Options

Rise of Nations: [chat] Edition

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited June 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
RISE OF NATIONS IS COMING BACK THIS MONTH ON STEAM.

(please ignore the uploader's stupid logo before the video proper starts, and another stupid one after it ends):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnwi0QCrxyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgzFNlaNqMA
Wikipedia wrote:
Rise of Nations is a real-time strategy computer game, developed by Big Huge Games and published by Microsoft Game Studios on May 20, 2003. The development of the game was led by veteran game designer Brian Reynolds, of Civilization II and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The game has taken several concepts from turn-based strategy games such as territories and attrition warfare.[3] Rise of Nations features 18 civilizations, playable through 8 ages of world history.

On April 28, 2004, Big Huge Games released Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, an expansion pack. Later that year, a Gold edition of Rise of Nations was released, which included both the original and the expansion.

In May 2006, Big Huge Games released Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends, a fantasy-themed spin-off with similar gameplay.

Rise of Nations: Tactics, a game for the iOS was in development at Big Huge Games but was cancelled.[4]

Rise of Nations: Extended Edition is a re-release of the main game and the expansion on Steam due to be released in June 2014. Graphical changes to the game include updated textures, lighting and water. Other changes to the game include Steamworks integration which will add cloud saves, Steam Trading Cards, achievements, Twitch integration and multiplayer with Elo ranked matches to the game. Extended Edition is developed by SkyBox Labs.[5][6]

Rise of Nations received many positive reviews for both its soundtrack and gameplay from many websites and magazines and won several awards. It holds an 89% rating at review aggregator site Metacritic.

Reviews[edit]
PC Gamer (UK) - 88%
PC Gamer (US) - 95% (Editor's Choice)
PC Format - 93%
LeveL Turkey - 92%
Gamesmaster UK - 89%
GameSpot - 9.3/10 (Editor's Choice)
IGN - 8.2/10
GameSpy - 90/100
Eurogamer - 9/10
Maximum PC - 10/10
Awards[edit]
GameSpy 2003 Game of the Year - PC RTS[9]
GameSpy Top 10 RTS Games
Best Strategy Game of 2003 by GameSpot
Best PC Game of 2003 by GameSpot

One of my favorite RTSes of all time. It's like Civilization meets Starcraft meets Age of Empires hilarious insanity. Ever wanted to see an army of samurai fight a squad of WWI tanks? YOU CAN. Ever wanted to stealth bomb a Mongolian horde? YOU CAN. Every country gets a special unit and a special power - one of my personal favorites is Russia, whose power is that when you move through their territory your dudes start losing hit points really quickly because LOL WINTER.

This game has been unfairly overlooked for years, partly because it's been so hard to get a hold of for so long (and even harder to get running in widescreen). Now it's on Steam, in glorious widescreen, available to preorder for the low low price of fifteen of bux, or ~$45 for a 4-pack.

BUY.

PLAY.

CONQUER.

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    corporate plant confirmed

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rise of Nations! Woo!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    rtses are p boring imo

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I prefer crusading my kings.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

because RTSes might be just a little too exciting

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    stealth bombers in Crusader Kings: 0

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    sorry but i fucking hate trailers like that. i want to see real gameplay. not some video they put together to look amazing that looks nothing like the actual game.

its one of my pet peeves

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    stealth bombers in Crusader Kings: 0

You can mod those in.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    sorry but i fucking hate trailers like that. i want to see real gameplay. not some video they put together to look amazing that looks nothing like the actual game.

its one of my pet peeves

it's not a trailer, it's just the intro to the game

it always put me in the mood for some pillaging

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

its one of my pet peeves

That's not a trailer, it's the intro. It's the movie that plays when you start up the game.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular

its one of my pet peeves

That's not a trailer, it's the intro. It's the movie that plays when you start up the game.

I HATE THOSE TOO K?

• Options
    so guys

Playing House is like one of the funniest shows on television right now

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    @syndalis‌

older dubstep had a more "muted techstep" sort of sound and is maybe better background information job music than the later beer-soaked Rusko type stuff

benga is an original don of the sound

http://youtu.be/dEZBDce3nkE

skream is reliable

http://youtu.be/KandVSZbZAM

plastician did a lot of early "sublow" style stuff

http://youtu.be/WHGYj1kuozc

desc on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @desc‌

Okay then - is there a good playlist or itunes/pandora radio suggestion or anything I could drop in as a starting seed?

I guess I'll just say "dubstep" and start thumbs upping and downing stuff.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2014

its one of my pet peeves

I HATE THOSE TOO K?

[never mind this post. I posted too hastily and didn't check my stuff]

21stCentury on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Haters gonna hate.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    sweet, those are some p great suggestions.

I'll start there.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    streaming dubstep

unsure if sound cutting out is because of inferior wi-fi connection, or because it's part of the song

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

Haters gonna hate.

i don't hate

i've tried to enjoy CK2 like four times now

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    just thumbs down all the dubstep

• Options
    so guys

speak to me of this, I have never heard of it

• Options
    @desc I saw you got Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Wave"

that is basically the soundtrack to my high school years at home (my dad played it on the piano every night)

• Options
    so guys

it's on USA

the one lady was a big business lady in china and got fired

her best friend is a pregnant lady who caught her husband sending money to an overseas mail order bride and so is now single

hilarity ensues

i'm not a good describer but watch 'is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ZCDcQLtmk

• Options
    seriously though

I feel like there is something asinine about, when someone tells you about a thing - a movie or book or game or song or whatever -immediately going "well I prefer (foo)"

taste in media isn't the fucking Highlander

there can be more than one

• Options
    seriously though

I feel like there is something asinine about, when someone tells you about a thing - a movie or book or game or song or whatever -immediately going "well I prefer (foo)"

True. Counterpoint: This is the internet, which deals only in absolutes.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101209074359.htm

Continuing the talk from the last thread, USE LUBE

LUBE GOOD

• Options
    @‌syndalis

also maybe Loefah

http://youtu.be/Fo6V8rvmQ7g

coki

http://youtu.be/aMV8XlY7WzQ

and then of course there is all the goofy fun late period wobbly stuff

http://youtu.be/3HVKN3iwU_U

• Options
    so guys

it's on USA

the one lady was a big business lady in china and got fired

her best friend is a pregnant lady who caught her husband sending money to an overseas mail order bride and so is now single

hilarity ensues

i'm not a good describer but watch 'is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ZCDcQLtmk

huh this actually sounds pretty cool

I am super behind on my stories I need to add this to the list

• Options
    @desc I saw you got Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Wave"

that is basically the soundtrack to my high school years at home (my dad played it on the piano every night)

I like it but I think I like Stone Flower more

hmm

• Options
    that's not the funniest clip or anything, just the first one i could find :P

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101209074359.htm

Continuing the talk from the last thread, USE LUBE

LUBE GOOD

That was less of a talk and more of an attempt to talk.

BUT HERE IT IS.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    seriously though

just fyi if any of ur opinions deviate from mine...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    also watch some Marquese Scott videos because omg and maybe you will find some songs you like that way

https://www.youtube.com/user/WHZGUD2/videos

• Options

its one of my pet peeves

I HATE THOSE TOO K?

ok no see this is a prime example of what im talking about.

you see this cool video w/ all these armies running around and cool buildings and shit and then you get in the game and all you actually see is a map. civ SEEMS like it would be totally up my alley based on videos like this, but then when you get in game its a completely different feel. when i first tried it was confused about why i couldnt click on a city on the map and go in to it to view it and build buildings and shit. then i realized it was because you just fucking couldnt.

my god it burns my grits.

• Options

its one of my pet peeves

I HATE THOSE TOO K?

ok no see this is a prime example of what im talking about.

you see this cool video w/ all these armies running around and cool buildings and shit and then you get in the game and all you actually see is a map. civ SEEMS like it would be totally up my alley based on videos like this, but then when you get in game its a completely different feel. when i first tried it was confused about why i couldnt click on a city on the map and go in to it to view it and build buildings and shit. then i realized it was because you just fucking couldnt.

my god it burns my grits.

you ninja edited on me!

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

its one of my pet peeves

I HATE THOSE TOO K?

Like ludious never left. ;)

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I prefer Forever Knight

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

its one of my pet peeves

I HATE THOSE TOO K?

Like ludious never left. ;)

oh my

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    (I don't actually prefer Forever Knight.

Highlander was the shiznit.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'll always be a Age of Empires 2 kinda guy, but shit like C&C and Rise of Nations are great too.

488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.