.
    ALVWfNV.jpg

But with the Melon Energy Lockseed. Double-Melon.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So one things that been bothering me
    The first scence of gaim is a possible future right,? Where helheim has absorbed the earth. So where did kouta get a horse?

• Options
    I would kill for that. I really, really would.

• Options
    this week's episode.
    Micchy got told, son!

This discussion has been closed.