As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] F-Zero PX - Race Finale: The Champion of F-Zero PX is...

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Critical Failures
F-ZeroPX_logo.png

F-Zero PX
A MrBlarney Experiment
Original games by Nintendo

Scenario

The year is 2577, and humanity has taken to the stars. In this far-future, high among the entertainment choices for the people is the F-Zero Grand Prix. Pilots of the F-Zero circuit control machines with powerful technology capable of breaking the sound barrier while traveling on suspended tracks far above the ground. For the pilots at the top level of the sport, winning brings great fortune and fame.

Racing fever has spread throughout the galaxy, and demand has grown for more racing action. A new division of F-Zero for up and coming racers has been created to find and bring the best talents to the premier league. However, the lucrative business of F-Zero also attracts undesirables, those who would do evil with their winnings and a position in the main F-Zero circuit. Rumor has it that the criminal group Crimson Eclipse has registered multiple members into the newly founded league to try and add funds to their coffers. Who will win the new F-Zero preliminary league championship? A new name will soon rise to galactic prominence...

Game Overview

Genre: Traditional (Village vs. Mafia), Battle Mechanics, Alternate Win Condition

This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

This Phalla is structured as a traditional game, with an uninformed majority composed of most of the F-Zero racers pitted against an informed minority, members of the criminal organization Crimson Eclipse. This game also features race simulation mechanics, where players participate in races in the F-Zero grand prix in the hopes of becoming champion. At the end of six races, the player with the highest point total will be crowned the champion of the inaugural F-Zero preliminary league and win fortune, fame, and the right to participate in the highest F-Zero circuit. Unlike other games, the game does not end with the elimination of all minority members or the outnumbering of minority members to majority members, but instead carries through all six races. If the minority manages to set one of their member atop the podium at the end of the grand prix, then they will be declared the winner; otherwise the uninformed majority wins, with the circuit winner achieving an unofficial distinction on top.

Character and Machine Customization
All players will need to create a character and customize a machine to participate in this game. As part of the signup period, each player should provide me via PM the name of their pilot, the name of their machine, and their machine's stat distribution. Machines have three different attributes, Body, Boost, and Grip:
  • Body: Influences how resistant your machine is to crashing and damage and determines how much damage is done on an attack.
  • Boost: Influences how much speed is gained on boost laps (Lap 2 and 3).
  • Grip: Influences base speed and amount of speed lost when attacking or being attacked.
Each stat starts at a minimum level of E and can be upgraded to a maximum of level A with the following progression: {E, D, C, B, A}. When creating a machine, each player may make up to six levels of upgrades. For example, you could have a machine with stat values of ( C, C, C ) or ( E, B, B ). If a player does not submit a pilot and machine build by the end of signups, one will be generated for the player at random.

Race Preparation
Before each race, players should specify how they want to pilot their machines. First, players must indicate whether they wish to tune their machines for acceleration or max speed. Tuned towards acceleration, machines will have a lower base speed, but speed costs of making attacks and being attacked are reduced. On the other hand, tuning towards max speed gives a higher base speed but increased penalties for making and taking attacks. There are five levels of tuning: {Max Acceleration, Acceleration, Balanced, Speed, Max Speed}.

Secondly, players should indicate how aggressively they wish to utilize their boost. There are three levels of aggressiveness: {Defensive, Standard, All-Out}. Higher levels of aggressiveness increase the benefit of boosting, but also increase the probability of crashing and the probability of complete elimination.

Finally, players may specify if they wish to attack another player. When making an attack, 50 points of average speed are sacrificed to reduce an opponent's average speed by 80 and increase their probability of crashing. (Exact values for attack costs and damage dealt depend on the player and target's machine builds.)

Race Resolution
Each race in F-Zero has three laps. For each lap, speed is calculated starting from base speed, with additions for machine grip and boost bonus (on laps 2 and 3) and deductions for making and taking attacks. A random value from 1 to 50 is added to the lap speed as random variation.

At the end of three laps, rolls are made to check for crashes. The crash probability is based on the aggressiveness of driving plus any penalties from taking attacks. If any player crashes, a second roll is made to see if they are eliminated from the grand prix. Players who crash may still participate in the next race if they have not been eliminated.

All remaining players who did not crash or get eliminated will be sorted in order of speed. 1st place, the player with the highest average speed across all three laps, gains 100 points. The last-place player is guaranteed at least 20 points for finishing, depending on the number of players eliminated during the race. Players who crashed do not receive any points.

Charts and Formulas
Machine creation:
machinebuild.png

Race settings:
racesettings.png

Lap speed: Base speed + Grip speed bonus + Boost speed bonus (only laps 2 and 3) + 1d50
> Boost speed bonus is affected by boost aggressiveness.

Overall speed: Average of three lap speeds - attack costs (both made and received)
> Cost of attack is 50 * (attacker's grip modifier) * (attacker's acceleration or max speed modifier)
> Speed damage of attack is 80 * (attacker's body modifier) * (defender's grip modifier) * (defender's acceleration or max speed modifier)

At race resolution:
Check for crash probability, summed from acceleration or max speed modifier, boost aggressiveness, and attacks received.
In the case of a crash, roll for complete elimination based on boost aggressiveness. If crash probability is over 100%, any excess, multiplied by the base elimination chance, is added to elimination chance.
Points gained for k-th place = 100 * 5^( (1-k)/(n-1) ), where n is the number of players that started the race. Decimal points are rounded down to the closest whole number.

Voting

The Galactic Space Police is taking the reports of the Crimson Eclipse's potential meddling in the F-Zero races very seriously and is relying on the competitors' close observations of each other to figure out who the participating Crimson Eclipse members are. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red with "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be taken into custody by the Galactic Space Police until the end of the Grand Prix, and thus will be eliminated from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then only the first person to hit the tied value will be eliminated. The vote acts first in each day's resolution, before race outcomes and any player actions are resolved.

At the start of the game, voting will normally close each day at 10PM PDT / 1AM EDT / 5AM UTC; any actions before the hour (x:59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. Signups will be open for a minimum of 72 hours, closing at earliest on Wednesday, June 4, 10PM PDT / Thursday, June 5, 1AM EDT / 5AM UTC. Depending on signup numbers, there may be a 24-hour or longer extension to the signup period. There is no maximum nor minimum cap for signups for this game.

Inactivity

It is expected that players do at least two of the following three things each day to be considered sufficiently active: make at least two posts, make a vote, submit private actions. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the inactive player will be eliminated from the game. Inactive players will make no attacks and their actions will follow Balanced / Standard race settings.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

If any players create "proboards" for private communication or interesting conversations including more than two players, please send links for them to the host.

Questions and Answers

Q. Can an eliminated player win overall due to a very high point total on earlier legs?
A. No. While a player need not complete all races to win, they must at least start all races in order to be eligible for the championship prize.

Q. Will we know who each player's pilot and vehicle are, or is that information hidden?
A. Pilots and machine names should not be considered private information, as they will be used in narration and results for flavor information. All players are highly encouraged to come up with racers and vehicles for this purpose!

Q. Can you attack any player, or just those in adjacent positions?
A. There are no restrictions on whom you may target.

Player List

Elimnated Race 1
Machine: Blue Sky / Pilot: Jesse Pinkman (ObiFett)
Machine: Feilong / Pilot: Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang (discrider)
Machine: Earth Falcon / Pilot: Sumo Abaddon (jdarksun)

Eliminated Race 2
Machine: Ranger Plane / Pilot: Gadget Hackwrench (Gizzy)
Machine: Cold Fusion / Pilot: Harrison Frost (Megafrost)
Machine: Lickety Split / Pilot: Player Two (JPants)

Eliminated Race 3
Machine: Thunder Slug / Pilot: Avaya Samex (MaxFrost)
Machine: Chaser / Pilot: Dack Janiels (Trust)
Machine: Raging Lion / Pilot: Leonardo Felix (CesareB)
Machine: Undead Storm / Pilot: Anthony Crane (Zombie Hero)

Eliminated Race 4
Overcompensating Phallus / Pilot: Chet Rockwell (QuestionablySane)
Machine: Eye of the Beholder / Pilot: Xanathar (38thDoe)

Eliminated Race 5
Machine: Crash Rocket / Pilot: Zama Zama (MrTLicious)
Machine: Stephanie Dola / Pilot: ________ (Lucedes)
Machine: Wolfoid / Pilot: Grimm Shado (Capfalcon)

Eliminated Race 6
Machine: Rebel / Pilot: Steve McQueen (Grunt's Ghosts)

Final Standings
1st Place - Machine: Red 5 / Pilot: Joker (Assuran) - 378 points
2nd Place - Machine: Sandman / Pilot: Baron Snoozelord (The Anonymous) - 322 points
3rd Place - Machine: Golden Goose / Pilot: J Grimm (Phyphor) - 319 points
4th Place - Machine: BP-1729 / Pilot: Zapp Brannigan (Infidel) - 295 points
5th Place - Machine: Poovey Drift / Pilot: Shiroi Kabocha (Sepah) - 286 points
6th Place - Machine: Ombra Rossa / Pilot: Johnny Scavezzacollo (Preda) - 272 points
7th Place - Machine: Cracktrap / Pilot: Cracky McGee (schuss) - 270 points
8th Place - Machine: Dracula Nightmare / Pilot: Nosferatu Neptune (Egos) - 264 points
9th Place - Machine: When Worlds Collide / Pilot: NotBedlam (Cythraul) - 258 points
10th Place - Machine: Fab Cab / Pilot: Fabula Rasa (Sir Fabulous) - 252 points
11th Place - Machine: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot / Pilot: Don Juan CherryTempo (Bedlam) - 247 points
12th Place - Machine: Shellshock / Pilot: Mellow Chelo (Auralynx) - 241 points
13th Place - Machine: Ashen Snapper / Pilot: Enylo D'Oslmonne (SLyM) - 218 points
14th Place - Machine: Silver Talon / Pilot: Madame Silver (kime) - 217 points

With the Red 5 / Joker victory, the Crimson Eclipse has claimed the F-Zero preliminary league championship and game victory!

Game Links

Race 1: Mute City - Dream's Gateway
Race 2: Green Plant - Twisting Wind
Race 3: Big Blue - Emperor Wave
Race 4: Lightning - Electric Edge
Race 5: Port Town - Serpentine Knot
Race 6: Fire Field - Core Flare
Race Finale: The Champion of F-Zero PX is...

Master Spreadsheet
Host Notes

4463rwiq7r47.png
MrBlarney on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Standard village wincons, or do you want to be the best (there ever was)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Standard village wincons, or do you want to be the best (there ever was)?

Non-standard win conditions all around. The faction aligned with the player that wins the grand prix (six races) will take the game victory.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's drive!

• Options
    Oh, right - since I am still brewing on the numbers, I request that no machine builds should be sent to me until tomorrow. Feel free to think of pilot and machine names, but don't commit too hard to a machine configuration until I finalize things.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Is mine

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I saw charts and percentages

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't think there's a Nintendo series with a better soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN36CetQw6I

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh, and @Capfalcon‌ because duh.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I believe that our intense scrutiny of Zahkarov's driving style was the only element I lacked prior to entering this race.
    Our victory is therefore inevitable.
    @Phyphor as independent observer.

• Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Show me your moves!

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm not a racist, but...

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Can an eliminated player win overall due to a very high point total on earlier legs?

E: That's a little better phrased now.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    QuestionablySaneQuestionablySane Registered User regular
    I've wanted to try one for a while so...

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !I probably shouldn't...

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i'm not a racist, but...

...You hate everyone who isn't a raven?

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I'll let Maverick take this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpwLhZh66A

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    I'm totally in, SignUp!

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Can an eliminated player win overall due to a very high point total on earlier legs?

No. While a player need not complete all races to win, they must at least start all races in order to be eligible for the championship prize.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Oh fuck yes

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I saw F-Zero and came running.

Should I read the OP? That sounds like the not cool thing to do.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    A race?

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    IM MR. MEESEEKS, LOOK AT ME!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    VROOOOOOOM

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    QuestionablySaneQuestionablySane Registered User regular
    Will we know who each racer/vehicle is, or is it hidden?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    you got boost power!

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Can we name our racers?

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Wipeout is a pretty cool game you guys

• Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    Can we name our racers?

From the OP
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Character and Machine Customization

All players will need to create a character and customize a machine to participate in this game. As part of the signup period, each player should provide me via PM the name of their pilot, the name of their machine, and their machine's stat distribution. Machines have three different attributes, Body, Boost, and Grip:

I forgot to name my machine, but both my pilot and machine have a name, as MrBlarney kindly reminded me that I needed one.

• Options
    I meant name our machines. Everyone should have named themselves Goose.

• Options
    Can we name our racers?
    Pilots and machine names should not be considered private information, as they will be used in narration and results for flavor information. All players are highly encouraged to come up with racers and vehicles for this purpose!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Can we name our racers?
    Pilots and machine names should not be considered private information, as they will be used in narration and results for flavor information. All players are highly encouraged to come up with racers and vehicles for this purpose!

I think the question was, do we know who Racer X is?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Few races are more Fabulous.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Can we submit Pilot and Machine Name, and Machine Build yet?

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Can we name our racers?
    I think the question was, do we know who Racer X is?
    Who is that mysterious Racer X? The world may never really know the man behind the mask... but as far as this game is concerned, players, their pilots, and machines will be quite easily linked.
    Sepah wrote: »
    Can we submit Pilot and Machine Name, and Machine Build yet?
    The tables in the opening post have been updated and player builds may now be submitted.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Be warned that my new racer has just entered into production, and that all attempts to overtake it will not be tolerated.

CC3N71q.jpg

discrider on