As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, the rest of Ultraman R/B got subbed so you can just go watch the whole thing now so I have someone to talk about it with

It’s the best show about finding out your little sister is gay!

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    original character do not steal

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The next Another Rider's been revealed and...well...
    RiqEzQD.jpg
    b4ePo6e.jpg

Probably should have expected it. Can you tell what year he's supposed to be from by the way?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Those pants remind me of Nasca for some reason

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    The first magazine scans for March are starting to come in. First up is the upgrade debuting this month, one that's had quite a bit of build-up in recent episodes.
    Wm2RiKi.jpg

Here's Geiz's Revive form. As mentioned in the toy catalog scans a couple or so months back, it's a two-mode form with the default being the powerful fire-based side while the storm-based side is much more quicker.

And here's a couple of pictures that'll probably bring out smiles.
    X2s6HfP.jpg

Yep, OG-Woz has gotten himself a BeyonDriver. If he can actually achieve a Rider form with it however is another thing entirely. And Decade's making a return to the show but it's not clear on which side he'll be with this time yet.

• Options
    OKJxIxl.jpg

The Ryusoulgers will have mentors in the form of previous holders of the titles helping train the new group and their actors all have familiar faces to anyone that's seen enough Toku. Red's actor played Takeshi Hongo in the Kamen Rider The First/Next films. More hilariously, Blue and Pink's actors played Mamoru Chiba and Usagi Tsukino in the live-action Sailor Moon series from 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQ3oBAuJ-k

• Options
    More scans have come out for Zi-O. Here's a better look at our next Another Rider.
    Y3N70oc.jpg

Not much is known about A-Zi-O yet other that his name's Hiryu Kakogawa and he apparently hates Sougo for some reason. As you can see, A-Zi-O works more like Decade in that he can assume the form of previous A-Riders, making him a difficult opponent to handle due to all the powers he can access.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    dm3z3xo2hv00.png

I wish someone had told me about this show earlier.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    what..show

• Options
    The Girl in Twilight. It aired in the last three months of 2018. Somehow I've never heard anyone mention it anywhere, and it didn't stand out in any winter season list I glanced at.

They basically go to an alternate world every two episodes, and in this one Japan is somehow the old west, but with cars and cell phones. And the shy, quiet girl reveals she always wanted to be a hero of justice and becomes Kamen Rider McCree. Complete with her transformation device attaching like a belt buckle and her calling out all of her attacks, which nobody else has done so far.

Reminds me...I need to go back and finish the last few episodes of Cheer Fruits.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Info has come out on the Zangetsu stage-play that'll be taking place this month. The story revolves around Takatora visiting a country that had a Yggdrasill research site. Getting attacked while there, he ends up losing his memories after falling down into an underground city where groups of people are trying to survive by using Lockseeds and their associated Drivers. One of the groups, Orange Ride, tries to help him recover even as the one behind the madness targets Takatora for personal reasons.

Besides Takatora's actor returning, the actors for both the Lockseed-dealer Sid as well as Ryoji Hase AKA Kamen Rider Kurokage will also be playing their characters for the play.

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So something pretty big's coming out of the Zangetsu stage-play.
    olnXzpG.jpg

Namely Zangetsu getting a proper final form via his own Kachidoki Lockseed.

N8vUEHs.jpg

Not stopping there, SH Figuarts will be releasing a figure based on it AND there'll be a Ridewatch based on the form as well.

EDIT: Found a tweet with a couple of better pictures.

The figures in the background are the 'Proto' Riders from the play as apparently the Lockseeds being used are early versions of the ones seen in the show.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, I need that SHF

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Saw someone wearing a t-shirt with the Kamen Rider OOO TaToBa Combo chest emblem. Man, I kind of want a KR shirt now. Not sure what I'd go for though. Probably something from Build.

• Options
    That's so cool and I want a shirt like that?

Also really cool because I have seen no evidence of Kamen Rider in the wild in my life

for all I can tell, it's a weekly fever dream of mine

• Options
    Ooo there are a lot of good shirts out there

TaToBa, Zangetsu symbol, Gaim Symbol, Kamen Rider Club, GSPO Tactical Unit, Futo mascot

• Options
    Another Kamen Rider's making an appearance on Kamen Rider Zi-O in April, one that a lot of people probably were wondering about.

• Options
  • Options
    0o1ri0s7xz19.jpg

Some people on a toku forum got together to make this shirt. And I think a few others. I ordered one, and then it took so long for them to make I started to worry it was all a scam or waste of time. Cancelled the order and got a refund. Shrugged and forget about it all. Then several months later this shirt (that looked almost nothing like the mock up) appeared in my mailbox. Oh well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Poor Sasori Orange. When the girl of your ad-hoc group has a better-looking team/personal powerup, you know your team got shafted by the 'give the cool stuff to the Red' trope.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    He looks better than kaguya or marv imo

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Hilariously, AkaNinger is one of the bigger recipients of that trope seeing he's only lent that armor to the male members of his team once or twice while the girls had to wait for a stage show to use it. Zyuoh Eagle kinda guilty of this as well but there were consequences for two of the three powerups that he felt horrible over it so it's not as bad.

Owenashi on
  • Options

At this point you might as well take off the Driver and clobber someone over the head with it.

• Options
    So Tokusatsu Gagaga ended

Only seven episodes, which is apparently standard for a Japanese drama

Despite not technically being a toku series, it was definitely my most anticipated of the Japanese shows I watch each week while it was running

Strongly recommend

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Toei confirmed the return of a certain Rider I previously mentioned.

Nice to see him back. Not a fan of his current hair though. Looks like his Driver also got an upgrade.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Trailers for a pair of mini-series spinoffs I mentioned here earlier have been put up as well as pictures.

Kamen Rider Ryuki's Rider War looks to start anew and with a newish face to the conflict if you take a good look at the first picture in the second tweet.

Meanwhile, Kamen Rider Shinobi of the Future Riders will be getting a spotlight as we'll get to see his female lead, villain and second Rider in the form of Kamen Rider Hattari (Japanese for Bluff).

EDIT: Someone caught sight of something interesting in the case of the spinoff based off of a past Rider.
    Nc2psuW.jpg

As Ryuki fans know, there's three cards that enable the final forms for a Mirror War Rider known as the Survive set. One went to Ryuki and another to Knight. The third was said to be for Odin, the final boss of the War that had his own time powers but it was never used. Seems like now would be a good time what with a pair of time traveling Riders showing up.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Sorry for the triple-post but I thought this was a nice nod to fans of Zi-O.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Whats a good entry point for Kamen Rider

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    There's a lot of options. It really depends on what interests you about the show, what similar shows you like, and what in general you're looking for in a show. While remembering that you might be signing up for 52 episodes plus 1-5 movies plus crossover movies.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I started with Gaim, which is divisive, but I personally loved it. It’s not exactly representative of the series— it’s a lot more violent and tragic than most (closest in tone is probably Build, which doesn’t seem to get the same level of hate), and it’s one of the few shows where nearly every character becomes a rider (like Ex-Aid and I believe Ryuki, most only have 2-3)

I think most people on this board usually say to start with W (pronounced Double), which is fantastic, and I think is a perfectly good choice. Starts a very loose trilogy with OOO (pronounced O’s), and Fourze (4-zay). The only real connective tissue is the titles are explicitly sequential (2, 3, 4) and a mysterious villain organization from W shows up in the movies for the other two

And honestly Build would probably be a good first series. Much as I love Ex-Aid, it’s got some barriers to entry (awful suits and CGI, especially early on, and characters that aren’t immediately likeable and need to develop before you get their appeal). But Build hits the ground running and goes up from there

Jimothy on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Gaim is suffering

Build, Exaid and Fourze are all good choices in descending order of seriousness in tone

• Options
    Build it is

The less waaaacky hijinks the more sentai works for me

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Good choice with Build. I watched it mostly as it aired, then watched it again with some friends. I liked it that much. It has some shenanigans, but is mostly pretty serious.

Gaim delights in dragging its characters through hell, and you with them. I enjoyed it, but I can see why some folks wouldn't go for that.

Both Gaim and Build are serialized, in that each episode picks up where the last left off, and though there are some "monsters of the week" they all serve the larger narrative. This was a big deal in Gaim, since the last several Kamen Rider seasons had used the two-parter format.

And Fourze is just a great time, and features an ensemble of fun characters.

• Options
    The season this power rangers was based on was good as well right? I think i remeber seeing a fun clip of the sixth ranger

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Go-Busters was pretty good, though I’d say not as good as the shows immediately before and after it (Gokaiger and Kyoryuger)

It’s mostly interesting in how different and experimental it is— the monsters don’t grow, but rather giant robots of the same theme as the monsters are deployed, so often ground battles and mecha battles happen at the same time. And like Kamen Rider, there isn’t a cutaway morphing sequence, they always morph within the fight footage instead of the usual stock sequence

• Options
    Go-Busters was pretty good and it had a fun villain with Enter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1fyU-JXw34

The people making it also had some fun with those who complained about the show not being like the Super Sentai they were used to by making a direct-to-DVD film that reimagins the team under a more stereotypical Super Sentai lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK4O0hkN-9E

• Options
    Build it is

The less waaaacky hijinks the more sentai works for me

You might try going back to Kuuga and Agito, even. Faiz is mostly serious, and one of my favorites.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.